Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,090 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (145) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (808825 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apexmall(m): 2:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
AdaLuen:
Hello!
Thank you for reaching. Can I get an email address or something to reach you on? I expect to be in by mid-January. I'm currently waiting for a decision to be made on my visa application.

@ Melaninkween
Please I have been searching for someone like you who could help me with cheap accommodation in Coventry and pick up from Airport and I will be coming down to U.k on 16th of January.

Please kindly help.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apexmall(m): 2:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 3:27pm On Jan 07, 2016
apexmall:

Please what about company's that need tier 4 students.

No list for that. Any company hiring Tier 4 (student visa) people is doing so for internships or temporary positions. These are the normal 'student' jobs, and can be done by almost any company as long as the student has a National Insurance Number, and doesn't work exceed a certain number of workhours per week.

And I think there's talk of new student visas no longer permitting students to work. I might be wrong, though.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 4:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Kriptic:

Forget o. I left in Naija and came into Aberdeen with indomie, garri, egusi, ogbono, knorr cubes, suya pepper, crayfish, bitterleaf, groundnut, iru and even native ogiri sef. I just couldn't be stopped mehn. I just gave the customs folks at naija the sweetest smile and told them I'm a student and the woman let me go like that (still can't believe my luck). Then my bags were not even checked in Aberdeen. I just picked up my bags from the baggage claim and left the airport like that. grin

So, if you can carry them (except for the palm oil, that might be pushing your luck too far), by all means go ahead.

Hello bro, please i am coming to aberdeen from Cranfield to do a training at TWI, looking for someone to hook up with. Can you help, please?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 4:38pm On Jan 07, 2016
Aberdeen guys please help.

I am coming to aberdeen from Cranfield to do a training at TWI, looking for someone to hook up with. Can you help, please?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Melaninkween(f): 8:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
apexmall:

@ Melaninkween
Please I have been searching for someone like you who could help me with cheap accommodation in Coventry and pick up from Airport and I will be coming down to U.k on 16th of January.

Please kindly help.

Thanks

Hi apexmall,
I would have been really glad to assist you unfortunately I am over four hours away from Conventry,Bangor precisely which is no where close.
Hope you get someone to help,do have a safe trip!

The very best.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 09, 2016
Justwise thanks for this creative trend,its been of great help to participants and onlookers,all I commend all who has ever taken out time to comment here,your comments has helped a lot of people direction wise. Please I need sincere suggestions between these two Uni's University of Dundee and University of Surrey, and the generally living conditions of Nigerians in scotland.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 4:57pm On Jan 09, 2016
Dfavouredone:
Aberdeen guys please help.

I am coming to aberdeen from Cranfield to do a training at TWI, looking for someone to hook up with. Can you help, please?

"hook up with" in this context means?

Someone to roll with/show you the sights and sound of Aberdeen?

Someone to lodge with?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 5:09pm On Jan 09, 2016
agalamanyi:
Justwise thanks for this creative trend,its been of great help to participants and onlookers,all I commend all who has ever taken out time to comment here,your comments has helped a lot of people direction wise. Please I need sincere suggestions between these two Uni's University of Dundee and University of Surrey, and the generally living conditions of Nigerians in scotland.thanks

What course are you interested in- Surrey is a very good university but then again some unis have their strong point in terms of subjects, plus their locality in terms of industry affiliations might be advantageous for career prospect

living condition is subjective- cost of living in scotland is generally low compared to London and the south east- though some cities are now as expensive due to the influx of foreign students (not just nigerians) and oil workers

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2016
The oil industry is weak at the moment so accommodation might be cheaper up North.
But Nigerian food entertainment etc is much less.
Surrey could be more expensive but is close to London.

Check the department that you are interested in and ask them about their success rate in job placement for graduates. Any good department will be happy to give you this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 09, 2016
Thanks a lot for the reply,Energy Economics in both schools
DisGuy:

What course are you interested in- Surrey is a very good university but then again some unis have their strong point in terms of subjects, plus their locality in terms of industry affiliations might be advantageous for career prospect

living condition is subjective- cost of living in generally low compared to London and the south east- though some cities are now as expensive due to the influx of foreign students (not just nigerians) and oil workers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:48pm On Jan 09, 2016
agalamanyi:

If money is not an issue for you then Surrey is the university for you, it's relatively more expensive then Dundee but with good reputation. If you are on budget then consider Dundee

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2016
DisGuy:

"hook up with" in this context means?

Someone to roll with/show you the sights and sound of Aberdeen?

Someone to lodge with?

Lol. It means someone to lodge with.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 6:36pm On Jan 09, 2016
Dfavouredone:

Lol. It means someone to lodge with.

grin Also keep you warm in bed and cook your food! shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 09, 2016
If you need information or you are considering University of Wolverhampton, do not hesitate to let me know as regards any question you might have
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 09, 2016
Thanks for the reply,greatly appreciated my fees in the desired course in both schools is just 800 pounds difference,so am trying to use other meduim to evaluate them
justwise:

If money is not an issue for you then Surrey is the university for you, it's relatively more expensive then Dundee but with good reputation. If you are on budget then consider Dundee
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 1:56pm On Jan 10, 2016
worry359:

grin Also keep you warm in bed and cook your food! shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed That's absolutely not needed. I will eat out and sleep alone (maybe on the sofa even).
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 2:03pm On Jan 10, 2016
Dfavouredone:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed That's absolutely not needed. I will eat out and sleep alone (maybe on the sofa even).

Your loss. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 5:26pm On Jan 10, 2016
worry359:

Your loss. grin grin grin

My safety. wink wink

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Demolavoices(m): 5:29pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hi all,

Pls I need ur advice ASAP. I want to know d kind of a short course
a Bsc holder can take dat could increase d rate of securing a job over there. I think d pple dat have being staying there for long will have an idea.

Or if u don't hav an idea too, do u knw anyone dat can hav an answer to my question(maybe a Nairalander) dat u can
direct me to?

Thanks in advance

@ DisGuy, mrcheeky, odeexpress, queensmith, mimi234 &others
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:27pm On Jan 12, 2016
Demolavoices:
Hi all,

Pls I need ur advice ASAP. I want to know d kind of a short course
a Bsc holder can take dat could increase d rate of securing a job over there. I think d pple dat have being staying there for long will have an idea.

Or if u don't hav an idea too, do u knw anyone dat can hav an answer to my question(maybe a Nairalander) dat u can
direct me to?

Thanks in advance

@ DisGuy, mrcheeky, odeexpress, queensmith, mimi234 &others

Your chances of getting a job in the UK isnt not solely based on the course-
you also need significant work experience and industrial knowledge
I doubt short courses qualify for student visas though

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by adesbaba: 3:16am On Jan 13, 2016
m 2016 batch a corper and wanna have my masters in jan entry 2017 ..pls wen shud i begin my processin...i dnt even av passport yet....thanks all.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ufeedoh: 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2016
Please is there someone here schooling at BPP University (Holborn)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by r231(m): 1:34pm On Jan 18, 2016
I have a part-time job going on if any of you guys around Southeast London interested please pm me.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Garetti(m): 5:50pm On Jan 18, 2016
Hey Everyone.
Really Glad to have found this thread.

I finished my youth service in February 2014,and since then it's been Job Ultimate Search..
In between the job search I've always wanted to go over to the UK and get a masters degree, but I've continously pushed this aside with the excuse that Job experience trumps a Masters degree.

But the truth remains that by February this year I'd have wasted 2 years.. And I'm seriously beginning to give the masters degree issue a fresh thought.

My dilemma now is that most schools I was previously interested in have just January and September intakes, and January is already too late.
A friend of mine suggested I try the University of Salford,but honestly I've never really heard about the school.

I now stand in between the bridge of applying to Salford and beginning the masters by April or waiting till September (which amounts to wasting 8 further months)

So please any genuine advice would be appreciated, especially from those already in the UK who might know a thing or two about the University of Salford.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 6:38pm On Jan 18, 2016
Hi garetti.

If you want a quality masters degree, please don't go to Uni of Salford.
If you want a quick masters, you can go there.

I've been to that school several times, and my impression is that it's t type of UK university where wealthy nigerian students go for an easy, quick degree. The education standard is not impressive.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 7:02pm On Jan 18, 2016
I keep telling people
Contact the department in the school that controls your subject.
Ask about their success in job placements after graduation.

A good department with good success will be happy to give you figures and even put you in touch with past graduates.
If they can not or will not give figures the think what are they hiding?

It is your department and subject that is important the reputation of the whole school is just a guideline.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by solaceseeker(f): 11:25pm On Jan 18, 2016
worry359:

grin grin

Anyway can anyone tell me about Anglia Ruskin University?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:31pm On Jan 18, 2016
r231:
I have a part-time job going on if any of you guys around Southeast London interested please pm me.

Salary please grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:06am On Jan 19, 2016
justwise:

Salary please grin

Ah oga justwise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by r231(m): 1:30pm On Jan 19, 2016
justwise:

Salary please grin

lol grin grin

salary less attractive grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sammydoe: 7:53am On Jan 20, 2016
Oga area in southlondon and how much per hour and the days and hours of the work

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (213) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.