Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,179 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (12345 Views)

2 Programming Languages For Andriod(. Apk) / Help A Beginner Learn Web N Mobile App Designing / Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by ektbear: 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2012
Delomos is again 100% on point
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 06, 2012
ekt_bear:

Delomos is again 100% on point
Yeah right. *bows to delomos*
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 06, 2012
Start with java. It is the easiest and best for beginners. It also gives you the foundation required to learn any other language easily.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 9:58pm On Feb 06, 2012
nwanna89:

Start with java. It is the easiest and best for beginners. It also gives you the foundation required to learn any other language easily.
Try and read previous answers and understand why Java might not be such a great choice.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 06, 2012
delomos:

Try and read previous answers and understand why Java might not be such a great choice.

Just speaking from experience. Am doing a masters in Computer Engineering, and all the new languages am forced to use are relatively easier for me to understand, because of my background with java. Starting programming with any of the functional programming languages isn't usually a good idea. Object oriented programming especially with java is easier for the beginner, because most of the implementations are done under the hood for the programmer. So, thats just my opinion.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 10:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
nwanna89:

, because most of the implementations are done under the hood for the programmer. So, thats just my opinion.

1. Can you tell me those non-java languages you're referring to AND what you did in those languages?
2. Isn't hiding implementations (at least when learning), a crutch?

Yes, there are tons, and tons of java libraries/methods, and, even more Java programmers writing "crutched" code.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 06, 2012
delomos:

1. Can you tell me those non-java languages you're referring to AND what you did in those languages?
2. Isn't hiding implementations (at least when learning), a crutch?

Yes, there are tons, and tons of java libraries/methods, and, even more Java programmers writing "crutched" code.

C, python, prolog are more lean more towards the functional programming paradigm than imperative programming. I have a good number of non-java languages, and I must say, java has been the easiest so far. Hiding implementation is not the best for a professional/expert programmer. But, for a beginner, it is usually better for him not to know a lot about what is going on under. This way, he understands the basic syntax and semantics of programming, before delving into the more complicated stuff. Java is closely related to C#. C# is somewhat close to C++, and C++ isnt too far from C. That is the progression I used, and I was able to program with C without ever opening a book to learn it. Just saying
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by ektbear: 10:36pm On Feb 06, 2012
Java is not as simple as a language like Python or Ruby for the following reasons:

a) library dependencies. Is your classpath variable set up properly for this external class you want to use?
b) strong typing of java
c) Compiling versus just interpreting a script
d) REPLs (Java has one I've used before, but it isn't very good.)
e) Nice functional features like each(), map(), reduce() are missing from Java (I understand that Java now has an enhanced for loop that is similar to this, but not quite as good.)
f) Java doesn't have first class functions. So if you want to send a function object to another class/function, you first have to wrap it in a class.

All of these things I think make the above two languages a better choice for beginners than Java.

Not to mention the simpler syntax:

1) Semicolons at the end of lines optional in ruby
2) If a method f of an object b has no arguments, can simply write b.f rather than b.f()
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by ektbear: 10:44pm On Feb 06, 2012
Obviously for an experienced person, none of the above are fatal flaws.

But for a person relatively new to programming, simpler is best.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
Yea I agree with most of your points above. Java tends to be more verbose than some other languages. However, the reason I say java is better for a programmer is because its easier of the eyes of the new programmer, and better illustrates the major programming concepts like encapsulation and all. Am only speaking from my experience however. Might be different for others. There is no one language better than the other. It all depends on what the poster is looking for.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:08am On Feb 07, 2012
so if my goal is to develope for mobile OS, I must learn a high level language that is entirely unrelated to my objective? How plausible is that?. I started with C++ and I can't see any deficiency in my coding ability. Granted, It was tough but that was because of the vast libraries (which is very intimidating) but all I did was I chose a pattern and stuck to it. now I can understand most codes without studying their syntax. If I had started with python, I see myself doing twice the work cos I will struggle with python as a beginner and then struggle when transcending to C++ and it's manual memory management issues. "hard" is always good unless you are lazy or have a partial interest in programming. I also believe that what language u choose to learn is irrelevant if you can't design an efficient algorithm.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by ektbear: 12:15am On Feb 07, 2012
If your goal is to develop for the Android (iPhone), you should probably just start with Java (objective C I suppose?). I imagine that it will be VERY rough going though, if you are completely new to programming period.

On the other hand, if you are just interested in learning how to program in general, and aren't specifically interested in making phone apps or whatever, I would suggest Python or Ruby.

(Btw, supposedly you can use scripting languages to write apps for phones.)
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 1:07am On Feb 07, 2012
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 2:52am On Feb 07, 2012
@nwanna89
nwanna89:

, Java is closely related to C#. C# is somewhat close to C++, and C++ isnt too far from C. That is the progression I used, and I was able to program with C without ever opening a book to learn it. Just saying
Java, C#, C++ <== C and usually, most people (project) stick to one of those. And you made a good point, perhaps if you read the original question, you might answer that, s/he is trying to decide between C# or PHP.

@lordZOUGA
I must admit, I'm very lazy, actually, that what got me attracted to programming, my laziness, if I can make a computer do the work, why the f^^k should I be doing it? Since you're quite hard-working, you found 1 pattern and stuck to it, serious? Of the dozen+ popular patterns, you stuck to just one? I think that explains why you don't see any deficiency in your codes; how about leaving C++ alone for a while, get back to your beginners mind and learn && understand a few more patterns perhaps it might help you write more efficient algorithms.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 3:06am On Feb 07, 2012
I wonder what the big-deal is with learning languages self. Haba? I learnt too many languages to count - i even learnt other human languages sef. Kini big deal.

@poster, if you cannot learn real languages, go and learn languages like HTML, Cold Fusion, Or Heck - Go and Learn How To Install and Customized Wordpress - All those CMS Installers for nigeria are now calling themselves programmers.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 3:08am On Feb 07, 2012
*dhtml:

, Go and Learn How To Install and Customized Wordpress - All those CMS Installers for nigeria are now calling themselves programmers.
Amen oo [size=15pt] cheesy[/size]
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:20am On Feb 07, 2012
delomos:

@nwanna89[/b]Java, C#, C++ <== C and usually, most people (project) stick to one of those. And you made a good point, perhaps if you read the original question, you might answer that, s/he is trying to decide between C# or PHP.

[b]@lordZOUGA

I must admit, I'm very lazy, actually, that what got me attracted to programming, my laziness, if I can make a computer do the work, why the f^^k should I be doing it? Since you're quite hard-working, you found 1 pattern and stuck to it, serious? Of the dozen+ popular patterns, you stuck to just one? I think that explains why you don't see any deficiency in your codes; how about leaving C++ alone for a while, get back to your beginners mind and learn && understand a few more patterns perhaps it might help you write more efficient algorithms.
I think at this point, it's safe for me to say that you don't really know what u are saying. Every programmer has a pattern that makes his code different from the next programmer. The differences can either be subtle or prominent but it's always there. I don't give a damn about what u think of my coding ability so am going to leave you to ur conclusions on that. @op, please refrain from asking this type of questions on Nairaland, am new here too and it took me a while to understand that these guys can talk. I think you have been given enough advice. Act wisely.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 07, 2012
That thread was created by a "CMS installer" => https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-864802.0.html
The order are:
CMS Installer < CMS User < CMS Extensions Developer < Above
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by foluski: 10:26am On Feb 07, 2012
@ jim jones & afamguy: U guys are not serious. u two must b programo-comedians. abeg make we talk beta tin ojare!
For one, I av just started learnin worthwhile programmin in d Java language (I only knew au to program in fortran bifor) but I didnt knw ruby & python were so in vogue though I knew they existed. html I knw to b very much in use for websites, & I knw C to b kind of like d elder/senior but not really d father of dem all. I just tink ur choice depends on wat u want to do-websites, blogs, apps & applets, oop wit a lot of GUIs etc.
@op learning two languages depends on u. However, I tink practice is key-will u b able to exhaustively practise d two? so i advise u to take one, bcom an all-problems-solvin guru in it & tacklin odaz aint gonna b hard. programmin is about who u r & wat u can do, & not really all about syntax. chiao
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^^You just insulted the Italiano language - it is ciao - pronounced chow (for both bye and hi) - i am a multilingual actually. Sorry for the digression amicos.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 12:47pm On Feb 07, 2012
lordZOUGA:

I think at this point, it's safe for me to say that you don't really know what u are saying. Every programmer has a pattern that makes his code different from the next programmer. The differences can either be subtle or prominent,

If you're talking about coding style, yes. If you're talking about Programming/Software Design Patterns, NO. You can't just stick to one. Is just like saying, in coding I found arrays and I stuck to using only arrays in my data structures.

See here about design patterns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design_pattern
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by vinderbilt: 4:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
Thank you guys, really appreciate the help and the community sense, I'll let you know of which of the languages I wanna go with as soon as I finish reading all the posts.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Fayimora(m): 9:29pm On Feb 07, 2012
@delmos and @ekt I think ya'll should read this => http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1113611/what-does-ruby-have-that-python-doesnt-and-vice-versa DO you want to know why google uses python?

@delomos I doubt if Ruby is faster. . . Matz himself said Ruby supports convention over performance.

@OP I think its not about what language u have to learn or how many languages you want to learn. You most definitely have a dream/goal or some point u want to get to. Thats what brought you into this line of expertise in the first place. So was it android development? If yes then you should be learning Java and not Python. Is it iPhone/iPad development? Then you should be spending more time on Objective-C. Right now I think its pointless trying to learn a gazillion languages when you aren't even good at the one you are supposed to be good at. As time goes on, you would know if you need to learn some other language or not. Have that in mind.

@*dhtml,  CMS installers? lmaooooo  cheesy man ur crazzzzyy
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 9:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Fayimora
Fayimora:

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=12pt]@delmos and @ekt I think ya'll should read this => http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1113611/what-does-ruby-have-that-python-doesnt-and-vice-versa DO you want to know why google uses python?

@delomos I doubt if Ruby is faster. . . Matz himself said Ruby supports convention over performance.

1. Yes, I do know why Google uses python. Do YOU know why Facebook uses PHP, or why Groupon uses Rails? What exactly is your point?

2. Every modern language (c. 90's+) are caring more for convention, readability over speed. So, in the speak of is Ruby faster; the real question is, faster to write or faster to execute? And yes, it's absolutely faster to write.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by foluski: 11:07pm On Feb 07, 2012
@*dhtml : U definitely speak a lot of languages & even computer languages- sùgbón sé E gbó tiantia? Sé E gbó ède Oòduà? & Est ce que vous comprenez le Français? Est ce que vous êtes nigerien?? Ou tu es d'où
Actually, I didn't mean to kill d word. As d ambassador of d italian language, *dhtml please accept my apologies. Ódàbò
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by vinderbilt: 12:10am On Feb 08, 2012
Thanks a lot guys, at first, the thread made me a bit more confused undecided but after reading all the posts, I have an idea of the way forward in my new programming quest!

I've played with .Net and PHP earlier, but I want to get into serious web development now. Building powerful web based applications like social media and ecommerce sites. I think I'll go with Python for now or may be ruby if I can get my hands on ruby on rails.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 12:58am On Feb 08, 2012
vinderbilt:

, but I want to get into serious web development now. Building powerful web based applications like social media and ecommerce sites. I think I'll go with Python for now or may be ruby if I can get my hands on ruby on rails.

Good choice, just cut all the bullsh$t, for your ruby on rails, this is awesome: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book?version=3.2#top

It takes you from zero knowledge to building full scale web app (by the time your done with the lessons, you will have build a twitter clone).
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by Nobody: 1:43am On Feb 08, 2012
foluski:

@*dhtml : U definitely speak a lot of languages & even computer languages- sùgbón sé E gbó tiantia? Sé E gbó ède Oòduà? & Est ce que vous comprenez le Français? Est ce que vous êtes nigerien?? Ou tu es d'où
Actually, I didn't mean to kill d word. As d ambassador of d italian language, *dhtml please accept my apologies. Ódàbò
Otio, emi ko ni ambassador italo, my second language after ingles is espanol, and my french is average, and si i can speak yoruba fairly well.

Now back to the topic - i love the arguments of these guys - full of facts rather like Lawyers.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by foluski: 10:05am On Feb 08, 2012
@ *dhtml : Considerin d number of languages u say u understand, u don gbìyànjú. but u haven't answered my question: Tu es d'où?
@ evribodi (*dhtml, nwanna89, etc): pls can u giv me d full gist of all d places to get books & tutorials? I av deitel's Java: how to program 9/e. d help wil b appreciated.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by ektbear: 10:52am On Feb 08, 2012
If you just want to do web development stuff and at the same time use a good language/toolchain, I'd suggest Ruby on Rails.

This in particular is really useful: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/

Doesn't teach your Ruby though. Just teaches you Rails (they are different things.)

If you want to learn Ruby syntax, use this: http://ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

Fayimora, I don't think a 20% or 30% speed difference in Ruby vs. say other languages is a huge deal. The bottleneck these days is man-hours, not really computation. You can always just throw more computers at the problem, then worry about optimizing later.

I doubt Twitter would have gone anywhere if they'd implemented in an annoying language like Java from scratch.

No, they built their systems first in Ruby, then later started moving critical, performance-sensitive components over to Scala (a JVM language.)
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by ektbear: 10:54am On Feb 08, 2012
The default version of Ruby on my computer is actually JRuby (Ruby for the JVM.)

You can write Ruby scripts than can be compiled to jar files. This can come in really, really damn handy. . . write everything in an easy language like Ruby, then find the bottlenecks in your code and re-implement those in Java.
Re: Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? by delomos(m): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
@ekt_bear
ekt_bear:

1. Doesn't teach your Ruby though. Just teaches you Rails (they are different things.)
2. Fayimora, I don't think a 20% or 30% speed difference in Ruby vs. say other languages is a huge deal. The bottleneck these days is man-hours, not really computation. You can always just throw more computers at the problem, then worry about optimizing later.
I doubt Twitter would have gone anywhere if they'd implemented in an annoying language like Java from scratch.
No, they built their systems first in Ruby, then later started moving critical, performance-sensitive components over to Scala (a JVM language.)

1. There's actually a chapter there on ruby (rather brief though, just enough to get along with rails), one will need a more serious book to enough ruby idioms though ('Programming Ruby' comes to mind which i'm actually going through now)

2. Nailed it. I should also add that is what has lead to the growth of agile development, man-power is very expensive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Data Scientists In Nigeria, Lets Talk / The Future Of Machine Learning In Nigeria / Trying To Run Php Project After Installing Wamp Server

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.