Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) (18973 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / NISSIAN INFINTY QX4 IS OVERHEATING PLEASE HELP / My Car Is Overheating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 6:34pm On Feb 05, 2012
Help!!! my car is overheating__

1st its a nissan maxima 2000=

The only thing i have done since i noticed the quick rise in temperature was to flush the radiator.
Now it still heats up but not as fast as before.
If i put on the ac it overheats faster.
With the windows down the temperature meter climbs up and down slowly (Most times steady though closer to the hotter part of the meter).
No leaks, No reduction in volume of coolant, --- can't think of any other useful information i should give.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ask4double(m): 7:49pm On Feb 05, 2012
Do u get to notice water shortage in ur radiator? 2nd how many cell is the car radiator? 3rd is there any sight of mixture of oil and water? Answers to these questions will go along way to solving ur problem.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 05, 2012
Wylout:

Help!!! my car is overheating__

1st its a nissan maxima 2000=

The only thing i have done since i noticed the quick rise in temperature was to flush the radiator.
Now it still heats up but not as fast as before.
If i put on the ac it overheats faster.
With the windows down the temperature meter climbs up and down slowly (Most times steady though closer to the hotter part of the meter).
No leaks, No reduction in volume of coolant, --- can't think of any other useful information i should give.

When you flushed the cooling system, what did you fill it up with? Did you purge it of any possible air locks?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Unikman: 8:44pm On Feb 05, 2012
@ Siena, How do you purge the system of possible ''AIR LOCKS''? Sir, your candid reply, would be highly appreciated; because, I am, experiencing exactly the same problem with my NISSAN QUEST '98 MODEL. They dropped the RADIATOR and RIPPED it open, FLUSHED away every possible DIRTS and COUPLED it together, again. Before I drive a distance of about 3 kilometers, the TEMPERATURE GUAGE, will be OVER-SHOOTING. I am, really, very CONFUSED. cool lipsrsealed cool.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 05, 2012
^^^ Purging the system of air locks is making sure there are no air pockets within the cooling system - engine block, cylinder head/s, heater matrix, radiator and associated pipework.

Some vehicles have bleed screws to help expell air. Air will always rise to the highest point in the cooling circuit. In most cars, this will be the expansion tank. So the engine is left running with the cap off. You will see bubbles, this is air escaping. If there are bleed screws, then these should be left open while running the engine to temperature.

On most vehicles with electric cooling fans, the fan will not operature until the thermostat has opened. Once the fan has operated a few times, the system is likely to be free of air locks.

What did you fill your cooling system with after YOUR flush?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by miccodb(m): 9:24pm On Feb 05, 2012
Nice job sienna. Yea most likely airlocks if n only if the car waas fine before d flush n d only change ws a flush else we culd be treating malaria insteaad of typhoid! grin
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 6:22pm On Feb 06, 2012
Siena:

When you flushed the cooling system, what did you fill it up with? Did you purge it of any possible air locks?

I filled with a 50/50 mix of water and coolant (abro). Possible airlock---yes i did. I parked it on a slope after i left the engine running for about 15mins and after had cooled down, i opened the radiator cap. Hope that was right?
All through today the car temperature was not so high though it was not at its usual low temperature (somewhere in the middle of the gauge) but as soon as i turn on the ac----it starts having a fever.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 6:27pm On Feb 06, 2012
ask4double:

Do u get to notice water shortage in ur radiator? 2nd how many cell is the car radiator? 3rd is there any sight of mixture of oil and water? Answers to these questions will go along way to solving ur problem.

@ Ask4double

I did not see any leaks and there was no mixture of oil and water
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 06, 2012
Wylout:

I filled with a 50/50 mix of water and coolant (abro). Possible airlock---yes i did. I parked it on a slope after i left the engine running for about 15mins and after had cooled down, i opened the radiator cap. Hope that was right?
All through today the car temperature was not so high though it was not at its usual low temperature (somewhere in the middle of the gauge) but as soon as i turn on the ac----it starts having a fever.

Did you have this over heating issue prior to the flush, or after?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 6:35pm On Feb 06, 2012
I had it prior to the flush
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by eddy42k(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
oga if u have done all siena told u and it dosnt work , well i will sugest u check the water pump(MAYBE REPLCACE) cos nissan detest over heating before u know it ur engine mite start smoking weed

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 10:32pm On Feb 06, 2012
eddy42k:

oga if u have done all siena told u and it dosnt work , well i will sugest u check the water pump(MAYBE REPLCACE) cos nissan detest over heating before u know it ur engine mite start smoking weed

True but i think that should be a last resort====don't u think so? sad
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ikeyman00(m): 12:24am On Feb 07, 2012
@@@

maybe u should change the thermostart to another o

i understand it goes with mileage

or is it that the condenser is bad that it doesnt allow proper air circulation??
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by cretin: 5:27am On Feb 07, 2012
the condenser might be the culprit, especially if it has leaked in the past n was patched by blocking some cells, this reduces the cooling area/capacicity of the radiator and thus it will be over heating at will, is ur car fresh toks or naija used?, a thorough inspection of the radiator shud expose this problem
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 9:18am On Feb 07, 2012
ikeyman00:

@@@

maybe u should change the thermostart to another o

i understand it goes with mileage

or is it that the condenser is bad that it doesnt allow proper air circulation??

My mileage is over 120k. Does this mean the thermostat is gone?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 9:21am On Feb 07, 2012
cretin:

the condenser might be the culprit, especially if it has leaked in the past n was patched by blocking some cells, this reduces the cooling area/capacicity of the radiator and thus it will be over heating at will, is ur car fresh toks or naija used?, a thorough inspection of the radiator shud expose this problem

I got it toks==

Radiator inspection --- on the way:

Was tempted to drive the car to work today cos all thru yesterday it did not heat up though the ac was not on
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by miccodb(m): 4:37pm On Feb 07, 2012
Wylout:

I had it prior to the flush
why are we guessing so much here with only little information to work with? you said you had this issue prior to the flush so i belive you have to tell the genesis of this issue as to how the excessive heating started. what changed before vehicle started heating and all so fault can be traced more efficiently.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Debest2: 8:04pm On Feb 07, 2012
@ Siena, Oga I beg, make you nor vex for me. I was, out of town. As per your question, asking me, what I used in filling my RADIATOR, after the FLUSHING; please, be informed that, I actually filled it, with about 75% of WATER. While ABRO COOLANT is about 25%. To tell you the TRUTH, it is causing me a lot of EMBARRASSMENT, as the TEMPERATURE, keep OVER-SHOOTING, as soon as I drive about 3 or 4 kilometres. It's even WORSE, when there is, HOLD-UP. I might just try, to DRAIN off the water from the RADIATOR, then FILL it up, with ONLY RADIATOR COOLANT, and see how it will perform. All-the-same, thank you, for your BEAUTIFUL suggestions and contributions. One love.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by kaystar80(m): 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2012
have the top cylinder gasket replaced, some nissan models from early 2000s with the have this issue from the factory, original oem gasket was too thin and there are service bulletins to this effect
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ambyzown(m): 8:39pm On Feb 07, 2012
I use a nissan maxima 2001 model and this is what you need to do.
Remove your car's thermostat and water control valve ASAP. I had the same problem and had both removed, now, my engine temperature never exceeds 94oC
However, before you do that, confirm that:
1. Your temperature sensor is not playing tricks on you.
2. Your reserve tank is not overflowing (indicating a deteriorated head gasket)
3. Your radiator cap is working properly
For more issues on your maxima, visit my thread at https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-865425.0.html#msg10144622
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 11:16pm On Feb 07, 2012
miccodb:

why are we guessing so much here with only little information to work with? you said you had this issue prior to the flush so i belive you have to tell the genesis of this issue as to how the excessive heating started. what changed before vehicle started heating and all so fault can be traced more efficiently.

@ Micco
I have provided information to the best of my ability. In your own experience will a machine retain its efficiency over time? I use this car everyday and one day i noticed a sudden rise in temperature.
Any ideas now?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 11:20pm On Feb 07, 2012
kaystar80:

have the top cylinder gasket replaced, some nissan models from early 2000s with the have this issue from the factory, original oem gasket was too thin and there are service bulletins to this effect

Is this info for me or for the other guy?

@ Kaystar

Does this apply to all nissan models?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Mykellio: 6:31am On Feb 08, 2012
u guys should pay attention to what @kaystar just mentioned, d top cylinder gasket might need replacement. hard as it is to face, but truth be told. wen u run engine wtout AC, temperature normal, then u put it on & it shoots high is 1 of d symptoms of top cylinder gasket wearing out. after sometime, u ll experience water constantly bubbling out @ high temperature from d radiator bottle. all d oda issues, water pump exhaustion, radiator cap weakness are results of high temperature from worn-out gasket not d cause.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 9:47am On Feb 09, 2012
Updates

The cause of the overheating was the water pump. The fans(or blades of the pump) were broken. It had only one blade left out of about 3. Probably as a result of rust (not sure though). I think this has to do with the coolant used in filling up the radiator.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 5:18pm On Feb 09, 2012
Wylout:

Updates

The cause of the overheating was the water pump. The fans(or blades of the pump) were broken. It had only one blade left out of about 3. Probably as a result of rust (not sure though). I think this has to do with the coolant used in filling up the radiator.

No. It has noting to do with "coolant used in filling the radiator" only,like you said. The rust in the cooling system that affected the water pump shaft and broke the blade was as a result of water you were using. The owner's car manual instruct: USE COOLANT ONLY (instructions in most vehicle owners manual). Coolant is a 50:50 mixture of antifreeze & water. You can only find Coolant in Nigeria, not Antifreeze. So the coolant in Nigerian markets have already been mixed: water & antfreeze. So mixing coolant and water again is a waste of resources. You either use only coolant or you dont. Excess water in the system causes rust in the system & corrodes the engine walls, which would later someday blow up the engine Cylinder head gasket.

I would advice you to stop using the ABRO Coolant. So many fake in the Nigerian markets. TOTAL coolant is good. Thats what i use. It cost N350.00 a litre. Also, mind you, if you do not close the radiator cap well or if the seal on the cap has worn, the system/engine would overheat for various reasons.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 5:24pm On Feb 09, 2012
@ Ikenna
Thank you.

Can i get the total coolant at any total station?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 5:30pm On Feb 09, 2012
Well, here in Abuja, every TOTAL filling station i have ever ask for the coolant would always have it. TOTAL Coolant is green in color, i think. But not red. In fact, either green or blue.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by bong4(m): 6:31pm On Feb 09, 2012
ambyzown:

I use a nissan maxima 2001 model and this is what you need to do.
Remove your car's thermostat and water control valve ASAP. I had the same problem and had both removed, now, my engine temperature never exceeds 94oC
However, before you do that, confirm that:
1. Your temperature sensor is not playing tricks on you.
2. Your reserve tank is not overflowing (indicating a deteriorated head gasket)
3. Your radiator cap is working properly
For more issues on your maxima, visit my thread at https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-865425.0.html#msg10144622

Did you say 94 degress. ahh when my own pass 45 degrees, i am already panicking. please what is the best temperature level for a vehicle, ac or no ac
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 6:42pm On Feb 09, 2012
bong4:

Did you say 94 degress. ahh when my own pass 45 degrees, i am already panicking. please what is the best temperature level for a vehicle, ac or no ac

Bong4, Ambyzown is right. Normal operating or optimal temperature of cars i have come accross so far is between 90 & 95 degree C. Your temperature guage needle in the instrument cluster resting or pointing at middle of the guage or 90 is the normal running temperature of the engine. But the clowns that call themselves mechanics & rewires in Nigeria would shout and tell you that your engine overheats. That would make them remove the thermostat in the cooling system, to prevent the engine temp getting to that point, thereby making the engine to always run cold. Mind you, if your engine always run cold, there would be severe wear and tear in the engine, especially the crankcase. It reduces the lifespan of an engine & also increases the fuel consumption. In fact, you have given your engine a death warrant.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by cinzo: 6:53pm On Feb 09, 2012
This post is gone.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 7:14pm On Feb 09, 2012
Pls, also remember that if you are changing water pump, also change the timing belt, tensioner & idler. The issue the water pump had must have affected the belt. Its a question of time when that would fail too. And trust me! YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR TIMING BELT TO FAIL ON YOU! Ask Siena what would happen if that happens.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 9:42pm On Feb 09, 2012
@ Ikenna the cylinder would go?

Mine was replace today and from the auto mechanics workshop to my house with ac turned on its still at the lower half of the temp. gauge--

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Tips For Driving Inside The Rain / How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos / Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.