Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,350 members, 7,780,941 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:58 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (139674 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by dickoflife(m): 4:34pm On Apr 05, 2016
Bros hit me up please.
femiap:

Phizzle....ssn is not what your friend should be thinking right now!!!!.Officially she has a grace of 5 months to be reinstated back through her school

International Office.Yankee is all about having a plan A and B.Before i came to the states, i knew my money will only last for two semesters(jan-dec) for

tuition.Before the end of my first semester i was in a relationship with a sweet and educated lady and some few weeks before the end of my second semester we were

married.When the spring semester for 2012 started in January of this year, i couldn't register because i owe the school so i called them and told them i was married

and have filed for adjustment of status based on my marriage to a USC.I FILED IN FEBRUARY AND I HAVE MY GREEN CARD NOW.I will be going back to school in fall and

sallie mae already approved my application for student loan.So if your friend lacks fund which is understandable, what she should do is to get married to a USC and file for adjustment of status or else she will receive a Notification To Appear before an immigration judge from ICE!!!!!.I quite understand how your friend feels at the moment coz have been in that situation.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 06, 2016
Good day all, I do have a B.sc and M.eng both fron Nigeria with good grades.

How will you advise I proceed with my application for schorlarship for my Ph.D in the US.

Many thanks.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by worry359(m): 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2016
Guitarlife:
Good day all, I do have a B.sc and M.eng both fron Nigeria with good grades.
How will you advise I proceed with my application for schorlarship for my Ph.D in the US.
Many thanks.

This is where you must do some work.
Find schools that teach your Ph.D (we don't know what it is.)
Apply for a place and ask about scholarship.

Only the schools can answer you with facts depending on all the circumstances of your case.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
worry359:

This is where you must do some work.
Find schools that teach your Ph.D (we don't know what it is.)
Apply for a place and ask about scholarship.

Only the schools can answer you with facts depending on all the circumstances of your case.
Many thanks bro. I appreciate ur time and effort.

Is there any other thing you'd suggest I needed to know ?

I will work on your suggestions too.

Furthermore do you think its worth giving it a try ?

Do you sincery think there are opportunities if scholarships and would you advise I pursue them with scarce resources ?

Thanks.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by worry359(m): 3:50pm On Apr 06, 2016
Guitarlife:

Many thanks bro. I appreciate ur time and effort.
Is there any other thing you'd suggest I needed to know ?
I will work on your suggestions too.
Furthermore do you think its worth giving it a try ?
Do you sincery think there are opportunities if scholarships and would you advise I pursue them with scarce resources ?
Thanks.

Applying should only cost you some work, then you will know.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by unclev: 12:43pm On Apr 14, 2016
Please can anyone throw some light on immunization? Are immunizations done in the US or they have to be done here in Nigeria before departure
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by esrtoijtg: 1:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
I'll comeback again to these thread. I have found few informative news.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 1:26pm On Apr 14, 2016
unclev:
Please can anyone throw some light on immunization? Are immunizations done in the US or they have to be done here in Nigeria before departure

As a student, you will need medical insurance, do your medical insurance over there in the states and do the necessary immunizations required by your school with your medical insurance.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ewa20buredi100: 9:35am On Apr 19, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Please any graduate from a Nigerian University in the house, share how you gained admission to study a PG program in the states.

Like the class of BSc result (and the chances of someone with 2.2), the processes/stages involved, how you got your present school and how you processed your applications and documents used.

I would really appreciate this information to help map out a PG study.

Thank you.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 19, 2016
How did you guys sort out accommodation before arriving in the US.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by biikeys(m): 1:16am On Apr 20, 2016
Fortissimo:
How did you guys sort out accommodation before arriving in the US.

My advice is always to search for apartments, have a shortlist and get possible move-in dates...get here and stay in a motel or some place else affordable and safe for a few nights, check out those apartments and move in!
Meanwhile, some schools have free temporary accommodation provisions for international students..so you might want to contact your school international office for students organizations that might be into that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by TopeBush(m): 1:44am On Apr 20, 2016
Just the Thread I've been looking for!!!! Hello, See I've been a USA Fanatic since the womb. I can remember buying american movies at a young age just so I can fantasize about America,I Can remember Using my Sec School Atlas to Memorise All American states and their Capitals even the anthem "star spangle banner".I Researched about their past Governments and how they rose to power in WW2 . I know most of the presidents by name and even when they died. I follow US politics than I follow my dreams.My Friends tell me I'm obsessed with USA,yes I am because I'm pretty much convinced its Gods Own Country.
Now I'm above 18.Im presently an Undergraduate at the Obafemi Awolowo University Majoring in Comuter Engr. And I have no Motivation because I'm not Enjoying anything here everything in Nigeria pisses me off. The weather,The School Life,The Government everything. I'm still interested in Travelling,Living and Dying in USA. And my friends over there tell me Student Visa is the way. pls Can guys here enlighten me and broadening my horizon on steps to take to step this my foot in JFK airport?

2 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 4:39am On Apr 20, 2016
biikeys:

My advice is always to search for apartments, have a shortlist and get possible move-in dates...get here and stay in a motel or some place else affordable and safe for a few nights, check out those apartments and move in!
Meanwhile, some schools have free temporary accommodation provisions for international students..so you might want to contact your school international office for students organizations that might be into that.

Thanks a lot, i'll do that. Wanted to sign a lease from here and hope I get matched up with reasonable room mates but that's risky. I'll reach out to some people already in the school / state to see if they can help.

I'll also reach out to the African student association there.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 20, 2016
Someone needs to talk to this young man. 20 years ago I was in your shoe. I was so obsessed by anything British while anything Nigeria were bullshit! I wasn't paying much attention to my studies, by the way, I got my admission when most of my mates were still struggling with WAEC (no NECO then) and JAMB. I can write you a whole episode on how I was pursuing scholarship here and there when my classmates were busy with their studies. The result was that I performed bellow my academic ability (at about average) which landed me an equally average job, while the "not so smart" ones did better and got better jobs. With anything less than 2:1, job prospects are low in Nigeria (indeed for most countries). Changing job was difficult for me as non came, and as for job satisfaction, that was close to zero. I constantly reminded myself that I deserved better. I was still obsessed with the foreign thing that got me into that situation in the first place.
Finally at over 30 years of age, I am studying in a prestigious university in the UK for a Masters, Masters! To me, at this age, that is underachievement. I meet other Nigerians here who are barely 20 who graduated with 1sts with sponsorship from either their employer or government because they did so well in their undergraduate. They also have jobs waiting for them in most cases. End of story.
I will suggest you make the best of the opportunity you have now. Graduate with a 1st and see doors of opportunities in US and anywhere else open for you in the future. You'll thank me later.
TopeBush:
Just the Thread I've been looking for!!!! Hello, See I've been a USA Fanatic since the womb. I can remember buying american movies at a young age just so I can fantasize about America,I Can remember Using my Sec School Atlas to Memorise All American states and their Capitals even the anthem "star spangle banner".I Researched about their past Governments and how they rose to power in WW2 . I know most of the presidents by name and even when they died. I follow US politics than I follow my dreams.My Friends tell me I'm obsessed with USA,yes I am because I'm pretty much convinced its Gods Own Country.
Now I'm above 18.Im presently an Undergraduate at the Obafemi Awolowo University Majoring in Comuter Engr. And I have no Motivation because I'm not Enjoying anything here everything in Nigeria pisses me off. The weather,The School Life,The Government everything. I'm still interested in Travelling,Living and Dying in USA. And my friends over there tell me Student Visa is the way. pls Can guys here enlighten me and broadening my horizon on steps to take to step this my foot in JFK airport?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by TopeBush(m): 10:37am On Apr 20, 2016
naijamark:
Someone needs to talk to this young man. 20 years ago I was in your shoe. I was so obsessed by anything British while anything Nigeria were bullshit! I wasn't paying much attention to my studies, by the way, I got my admission when most of my mates were still struggling with WAEC (no NECO then) and JAMB. I can write you a whole episode on how I was pursuing scholarship here and there when my classmates were busy with their studies. The result was that I performed bellow my academic ability (at about average) which landed me an equally average job, while the "not so smart" ones did better and got better jobs. With anything less than 2:1, job prospects are low in Nigeria (indeed for most countries). Changing job was difficult for me as non came, and as for job satisfaction, that was close to zero. I constantly reminded myself that I deserved better. I was still obsessed with the foreign thing that got me into that situation in the first place.
Finally at over 30 years of age, I am studying in a prestigious university in the UK for a Masters, Masters! To me, at this age, that is underachievement. I meet other Nigerians here who are barely 20 who graduated with 1sts with sponsorship from either their employer or government because they did so well in their undergraduate. They also have jobs waiting for them in most cases. End of story.
I will suggest you make the best of the opportunity you have now. Graduate with a 1st and see doors of opportunities in US and anywhere else open for you in the future. You'll thank me later.
Thanks So Much bro.I noticed I'm not doing well in my academics too,I have to retrace my steps.But what are my chances of exiting this place before I complete my undergraduate studies.I don't mind Restarting Senior High over there.plus I have relatives over there that are comfy to an extent.So what are my chances
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 20, 2016
TopeBush:
Thanks So Much bro.I noticed I'm not doing well in my academics too,I have to retrace my steps.But what are my chances of exiting this place before I complete my undergraduate studies.I don't mind Restarting Senior High over there.plus I have relatives over there that are comfy to an extent.So what are my chances
Talk to Dr. Oluwaranti. Lol
Check this thread:
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by biikeys(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2016
Fortissimo:

Thanks a lot, i'll do that. Wanted to sign a lease from here and hope I get matched up with reasonable room mates but that's risky. I'll reach out to some people already in the school / state to see if they can help.

I'll also reach out to the African student association there.

Yup..very risky. Whichever apartment you decide on, check on rent.com or apartmentguide if they are listed there. If they are, mention that before signing the lease. They'll give you $100 or $200 bonus.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 20, 2016
abbey621:
Seriously Nigerians coming to the U.S to school without extra funds are just putting themselves in a tough predicament. Without a valid S.S.N, this country is rubbish, I'm fortunate cos I came on a green card, even with that it took a long time to get an average job. Who says you can't work and have a high G.P.A, I work and school and My G.P.A is 3.90, it all depends on your level of determination, Nigerians are the smartest people on earth, not always the most intelligent but we do what must be done to survive and excel above the rest, the best advice I can give to someone schooling over here on a student visa is to network as much as possible, be honest, be cheerful and always have an open mind, who knows you might meet a nice chick or guy that falls completely in love with you and GBAM! That's when your luck begins to shine, seriously stay away from crime, be money conscious, don't spend over 50 dollars on food per month, your cell phone bill shouldn't be more than 40 or 50 bucks per month and above all things be known, the more popular you are, the better your chances of survival. Good luck everyone!

Bro, is their GPA system on a scale of 5 or 4?
Wow, am really impressed!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 20, 2016
biikeys:

Yup..very risky. Whichever apartment you decide on, check on rent.com or apartmentguide if they are listed there. If they are, mention that before signing the lease. They'll give you $100 or $200 bonus.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by abbey621(m): 6:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
Ezechinwa:

Bro, is their GPA system on a scale of 5 or 4?
Wow, am really impressed!!!

GPA is on the 4.0 system.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 20, 2016
I don park my bus for here

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by dickoflife(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2016
Holudarey01:
I don park my bus for here
guy I never see assistantship o..
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:47am On Apr 21, 2016
dickoflife:
Bros, don't worry. Everything would cone good
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:50am On Apr 21, 2016
dickoflife:

Can you imagine I used to spell it assistanceship. Till one day I realised my grad coord used a different spelling. Shame catch me.

3 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by dickoflife(m): 4:27am On Apr 21, 2016
Fortissimo:

Can you imagine I used to spell it assistanceship. Till one day I realised my grad coord used a different spelling. Shame catch me.
haha, not to worry a couple of mistakes don't hurt. I hardly make them though because I pride myself in being flawless both in enunciation and diction. Calculations have always been my achilles heel so I focused on languages. I go still learn German last last. My departmental chair sent me a message sef yesterday asking about assistantship, I wonder if he really cares or just dey test me. Will update una on the final destination of our discussion in the course of further discourse.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by streetMic(m): 6:45am On Apr 21, 2016
Aulor:

I'll also like to know how u can manage $40 for 2-4 weeks. I'm in NY for my masters.

NYC for sure should be expensive. Lol I school in Iowa. They farm a lot in Iowa so it's cheaper to live here
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 21, 2016
Fortissimo:

lmaoooo
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 21, 2016
biikeys:

Ok thanks boss.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 21, 2016
streetMic:

NYC for sure should be expensive. Lol I school in Iowa. They farm a lot in Iowa so it's cheaper to live here
Bros are you in IOWA state university ? Pls I need sm help applying too.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by adeyinka09: 11:54pm On Apr 29, 2016
Amefrica:

Hey bro! That estimate is for UnderGrad programmes in my school. I go to University of Prince Edward Island, and it's a very good one. Memorial University of Newfounland and University of Manitoba are very good too.
It's very hard to gain a Masters admission with funding in Canadian schools especially when you didn't graduate with First Class! You never can tell though, you have to go to those schools' websites and send a direct email to the registrars/admission office. They'll provide you with all the necessary info regarding funding and other admission criteria.
Good luck bro!
Good day bro, I need your candid advice on this.
I'm a first class graduate from a federal University in Nigeria but couldn't get a job after a long search. Now I resolved to go abroad for my master program- a work and learn program. so which is better for such idea US or Canada based on factors like scholarship, cost of living etc. These are important factors cos am not financially buoyant in fact if it works, I will av to refund every dime spent on me during the course of the program. More importantly, I don't want 2 start what I can finish. I really need to hear from people like you and other great bosses in the house. Thanks so much
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Denvan: 2:39am On Apr 30, 2016
adeyinka09:

Good day bro, I need your candid advice on this.
I'm a first class graduate from a federal University in Nigeria but couldn't get a job after a long search. Now I resolved to go abroad for my master program- a work and learn program. so which is better for such idea US or Canada based on factors like scholarship, cost of living etc. These are important factors cos am not financially buoyant in fact if it works, I will av to refund every dime spent on me during the course of the program. More importantly, I don't want 2 start what I can finish. I really need to hear from people like you and other great bosses in the house. Thanks so much

Hi, let me salute you first for your academic excellence (First Class). Kudos!!! For me, based on little experience and comments from others, US is the preferred destination. What course are you gunning for?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 30, 2016
Hi guys please can someone confirm that I can send USD / GBP from Nigeria to someone in the US / UK via PayPal without any hassles.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Changing The Date Of Birth On My International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.