Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809620 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:10pm On Mar 24, 2017
captainhoo:

Thanks
Can one come with nija common drugs( meds for catarrh,cold etc)? or one has to use the school clinic.
Does the school clinic offer monthly checks up, full body check (some awuff no de run belle wink wink )

You don't need to come with any drug if you are not on prescription already.

Once you get here and register with the school, you can immediately register with a GP free and prescriptions and checkups are free including operations
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 8:09pm On Mar 24, 2017
jamela:
Hey guys, does any of you run a youtube channel? how do you handle your money from adsense? considering the fact that tier4 students aren't allowed to be self-employed? My friend has a youtube account but didnt take it seriously at first, one of her videos went viral and she decided to monetise it. But she doesnt know how to get the money off youtube as her adsense account is in Uk and that means she has to file for self assessment tax which she may not be allowed to as Tier4. Can she change the adsense to a Nigerian one and still maintain her earnings from youtube? Thanks.

Whats her youtube account?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 8:58pm On Mar 24, 2017
lepasharon:

Whats her youtube account?
I dont have her permission to share it here. Do you have a solution?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 10:00pm On Mar 24, 2017
jamela:

I dont have her permission to share it here. Do you have a solution?

no soz bab
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 10:53pm On Mar 24, 2017
lepasharon:

no soz bab

ok
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kkuti(m): 10:53pm On Mar 24, 2017
[quote author=justwise post=54908698]

Yes you can start cooking the moment you stepped into the house because many shared accommodations are equipped with cooking utensils.

If your accommodation is closer to your school then you will not spend a penny on transport even if its 20-30mins away you can still get discounted student ticket.

Please come with your wig because hair do here is on the high side for sure, after sometimes you will find student who does it on the cheap.

Put the £ on the left and select the naira on the right[/quo

okte]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dirolad(m): 12:59am On Mar 26, 2017
jamela:
Hey guys, does any of you run a youtube channel? how do you handle your money from adsense? considering the fact that tier4 students aren't allowed to be self-employed? My friend has a youtube account but didnt take it seriously at first, one of her videos went viral and she decided to monetise it. But she doesnt know how to get the money off youtube as her adsense account is in Uk and that means she has to file for self assessment tax which she may not be allowed to as Tier4. Can she change the adsense to a Nigerian one and still maintain her earnings from youtube? Thanks.
she cant change d country, But she could be helped. she should change the payee name to someone/citizen close to her there who can verify/receive the address pin for her. Den she should fill in the person bank details to withdraw the funds for her. Simple.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 4:04am On Mar 26, 2017
dirolad:
she cant change d country, But she could be helped. she should change the payee name to someone/citizen close to her there who can verify/receive the address pin for her. Den she should fill in the person bank details to withdraw the funds for her. Simple.
Thanks, I'll let her know.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Manuelmarvyy(m): 10:57am On Mar 27, 2017
Pls I need someone to tell me more about Coventry University UK. Is it really a nice school and cost friendly??
What kinda job can I get once I get there??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mcstar(f): 1:31am On Apr 01, 2017
Manuelmarvyy:
Pls I need someone to tell me more about Coventry University UK. Is it really a nice school and cost friendly??
What kinda job can I get once I get there??
Well, I am currently studying at Coventry University. The workload won't make me say anything nice right now (just kidding) but I guess it's the same with all UK schools. Coventry is nice. You'll mostly be doing warehouse jobs mostly outside Coventry. Common places are Leicester, Lutterworth, Nuneaton and Rugby. There are care jobs too if you like. Working won't be a problem. The only issue you might have is getting your full 20hrs of work since most shifts are 8hrs long.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Manuelmarvyy(m): 1:23am On Apr 10, 2017
mcstar:

Well, I am currently studying at Coventry University. The workload won't make me say anything nice right now (just kidding) but I guess it's the same with all UK schools. Coventry is nice. You'll mostly be doing warehouse jobs mostly outside Coventry. Common places are Leicester, Lutterworth, Nuneaton and Rugby. There are care jobs too if you like. Working won't be a problem. The only issue you might have is getting your full 20hrs of work since most shifts are 8hrs long.
Thanks. I intend coming on September to study either Softwares Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. Haven't really decided on which one.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by captainhoo: 10:58am On May 18, 2017
The room is quiet. hello house

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by captainhoo: 12:18pm On May 20, 2017
Hello house,anyone in Sheffield please? quote me so I can pm or you pm me.Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 6:16pm On May 21, 2017
Hi y'all...please am considering apply to these schools Plymouth University...Coventry and University of West England Bristol...i'd like some tips on which is better...and how possible is it for me to get like a part time student job..Am applying for mechanical engineering....Quick response would be highly appreciated..Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 6:17pm On May 21, 2017
Oh and...how you guys pay your fees...do your guardians/sponsors pay pounds directly or go through dollars?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 6:19pm On May 21, 2017
And like how much should my sponspor send per month to take care of some needs and also accomodation since i heard accomodation fee is paid weekly...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by CallmeLucy(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2017
Coventry Uni is quite good plus there's a large population of Nigerian students as well so that's a plus. Nightlife in Coventry isn't too good tho.

About the fees, you can pay in Pounds, it doesn't matter if you wanna pay in USD as well tho but it's gonna be more expensive because of exchange fee.

For accommodation, it depends if you're living in a student accommodation or in a house. If you're living in a student accommodation, you make payment three times a year, student accommodation is quite expensive tho, I'm paying about £5.5k for one academic year which is roughly 9 months but I'm in Birmingham tho, price gonna be similar as Coventry. The calculations are made on a weekly basis but you make payment in September, January and April. If you're renting a house, it costs about half the price which might be an option you might wanna consider.

I'm not sure about the other two Unis on the list. University of Birmingham and University of Leeds are two Uni you might wanna have a look at as well. Manchester is good as well as I'm planning on getting my Masters in University of Manchester next year.

Hope this helps......

HLion:
Hi y'all...please am considering apply to these schools Plymouth University...Coventry and University of West England Bristol...i'd like some tips on which is better...and how possible is it for me to get like a part time student job..Am applying for mechanical engineering....Quick response would be highly appreciated..Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 5:19pm On May 22, 2017
CallmeLucy:
Coventry Uni is quite good plus there's a large population of Nigerian students as well so that's a plus. Nightlife in Coventry isn't too good tho.

About the fees, you can pay in Pounds, it doesn't matter if you wanna pay in USD as well tho but it's gonna be more expensive because of exchange fee.

For accommodation, it depends if you're living in a student accommodation or in a house. If you're living in a student accommodation, you make payment three times a year, student accommodation is quite expensive tho, I'm paying about £5.5k for one academic year which is roughly 9 months but I'm in Birmingham tho, price gonna be similar as Coventry. The calculations are made on a weekly basis but you make payment in September, January and April. If you're renting a house, it costs about half the price which might be an option you might wanna consider.

I'm not sure about the other two Unis on the list. University of Birmingham and University of Leeds are two Uni you might wanna have a look at as well. Manchester is good as well as I'm planning on getting my Masters in University of Manchester next year.

Hope this helps......

Thanks...it really did, like to ask some other questions .. ...So any other Coventry University students here?. You can add your own advice
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 5:34pm On May 22, 2017
Please any Plymouth Coventry or University of west England bristol students here?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by illusory: 10:52am On May 26, 2017
Hello house, I would appreciate some advice regarding things I can invest in here in the UK. I am doing a PhD so will be here for at least four years and my wife has a job already. We have children too, so our time is basically used up. We would like to invest with our present income but would like more passive investments as we don't have time to run a biz. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 2:38pm On May 26, 2017
illusory:
Hello house, I would appreciate some advice regarding things I can invest in here in the UK. I am doing a PhD so will be here for at least four years and my wife has a job already. We have children too, so our time is basically used up. We would like to invest with our present income but would like more passive investments as we don't have time to run a biz. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

It depends on how much you intend investing, your risk threshold, and how much passive income you desire. If you want a relatively safe investment with returns higher than that of a conventional savings account, try mutual funds/investment trusts. On a £20,000 investment, you are looking at an average of £100 steady income monthly. The more you invest, the more income you get. If you live in the North, there are a few properties being sold cheaply for cash. You can buy and give them out for rental income, a £40,000 investment buying a property should yield £200 income a month after expenses. Since you are going to be in the UK long-term, try building a good credit profile. It would help you in the future for mortgages, credit cards e.t.c.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anfieldboss: 2:44pm On May 26, 2017
claremont:

It depends on how much you intend investing, your risk threshold, and how much passive income you desire. If you want a relatively safe investment with returns higher than that of a conventional savings account, try mutual funds/investment trusts. On a £20,000 investment, you are looking at an average of £100 steady income monthly. The more you invest, the more income you get. If you live in the North, there are a few properties being sold cheaply for cash. You can buy and give them out for rental income, a £40,000 investment buying a property should yield £200 income a month after expenses. Since you are going to be in the UK long-term, try building a good credit profile. It would help you in the future for mortgages, credit cards e.t.c.

Please I'll like to know my chances of getting a graduate job after my Masters in the UK. I read somewhere that one can apply for Tier 2 visa provided one can secure a graduate job that will pay at least 23,700 GBP per annum. Because I noticed most Nigerian students return home after their masters, is it really that difficult getting a job?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 4:45pm On May 26, 2017
Anfieldboss:

Please I'll like to know my chances of getting a graduate job after my Masters in the UK. I read somewhere that one can apply for Tier 2 visa provided one can secure a graduate job that will pay at least 23,700 GBP per annum. Because I noticed most Nigerian students return home after their masters, is it really that difficult getting a job?

If you want a place where you can stay and work after graduation, it's best you study in Canada or Germany.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:37pm On May 26, 2017
HLion:
And like how much should my sponspor send per month to take care of some needs and also accomodation since i heard accomodation fee is paid weekly...

as the Royal Prince of Zamunda...May i suggest £1500
or round it up to £2000!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:49am On May 27, 2017
DisGuy:

or round it up to £2000!

Please make it £5000 cos you also need a friend, and friends are very costly in this country grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nchabuomo: 9:31pm On May 27, 2017
DisGuy:

or round it up to £2000!
At 2k per month that's 24k for 1 calendar year. Almost twice the basic UK tuition fees. This one pass Prince of Zamunda na Fresh Prince of Bel-air.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by CallmeLucy(m): 10:52am On May 29, 2017
The probability is really low, I'm not gonna lie. UK is a stupid country. Some of my guys who just finished their Masters degree. I swear they all an email from Tier 4 just as soon as they received their certificates remembering them about their stay.

In order words, if you plan is to work in the UK after your Masters, there's no point unless you already have the required papers.
Anfieldboss:

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 12:04pm On May 29, 2017
Anfieldboss:

Bro, as you have been told, try those places. UK only need your money, even your school will give you fake promises as if you will get one. Though, one of 100's student gets job.What I can only advice you is, always put your eyes on companies like network rail and bombadier, grace you may meet. I am sure these companies can sponsor your working permit. Moreso, If you have £50,000 to invest, you can convert to tier 1

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:25pm On May 29, 2017
guiddoti:
Bro, as you have been told, try those places. UK only need your money, even your school will give you fake promises as if you will get one. Though, one of 100's student gets job.What I can only advice you is, always put your eyes on companies like network rail and bombadier, grace you may meet. I am sure these companies can sponsor your working permit. Moreso, If you have £50,000 to invest, you can convert to tier 2.

You mean Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur? That's not really how it works.
You have to get a sponsorship from the university for it, then after 1 year, switch to Tier 1 Entrepreneur with the £50,000
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 11:51pm On May 29, 2017
spikesC:

You mean Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur? That's not really how it works.
You have to get a sponsorship from the university for it, then after 1 year, switch to Tier 1 Entrepreneur with the £50,000
yeah, thanks for the correction. Actually, my university was ready to sponsor her students for the scheme, but the money was very huge sum for us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.