Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,380 members, 7,800,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (150) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (808683 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:00am On May 14, 2016
chupcake:
Hey everyone, thanks for the help so far. I will be leaving for the UK next week. This is my first time traveling at all so it all seems a bit overwhelming. I will be traveling through the gatwick airport. I guess I just need advice is all. From pre-departure to arrival and everything in between. My brother is coming to pick me up from the airport. Am I allowed to pack food and if yes, what am I allowed to pack. What else will I need? How much is sufficient to have with me? If you can think of anything else that can help apart from the above question, pls add. I feel like I am going into unknown territory and it feels somehow. Thanks in advance.

Cc justwise

Travel with the same bank statement or current one containing your maintenance money and some cash..500-1000 is not bad for a start.

There is no need carrying too much clothing or shoes as you are likely to get better ones here.

Use the space for clothing and shoes for food stuff like garri, pounded yarm and oil people have mentioned those here and i know some friends who ere able to travel with those.

Your brother will educate you better since he is in the system already.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 10:39am On May 19, 2016
Hey guys, is there anyone in Coventry University? Can i have a breakdown of accomodation over there and menial job offers there in Coventry...Probably care giving, stores, and some other jobs of that nature.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chucksbadt(m): 7:11am On May 25, 2016
Good morning house.
Please is there anyone here going to University of Huddersfield this September?
Or Anyone who is currently there?
Need some more insights about the school.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:45am On May 27, 2016
How's it possible for someone to go along with the maintenance fee, I mean can the money be changed into Pounds before going and where could that be??

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 8:04am On May 29, 2016
Cc:Justwise, GeneralShepherd, spikesC and others.

Does anyone know anything about Birmingham city University (BCU). The percentage of getting a part-time job over, also is the area okay.
And is it easy getting a part-time job in Birmingham.

Thanks and God bless as you reply.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:59pm On May 29, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:
Cc:Justwise, GeneralShepherd, spikesC and others.

Does anyone know anything about Birmingham city University (BCU). The percentage of getting a part-time job over, also is the area okay.
And is it easy getting a part-time job in Birmingham.

Thanks and God bless as you reply.

Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK so getting a part time job will not be a problem and there are two universities in that city.

I don't know anybody there though.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chucksbadt(m): 11:21pm On May 29, 2016
Cc justwise
Please how is life in Huddersfield? I applied for MSc Advanced Computer Science in University of Huddersfield, September batch.

Are there part time jobs there?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:13am On May 30, 2016
Hi
Justwise I messaged you privately, please reply.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:36pm On May 30, 2016
chucksbadt:
Cc justwise
Please how is life in Huddersfield? I applied for MSc Advanced Computer Science in University of Huddersfield, September batch.

Are there part time jobs there?

Huddersfield is not much of a big city so job wise you may not have a lot to choose from, i used to live in that area and been to Huddersfield a lot of times. The university area and the town centre are the lively areas in Huddersfield. Leeds and Manchester are two big cities closer to Huddersfield.

You may have to make do with university job board and agencies to see what you can get hold of.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chucksbadt(m): 8:42pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

Huddersfield is not much of a big city so job wise you may not have a lot to choose from, i used to live in that area and been to Huddersfield a lot of times. The university area and the town centre are the lively areas in Huddersfield. Leeds and Manchester are two big cities closer to Huddersfield.

You may have to make do with university job board and agencies to see what you can get hold of.

Thanks for the insight boss.

My main reason for going there is because of the £4000 waiver i was given for tuition, stepping my tuition down from £14,000 to £10,000 for my MSc.

I also heard cost of living there is quite affordable

Hope it's a good choice tho
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 9:22pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK so getting a part time job will not be a problem and there are two universities in that city.

I don't know anybody there though.
What about the maintenance fee, how much do you think it's okay for a year??
And what are the things to do in order to go along with the maintenance fee, is it possible changing it to pounds or can it be transfered when that person gets there.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

hi bro, please I sent you a mail. Could you please reply. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:01pm On May 30, 2016
chucksbadt:

Thanks for the insight boss.

My main reason for going there is because of the £4000 waiver i was given for tuition, stepping my tuition down from £14,000 to £10,000 for my MSc.

I also heard cost of living there is quite affordable

Hope it's a good choice tho

I don't blame you for choosing the school given the waiver, that is very generous.

Yes cost of living there is very very affordable.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:02pm On May 30, 2016
agalamanyi:
hi bro, please I sent you a mail. Could you please reply. Thanks

Please ask the question here because my inbox is full of questions I'm yet to reply
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:07pm On May 30, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

What about the maintenance fee, how much do you think it's okay for a year??
And what are the things to do in order to go along with the maintenance fee, is it possible changing it to pounds or can it be transfered when that person gets there.

Maintenance money stated by UKBA is just enough to survive on but if you spend carefully you will live comfortably with no immediate need to work.

I really don't know how one can get hard currency into the UK considering the exchange rate and financial policy by Nigerian government.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

Please ask the question here because my inbox is full of questions I'm yet to reply
oki dookie
Thanks for all the help you have rendered on the Uk trend, I hope this email meets you well,  I need a little clarification/guidance. 
I intend to start my msc program in real estate and finance , I have offers from Nottingham trent university and University of Aberdeen,  NTU is about 3k pounds cheaper so it's kinda appealing.
, what are the prospects of getting a part time job in these towns few months on arrival in other to help with maintenance cost, if you have any Idea, also which is cheaper to live in, with regards to cost of living, I have some family in the Uk so settling down shouldn't be so rough. 
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 10:32pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

Maintenance money stated by UKBA is just enough to survive on but if you spend carefully you will live comfortably with no immediate need to work.

I really don't know how one can get hard currency into the UK considering the exchange rate and financial policy by Nigerian government.
Can it be transfered from a Nigerian account when the person gets there
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:38pm On May 30, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Can it be transfered from a Nigerian account when the person gets there

You still need to confirm from your bank if that is possible
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:49pm On May 30, 2016
agalamanyi:
oki dookie
Thanks for all the help you have rendered on the Uk trend, I hope this email meets you well,  I need a little clarification/guidance. 
I intend to start my msc program in real estate and finance , I have offers from Nottingham trent university and University of Aberdeen,  NTU is about 3k pounds cheaper so it's kinda appealing.
, what are the prospects of getting a part time job in these towns few months on arrival in other to help with maintenance cost, if you have any Idea, also which is cheaper to live in, with regards to cost of living, I have some family in the Uk so settling down shouldn't be so rough. 
Thanks

Use the the UK university ranking website to see their rankings especially subject ranking that will help you make an informed decision.

If you are on budget then £3000 will be attractive and will influence your decision.

Job wise..Nobody will given you a heart warming answer because the reality may not be the same.it all boils down to how good you are with job search and how far you are ready to travel to work. Some people restrict their job search within the university city while others are ready to travel outside the city for any job.

So go with your maintenance money and start searching for job when you settle and know your way around city.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 10:53pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

OK, Thank you bro.
Can i get your contact if i need more information on this, cause you might not get the time replying my message. How about that bro
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:59pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

Use the the UK university ranking website to see their rankings especially subject ranking that will help you make an informed decision.

If you are on budget then £3000 will be attractive and will influence your decision.

Job wise..Nobody will given you a heart warming answer because the reality may not be the same.it all boils down to how good you are with job search and how far you are ready to travel to work. Some people restrict their job search within the university city while others are ready to travel outside the city for any job.

So go with your maintenance money and start searching for job when you settle and know your way around city.
thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 11:02pm On May 30, 2016
justwise:

Which step(s) do you think it's okay and suitable??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Freddyboat: 1:01pm On May 31, 2016
can anyone pls tell me how life in manor park-eastham is
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 7:21pm On May 31, 2016
Please guys, i still need some info from you guys. I believe it will be of help to others too. Will appreciate answers to the following:
1. Please now that most banks have started withdrawing the use of debit cards for International transactions, whats the alternative if one travels out and how best can one access his or her maintenance fee? How then can one have access to the money in his or her Naija bank account?
2. Please i might be a novice but it won't be a bad idea if i asked this. Please can someone please explain what domiciliary account is. Whats the use of it to a student travelling to the UK for studies. I will admit that i don't know what it is.
Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obynwanyioma(f): 6:28am On Jun 06, 2016
Hi all, pls has anyone used form A for paying sch fees abroad of recent...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 6:54am On Jun 06, 2016
obynwanyioma:
Hi all, pls has anyone used form A for paying sch fees abroad of recent...
Yeah i used it last week but i am still expecting it to be processed. As at last week, they stated that the CBN had not sent forex to banks. If u want to use Form A, u need to act fast before it is stopped.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obynwanyioma(f): 3:21pm On Jun 06, 2016
fizzile:
Yeah i used it last week but i am still expecting it to be processed. As at last week, they stated that the CBN had not sent forex to banks. If u want to use Form A, u need to act fast before it is stopped.
Thanks dear for responding,which bank did u use?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 3:37pm On Jun 06, 2016
obynwanyioma:

Thanks dear for responding,which bank did u use?
Well I used Union. U can make use of any bank..First Bank,Zenith,Diamond.GTB as long as you have an account with them and the money is right in the account.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obynwanyioma(f): 8:05pm On Jun 06, 2016
Ok. Thanks a lot
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 3:33am On Jun 08, 2016
fizzile:
Well I used Union. U can make use of any bank..First Bank,Zenith,Diamond.GTB as long as you have an account with them and the money is right in the account.
Does it applies to those who are asked to deposit part of school fees to the school??
And is there any other process except from this and how.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 3:46am On Jun 08, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Does it applies to those who are asked to deposit part of school fees to the school??
And is there any other process except from this and how.

Thanks
So far,that's the cheapest way at the moment. Its applicable to deposit aswell. U know u have to fulfill ur conditions on ur offer letter before your CAS is sent to you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 3:54am On Jun 08, 2016
fizzile:
So far,that's the cheapest way at the moment. Its applicable to deposit aswell. U know u have to fulfill ur conditions on ur offer letter before your CAS is sent to you.
Yeah, that's why I wanna know if it's still same steps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (213) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.