Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809406 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:08am On May 30, 2017
guiddoti:
yeah, thanks for the correction. Actually, my university was ready to sponsor her students for the scheme, but the money was very huge sum for us.
You don't need the 50k right now. It is after the 1 or 2 years sponsorship, then when you need to switch to Tier 1 Entrepreneur.
If the business venture is lucrative, you'll definitely come up with 50k in 2 years. Especially now that a lot of investors are looking for where to throw in their money.

Also, note that the 50k include capital you've been putting into the business for that 2 years.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by samakinfol: 11:05pm On Jun 03, 2017
hello guys, please is there any professional certification one might need to take to be able to stand out while looking for part time job in the UK?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 7:33pm On Jun 04, 2017
samakinfol:
hello guys, please is there any professional certification one might need to take to be able to stand out while looking for part time job in the UK?
You may get one, though. But I don't think getting one will stand you out, because, most of their educated citizens stop at first degree or college or terminal Masters at a stretch. And again most certifications are for those who have no or little knowledge of the subject area or non degree holders. They believe company will get you trained on those certifications or you have knowledge of them at your first degree. I hope you get my point.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 12:31pm On Jun 06, 2017
Good day guys...please what is the actual amount for coventry university tution fee ..is it £11750 or £14000..Beng Mech engineering
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spacyzuma(m): 1:08pm On Jun 06, 2017
HLion:
Good day guys...please what is the actual amount for coventry university tution fee ..is it £11750 or £14000..Beng Mech engineering
You can find the information on the school's website.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 1:27pm On Jun 06, 2017
spacyzuma:
You can find the information on the school's website.
ok thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HLion(m): 1:29pm On Jun 06, 2017
please what do y'all think about this school University of West england..thinking about applying for Beng Aerospace engineering with pilot studies
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kaloma: 3:07pm On Jun 06, 2017
hello everyone in the house . I will like to know can the 20hrs work be sufficient to sustain without been sponsor as a student in the UK . i will appreciate your response.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 4:57pm On Jun 06, 2017
kaloma:
hello everyone in the house . I will like to know can the 20hrs work be sufficient to sustain without been sponsor as a student in the UK . i will appreciate your response.

Thanks
I wont tell you it will be sufficient if you cant balance your course work with this casual job. The most difficult part is, how you balance these two targets. Is it working and off class or studying and off work? Most times, the least job even require you have experience, such as cleaning job, except, you lie on your CV. Warehouse operative jobs will take your time. Even It may be difficult getting 20hrs for this role.
My advice to you, if you can endure for six months of your modules, thereafter, you can work 40hrs, even 50 -60 hr if you have the stamina.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by illusory: 11:44am On Jun 07, 2017
claremont:

It depends on how much you intend investing, your risk threshold, and how much passive income you desire. If you want a relatively safe investment with returns higher than that of a conventional savings account, try mutual funds/investment trusts. On a £20,000 investment, you are looking at an average of £100 steady income monthly. The more you invest, the more income you get. If you live in the North, there are a few properties being sold cheaply for cash. You can buy and give them out for rental income, a £40,000 investment buying a property should yield £200 income a month after expenses. Since you are going to be in the UK long-term, try building a good credit profile. It would help you in the future for mortgages, credit cards e.t.c.

Thanks a lot Claremont.

From my calculations, that's about 6% per annum. In comparison, 364 days treasury bills in Nigeria right now is about 18% per annum and is closer to 20-22% actual yield which is what I've been doing in the past. Wouldn't it be more beneficial then to send money back to naija to invest then? What is the benefit of investing here. I want to be able to make meaningful comparison with credible data so those with experience pls be patient and help out. Thanks.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by illusory: 11:56am On Jun 07, 2017
Anfieldboss:

Please I'll like to know my chances of getting a graduate job after my Masters in the UK. I read somewhere that one can apply for Tier 2 visa provided one can secure a graduate job that will pay at least 23,700 GBP per annum. Because I noticed most Nigerian students return home after their masters, is it really that difficult getting a job?

For the Tier 2 visa which you are asking about specifically , https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/eligibility says, "You’ll usually need to be paid at least £30,000 per year or the ‘appropriate rate’ for the job you’re offered - whichever is higher. Check the appropriate rate for the job you’ve been offered.

Check the guidance for situations when you can be paid less - for example if:

your certificate of sponsorship was assigned to you before 24 November 2016
you’ll work as a medical radiographer, nurse, paramedic or secondary school teacher in some subjects
you’ll work as a pre-registration nurse or midwife."
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 1:24pm On Jun 07, 2017
illusory:

Thanks a lot Claremont.

From my calculations, that's about 6% per annum. In comparison, 364 days treasury bills in Nigeria right now is about 18% per annum and is closer to 20-22% actual yield which is what I've been doing in the past. Wouldn't it be more beneficial then to send money back to naija to invest then? What is the benefit of investing here. I want to be able to make meaningful comparison with credible data so those with experience pls be patient and help out. Thanks.

18% per annum is much better than you would get in the UK. So, I guess it's more beneficial for you to invest in Nigeria rather than in the UK.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by edirex: 11:54am On Jun 12, 2017
Hello House,

I just got admitted into Bournemouth University UK, Can i get anyone in the house who has got information about bournemouth and the University cos i barely know nothing about the place and the school.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 1:55pm On Jun 12, 2017
edirex:
Hello House,

I just got admitted into Bournemouth University UK, Can i get anyone in the house who has got information about bournemouth and the University cos i barely know nothing about the place and the school.

Thanks
Why would you apply to a school without knowing anything about the school and town?
Your first point of call will be your university website which will have information for international students. After that you can now search online for more information before you ask specific questions.
Before I arrived for my masters, I knew how to get to my department from the airport. I missed the student pick up and I was able to find my way/bearing using the street signs and building which I had looked online several times using google maps street view. It was as if I had been there before.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by edirex: 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
dustydee:

Why would you apply to a school without knowing anything about the school and town?
Your first point of call will be your university website which will have information for international students. After that you can now search online for more information before you ask specific questions.
Before I arrived for my masters, I knew how to get to my department from the airport. I missed the student pick up and I was able to find my way/bearing using the street signs and building which I had looked online several times using google maps street view. It was as if I had been there before.

Thanks, lemme rephrase my question. Not like i don't know abt the school. Just thought someone in the school that could assist clear some doubts and possible make my arrival easier.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 3:34pm On Jun 12, 2017
edirex:

Thanks, lemme rephrase my question. Not like i don't know abt the school. Just thought someone in the school that could assist clear some doubts and possible make my arrival easier.
Ok, contact the student support center of your school. They may arrange airport pick up for you and give you all the information you need. Ask them if they can arrange a pick up at the airport as that will save you some money. If they can't, they can direct you on the best way to get to the school. I am surprised they are not supporting you already given that you have accepted their offer (I am assuming you have paid your deposit).
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 8:04pm On Jun 13, 2017
dustydee:

You are very correct on this.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chupcake(m): 11:09am On Jun 14, 2017
Mehn, I haven't been on here for ages now. I remember when i practically lived on this website. Coming to the end of my Masters Degree now and it has been a very fun ride. I've always wanted to give back so if anyone has got any questions at all, please ask and i will do my best to answer. Even better if the question is relating to, or about Anglia Ruskin University or the city Cambridge. Questions about work, the school, the town, best place to get cheap accommodation, nightlife(don't know much about that one) and basically anything sha.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by oluwatunmise02: 12:31am On Jun 24, 2017
Hello guys. please is it possible to get a scholarship that will cover most of living expenses plus tuition fee for UK university?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by illusory: 9:38am On Jun 26, 2017
oluwatunmise02:
Hello guys. please is it possible to get a scholarship that will cover most of living expenses plus tuition fee for UK university?

Yes. if you have a 2.1 or 1st class, commonwealth shared scholarships is probably the best route though only for MSc. For PhD and otherwise, if its not commonwealth scholarship, it will depend on the course and the school, so you'd have to search for what you are looking for specifically.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 10:19pm On Aug 15, 2017
Hi all,

Hope everyone is succeeding in there endeavour.

My question is, if one is on a Pbs visa (eg tier4) and has paid for ihS for the duration of the visa, what happens if the person is changing to another PBS visa (eg tier 1) while the tier 4 is still valid for up to three years.

Does the person need to pay for another IHS fee?

Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by captainhoo: 11:21pm On Aug 17, 2017
Hello House.Anyone in Sheffield hallam or Sheffield uni or environs,please indicate so I can send a pm.Need your help pls
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by captainhoo: 8:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
captainhoo:
Hello House.Anyone in Sheffield hallam or Sheffield uni or environs,please indicate so I can send a pm.Need your help pls
Any one?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 26, 2017
captainhoo:

Any one?

Hi I am in Leeds close to Sheffield. Are you coming to Sheffield. PM me. Thank u.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by omolakesi: 6:49pm On Sep 06, 2017
chupcake:
Mehn, I haven't been on here for ages now. I remember when i practically lived on this website. Coming to the end of my Masters Degree now and it has been a very fun ride. I've always wanted to give back so if anyone has got any questions at all, please ask and i will do my best to answer. Even better if the question is relating to, or about Anglia Ruskin University or the city Cambridge. Questions about work, the school, the town, best place to get cheap accommodation, nightlife(don't know much about that one) and basically anything sha.

Hi, I am going to ARU for MSc in Town Planning, I will be in Chelmsford. Please I would like to know how easy it is to get a Part-Time Job? I will also like to know the cheapest way to move around.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by adebee16: 8:30pm On Sep 19, 2017
Hello everyone,
I need help from anyone in University of Exeter. My friend is currently airbound and she got disappointed by a church member she had planned to stay with for a few days while searching for her own accommodation. She was told that they could no longer accomodate her while she was boarding at the airport. It's so last minute and she didn't go with enough funds for hotel stay. Because it wasn't the plan at all. PLEASE if anyone can help or has any helpful info. We are super worried she'll be stranded. Thank you in anticipation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:18am On Sep 20, 2017
adebee16:
Hello everyone,
I need help from anyone in University of Exeter. My friend is currently airbound and she got disappointed by a church member she had planned to stay with for a few days while searching for her own accommodation. She was told that they could no longer accomodate her while she was boarding at the airport. It's so last minute and she didn't go with enough funds for hotel stay. Because it wasn't the plan at all. PLEASE if anyone can help or has any helpful info. We are super worried she'll be stranded. Thank you in anticipation

Smh
Please tell her to contact the school as soon as she lands

She went with funds for her own accommodation right?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by adebee16: 8:27am On Sep 20, 2017
DisGuy:

Smh
Please tell her to contact the school as soon as she lands

She went with funds for her own accommodation right?

Ok. Thanks. Yes she did
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 10:39pm On Sep 20, 2017

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 10:47pm On Sep 20, 2017
You can still survive BP if you have more times for your visa expiration. Check out the link:
To the newest students---Don't wait till you finish your program before searching for jobs. Start immediately you settle down. I am not talking of casual jobs.

http://www.bp.com/en/global/bp-careers/students-and-graduates/locations/united-kingdom.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=LinkedIn&utm_campaign=StudentsAndGrads&utm_content=UK&utm_term=231

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Ericsunday619: 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2017
please urgent help. I want to study bachelor's in nursing. do United Kingdom university accept IELTS? it's general IELTS not British IELTS. justwise please contribute. thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.