Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70266 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by sugardaddy1(m): 8:02am On Feb 17, 2012
Very interesting debate, let me just add a little comment here.
The Edos are a distinct group that is appaled by the filthiness of the Yorubas and the insatiable greed for money of the igbos. When the chips are down, more effort will be required to make the Edos join the SE igbos than will be required to make them join the SW Yorubas to whom they have been more naturally inclined to for ages. But in my opinion, the Edos are better of in any Southern grouping that is without both the Yorubas and the igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 03, 2012
I am a bini and what I can say is that my parents and grand parents and great grand parents except one of them saw them selfs as a yoruba tribe.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by pazienza(m): 8:21pm On Mar 03, 2012
$ugardaddy:

Very interesting debate, let me just add a little comment here.
The Edos are a distinct group that is appaled by the filthiness of the Yorubas and the insatiable greed for money of the igbos. When the chips are down, more effort will be required to make the Edos join the SE igbos than will be required to make them join the SW Yorubas to whom they have been more naturally inclined to for ages. But in my opinion, the Edos are  better of in any  Southern grouping that is without both the Yorubas and the igbos.

Lol @ igbo insatiable greed for money. Nevertheless,an interesting post.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obalufon: 2:29pm On Mar 16, 2012
Leave Yoruba alone, All omo ka aro ojire know themselves .Omo odua.Ife is cradle of humanity,"iiife oye olori aye gbogbo."we celebrate creation of the world.Bini people have authentic historical linkage with Yorubas we are both omo odua. Even itsekiri lukumi of Niger delta .Igala too share great linguistic and cultural similarities with Yorubas

Yoruba is the language spoken by a set of people in Western Africa. Its native name is ‘Ede Yoruba’, that is the Yoruba language. The language has its origins in the Yoruba people, who are believed to be descendants of Oduduwa, the son of a powerful God called Oludumare. They refer to themselves as ‘Omo Oduduwa’, which means Oduduwa’s children. The Yoruba people originated from the Western Nigeria. Places where the language is spoken are termed ‘Ile Yoruba’, the Yoruba land. The Yoruba lands span across the western region of Nigeria, from far south-western state of Lagos state to the mid-western Kwara state cutting across other states including Ekiti, Ogun, Oyo, Osun and Ondo. Yoruba land extend beyond the boundaries of Nigeria into nearby countries like the republic of Benin, Togo, and mid-eastern Ghana.

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2016
Edo and Igbo are more related then Edo and Yoruba. However, the three were part and parcel of a Super Ancient group that was one before with Igala, Nupe etc. Even there were permutations that proto Igala-Igbo stretched to as far as Ghana. Why the name Igbomina, Oke-eri, Oka etc. All these people had a history no one talks about. More studies and research need to be carried out
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 5:37pm On Aug 14, 2016
Obalufon:
Leave Yoruba alone, All omo ka aro ojire know themselves .Omo odua.Ife is cradle of humanity,"iiife oye olori aye gbogbo."we celebrate creation of the world.Bini people have authentic historical linkage with Yorubas we are both omo odua. Even itsekiri lukumi of Niger delta .Igala too share great linguistic and cultural similarities with Yorubas

Yoruba is the language spoken by a set of people in Western Africa. Its native name is ‘Ede Yoruba’, that is the Yoruba language. The language has its origins in the Yoruba people, who are believed to be descendants of Oduduwa, the son of a powerful God called Oludumare. They refer to themselves as ‘Omo Oduduwa’, which means Oduduwa’s children. The Yoruba people originated from the Western Nigeria. Places where the language is spoken are termed ‘Ile Yoruba’, the Yoruba land. The Yoruba lands span across the western region of Nigeria, from far south-western state of Lagos state to the mid-western Kwara state cutting across other states including Ekiti, Ogun, Oyo, Osun and Ondo. Yoruba land extend beyond the boundaries of Nigeria into nearby countries like the republic of Benin, Togo, and mid-eastern Ghana.
I totally refuse and vehemently disagree, Ife is not the cradle of humanity. People were existing in Ife during the migration of the oduduwa group. Those people where the original owners of that land. They were present day Egba, which some historians will prefer to call a proto Egba-Igbo that inhabited the forests of West Africa from Ghana, cutting across Togo, Benin Republic, Nigeria and Cameroon. Now this brings us to the story of Oduduwa falling from sky and with snail, of course you know that it is a myth, a fairy tale and story to the gods. You know it is all lies, fallacies and didn't happen. When the first king of Benin kingdom came, he saw that the people were not organized, he organized them and started ruling over them. Who were those disorganized people? The same Stock of people that inhabited the forests of west Africa as illustrated
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2016
aljharem:

tell me a word that is similar to edo and igbo ?

even onitsha aka anambra is a yoruba town

north east anmbra is part of igala town

the edos had cloths you never until you got incontact with the hausa,yoruba and edos.

so tell me the similarity, tongue
Five - Edo (ise), Igbo (ise), Edo week days EKEN, ORIE, UKHUO or EKENAKA, AHO. Igbo week days EKE, ORIE, NKWO, AFO. God, Edo call Osenobua, Igbo say Oseburuwa, Edo say Orisha or Olisa or Oliha, Igbo say Olisa or Orisa. Edo has four market days, Igbo has four market days . Farm is Ugbo in Edo and Ugbo in Igbo. You asked for just one I've given you many. Who told you the ordinary Benin man had clothes? The only people that were clothed and beaded were only the royal family members and the nobles, same applied to Igboland. Stop making assumptions. For your information, Igboland was more developed just as Benin if not more than them when the whitemen ventured into this part of the world, that they termed Igbo as being very intelligent and innovative by what the white men evidenced when they came. To the extent that Oba of Benin employed the services of the the ancient Nkwerre gun makers to make guns for the empire. I know that history, that was how Nkwerre ventured into Benin, Orogodo and other places along the trail.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 6:37pm On Aug 14, 2016
PhysicsQED:

There is some cultural and archaeological evidence, in addition to historical evidence in oral tradition and documents of a longstanding connection, though. Much of this stuff is in books or articles, but I didn't bother to post any (and probably still won't) because this thread is mostly political anyway. Some cultural similarities have already been discussed in the culture section in some threads. There are of course, some similarities or cultural connections with Igbos, and I didn't discuss that either.

As for linguistic evidence, as I posted on the fifth page of this thread, Edo is basically linguistically equidistant from Yoruba (56% cognate score with Edo over 100 selected words) and Igbo (50% cognate score with Edo over the same selected 100 words). These languages may all sound quite different today, but it seems very probable that several thousands of years ago they were the same and they all later went on to develop their own peculiar/unique features and characteristics.
Igbo, Edo, Igala, Yoruba, Nupe and other related groups that cover the forest parts of Ghana, Benin, Togo, Nigeria, Cameroon were once same group that diverged resulting in altering of languages and dialects. However, Edo, Igbo and Igala have a lot of structures and more intermingling with each other, they shared a lot together and influenced each other one way or the other. Benin had a powerful empire
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 6:52pm On Aug 14, 2016
dayokanu:

The bolded.

Some m0rons on this Thread (Onlylies) claimed they can differentiate 2 Southern Nigerian by looks. What could be more id10tic.

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by mr1759: 5:04am On Aug 15, 2016
Edo will say- okhokho(chicken) igbo - okhukho
Edo say- Dooo(greeting) igbo -ndooo
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 8:19am On Aug 15, 2016
PStylish:
@ekwy nwa
Wow.I read most of your posts and they are something else.You must fantasize a lot.And you sound feminine.
Its unfortunate you didnt meet your match in me early enough otherwise you would have fled the thread a long time ago. Mind you, I dont throw insults.

Now mention one Igbo dead or alive, home or abroad that is as great as Olusegun Obasanjo in terms of power,wealth,influence etc.
I can tell you authoritatively that the size of land owned by Obasanjo alone in Lagos is more than that owned by all the Igbos put together.I know you will say Obasanjo is an Igbo man now.
Well Mr, if Obasanjo is your standard for greatness then Yorubas are dwarfs. The greatest and only general Nigeria ever had was an Igbo man called General J. T. U. Aguiyi Ironsi. He was the first Nigerian, West African and African to be such and the first black man to head a UN mission. He was commissioned by the British/Queen on merit. That was when merit was merit, and not nepotism. All these people that parade themselves as generals know they are all mediocres and quacks. Now your great man Obasanjo committed not only corruption but also genocide in Odi, Chioba and Zaki Biam. All of them were boys to Ironsi and they all know he is superior to them

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 8:54am On Aug 15, 2016
NegroNtns:

Its a good thing you recognize that because Ibos have been living in Lagos since the time of Ojuku father. . . and then Zik came in and then more of you came in. . . .yet, Lagos rulership has never been in ibo hand.   Yoruba has been governor, Midwesterner has been governor, Midbelt has been governor, Northerner has been governor. . . . . but ibo, the chief financier and group that bankroll the economy (as you put it) has never been in power.  

what does that tell you?   You are a looser!   Peple that dont have property or finance Lagos are ruling over you.  Arent you ashamed?
Shut up! Quack historian.. Mouthy Yoruba... For your information Two Igbo men have ruled Lagos, Rear Admiral Ndubuisi KANU and Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe. Don't distort history out of hatred. That's the way you idiots formulated your fairy tale story of origin. I mean are you Yorubas not ashamed of you guys? You like things that are not on merit. Lagos this Lagos that, without resources from the South South and Southeast, where would have the money that developed that Lagos come from? Monkey heads!

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by YungMillionaire: 7:36pm On Aug 15, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:
Edo and Igbo are more related then Edo and Yoruba. However, the three were part and parcel of a Super Ancient group that was one before with Igala, Nupe etc. Even there were permutations that proto Igala-Igbo stretched to as far as Ghana. Why the name Igbomina, Oke-eri, Oka etc. All these people had a history no one talks about. More studies and research need to be carried out

cool Dude I am neither Edo or Ibo but my mom is full blooded Edo. And I will tell you the CLEAR CUT TRUTH my mom's grand-parents considered themselves Yorubas (and spoke the language fluently). Mind you they are Edos but (for example) when they meet a Yoruba person in the market they say 'my kinsman or kinswoman.' This cultural recognition was never accorded to the Ibos who were also in the market in large numbers. Back in the day, many Edo people spoke Yoruba language fluently, nowadays the Yoruba influence on Edo waning because of politics and changing times. cool

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 6:42pm On Aug 18, 2016
Rhino4dm:
Why una no fit open shops during occup Nigeria? No bi una bi majority? No bi un get Lagos??

Aboki still they call Igbo "oga" but when to sluagter Igbo reach him go close im eye slaughter Igbo like nama. Igbos like to they make mouth, yet they keep burying their deaths like chicken, time after time without reprisals.  

Look at how they fled Kano en mass?? last year, Adrew Uweh was baosting about how mighty Igbos are in Kano and their ability to face anybody and all that, just two suicide bomb attacks all the Igbos are shouting "MAYDAY!" from Kano
Is this not the height of stupidity? Ok, so when will Yoruba's fight their own civil war with the other parts of Nigeria? We can't wait to see.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 6:43pm On Aug 18, 2016
Rhino4dm:
Why una no fit open shops during occup Nigeria? No bi una bi majority? No bi un get Lagos??

Aboki still they call Igbo "oga" but when to sluagter Igbo reach him go close im eye slaughter Igbo like nama. Igbos like to they make mouth, yet they keep burying their deaths like chicken, time after time without reprisals.  

Look at how they fled Kano en mass?? last year, Adrew Uweh was baosting about how mighty Igbos are in Kano and their ability to face anybody and all that, just two suicide bomb attacks all the Igbos are shouting "MAYDAY!" from Kano
Is this not the height of stupidity? So bombs detect only Igbos right? Were yorubas and other Christians in Kano not affected as well? What did they do in form of reprisal? Ok, so when will Yoruba's fight their own civil war with the other parts of Nigeria? We can't wait to see.

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 8:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
YungMillionaire:

cool Dude I am neither Edo or Ibo but my mom is full blooded Edo. And I will tell you the CLEAR CUT TRUTH my mom's grand-parents considered themselves Yorubas (and spoke the language fluently). Mind you they are Edos but (for example) when they meet a Yoruba person in the market they say 'my kinsman or kinswoman.' This cultural recognition was never accorded to the Ibos who were also in the market in large numbers. Back in the day, many Edo people spoke Yoruba language fluently, nowadays the Yoruba influence on Edo waning because of politics and changing times. cool
Let me clear my throat before talking to you so you hear me well. Now go to documented history, Benin is older than Ife, I hope I'm clear here. They spoke their language and unique culture which was older than ife. Please, how come Mr fluency, that Igbo and Edo, have four market days that sound alike. I'm talking about that market you are using as an illustration
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SUNNYsparkle: 8:43pm On Aug 18, 2016
peckhamboi:

Very intelligent words, so everybody knows how greedy and ungrateful these peoplwe are
The Oba of Benin speaks Bini language fluently... I'm not aware of any other language he should be speaking
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by laudate: 3:54am On Dec 27, 2016
Too many revisionists on this board... sad
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 5:54pm On Dec 27, 2016
Obiagu1:

If you know that, then why all these Edos are our brothers when in reality their closest brothers are in the East?

Is it Yoruba propaganda or brainwashing?
DO YOU NOT KNOW YORUBA RACE MIGRATED TO EDO ENVIRONMENT SOME CENTURIES AGO TO PART OF EDO STATE ?. GO AND VERIFY, EVEN THEIR CHIEFS WILL TELL YOU THEIR HISTORY . YORUBA CAN CALL EDO LINEAGE, A BROTHER, BECAUSE OF THE KINGLY LINEAGE CONNECTION. FURTHERMORE THEY DREW INSPIRATION FROM YORUBA IRON AGE DEVELOPMENT AROUND 14TH CENTURY. HISTORY HAS RECORD OF IT. YORUBAS HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH EDOS FOR CENTURIES AND THIS DIDN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT WE RECOGNISE THEIR SEPARATE IDENTITY FROM YORUBA RACE AND NEVER A TIME YORUBA FORCEFULLY LAY CLAIM TO EDO. UNLIKE YOU EBOES THAT WANT EVERY TRIBE TO BE CALLED EBOS JUST TO GRAB LAND AND HAVE ACESS TO THE SEE. BUT I TRUST YOU EBOES, YOU WILL NOT DARE SUCH IN YORUBA TERRITORY. I GUESS YOU HEARD WHAT DEJI AKURE TOLD YOUR EBOE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO MISBEHAVE ONDO STATE AS A WHOLE . IT IS STILL FRESH AND SIZZLING.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ehikwe22: 9:02am On Dec 28, 2016
To me as an Anioma man, I think Bini has a lot of similarities with Igbos but many Nigerians are ignorant of this. I'm between both groups and it's easier to know which of my language and culture is Edo and which one is Igbo but sometimes I found out that some of the ones I thought to be Igbo are in Edo and some Edo are in Igbo. Many of them.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by lawani: 6:13am On Dec 29, 2016
IF YOU ARE TALKING OF LANGUAGE, I BELIEVE YORUBOID, EDOID AND IGBOID ARE EQUALLY RELATED. A GOOD PART OF YORUBA VOCAB RHYMES WITH IGBO

IGBA- TIME
AGBALA- COURTYARD
GIRIPA- YOUNG MATURED MALE
OKUTA- STONE
OKA- MAIZE
EWURE- GOAT
AND ETC THERE IS A BOOK BY AN OAU PROF TREATING THE SUBJECT.

THE THING ABOUT YORUBA LANGUAGE IS IT STRUCTURALLY IS KEMITIC EGYPTIAN AND BY OVER 50 PERCENT VOCAB, THE REST OF THE VOCAB IS AKOKOID, NUPOID, EDOID, IGBOID , FON, IJAW, BARIBA, HAUSA AND ETC. IS IT A NIGER CONGO LANGUAGE? WELL, EVEN SIERRA LEONEAN CREOLE MAY NOW BE CLASSIFIED A NIGER CONGO LANGUAGE!. THE YORUBA LANGUAGE WAS NOT SPOKEN IN WEST AFRICA FIVE THOUSAND YEARS AGO, THE PRESENT YORUBA WERE AKOKOID WHICH MAY INFACT COLLAPSE INTO EDOID, IGBOID AND ETC AS AT THEN. HOWEVER NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND EASILY ANY LANGUAGE SPOKEN 5000 YEARS AGO. THAT IS FOR LANGUAGE.

CULTURALLY, YORUBAS ARE CLOSER TO RUSSIANS, JAPANESE, BRITISH OR CHINESE THAN PRE NIGERIA IGBOS!. BUT AROCHUKWU IGBOS ARE CLOSER TO YORUBAS THAN THEY ARE TO THEIR FELLOW IGBOS THAT THEY SHARE BOUNDARY WITH.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by laudate: 11:44pm On Dec 29, 2016
YungMillionaire:

You forgot to add, that there are tons of full-blooded Edo people who bear Yoruba names, too!! sad

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 10:04am On Dec 30, 2016
lawani:
IF YOU ARE TALKING OF LANGUAGE, I BELIEVE YORUBOID, EDOID AND IGBOID ARE EQUALLY RELATED. A GOOD PART OF YORUBA VOCAB RHYMES WITH IGBO

IGBA- TIME
AGBALA- COURTYARD
OKUTA- STONE
OKA- MAIZE
EWURE- GOAT

THE THING ABOUT YORUBA LANGUAGE IS IT STRUCTURALLY IS KEMITIC EGYPTIAN AND BY OVER 50 PERCENT VOCAB, THE REST OF THE VOCAB IS AKOKOID, NUPOID, EDOID, IGBOID , FON, IJAW, BARIBA, HAUSA AND ETC. IS IT A NIGER CONGO LANGUAGE? WELL, EVEN SIERRA LEONEAN CREOLE MAY NOW BE CLASSIFIED A NIGER CONGO LANGUAGE!. THE YORUBA LANGUAGE WAS NOT SPOKEN IN WEST AFRICA FIVE THOUSAND YEARS AGO, THE PRESENT YORUBA WERE AKOKOID WHICH MAY INFACT COLLAPSE INTO EDOID, IGBOID AND ETC AS AT THEN. HOWEVER NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND EASILY ANY LANGUAGE SPOKEN 5000 YEARS AGO. THAT IS FOR LANGUAGE.

CULTURALLY, YORUBAS ARE CLOSER TO RUSSIANS, JAPANESE, BRITISH OR CHINESE THAN PRE NIGERIA IGBOS!. BUT AROCHUKWU IGBOS ARE CLOSER TO YORUBAS THAN THEY ARE TO THEIR FELLOW IGBOS THAT THEY SHARE BOUNDARY WITH.
Are you sure youruba are closer to the after mentioned countries above? Even the assumed 50% recognised spoken words of Yoruba related to Kemitic language can traced to different dynastic rule that existed before in Egypt at different times in history. However, certain words are more Asiatic or Middle East language in Yoruba language. But explain the research done to testify to the Yoruba language relationship with the countries you mentioned accordingly .I am curious.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ladiguy(m): 2:04pm On Dec 30, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:
Well Mr, if Obasanjo is your standard for greatness then Yorubas are dwarfs. The greatest and only general Nigeria ever had was an Igbo man called General J. T. U. Aguiyi Ironsi. He was the first Nigerian, West African and African to be such and the first black man to head a UN mission. He was commissioned by the British/Queen on merit. That was when merit was merit, and not nepotism. All these people that parade themselves as generals know they are all mediocres and quacks. Now your great man Obasanjo committed not only corruption but also genocide in Odi, Chioba and Zaki Biam. All of them were boys to Ironsi and they all know he is superior to them

You be fool.

2 Likes

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ladiguy(m): 2:10pm On Dec 30, 2016
Olu317:
DO YOU NOT KNOW YORUBA RACE MIGRATED TO EDO ENVIRONMENT SOME CENTURIES AGO TO PART OF EDO STATE ?. GO AND VERIFY, EVEN THEIR CHIEFS WILL TELL YOU THEIR HISTORY . YORUBA CAN CALL EDO LINEAGE, A BROTHER, BECAUSE OF THE KINGLY LINEAGE CONNECTION. FURTHERMORE THEY DREW INSPIRATION FROM YORUBA IRON AGE DEVELOPMENT AROUND 14TH CENTURY. HISTORY HAS RECORD OF IT. YORUBAS HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH EDOS FOR CENTURIES AND THIS DIDN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT WE RECOGNISE THEIR SEPARATE IDENTITY FROM YORUBA RACE AND NEVER A TIME YORUBA FORCEFULLY LAY CLAIM TO EDO. UNLIKE YOU EBOES THAT WANT EVERY TRIBE TO BE CALLED EBOS JUST TO GRAB LAND AND HAVE ACESS TO THE SEE. BUT I TRUST YOU EBOES, YOU WILL NOT DARE SUCH IN YORUBA TERRITORY. I GUESS YOU HEARD WHAT DEJI AKURE TOLD YOUR EBOE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO MISBEHAVE ONDO STATE AS A WHOLE . IT IS STILL FRESH AND SIZZLING.

Yoruba didnt migrate to Edo .Go read history dude.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 3:30pm On Dec 30, 2016
ladiguy:

Yoruba didnt migrate to Edo .Go read history dude.
go to part of Akoko Edo, you will see for yourself. I am not interested in dealing with someone who doesn't have fact but based opinion on sentiments. Facts are facts. People naturally refer to ILE IFE as their ancestral home.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 3:37pm On Dec 30, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:
Let me clear my throat before talking to you so you hear me well. Now go to documented history, Benin is older than Ife, I hope I'm clear here. They spoke their language and unique culture which was older than ife. Please, how come Mr fluency, that Igbo and Edo, have four market days that sound alike. I'm talking about that market you are using as an illustration
EDO PEOPLE ARE FUNNY. WHERE ON EARTH DID YOU READ YOUR OWN HISTORY THAT SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED EDO CULTURE OLDER THAN ILE IFE?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:
DONT MISINFORM IF YOU DON'T KNOW. THEN ASK QUESTIONS. ERI IN YORUBA MEANS, WITNESS WHILE OKE IS MOUNTAIN TOP OR MOUNTAIN. YOU DID MENTION SOME YORUBA LAND WHICH YOU CLAIM NEED TO BE STUDIED. HOWEVER, MANY OF YOU FAILED BECAUSE OF YOUR PROPAGANDA. YORUBA HAVE BEEN USING THE WORD, “IGBO", BEFORE THE KNOWN EXISTENCE OF EBOES. AND IT WAS EBOES THAT CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO “IGBO". YOURUBA HAVE many country homes attached to “igbo" term. Don't change our history. Thanks. Proudly Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ladiguy(m): 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2016
Olu317:
go to part of Akoko Edo, you will see for yourself. I am not interested in dealing with someone who doesn't have fact but based opinion on sentiments. Facts are facts. People naturally refer to ILE IFE as their ancestral home.

Relax that part of Akoko edo you mentioned is the same with the Akoko's in Ondo and the Akoko's are Yopruba sub goup.
Were you out of the country or new to reading articles on online or you dont read books or listen to discussion either on television or online forum.

The issue about Yoruba and the Edo's are well discussed and explained. Seee dude i no fit go talk much .You just need to learn your history and be versed before youn drop online . It seems you be teenager and you just bought a phone to surf the net ?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 8:46pm On Dec 30, 2016
ladiguy:

Relax that part of Akoko edo you mentioned is the same with the Akoko's in Ondo and the Akoko's are Yopruba sub goup.
Were you out of the country or new to reading articles on online or you dont read books or listen to discussion either on television or online forum.

The issue about Yoruba and the Edo's are well discussed and explained. Seee dude i no fit go talk much .You just need to learn your history and be versed before youn drop online . It seems you be teenager and you just bought a phone to surf the net ?
I am not on in dealing with you since you chose not to have respect. I don't need to explain to you the difference between Akoko Edo and the Akoko ondo. But here is the bombshell,does it mean that people that lay claim to Edo state, are all Binis or Afemai? ? You don't deserve to be informed because your negative terms which has no basis in the first place. It is obvious I don't belong to your contemporary. Go study to be well informed.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ladiguy(m): 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2016
Olu317:
I am not on in dealing with you since you chose not to have respect. I don't need to explain to you the difference between Akoko Edo and the Akoko ondo. But here is the bombshell,does it mean that people that lay claim to Edo state, are all Binis or Afemai? ? You don't deserve to be informed because your negative terms which has no basis in the first place. It is obvious I don't belong to your contemporary. Go study to be well informed.

Go back to your state and let them teach you what you dont know .
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by cheruv: 11:17am On Jan 01, 2017
lawani:

IGBA- TIME
AGBALA- COURTYARD
OKUTA- STONE
OKA- MAIZE
EWURE- GOAT

CULTURALLY, YORUBAS ARE CLOSER TO RUSSIANS, JAPANESE, BRITISH OR CHINESE THAN PRE NIGERIA IGBOS!. BUT [s]AROCHUKWU IGBOS ARE CLOSER TO YORUBAS THAN THEY ARE TO THEIR FELLOW IGBOS THAT THEY SHARE BOUNDARY WITH[/s].
Aros migrated from Nri/Nshi/Nhi as businessmen before arriving at and conquering Arochukwu in 1700. The only non Igbo group they have relationship with are the Ibibio, who they conquered Arochukwu from during the Aro-Ibibio wars.
Like I told your brother omofunav in another thread, stop claiming relationship where there's none.
As for the topic at hand, Idu has no relationship with Igbos... Yes they conquered Anioma in the 1570s but were defeated and expelled from Anioma during the great Ubulu war of 1755. And since after that war, Idu has focused their conquests westwards.
The people you see claiming Bini influence in Igboland are descendants of the Bini soldiers that were allowed to settle after their army was defeated in the ubulu war...that's the same thing you see among some Northern Igbos that claim igala. After their troops were crushed in the battle of lake omelu-Igala in the 1800s, the scattered remains of their army settled among the northern population, give rise to the current igala in Anambra and Enugwu states

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (Reply)

Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.