Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,400 members, 7,781,156 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:01 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (161) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (805763 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:24pm On Jul 09, 2016
Dynamitehimself:

@justwise
Oh thanks for the response i am most grateful. I just hope the receipt will serve the verification purpose.
Plz do you have any hints per gram price of maybe 18 karat.Or anyway you could confirm I would appreciate.
Thanks in anticipation.

No sorry I got absolutely no clue on that.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 2:50pm On Jul 09, 2016
justwise:

No sorry I got absolutely no clue on that.

Ok thanks so far
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by swaggprofessor(m): 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
justwise:

Sure you can send money to someone in the UK

No he can't.
pls by what means can I send money to some1 in the uk and what are the bank charges for each transaction
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 9:05pm On Jul 11, 2016
Cc: justwise OlowoB claremont fizzile and others..
Now that the UK has appointed Theresa May as the new PM(Prime minister). What do you guys all think about this new role
Will it still favour international students or nahh
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 9:24pm On Jul 11, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:
Cc: justwise OlowoB claremont fizzile and others..

Now that the UK has appointed Theresa May as the new PM(Prime minister).
What do you guys all think about this new role

Will it still favour international students or nahh

It wouldn't favour international students or immigrants in general I'm afraid. Theresa May headed the Home Office for 6 years, and her time in that Office has seen the promulgation of the most hostile immigration policies against international students. That was when the UK hadn't voted the leave the EU, the policies will be even more hostile now that she is supposed to be heading a new government that will take the UK out of the EU.

If the intent of the international student is to come to the UK for studying alone, that's not set to change. If the intent is to immigrate after studying, I wouldn't recommend the UK at this point in time. I also foresee the financial threshold to get married will be increased from the present £18,500 to at least £30,000. This will almost close down the marriage route of immigration. Tier 1 and Tier 2 visa salary threshold might also be raised as well.

What we are hoping for is that the Labour Party gets its house in order and present a formidable opposition force to the forthcoming hostile immigration policies.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2016
claremont:

It wouldn't favour international students or immigrants in general I'm afraid. Theresa May headed the Home Office for 6 years, and her time in that Office has seen the promulgation of the most hostile immigration policies against international students. That was when the UK hadn't voted the leave the EU, the policies will be even more hostile now that she is supposed to be heading a new government that will take the UK out of the EU.

If the intent of the international student is to come to the UK for studying alone, that's not set to change. If the intent is to immigrate after studying, I wouldn't recommend the UK at this point in time. I also foresee the financial threshold to get married will be increased from the present £18,500 to at least £30,000. This will almost close down the marriage route of immigration. Tier 1 and Tier 2 visa salary threshold might also be raised as well.

What we are hoping for is for the Labour Party to get its house in order and present a formidable opposition force to the forthcoming hostile immigration policies.
You think there's still hope, things might change?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 12:36am On Jul 12, 2016
claremont:

What we are hoping for is that the Labour Party gets its house in order and present a formidable opposition force to the forthcoming hostile immigration policies.
hmm nawa
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 8:26am On Jul 12, 2016
@claremont has said it all.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 9:08am On Jul 12, 2016
claremont:

Do not hold your breath for that!
The British public will not support a party that is controlled by the unions
and left wing fanatics.
The labour party spend more time fighting itself than trying to govern.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 10:32am On Jul 12, 2016
worry359:

Do not hold your breath for that!
The British public will not support a party that is controlled by the unions
and left wing fanatics.
The labour party spend more time fighting itself than trying to govern.
But do wee see any hope in Theresa May? cos from stories i have heard here, seems things will really toughen up ooooo. All those that voted for Exit should come and explain the benefit of this whole thing.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 10:33am On Jul 12, 2016
Please for those that voted BREXIT, please kindly explain the benefits and relate it with having Theresa May as the new PM. cos from the stories i have heard, that woman is tough.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 10:39am On Jul 12, 2016
fizzile:
Please for those that voted BREXIT, please kindly explain the benefits and relate it with having Theresa May as the new PM. cos from the stories i have heard, that woman is tough.

No point having someone weak as leader of the country!
Britain has another "Iron Lady"
In fact this one is probably tougher than Thatcher!

Merkel need not think she is going to bully this one!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 10:54am On Jul 12, 2016
worry359:

No point having someone weak as leader of the country!
Britain has another "Iron Lady"
In fact this one is probably tougher than Thatcher!

Merkel need not think she is going to bully this one!
So apart from the fact that she is firm as a leader of the country, what's do International students seek to benefit in the nearest future? And what impact will it have on the cost of living,housing and jobs in the UK?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 11:37am On Jul 12, 2016
Clairemont has explained enough.

There are so many things that could get better or worse.
No one is Nostradamus here. No accurate predictions can be made with 100% certainty. There is so much speculation right now.
The only definite things we know are:
- he GBP surprisingly lost significant value(but it has started recovering);
- EU wants UK to start the EU-exit process ASAP;
- Top UK party leaders have been resigning;
- Theresa May might historically have a tough view on immigration, but immigration into UK has also steadily increased during her term as Home Secretary; ...

As I'm affected, the most important for me is DON'T PANIC, start making adjustments to my UK plans (both short-term and long-term), and closely monitor the slightly-volatile political and economic situation.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2016
claremont:

I don't see that happening at least not that figure, £20.000 maybe but £30,000? Not in next 5 years at least.

The current £18,600 was challenged in court recently though the state won but increasing it to £30,000 will hard to think of.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Freddyboat: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2016
Hi house,does anyone here know much about manor park,eastham - london? If so kindly tell me much abt it
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:34am On Jul 15, 2016
@All

Apart from Azimo is there any other agency with a better deal for sending money to Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 10:41am On Jul 15, 2016
justwise:
@All

Apart from Azimo is there any other agency with a better deal for sending money to Nigeria?

Check World Remit, I have only ever used them. Rates for today attached.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:45am On Jul 15, 2016
claremont:

Check World Remit, I have only ever used them.

Will try them, thanks a lot.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:55am On Jul 15, 2016
claremont:

Check World Remit, I have only ever used them. Rates for today attached.

They are pretty much the same though Arimo charges zero fees for sending(though i'm not sure if its for first timers only)

worldremit is higher by about N20
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 11:36am On Jul 15, 2016
justwise:
@All

try transferboss.com I have been using them for quite a while now. I was using worldremit until they started giving ridiculous exchange rates.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:45am On Jul 15, 2016
dustydee:

try transferboss.com I have been using them for quite a while now. I was using worldremit until they started giving ridiculous exchange rates.

Yea i have heard about them but never used them.

Will try them out and compare deals.

Thanks a lot though.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 12:10pm On Jul 15, 2016
Hey guys,I will like to know how these transfer works. Is it when you have a UK account and you can then transfer your pounds to a Naira bank account in Nigeria? Please I wl appreciate some insight.
cc: justwise,dustydee,claremont.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 1:41pm On Jul 15, 2016
fizzile:
Hey guys,I will like to know how these transfer works. Is it when you have a UK account and you can then transfer your pounds to a Naira bank account in Nigeria? Please I wl appreciate some insight.
cc: justwise,dustydee,claremont.
For transferboss, yes.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 9:29pm On Jul 16, 2016
AdaLuen:

Hey. I'll be going to Bangor, but with the January start date. Are you settled in yet? I'm already looking for apartments. Every apartment I've seen online is EXPENSIVE. Ah! embarassed
hey AdaLuen.good evening.pls i just got admission to bangor university for msc accounting and finance (september entry) am yet to apply for visa though...hopefully i will do so early august.pls can we communicate...here is my whatsapp 08151807796... email: olatundebarnabas@ gmail.com...thanks...hoping to hear frm u
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 7:07am On Jul 18, 2016
pls how do people get the 20hrs a week jobs in uk...i dont really know any handwork...but i love writing.pls i need advise...i am coming for my msc in accounting by september
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 5:23pm On Jul 18, 2016
justwise:
Again that is not the point queensmith was making.
good evening Mr Justwise...i just recently found this your educative thread.pls i got admission to study msc accounting& finance in Bangor university..pls can u advise me on the best form of accomodation, how much i should prepare for living expenses,,and hw to get a reasonable part time job to support myself in Bangor. the university claims to have a low living expense compared to other uk cities..thanks so much
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 5:59pm On Jul 18, 2016
BarryJones:

good evening Mr Justwise...i just recently found this your educative thread.pls i got admission to study msc accounting& finance in Bangor university..pls can u advise me on the best form of accomodation, how much i should prepare for living expenses,,and hw to get a reasonable part time job to support myself in Bangor. the university claims to have a low living expense compared to other uk cities..thanks so much

Contact the admissions office they will have details of accommodation.
There is a lot of student accommodation to rent there.

Also search on line for Bangor student accommodation.

Some would suggest that low living expense is because there is nothing to spend money on!
Bangor is very quiet and in North Wales.
Most entertainment will be through the university.

Few jobs there and most will be low wages in shops.
Priority for jobs will be given to Welsh speakers!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Firefly77: 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2016
please how can I get a cheap students' accommodation in London?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2016
Firefly77:

London is the most expensive place to live in the UK.
Nothing is cheap there.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 12:00am On Jul 19, 2016
Firefly77:

You might be lucky to meet a Nigerian with a house that will allow you to live there at low cost, or you could join hands with a fellow student and rent a 2-bedroom on the outskirts of London. In any case, London is a very expensive place to live. I lived and worked there a few years ago, could barely save anything after rent and bills had been deducted.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.