Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (114) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809431 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 8:14am On Apr 09, 2015
I disagree. An internship is a means for securing graduate employment. I interned in a bank and the aim was to perform and secure employment upon graduation and as an international student to be sponsored.

Also read his post, he mentioned that the internship may lead to employment which means he is doing the inter ship for the opportunity to be able to work with them after.

As I said if he only wants experience fine, if he is going to Sunderland for the hope the internships offered will lead to work permit sponsorship it is very unlikely due to the nature of companies you get access to.

justwise:

Internships are always for work experiences, as a foreign student you don't expect to be sponsored for visa through internship or get paid anything meaningful or anything at all.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:27am On Apr 09, 2015
ttmacoy:
I disagree. An internship is a means for securing graduate employment. I interned in a bank and the aim was to perform and secure employment upon graduation.

Also read his post, he mentioned that the internship may lead to employment which means he is doing the inter ship for the opportunity to be able to work with them after.

As I said if he only wants experience fine, if he is going to Sunderland for the hope the internships offered will lead to work permit sponsorship it is very unlikely due to the nature of companies you get access to.

You are mixing up internship as a foreign student and internship as a home student. As a foreign student..internship is purely for experience and reference, retaining you at the end is almost impossible because it does not meet the requirement for graduate job and there is no salary attached. Home students can be retained or given employment for future opportunity because they don't need to meet any visa requirement.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 8:33am On Apr 09, 2015
I get what he are trying to say and that why I said in my post that if his aim going to Sunderland for the internship is for experience and he goes back to Nigeria fine. If the aim is to work in the UK, no.

Besides saying internships are not for international students is wrong. There aren't internships for home students and separate internships for international students. I went through an intership as an international student and got sponsored as did many others.
The problem now is with PSW gone, it is harder and you need to be applying to companies with the ability to sponsor, but getting into such companies is very hard due to high entry requirements and competitions.

All I am saying is he should not be fooled by Sunderland saying hey come we will get you an internship which may lead to future employment. It's a marketing gimmick and I know Nigerians who have fallen for it and after the program can't get a job. It's all about managing expectations.

Besides international students make up a high proportion of students at Sunderland so they are obviously being v targeted by that.

justwise:

You are mixing up internship as a foreign student and internship as a home student. As a foreign student..internship is purely for experience and reference, retaining you at the end is almost impossible because it does not meet the requirement for graduate job and there is no salary attached. Home students can be retained or given employment for future opportunity because they don't need to meet any visa requirement.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:38am On Apr 09, 2015
ttmacoy:
I get what he are trying to say and that why I said in my post that if his aim going to Sunderland for the internship is for experience and he goes back to Nigeria fine. If the aim is to work in the UK, no.

Besides saying internships are not for international students is wrong. There aren't internships for home students and separate internships for international students. I went through an intership as an international student and got sponsored as did many others.
The problem now is with PSW gone, it is harder and you need to be applying to companies with the ability to sponsor, but getting into such companies is very hard due to high entry requirements and competitions.

All I am saying is he should not be fooled by Sunderland saying hey come we will get you an internship which may lead to future employment. It's a marketing gimmick and I know Nigerians who have fallen for it and after the program can't get a job. It's all about managing expectations.

Besides international students make up a high proportion of students at Sunderland so they are obviously being v targeted by that.

I did not say that, you made that up.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 8:52am On Apr 09, 2015
Sorry what I meant to say was there is nothing like an internship for a home student and another for an international.

You are right about the pay issue being a barrier to sponsorship hence my point that the companies you will get access to at Sunderland will not be able to sponsor you so do not go there with the hope you will secure an internship with a company who will sponsor you.

If your aim is to work in the UK post program, an internship is key and this means through a better ranked program which gives you access to the types of companies with the means of sponsoring you.

In summary if his aim of choosing Sunderland for the internship is to get the experience and return to Nigeria then that's fine. If his expectation ( and I have seen people with such even with Sunderland) is to get an internship with a company who will retain and sponsor then no. Sunderland will not have access to such companies. That's I am saying.

justwise:

I did not say that, you made that up.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:06am On Apr 09, 2015
ttmacoy:
Sorry what I meant to say was there is nothing like an internship for a home student and another for an international.

You are right about the pay issue being a barrier to sponsorship hence my point that the companies you will get access to at Sunderland will not be able to sponsor you so do not go there with the hope you will secure an internship with a company who will sponsor you.

If your aim is to work in the UK post program, an internship is key and this means through a better ranked program which gives you access to the types of companies with the means of sponsoring you.

In summary if his aim of choosing Sunderland for the internship is to get the experience and return to Nigeria then that's fine. If his expectation ( and I have seen people with such even with Sunderland) is to get an internship with a company who will retain and sponsor then no. Sunderland will not have access to such companies. That's I am saying.

Not really, Sunderland do have access to such companies but they are unlikely to take foreign students because of visa issues, rather they will take home students who will walk into the position without passing market test. They have equally home students with the same qualifications but without visa issues, so investing/ training them ideally will be better than investing on or training a foreign student and at the end visa issues becomes a barrier.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 9:17am On Apr 09, 2015
While I disagree with you as I looked at their mba program and the companies they have on their list are not impressive, for the case of the poster we can agree that Sunderland will not get him access to the companies who can sponsor him for a work permit.

If he wants the internship just for experience fine. If he plans to stay and work. No

justwise:

Not really, Sunderland do have access to such companies but they are unlikely to take foreign students because of visa issues, rather they will take home students who will walk into the position without passing market test. They have equally home students with the same qualifications but without visa issues, so investing/ training them ideally will be better than investing on or training a foreign student and at the end visa issues becomes a barrier.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 12:36pm On Apr 10, 2015
Okay Thats an eye opener. Thanks sir/ma. I didnt get good courses in Canada. I got PGD admission which will run for 2years and my Parents who are paying for my fees kicked against it. I finally decided on Sunderland. I just go there, try and achieve a great result and leave the rest to God. yes in reality, things look really tough for international students to work after masters but nothing is impossible. If there are people (including you) that could work there after school, then its not impossible. I missed out on USA because I couldnt prepare for GRE cuz i just finished my NYSC last year.
ttmacoy:
Please don't be fooled by the internship. It will most likely be unpaid or low pay with employers who are unable to sponsor you for work permit at the end of the day.

If the internship is just for experience fine, if for you to work in the UK after your courses thumb twice.

I studied in the UK and work here and will tell you things are really different and difficult now for international students due to the anti immigration laws and sentiments. Too many Europeans from both rich and poor countries available so no incentive to sponsor a Nigerian.

US and Canada makes more sense now.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 1:14pm On Apr 10, 2015
Hey I understand your situation and if that is the best option then that's what you have.

What I will say is immediately you arrive start applying for graduate roles as in the UK recruitment starts about September for the next year's entry. This is something many international students including Nigerians miss especially when you only have a 1 year course and they are still settling down in a new environment.

Target companies that sponsor work permits. I will not tell you it is easy because it isn't but don't our best and have a plan B for Nigeria in case.

In my case this was a few years ago before the recent anti immigration drive and just before the crisis, and also I came for undergrad so was able to do internships after second and final year which helped secure a grad role before I graduated. With a 1 year program it's a lot more difficult but all you can do is try.

Btw what courses are you going for?

Mekurexx:
Okay Thats an eye opener. Thanks sir/ma. I didnt get good courses in Canada. I got PGD admission which will run for 2years and my Parents who are paying for my fees kicked against it. I finally decided on Sunderland. I just go there, try and achieve a great result and leave the rest to God. yes in reality, things look really tough for international students to work after masters but nothing is impossible. If there are people (including you) that could work there after school, then its not impossible. I missed out on USA because I couldnt prepare for GRE cuz i just finished my NYSC last year.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 4:17pm On Apr 10, 2015
Alright sir. The course is Environmental Health & Safety. Its quite appealing too in Nigeria as oil companies need Health & safety managers and other environmental agencies. I'm optimistic really. Whether or not one secures a job after masters is secondary. The main thing is to have a good result and be competitive. I would have waited till next year but my folks insist I have to go this year. And then the course I got in Canada (Undergrad PGD for 2years with tuition of 2.5m per year, didnt make so much sense too me). I will just workhard and have faith in God to lead me and tap into opportunities available. Basically it cant just be class class class, and im not really the party type so I guess I will concentrate on the apps as well as settling down
ttmacoy:
Hey I understand your situation and if that is the best option then that's what you have.

What I will say is immediately you arrive start applying for graduate roles as in the UK recruitment starts about September for the next year's entry. This is something many international students including Nigerians miss especially when you only have a 1 year course and they are still settling down in a new environment.

Target companies that sponsor work permits. I will not tell you it is easy because it isn't but don't our best and have a plan B for Nigeria in case.

In my case this was a few years ago before the recent anti immigration drive and just before the crisis, and also I came for undergrad so was able to do internships after second and final year which helped secure a grad role before I graduated. With a 1 year program it's a lot more difficult but all you can do is try.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 4:27pm On Apr 10, 2015
Sounds good. I don't know what the reputation of Sunderland is like but guess its would help.

All I wanted to do was manage your expectations re the internship offered by Sunderland. As you are happy to return to Nigeria after then it's fine.

I admire your optimism and it is always best to try, but do not underestimate how difficult it can be for you to be applying for these jobs whole also trying to settle and integrate. It's is a significant effort so as I said just to manage your expectations, do your best and give your all.

Good luck smiley

Mekurexx:
Alright sir. The course is Environmental Health & Safety. Its quite appealing too in Nigeria as oil companies need Health & safety managers and other environmental agencies. I'm optimistic really. Whether or not one secures a job after masters is secondary. The main thing is to have a good result and be competitive. I would have waited till next year but my folks insist I have to go this year. And then the course I got in Canada (Undergrad PGD for 2years with tuition of 2.5m per year, didnt make so much sense too me). I will just workhard and have faith in God to lead me and tap into opportunities available. Basically it cant just be class class class, and im not really the party type so I guess I will concentrate on the apps as well as settling down
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 4:28pm On Apr 10, 2015
Mekurexx:
I thought PGD in canada was 8months?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 4:59pm On Apr 10, 2015
There is diploma for 1 year (8 months) and 2 years. I got admission for 2 years and then a course for 1 year. But it wasnt what I wanted.
scoobs:
I thought PGD in canada was 8months?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 5:25pm On Apr 10, 2015
Mekurexx:
There is diploma for 1 year (8 months) and 2 years. I got admission for 2 years and then a course for 1 year. But it wasnt what I wanted.
yh it would have felt like bsc all over again.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2015
Okay I went through the comments you exchanged with the other member. You made mention about Sunderland not being able to attract companies willing to sponsor international students. Are you talking based on the quality of the University or the City itself. I know Sunderland is small compared to a bigger city like its neighbour, Newcastle, but then, you sounded like it was all but impossible to get a company in Sunderland willing to sponsor an international student. The Internship is not restricted to just the North-East, its anywhere in the UK(based on the Coo-ordinator's email to me), so that also doesn't guarantee anything?
ttmacoy:

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 5:54pm On Apr 10, 2015
Yeah and im not the school school person that would want to spend another 2 years doing pgd courses embarassed
scoobs:
yh it would have felt like bsc all over again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 5:57pm On Apr 10, 2015
Yeah managed expectations...I wasnt going there like ''Osuofia in London'' cheesy but then I really appreciate. From my conversations and research, I think Most Nigerian students miss it when they go abroad to study, im not in a position to judge but not high numbers of Nigerians who go abroad do exceedingly well. I hope I'm wrong tho
ttmacoy:
Sounds good. I don't know what the reputation of Sunderland is like but guess its would help.

All I wanted to do was manage your expectations re the internship offered by Sunderland. As you are happy to return to Nigeria after then it's fine.

I admire your optimism and it is always best to try, but do not underestimate how difficult it can be for you to be applying for these jobs whole also trying to settle and integrate. It's is a significant effort so as I said just to manage your expectations, do your best and give your all.

Good luck smiley

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 6:58pm On Apr 10, 2015
The situation in the UK is the Conservative government is trying to reduce immigration, and given they pretty much cannot do anything about EU workers coming into the country, they have focused on non EU immigrants a big chunk of whom are international students. They have made the requirements for getting a work permit after your studies difficult and removed the post study worker which many international students used to work for up to 2 years after studies. As a result, companies who would sponsor for work permit tend to be those who are bigger companies who recruit a sizeable number of graduates every year and pay higher salaries.

e.g. for a company who e.g. employs 3-10 grads every year, there is little to no justification to sponsor an international student when they can get UK students and also EU students compared to say PwC who employs up to 1000 graduates a year.

My point is whilst Sunderland is an ok university, it is not that highly ranked and just does not attract these bigger employers. It is not impossible to get some of these jobs, it just means you need to be more proactive and pursue it actively to have a chance compared to some other higher ranked schools where these companies actually come to campus to recruit.

This is why I said if you know you would be happy returning to Nigeria if you don't get a role in the UK then fine, if you are dead set on working in the UK after then you need to consider carefully and if Sunderland is your only option all you can do is be proactive, apply as early as you can and pray.

Mekurexx:
Okay I went through the comments you exchanged with the other member. You made mention about Sunderland not being able to attract companies willing to sponsor international students. Are you talking based on the quality of the University or the City itself. I know Sunderland is small compared to a bigger city like its neighbour, Newcastle, but then, you sounded like it was all but impossible to get a company in Sunderland willing to sponsor an international student. The Internship is not restricted to just the North-East, its anywhere in the UK(based on the Coo-ordinator's email to me), so that also doesn't guarantee anything?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:30am On Apr 14, 2015
To whom it may concern, i just go this in my email.
More money for the queen wink

Please be aware of the following extremely important information which will affect your upcoming visa application.

From the 6th April UKVI have introduce a ‘health surcharge’ applicable to all points based system visa applications – including Tier 4. This means that there is an extra charge to pay as part of your visa application. This charge applies to people applying inside the UK and outside the UK for new visas. This is very important to be aware of because, if you do not pay the fee before you make your visa application, your visa application is at high risk of being refused.

If you are planning to visit one of our team for a visa application check, we will help you with this and explain how to pay the charge when you come for your visa application check. If you are planning to submit the visa application without having it checked by the team, we strongly recommend that you understand how to pay the charge before you apply for the visa and contact us for advice.

If you are outside of the UK, see the link at the bottom of the email with our contact details. We recommend you contact us for advice.

Information about the charge:

· The health surcharge is a separate additional fee to the visa application fee

· The charge is £150 per year of Tier 4 visa length to be granted (if you are requesting 6 further months of Tier 4 visa you will be charged at approximately £75 and if you are requesting more than 6 months of extra Tier 4 visa, you will be charged £150, etc)

· If you have dependants, there is a separate health surcharge for each dependant to be paid also

The link to pay the surcharge is here: https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application
When the surcharge has been paid, you are given an ‘Immigration Health Surcharge’ (HIS) reference number, which you need to write on your visa application cover sheet.

Remember: If you do not pay the health surcharge before making your visa application, it is at high risk of refusal.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 12:41pm On Apr 14, 2015
spikesC:
To whom it may concern, i just go this in my email.
More money for the queen wink

There is God o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:51pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hello guys, please I lost my gtb atm card yesterday.

Is there a way of requesting a new one from UK? This is the only way I recieve money from Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 5:57pm On Apr 17, 2015
GeneralShepherd:
Hello guys, please I lost my gtb atm card yesterday.

Is there a way of requesting a new one from UK? This is the only way I recieve money from Nigeria.
You might have to call GTBank's customer care for that. A friend lost his some months ago they(GTBank) offered to send it to him at a cost of N7,800 or so and he was to sign some documents absolving the bank of any loss suffered by the customer via the said atm card if it gets lost in transit and someone has access to it . Just speak with a customer care agent you will be informed about what you need to do. Pele.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 5:45pm On Apr 20, 2015
Okay Guys, Good Evening.... Hope y'all had an amazing weekend? I'm trying to get off-campus accomodation in Sunderland. I have been quite unlucky because I havent gotten anything on the internet. And checking up the Nigerian Student Society in Uni of Sunderland on Facebook, they haven posted anything there since 2012 & 2014 embarassed embarassed Please who knows the North-East well and can help?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 1:21pm On Apr 21, 2015
Mekurexx:
Okay Guys, Good Evening.... Hope y'all had an amazing weekend? I'm trying to get off-campus accomodation in Sunderland. I have been quite unlucky because I havent gotten anything on the internet. And checking up the Nigerian Student Society in Uni of Sunderland on Facebook, they haven posted anything there since 2012 & 2014 embarassed embarassed Please who knows the North-East well and can help?
its best you see whatever you want to rent yourself you could book an hotel room for a day near d campus and den do a flat hunt.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 2:25am On Apr 22, 2015
Mekurexx:

It is best to book and stay in an hotel for the first week of your arrival. This will enable you to be on ground to look for accommodation around your locality and even speak to your Uni hostel services if you wish, and see for yourself first hand if you like the place and the proximity to your school.

I will much encourage you to stay on campus if you have the choice because it could be lonely out there, but you will be more be close to people when you re on campus and close to information and campus resources (library, health care, IT support etc)

That was what i did when i resumed last Sept. But in that case, you have to resume before the start of your program to give you time to sort this out.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:24am On Apr 22, 2015
Mekurexx:

My advice?Unless you are on scholarship, it is never too late to cancel coming to the UK. Cancel your admission apply to Canada, USA, New Zealand or Australia. You will thank me later for this advice.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 11:45am On Apr 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

My advice?Unless you are on scholarship, it is never too late to cancel coming to the UK. Cancel your admission apply to Canada, USA, New Zealand or Australia. You will thank me later for this advice.
Is the UK that bad?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:54am On Apr 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

grin grin grin I can't laugh

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2015
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed Loool Okay its not late but then.... cry
GeneralShepherd:

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by esere826: 2:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

Mekurexx:
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed Loool Okay its not late but then.... cry

I agree with the guy ooo

One or two persons I have advised against the UK move are in Canada right now and are not moaning
But in UK, I see folks weeping and gnashing their teeth.

If you do have enough cash sha, u can finish from here and try for a phd or something like that in Canada

BW in any choice you make sha
afterall Joseph became a prince from prison and so did Obj

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cao(f): 2:56pm On Apr 22, 2015
scoobs:
Is the UK that bad?
The changes which the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition made affected a lot of students - both legal & illegal. In their attempts to cover the student to citizen loophole, they've now made it a maximum of 5 years to stay in the UK as an international student, unlike all the previous international student laws, they made this one count retroactively, meaning all your previous years now count, regardless of whether or not you completed your degree.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogompaul(m): 7:36am On Apr 23, 2015
I'm a proud nd active member of ds forum, I have gotten quite a number of infos buh I'm still in dilemma of my chances of completing my fees myself. I got admission in Sheffield hallam university nd I have paid 1500 pound. my question is what my chances of survival nd completing d fees if I manage to secure Visa?

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.