Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,802 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (162) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (808916 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 6:55am On Jul 19, 2016
claremont:

It wouldn't favour international students or immigrants in general I'm afraid. Theresa May headed the Home Office for 6 years, and her time in that Office has seen the promulgation of the most hostile immigration policies against international students. That was when the UK hadn't voted the leave the EU, the policies will be even more hostile now that she is supposed to be heading a new government that will take the UK out of the EU.

If the intent of the international student is to come to the UK for studying alone, that's not set to change. If the intent is to immigrate after studying, I wouldn't recommend the UK at this point in time. I also foresee the financial threshold to get married will be increased from the present £18,500 to at least £30,000. This will almost close down the marriage route of immigration. Tier 1 and Tier 2 visa salary threshold might also be raised as well.

What we are hoping for is that the Labour Party gets its house in order and present a formidable opposition force to the forthcoming hostile immigration policies.

I disagree. Long term, say after 2020, Brexit will benefit international students. Short term, the situation is likely to not real change much. Although some employers might become more willing to sponsor good non-EU students now, if they are thinking forward to a post Brexit era.

The UK really does need some immigration, if there will be any economic growth. On one hand, the stoppage of an free inflow of hardworking EU workers means prices of goods and services will rise dramatically, when entitled Brits are the only one who can take these jobs, especially the low skilled ones. For instance, I read about truck drivers somewhere in England who used to earn £16 an hour years ago, but a glut of EU drivers crashed the wage down to £9. If these wages go back up, then prices of goods will have to rise as well.

It will even be worse with high skilled jobs. It has been proven that although Cameron's Govt had been pushing against immigration, without high figures for it, there would be no way that the current population can meet economic targets (budget surplus by 2020). Now that the workforce can't easily come from Europe, it means everyone else now has a fairer chance of getting a work visa. Of course, you still need relevant skills.

I don't think Theresa May was all that hostile towards international students as Home Secretary. She had a impossible directive from her boss; to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands. So, she ensured that many loopholes are blocked. Unfortunately she's also made it tougher for fresh grads to get sponsored. BUT, all in all, immigration has actually risen, despite all her efforts.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ell77(f): 9:50am On Jul 20, 2016
ocheejemb:

I disagree. Long term, say after 2020, Brexit will benefit international students. Short term, the situation is likely to not real change much. Although some employers might become more willing to sponsor good non-EU students now, if they are thinking forward to a post Brexit era.

The UK really does need some immigration, if there will be any economic growth. On one hand, the stoppage of an free inflow of hardworking EU workers means prices of goods and services will rise dramatically, when entitled Brits are the only one who can take these jobs, especially the low skilled ones. For instance, I read about truck drivers somewhere in England who used to earn £16 an hour years ago, but a glut of EU drivers crashed the wage down to £9. If these wages go back up, then prices of goods will have to rise as well.

It will even be worse with high skilled jobs. It has been proven that although Cameron's Govt had been pushing against immigration, without high figures for it, there would be no way that the current population can meet economic targets (budget surplus by 2020). Now that the workforce can't easily come from Europe, it means everyone else now has a fairer chance of getting a work visa. Of course, you still need relevant skills.

I don't think Theresa May was all that hostile towards international students as Home Secretary. She had a impossible directive from her boss; to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands. So, she ensured that many loopholes are blocked. Unfortunately she's also made it tougher for fresh grads to get sponsored. BUT, all in all, immigration has actually risen, despite all her efforts.

Your point of view sounds reasonable. Unfortunately, as of yet, certain things have not been confirmed. Theresa May has not banned free flow of EU migrants and if she wants access to the single market EU has intimated she will have to give free flow for EU migrants. So if the basis of all this new non-European favouritism is on no free flow access for EU migrants, we will all have to wait and see.

Also the budget surplus was pretty much abandoned by George Osborne, just before Theresa May replaced him. It is uncertain whether his replacement will reinstate that, but I assume not.

You are right though, the UK needs immigrants at least in the short to medium term. If they scrapped the welfare system or made certain aspects harder to access though you may find this would no longer be the case in the long term.

Brexit could not occur until 2019 anyway. So I advise anyone coming now to as always have a view of returning to Nigeria at the end of a masters course. For longer courses, try and target companies that don't depend so heavily on the EU, as a safer alternative. Easier said than done I know.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 5:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
worry359:

Contact the admissions office they will have details of accommodation.
There is a lot of student accommodation to rent there.

Also search on line for Bangor student accommodation.

Some would suggest that low living expense is because there is nothing to spend money on!
Bangor is very quiet and in North Wales.
Most entertainment will be through the university.

Few jobs there and most will be low wages in shops.
Priority for jobs will be given to Welsh speakers!
Thank you so much. I appreciate your response.God bless.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 8:17am On Jul 21, 2016
pls how do they dress to class in the UK.. i am planning on taking a lot of native ankara and lace dressess. with a few coporate shirts and a suit.Is it true that clothes are cheaper over there? also will our normal nigerian sweater be enough to protect me from the cold over there? what are the food items & kithen utensils i need to take along?.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 8:42am On Jul 21, 2016
BarryJones:
pls how do they dress to class in the UK.. i am planning on taking a lot of native ankara and lace dressess. with a few coporate shirts and a suit.Is it true that clothes are cheaper over there? also will our normal nigerian sweater be enough to protect me from the cold over there? what are the food items & kithen utensils i need to take along?.thanks

No one will mind how you dress to classes.
Take what YOU feel comfortable in, as your ideas develop you can buy cloths there.
Warm clothing can be bought when you decide what you want.
Try to take a coat as it may be wet when you arrive and you will feel the cold.
Clothes can be cheap or expensive but there is plenty of selection at all levels.
If funds are not abundant look for charity shops or car boot sales. Here you will find used goods at fair prices.
All your kitchen utensils can be bought there again ranging from cheap to expensive designer brands.
You will find some foods in large supermarkets and Asian stores often stock African items.
Someone at the students union will be able to direct you to shops.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:11am On Jul 21, 2016
BarryJones:
pls how do they dress to class in the UK.. i am planning on taking a lot of native ankara and lace dressess. with a few coporate shirts and a suit.Is it true that clothes are cheaper over there? also will our normal nigerian sweater be enough to protect me from the cold over there? what are the food items & kithen utensils i need to take along? .thanks

You don't need any of those only if you are attending your church annual conference else leave them in Nigeria.

Come with your Nigerian sweater for a start and buy appropriate one when you settle or when the cold start getting at you and the Nigerian sweater is not holding on.

Come with your corporate shirts and a suit as you may need it for presentations or meetings

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannyabba(m): 4:19pm On Jul 21, 2016
justwise:

You don't need any of those only if you are attending your church annual conference ELSE LEAVE THEM IN NIGERIA.

Come with your Nigerian sweater for a start and buy appropriate one when you settle or when the cold start getting at you and the Nigerian sweater is not holding on.

Come with your corporate shirts and a suit as you may need it for presentations or meetings

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 7:06pm On Jul 21, 2016
BarryJones:

Hahahaha grin grin grin You will be the center of attraction if you wear those to your class lessons.

Clothes and food stuff can be cheap or expensive in the UK depending on where you shop, you can choose to bring some if you wish. Try bringing as much Nigerian food stuff as your luggage allowance will allow you, Nigerian food is a bit over-priced in the UK.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 9:48pm On Jul 21, 2016
justwise:

You don't need any of those only if you are attending your church annual conference else leave them in Nigeria.

LOL, they will all stare at him like..

“Who's this man? Are we having costume class?? "grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 6:44am On Jul 22, 2016
[quote author=Firefly77 post=47771587][/quote]

Who are you?
You give no introduction or details.
And why should anyone trust you?

Anyway if you want to advertise pay Mr Sean!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 11:10pm On Jul 22, 2016
Thanks you Mr Justwise, claremont, worry359, and every one that responded to my questions. I have some more questions.
1. Can I pay my tuition fees using my Debit card?
2. Will it be best to open an account in UK or just depend on my GTB naira Mastercard for all my transactions in UK
3. What is the fee per transaction
4. How much should cash should I hold, when coming over.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:51am On Jul 23, 2016
BarryJones:
Thanks you Mr Justwise, claremont, worry359, and every one that responded to my questions. I have some more questions.
1. Can I pay my tuition fees using my Debit card?
2. Will it be best to open an account in UK or just depend on my GTB naira Mastercard for all my transactions in UK
3. What is the fee per transaction
4. How much should cash should I hold, when coming over.
Thanks

1. You can confirm that from your bank.

2. Opening bank account in the UK is something you have to do else it will cost you even more to survive here.

3. I don't know as the fee changes.

4. Hold as much as you can, if you can hold £5000 or above then you will have no problem surviving here
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Firefly77: 7:57am On Jul 23, 2016
worry359:

Who are you?
You give no introduction or details.
And why should anyone trust you?

Anyway if you want to advertise pay Mr Sean!

Are you okay? What exactly about my post made you feel I was asking for your trust? Some1 posted here that he can help prospective students get accommodation around London and I replied him asking if he has any around Camden, and here you are, asking me job interview questions. I don't know you as well and I didn't ask you to introduce yourself to me, and that's cos I don't care. You might decide to block this post as you blocked the other one, but I'm preety sure you'll read my message. I'm off, enjoy your page and tell Mr Sean" not to expect 1 kobo from me.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by aligeee(m): 12:19pm On Jul 23, 2016
fizzile:
GUYS, FOR THOSE OF YOU GOING TO THE UK FOR STUDIES SEPTEMBER THIS YEAR, PLEASE KINDLY INDICATE. I THINK ITS HIGH TIME WE KNEW OURSELVES. IT COULD HELP IN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. PLEASE INDICATE AND STATE YOUR LOCATION. PROBABLY YOU COULD FIND SOMEONE GOING FOR THE SAME PROGRAMME OR SAME DESTINATION. YOU NEVER CAN TELL HOW HELPFUL IT WILL BE. THANKS.
N/B: AS FOR ME, AM HEADING TO COVENTRY

I am heading to Cranfield University this September for MSc Process Systems Engineering Anyone here going there as well should please holla.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 1:18pm On Jul 23, 2016
Firefly77:

. You might decide to block this post as you blocked the other one, but I'm preety sure you'll read my message. I'm off, enjoy your page and tell Mr Sean" not to expect 1 kobo from me.

I did not block you. grin grin grin
Perhaps the moderator is suspicious as well. shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by essayHelp(m): 10:28am On Jul 24, 2016
For taught MSc courses starting in late September, when do students usually graduate (that is, after completing exams and submiting research project)?

From personal experience, what is the earliest completion date you have seen or heard?

Thanks.

cc justwise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2016
T
essayHelp:
For taught MSc courses starting in late September, when do students usually graduate (that is, after completing exams and submiting research project)?

From personal experience, what is the earliest completion date you have seen or heard?

Thanks.

Late July is early.
So estimate late July to early September.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by essayHelp(m): 1:14pm On Jul 24, 2016
spacyzuma:
T

Late July is early.
So estimate late July to early September.

Thanks boss.

Is mid-August realistic, or too optimistic? (If you work with a deadline and inform your supervisor on time.)

cc justwise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by elope: 6:19pm On Jul 24, 2016
Lakehay21:

I stay in Sunderland which is close to Newcastle, I visit Newcastle often and it's a vibrant city, cost of living is not too pricy as well.
what part of sunderland do u stay
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 10:32pm On Jul 24, 2016
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/23/theresa-may-plans-new-immigration-crackdown-on-student-visas/?WTmcid=tmgoff_soc_spf_fb&WT.mc_id=sf31634953
''Theresa May’s new government is preparing the ground for a fresh crackdown on immigration amid concerns that universities have become an easy route into Britain for migrants who want to work.

The Prime Minister has backed calls to restrict student visas so that only the brightest and best can come to study at reputable universities in Britain.

As Home Secretary she took action to close down “bogus” colleges and to limit visas for students coming to study some further education courses.

But Mrs May’s team believe further restrictions on international students could significantly help to reduce net migration.''
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:02am On Jul 25, 2016
claremont:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/23/theresa-may-plans-new-immigration-crackdown-on-student-visas/?WTmcid=tmgoff_soc_spf_fb&WT.mc_id=sf31634953
''Theresa May’s new government is preparing the ground for a fresh crackdown on immigration amid concerns that universities have become an easy route into Britain for migrants who want to work.

The Prime Minister has backed calls to restrict student visas so that only the brightest and best can come to study at reputable universities in Britain.

As Home Secretary she took action to close down “bogus” colleges and to limit visas for students coming to study some further education courses.

But Mrs May’s team believe further restrictions on international students could significantly help to reduce net migration.''

They've seen that restricting free movement from EU is not going to be possible, so back to those they can bully. I pity new students coming in.
Why aren't people looking at Germany btw?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:15am On Jul 25, 2016
spikesC:

They've seen that restricting free movement from EU is not going to be possible, so back to those they can bully. I pity new students coming in.
Why aren't people looking at Germany btw?

Blame the universities and student union as they have played a blinder to all these changes targeting foreign students. Remember when home student tuition fees were increased by the govt the student union encouraged all students including foreign student to match to London and demonstrate about it.

It will come back to hurt them with time,They have to keep giving fee discounts or scholarships so as to attract foreign students
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 8:05am On Jul 25, 2016
claremont:

WTF hmmmm
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarryJones(m): 9:01am On Jul 25, 2016
justwise:

1. You can confirm that from your bank.

2. Opening bank account in the UK is something you have to do else it will cost you even more to survive here.

3. I don't know as the fee changes.

4. Hold as much as you can, if you can hold £5000 or above then you will have no problem surviving here
Thank you for your reply,
I still have some more questions please.
1. By opening an account in the UK, do you mean that I will open an account with a Nigerian Bank, eg GTB in the UK?
2. Assuming i open a UK account, If they want to send money to me, will my parents need to convert the money to pounds with Aboki first or something like that?
3. Is there MTN, Glo or Airtel in UK? If no, what sim should i get on my arrival. How much is their data plan? I think if i can have a good data plan i can even be calling naija through free whatsapp call to save more.
4. Please do you have info about students writing ICAN in UK, I hope to complete my exams there? I know ICAN has an exam centre in London.
5. What job websites should i begin to check from now, so that i can get a part time job at least few months after my arrival?
Thanks sir
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ell77(f): 9:02am On Jul 25, 2016
justwise:

Blame the universities and student union as they have played a blinder to all these changes targeting foreign students. Remember when home student tuition fees were increased by the govt the student union encouraged all students including foreign student to match to London and demonstrate about it.

It will come back to hurt them with time,They have to keep giving fee discounts or scholarships so as to attract foreign students

Britain needs foreign students. I would argue this is a major pillar of our economy. I wish Leadsom had won. Even though she was a Brexiter she understood economics more. She may eventually have realised more immigration is needed when given the facts.

As Home Secretary in David Cameron’s government, Mrs May clashed repeatedly with other ministers over her attempts to curb migration.

George Osborne, as Chancellor, and officials in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills tried to thwart her efforts because they regarded international students as good for the economy and for universities, which charge them higher tuition fees.

The Treasury and the BIS department were trying to relax the student visa rules by removing student numbers from official immigration statistics altogether.

Last year, the Treasury estimated that an extra 55,000 foreign students would be coming to Britain every year, taking the total number of these non-EU migrants to 320,000 by 2020. This would boost the economy by £1 billion, government documents suggested.

However, when she became Prime Minister, Mrs May sacked Mr Osborne and abolished BIS. The universities brief was moved into a beefed-up Department for Education under the new Education Secretary, Justine Greening, who is one of the Prime Minister’s strongest allies.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 9:27am On Jul 25, 2016
BarryJones:

1. By opening an account in the UK, do you mean that I will open an account with a Nigerian Bank, eg GTB in the UK?
2. Assuming i open a UK account, If they want to send money to me, will my parents need to convert the money to pounds with Aboki first or something like that?
3. Is there MTN, Glo or Airtel in UK? If no, what sim should i get on my arrival. How much is their data plan? I think if i can have a good data plan i can even be calling naija through free whatsapp call to save more.
4. Please do you have info about students writing ICAN in UK, I hope to complete my exams there? I know ICAN has an exam centre in London.
5. What job websites should i begin to check from now, so that i can get a part time job at least few months after my arrival?
Thanks sir

Not to be rude, bro, but some questions you ask are downright funny because they can be easily googled.
1) You should open an account with a UK bank. During registration period at the university, Banks like Barclays, Lloyds, Nationwide advertise themselves and give student-special accounts with variable good benefits.
2) Your parents can send you money via direct bank transfer from GTB (or other nigerian banks) to your UK bank. They could also use Western Union, or other online money transfer services like worldremit.
3) This is the funny question. NO! There's EE, O2, Virgin, Vodafone, Three, Lebara, Lycamobile and some others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_Europe#United_Kingdom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators
4) I have no idea about this one. But please google it.
5) Register with milkround and gradcracker and setup your profile. Most of the jobs advertised there are fulltime, but you may see part-time vacancies there too. When you get to your school, always attend job fairs. There would also be some local means of looking for temporary jobs (eg Student Union buildings, meeting, forums)

Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 9:29am On Jul 25, 2016
For the people who've been in UK for years and are now working or doing business here, how do you deal with credit?

From personal experiences, which bank gives the best credit card deals? I've googled and have a list, but I wanna hear experiences from fellow Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 1:44pm On Jul 25, 2016
spacyzuma:
For the people who've been in UK for years and are now working or doing business here, how do you deal with credit?

From personal experiences, which bank gives the best credit card deals? I've googled and have a list, but I wanna hear experiences from fellow Nigerians.

The bank that would give you the best deal is the bank you already have a good history with i.e. the bank where your cash inflow and outflow goes to. They can see your history, so they would already know how you manage money. I registered with RBS as a post-graduate student in 2009, it took me till 2013 to get an overdraft with them, I got my first credit card with them in 2014 and a second one in 2015. If you are working with a good credit history, your bank will keep on shoving credit facilities into your face. You have to be very careful in the way you use credit, you can ruin your life if you misuse it to the point when you struggle to pay it back.

Credit, when used properly can open up a lot of doors, especially for those interested in investing in the UK property market. You can get a mortgage for a property, rent that property out. Use the equity from the first property as deposit for a second mortgage. Just keep on rolling it over like that.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Annalise(f): 4:14pm On Jul 25, 2016
BarryJones:

Thanks sir

like spazyzuma said, these are questions you can easily find on Google. You need to get used to the Google life in the UK to survive. With these questions, it seems that settling down will be very difficult for you.
I have a friend who wrote her final ICAN in London. Simply Google ICAN UK and call them. Get used to getting phone numbers from Google and calling people, you will be doing A LOT of that in the UK. Or go to their office in naija and ask them to link you up with London office. Indeed and Reed are better than Milk round or whatever. The ones mentioned by spacyzuma are specifically for graduate positions. If you want a part time hustle job like sales assistant by the side, indeed is the fastest. As soon as you enrol, find the employment office in your school and attend all the job fares. Dont waste money on data plans just for whatapp calls. There's wifi in virtually all houses, universities and public buses. Good luck.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:43pm On Jul 25, 2016
ell77:

Britain needs foreign students. I would argue this is a major pillar of our economy. I wish Leadsom had won. Even though she was a Brexiter she understood economics more. She may eventually have realised more immigration is needed when given the facts.

Are you serious? Everyone knew she wasn't going anywhere. Immediately Boris dropped out the race was over
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:06pm On Jul 25, 2016
BarryJones:

Thanks sir

1. No, you will open an account with any UK bank when you get here.

2. No, they will give the bank naira while the bank send you £ equivalent

3. There are a lot of UK mobile companies to chose from and they all have different data plans. You need to sort that out when you get here.

4. You can, again when you get here you will search for centre closer to you.

5. Indeed is good as Annalise stated, you can walk into job agencies in your university town and apply as well

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (213) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.