Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809673 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 11:13am On Aug 25, 2014
justwise:

Posh area and the uni ranking increases the rent price for students but pay for one semester and when you get there and get to know the city you will find cheaper accommodations.

Thanks much my boss. I'll do exactly as you've suggested. Na me carry myself go find trouble with going for highly ranked Uni Lol.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 11:40am On Aug 25, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Thanks much my boss. I'll do exactly as you've suggested. Na me carry myself go find trouble with going for highly ranked Uni Lol.

No worry Bro....na just 11 months....you go soon begin dey enjoy....
Anybody dey enter carnival today? grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 11:54am On Aug 25, 2014
735i:

I wan come, but the weather isn't nice at all.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2014
735i:

Amen bro! The end go surely justify the means grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2014
LabourParty:

I wan come, but the weather isn't nice at all.

Bro...enter the area joor...wear hoodie come...people nor even wear cloth sef... The groove go drive away the cold wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2014
735i:

Bro...enter the area joor...wear hoodie come...people nor even wear cloth sef... The groove go drive away the cold wink

Too much waka!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 1:11pm On Aug 25, 2014
worry359:
Your school is just outsite the main city centre (10 minutes walk)
Below are some bus maps to help you see where you can look for accomodation.
Aston area is good for students but many are at another university.
Lots of cheaper housing on bus routes but most will only advertise locally.
You may need to book hotel while you look for somwhere suitable.
Many, many shops selling african and indian supplies nearby.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/bustravel

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.aspx?lID=1734&sID=97
On this one your school in in square D7, you need to be looking at places outside the centre for accomodation.

BOsses all am looking for is a studio flat because my wife will be coming to join me there in October,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 2:10pm On Aug 25, 2014
I think I know a good site that can sort you out on proper accomodation, zoopla.co.uk. I think they showcase listings from different agencies. N.B: Its best to find accomodation close to your school, as you would be spending most of your time there. So the maps function and your uni post codes should come in handy.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:11pm On Aug 25, 2014
Cavenchy: I think I know a good site that can sort you out on proper accomodation, zoopla.co.uk. I think they showcase listings from different agencies. N.B: Its best to find accomodation close to your school, as you would be spending most of your time there. So the maps function and your uni post codes should come in handy.

Agency charge will increase the total rent price
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shakibaby: 2:13pm On Aug 25, 2014
Is there anyone going to University of Dundee??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 2:26pm On Aug 25, 2014
justwise:

Agency charge will increase the total rent price

True that, but most viewings are organised by agents anyways, the To Let signboards are put up by agents. Is there any other way for someone who isn't already in the Uk to get off campus housing online without going through one of them? I just think its safer than paying money to some complete stranger who puts pictures of his aunts bedroom on the internet. Zoopla provides a list of agency lettings so people could choose to visit the actual agents or not. I don't think they(Zoopla) are agents themselves
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:38pm On Aug 25, 2014
Cavenchy:

True that, but most viewings are organised by agents anyways, the To Let signboards are put up by agents. Is there any other way for someone who isn't already in the Uk to get off campus housing online without going through one of them? I just think its safer than paying money to some complete stranger who puts pictures of his aunts bedroom on the internet. Zoopla provides a list of agency lettings so people could choose to visit the actual agents or not. I don't think they(Zoopla) are agents themselves

Its not a good idea to make deposit for a room you haven't seen, no matter who you are dealing with. You can use gumtree, roomshare, roomate...to search then make an appoitment for viewing before making deposit paying for it.

Come to the UK 4-5 days before course start date, you will see rooms advertised on your school noticeboard by students or private landlord registered with the school. Rooms are also advertised on shop windows around the uni, many options available.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 2:57pm On Aug 25, 2014
One can scout for houses from naija if you're not physically present here, make a list of your ideal choice(s) and arrange a viewing, when you see, you like, you read terms of agreement, you consent, you pay, you move in. Some houses require a three months contract. So if you feel you are running out of time and can manage one for the time being, you move in there while searching for another. Because the last thing a student want is to be unsettled in the first weeks of resumption. Ask any new and past students who received their visas late about their experiences.
Also, schools do some orientation week were u meet people and if you have a strong naija community in ur uni, you can also inquire from them bout how to go about stuffs there. Be prepared to hear the "house is difficult here", or the references to expensive places from them, as many people like to make challenging things seem extremely impossible, but don't be discouraged. There're still some nice people who'll help you out. All the best to newbies on the house hunt.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 3:06pm On Aug 25, 2014
justwise:

Its not a good idea to make deposit for a room you haven't seen, no matter who you are dealing with. You can use gumtree, roomshare, roomate...to search then make an appoitment for viewing before making deposit paying for it.

Come to the UK 4-5 days before course start date, you will see rooms advertised on your school noticeboard by students or private landlord registered with the school. Rooms are also advertised on shop windows around the uni, many options available.

I do not in anyway condone paying money to anyone prior to viewing properties. I only stated options for those who might want to use the internet to view houses while still in Nigeria. Pending when they eventually arrive the Uk to view it physically and make a decision. It all depends on personal choice. I personally prefer to deal with the landlord(and I'm sure he is) or a certified agency than anyone who is just claiming to have an available house, drug dealers could get on gumtree and the likes 'needing a housemate'and you'll end up having junkies in the next room cos they are the landlord n housemates too. So every option has its merits and dangers. Like I stated, its all personal choice, I just gave an additional option not asking them to ignore the others already given.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 5:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
A VERY important thing for people to think about when renting a room or property from afar is Religion!
In the U.K. many areas in big towns like Birmingham and Manchester have large populations of people with different beliefs.
For example it might be difficult for a staunch Christian person to find that they are living in a Muslim house.
Or a Muslim might find problems in a Hindu house. (These are just examples!)
This is just one reason why it is best to inspect the property in person.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2014
Lets go to Mobile sad

Any suggestion?

I would like unlimited data or least 4GB
Any amount of text
500 minutes or more

But my main interest is the data

Sim only or s4 with great price grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 6:06pm On Aug 25, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Too much waka!!!

grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 6:13pm On Aug 25, 2014
spikesC: Lets go to Mobile sad

Any suggestion?

Any amount of text
500 minutes or more

If data is your major concern.....
Check Vectone mobile....there's a deal for 3GB data and 500 minutes Naija or UK for 10 quid
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 6:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
worry359: A VERY important thing for people to think about when renting a room or property from afar is Religion!
In the U.K. many areas in big towns like Birmingham and Manchester have large populations of people with different beliefs.
For example it might be difficult for a staunch Christian person to find that they are living in a Muslim house.
Or a Muslim might find problems in a Hindu house. (These are just examples!)
This is just one reason why it is best to inspect the property in person.

am beginning to get worried bout this Birmingham thing because all these religious issue and again pls kindly advise me on where to get a studio flat that will be a walking distance to my school
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 7:21pm On Aug 25, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

am beginning to get worried bout this Birmingham thing because all these religious issue and again pls kindly advise me on where to get a studio flat that will be a walking distance to my school

First you must be patient!
It is very unlikely that you will sit in Nigeria and find accomodation that you like in Birmingham!
The city is too big and complicated.
Second the religion issue is to inform you of the difficulty of trying to find somewhere so far away.

I have told you that people do not live in the city centre! you will need to travel at lease some distance on public transport.
You should book a hotel to come to and then look round as your requirements are not simple.

If you are too scared or proud to use busses then stay back at home!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

spikesC: Lets go to Mobile sad
Any suggestion?
Any amount of text
500 minutes or more
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 7:38pm On Aug 25, 2014
worry359:

First you must be patient!
It is very unlikely that you will sit in Nigeria and find accomodation that you like in Birmingham!
The city is too big and complicated.
Second the religion issue is to inform you of the difficulty of trying to find somewhere so far away.

I have told you that people do not live in the city centre! you will need to travel at lease some distance on public transport.
You should book a hotel to come to and then look round as your requirements are not simple.

If you are too scared or proud to use busses then stay back at home!
na wa o,why did you use the word proud? you need to take easy on people here because am just here asking for opinion about the closest place to city center where someone can get better accommodation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Idowuogbo(f): 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
spikesC:

oga me, how ur concubines
Enugu boi don cross border eeee.... grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:11pm On Aug 25, 2014
735i:

If data is your major concern.....
Check Vectone mobile....there's a deal for 3GB data and 500 minutes Naija or UK for 10 quid

It's not a contract, they can even cancel the promo anytime but it's a good deal though.

adaobi123: http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

Thanks. Seen that one before but just checking my options
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:14pm On Aug 25, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Enugu boi don cross border eeee.... grin grin

chai, this one wey old woman remember me today grin

Watch out how fellow amebo old women will follow her to this thread like flies undecided tongue

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Idowuogbo(f): 8:16pm On Aug 25, 2014
spikesC:

chai, this one wey old woman remember me today grin

Watch out how fellow amebo old women will follow her to this thread like flies undecided tongue
Smh
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:44am On Aug 26, 2014
Timoa: Hello everyone, justwise well done for always being sensible and thorough with your questions and inputs. I'm a silent fan of yours.

A lot of people have given very sound advise here already...I would like to add mine however brief advise from experience.

My 1kobo advise for everyone intending to study in the Uk(I suppose those currently studying can benefit as well)..The UK isn't as easy as it used to be up till 2005ish part time jobs are harder to find. People have given very good advice about learning a trade before coming, that will help you go a long way. Plus you find that it is only hard for Nigerians with one mind set I.e. no skills at all, how would you find a job? When you will be competing for the same jobs with other fellow students in that environment.

Please choose your school wisely: you know your budget, cut your coat accordingly. Research the city or town(s)standard of living before you make your choice (look at job sites for part time jobs availability, google flatshare or houseshare prices in the area,ask people who have or are studying there. I see some people putting very unrealistic rent prices up, you will fall into that bracket if you don't plan your place of study well.

A clever argument will be; what if only that university offers my program? I would answer; in this present day for every expensive university that offer special programs there are at least 3 universities that will offer you a very similar program at a reduced cost, it does not in anyway mean you will not succeed in your chosen career, it just means you MIGHT and NOT necessarily! Go a slightly longer route e.g. I wanted to study Bsc Aviation Management (which by the way at the time I was choosing my university in 1999 only Cranfield Uni was the only renowned institution in the UK for aviation management) it was out of reach for me as the fees was very high then, I ended up doing a BA in Business Management at Edinburgh business school,in 2005 I did a topup BSc (Hons) Aviation Management degree at Loughborough Uni, meanwhile between 2003 to 2005 With my business management degree i still worked with a private jet and helicopter hire firm on two Caribbean island,that was purely from networking, the interpersonal skills I was compelled to acquired at Uni because Edinburgh Uni had very few african students then I had to blend in and boy! did I enjoy every minute of it...Treat every experience as a learning curve that's the only way you will enjoy and learn from them.

Today, there are at least 8 universities that offer the program, the UK is ever evolving.

There are loads of Universities in the UK, most very good,some average. Nothing good comes without effort in life someway somehow you pay the price. Your success depends 100% on You. UK universities give you a platform to set yourself up for life, you have to be proactive to reap the rewards:

Be interpersonal, people skills is probably the most important skill you need to learn, try and make friends (african,european,english,caribbean etc)..Join your student union or an extra curricula group there will be loads to choose from......your lecturers will be extremely important to you if you want to succeed in your studies and also if you want advise on which career path way to go, most of them are ex industry expats, they can help you later on. Go out of your way to pally them up, it's very simple, they are there for you and willing to help.

Understand yourself: most Nigerians have learning difficulties because of the linear learning approach we had/have at school(s); all UK universities have learning style test (its free) which will help discover the best way you learn. The universities have so many resources available if you choose to go the extra mile (go for classes,seminars,field trips,study groups, career weeks:mock interview to help learn how to come across well in an interview and build confidence etc. Like I mentioned earlier the university have a pool of resources for students to seek help, someone mentioned hardship fund, True! there is that.There is also guidance counselling for students struggling with their academics. IT,Maths,presentation help seminars etc..

I might sound like a broken record but your success as a student in the UK depends on how proactive you really are with your School. I know a very good number of people that went to cheap universities (cheap in relative terms to so called Top universities) most of these peopleo are offered the best paying jobs both contract jobs, permanent roles and even graduated placements with sound establishments in the Uk, Europe,Africa etc. Theses people worked at it added value to themselves whilst at Uni, they utilised their UK education well by using the resources available to them at their so called cheap universities.

I think if you are really struggling to learn a certain degree or masters then that program isn't for you because the UK education system is built in such a way that you actually understand what you learn very quickly.

Most of us Nigerians start by not even knowing ourselves we have been brain washes with tons of notions of what we can or can't do, instead of trying to criticise each other with limits, lets improve ourselves, you will actually shock yourself, become in awe of yourself then begin to respect and love yourself better.

That's my 1kobo advise. Thank you.

Ps: Try Scottish Universities, quality standard of living in Scotland at relatively low cost...anyone that went to school or live and work in Scotland can confirm that.

Quoting this post for personal reference. Thanks

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 9:32am On Aug 27, 2014
13 days remaining...chai! the days are becoming longer and longer grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mhoreh: 2:48pm On Aug 27, 2014
chivitech:

lol.. if you call £85 a week daylight robbery, what will you call £530 a month which is what i am going to be paying at Oxford sad cry

oga chivitech dats why it is oxford na, convenant university yato si osun state university ke smiley

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chivitech: 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
mhoreh:

oga chivitech dats why it is oxford na, convenant university yato si osun state university ke smiley

lol. na wa for you o. its true sha,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 9:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
spikesC: i don dump emirates ooo
i booked royal air maroc for friday, 1 stop at cassablanca, just 4 hours of waiting and 20k plus cheaper than emirates. Na so body dey sweet me

Who want go waste 8hrs fot dubai

Ehen bro please I'd like to know your experience with royal air maroc. How was it? Any wahala at all? Would you recommend them for those of us coming next month? A honest review from you will be most helpful & appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Ehen bro please I'd like to know your experience with royal air maroc. How was it? Any wahala at all? Would you recommend them for those of us coming next month? A honest review from you will be most helpful & appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation!

Quite good.
They left for Casablanca 10 minutes before take off and reached 20 minutes before arrival time.
They left for Heathrow 15 minutes past departure time and reached 5 minutes before arrival time.

They served tea/coffee from Nigeria to casablanca embarassed
And one kind poison from Casablanca to Heathrow angry
I didn't even dare to eat the food served grin
Though took a can of coke and one kinda kpuff from Casablanca to Heathrow

You'll not find good food in Casablanca, so you better fill up in Nigeria.
The stores that sell edible snacks wey fit hold belle doesn't accept payment cards and they spend Euro

The air hostesses do not speak English, atleast not very well, and ignorantly, they expect you to understand Arabic.
But they have beautiful legs wink

I slept through out the whole flights' duration though.

Remember to have something for your ears.
They will circle Heathrow for around 15 minutes and you'll wish the pilot would just nose dive the damn plane angry

Chewing gum didn't work for me and swallowing saliva made the pain worse.
Stroking the back of my ear actually reduced it very well. My brother said you should get ear muffs to put into your ear

Very close to Heathrow, they would display a blue card whilst speaking Arabic angry
Just take the damn card from them if you are on Tier-4 visa, cos you would need to fill it and submit at POE
But if you missed it, don't worry, they would give it to you at POE.
Have your CAS letter handy, and ofcourse, your passport.
At POE while submitting those, they would ask what you came to do in the UK (Yeah i know, it's silly)
The name of your school and the address of your campus.

If someone would pick you up at Heathrow, you better load credit on your phone to call them.
The free wifi at Heathrow didn't work.
There is also charging spots on the building pillars, so you should have your charger close in case your phone is down.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.