Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,750 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (808914 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 10:29pm On Oct 22, 2014
justwise:

There are plenty of them in bury park and inside Luton Shopping Mall. There are plenty Shops that sales African food ingredients in Market inside shopping Mall as well.

Another place to buy 100% Nigerian food ingredients is in high town road. There is a Nigerian shop called Abam foods. LU2 0DD, number 63.
High town road is at the back of train station. Walk through the train station-out to high town road.

If you want to eat Nigerian food then head to Victorian kitchen not far from Abam as well.

Pls when you go to Abam, be ready for their terrible customer service.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:41pm On Oct 22, 2014
LabourParty:

Pls when you go to Abam, be ready for their terrible customer service.

Oh really? Been there couple of times with my mate with no particular issue apart from waiting a bit too long for payment.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 10:51pm On Oct 22, 2014
Yes, the waiting is ridiculous. They spend too much time talking to customers after serving them.

It's just crazy.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:03pm On Oct 22, 2014
LabourParty:
Yes, the waiting is ridiculous. They spend too much time talking to customers after serving them.

It's just crazy.

That is true, so true.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 6:40pm On Oct 23, 2014
I got an offer for an unpaid internship in a museum as a business performance analyst, is it worth it considering my interest are in investment and banking together with few years banking experience in nigeria and am almost done with my pogram presently considering moving back in 2 weeks to start job hunting. Your feedback would highly be appreciated
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olisedinma: 10:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
Hello all,

Any NL schooling at Salford university, manchester that requires accommodation, as I have a single room to let out in my flat. Let me know. Cheers!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 12:24am On Oct 24, 2014
mayo47:
I got an offer for an unpaid internship in a museum as a business performance analyst, is it worth it considering my interest are in investment and banking together with few years banking experience in nigeria and am almost done with my pogram presently considering moving back in 2 weeks to start job hunting. Your feedback would highly be appreciated

Give them the middle finger bro...
1.) It's unrelated to your field of specialization...
2.) It's unpaid!!!

You bring thousands of pounds into their economy and a year after....they still want you to do unpaid work? angry
Are you a philanthropist? Or you run a charity?
How will you survive here with unpaid work? Even those in paid employment scratch....so how will you do it?
I'm only here until I write the CFA exams in December.... I will definitely leave 2 days afterwards!!
angry cold people, cold country angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 3:18am On Oct 24, 2014
mayo47:

Posh job title - No wage attachment !!! It might have been a good preposition if a wage was attached.
Something to add to your cv for future interest.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 4:54am On Oct 24, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Posh job title - No wage attachment !!! It might have been a good preposition if a wage was attached.
Something to add to your cv for future interest.

Financial Analyst
Unpaid (no wage)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:26am On Oct 24, 2014
mayo47:

Go for it if you can since its business related. The experience and reference are priceless.

It's an added advantage on your CV.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:09pm On Oct 24, 2014
mayo47:

Valuable work experience IMO (if you can afford it) something for your CV and networking- fancy title too
Ask for travel/lunch expenses if you can

735i:

Give them the middle finger bro...
1.) It's unrelated to your field of specialization...
2.) It's unpaid!!!
You bring thousands of pounds into their economy and a year after....they still want you to do unpaid work? angry
Are you a philanthropist? Or you run a charity?
How will you survive here with unpaid work? Even those in paid employment scratch....so how will you do it?
I'm only here until I write the CFA exams in December.... I will definitely leave 2 days afterwards!!
angry cold people, cold country angry

it's not compulsory, He applied for it
many students applying for studies in the UK especially after the cancellation of the PWS visa ARE (should be) aware of working limitations in the UK/EU

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 12:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
DisGuy:

Valuable work experience IMO (if you can afford it) something for your CV and networking- fancy title too
Ask for travel/lunch expenses if you can

it's not compulsory, He applied for it
many students applying for studies in the UK especially after the cancellation of the PWS visa ARE (should be) aware of working limitations in the UK/EU

He sought opinion… I gave him mine….
He already has cognate work experience from Nigeria… and its safe to assume he wants to return to Nigeria to work.
If you're suggesting he stays back in the UK to do "charity" work; … Factor in the cost of living and the fact that he could actually land a paid job in Nigeria when he gets back…..
well… what can i say…it's his decision to make...
Was he aware it was unpaid work before he applied? If the answer to this question is yes; then id say he's made his decision already…

What i'm saying in essence is; there are other factors to consider before he takes an informed decision; not just the fancy job title...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
735i:

He already has cognate work experience from Nigeria… and its safe to assume he wants to return to Nigeria to work.
If you're suggesting he stays back in the UK to do "charity" work; … Factor in the cost of living and the fact that he could actually land a paid job in Nigeria when he gets back..
Was he aware it was unpaid work before he applied? If the answer to this question is yes; then id say he's made his decision already…

What i'm saying in essence is; there are other factors to consider before he takes an informed decision; not just the fancy job title...

Bro you are massively underestimating the value of work experience especially when you have it on your CV from both side of Atlantic.

It's not always about money

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
735i:

If you're suggesting he stays back in the UK to do "charity" work; … Factor in the cost of living and the fact that he could actually land a paid job in Nigeria when he gets back…..

The way i read his post, he's finished with his programme, probably has some few months left on his visa...so not necessarily staying back..just filling in with some real work experience...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 1:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
justwise:

Bro you are massively underestimating the value of work experience especially when you have it on your CV from both side of Atlantic.

It's not always about money
Well....you may be correct.... Perhaps I do underestimate it....

DisGuy:

The way i read his post, he's finished with his programme, probably has some few months left on his visa...so not necessarily staying back..just filling in with some real work experience...

Fair enough....

Well...Mayo47.... Here you have it.... Arguments from both sides of the equation.... smiley
Wish you luck as you decide smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
What would you do with 1 more hour cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 10:31pm On Oct 24, 2014
sleep some more!! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:01pm On Oct 24, 2014
DisGuy:
sleep some more!! cheesy

Exactly grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 25, 2014
Loving uni so far, but I'm not too keen on my flatmates though. undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:05am On Oct 25, 2014
adaobi123:
Loving uni so far, but I'm not too keen on my flatmates though. undecided

grin where are they from?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 25, 2014
justwise:
[/b]

grin where are they from?

All from England. Thats not really the problem tbh, its what they do. Very dirty human beings. undecided

Plus they drink way to much too. angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:24am On Oct 25, 2014
adaobi123:
grin

All from England. Thats not really the problem tbh, its what they do. Very dirty human beings. undecided

Plus they drink way to much too. angry

That sound normal to me.. grin..what do you think British are known for?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 25, 2014
justwise:
[/b]

That sound normal to me.. grin..what do you think British are known for?

Drinking of course. So annoying undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:04pm On Oct 25, 2014
adaobi123:

Drinking of course. So annoying undecided

grin grin it's crime not to get hammered as its part of the experience
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by alizenbohr: 3:45pm On Oct 25, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

This post is dedicated to you and alizenbohr. You guys are wonderful. Thank you nairaland, I met real friends from here. Funny enough, I and alizenbohr attended the same uni in Naija

SpikesC wad up hommie?

Yes o!
This world is really a small place.
Thanks for helping me find my feet here. Your orientation really prepared me so I wasn't totally overwhelmed in the first week.

Big Thanks to Justwise, SpikeC et al, for the incredible work of moderating this thread and providing answers to all my questions. You guys have been most helpful.

@ GeneralShepherd, one of these weekends, I dey come chop jollof rice for your place. But I go give you 1 week notice sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 25, 2014
justwise:

grin grin it's crime not to get hammered as its part of the experience

Lool. So you got hammered in your uni days ? grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sunvick(m): 7:02pm On Oct 25, 2014
Please,
Does anybody Know where one can write IT certification in Chester or Warrington??
Thanks people.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:39pm On Oct 25, 2014
adaobi123:

Lool. So you got hammered in your uni days ? grin

I'm afraid i did grin grin, my course mates then are two Zambian ladies who drink far more than i can....hard to avoid when you live close to town centre and share a flat with club animals grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:48am On Oct 26, 2014
spikesC:
What would you do with 1 more hour cool

I see what you're doing Bro.

£10,000 is a lot of money... If you know what I mean.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sunvick(m): 10:00am On Oct 26, 2014
justwise:

I'm afraid i did grin grin, my course mates then are two Zambian ladies who drink far more than i can....hard to avoid when you live close to town centre and share a flat with club animals grin grin

Please oga's in the house assist a brother......
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:02am On Oct 26, 2014
sunvick:

Please oga's in the house assist a brother......

What IT certificate is that?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:38am On Oct 26, 2014
dolapobello1:

I see what you're doing Bro.

£10,000 is a lot of money... If you know what I mean.

I don't get you. What are you talking about?

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (213) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.