Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809553 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 7:21am On Aug 31, 2014
ochukoccna:
Thanks Don wink
How body?
Seems the rate is finally going south (downward) shocked shocked
After I don nearly finish my program and am now rounding up angry angry
God punish devil grin grin

I don't know about card linking cos I did not request for, nor do it
But what I do know was the card was issued on my savings account long ago
I opened a current account quite later on and declined a fresh card issue ( not that they'll issue another Naira Mastercard though or do they)
Before I left Naija, all my transactions ran through my savings account cos the current account was opened mainly for dividend payments
But found when I tried to withdraw with the card here last October, the ATM kept saying insufficient fund
I was almost bunkers knowing I had more than enough funds in my savings account
Only to call GTConnect and be told the card now linked to my current account as that is their standard practice embarassed embarassed
Also that I should transfer funds from the savings to the current account so as to make withdrawals here
Even it was over the phone they helped me open and I received my Internet Banking details as I told them I didn't activate Internet banking before I left
Biko, how is it that your card is not linked to your current account?

The body is doing fine inside the cloth o cheesy thank God.
I trust you're good too and your programme is going great.

When I opened my Current account some years ago, there was an option of 'card linking' on the application form. I had the choice of allowing them to link my card with the new account or not. I chose not to, and I also told them not to issue me a separate card. I use internet banking to control the account.

I'm guessing maybe the card linking is now automatic since you recently opened the current account or perhaps, you didn't notice the option while filling out the form.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 1:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
Happy Sunday my oga's in the house,kindly advise me if its okay to stay where its 45mins by bus to my school? please because i have no experience
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2014
Bambamzzzz: Happy Sunday my oga's in the house,kindly advise me if its okay to stay where its 45mins by bus to my school? please because i have no experience

Not a good idea, it will cost you a lot of money at the end and you are more likely to miss lectures because of traffic especially morning lectures.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2014
Bambamzzzz: Happy Sunday my oga's in the house,kindly advise me if its okay to stay where its 45mins by bus to my school? please because i have no experience

Not at all. I will always stay in a hotel or B&B for couple days when I arrive, and proactively hunt for nearby accomodations. Some landlords with accomodations nearby Unis mostly use local estate agents to advertise their property. At most, I may stay about 15 mins walk away from where you take lectures. Some Unis have good Uni bus system for such student about 15 mins away...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 3:12pm On Aug 31, 2014
peteafrik88:

Not at all. I will always stay in a hotel or B&B for couple days when I arrive, and proactively hunt for nearby accomodations. Some landlords with accomodations nearby Unis mostly use local estate agents to advertise their property. At most, I may stay about 15 mins walk away from where you take lectures. Some Unis have good Uni bus system for such student about 15 mins away...

WOW.because i wanted to get a studio apartment before when i get to Birmingham because my wife will be coming next month to join me and after checking online then i get to know that one bedroom flat price mostly are the same price with studio.
I just need good advice about all these things because i dont wanna do something that will regret at the end

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cookies: 8:38pm On Aug 31, 2014
Hello house, please which bank in the Uk will you advice me as a student to open an account with?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 3:36am On Sep 01, 2014
cookies: Hello house, please which bank in the Uk will you advice me as a student to open an account with?
Based on personal experience, Lloyds cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 3:43am On Sep 01, 2014
45 mins is too FAR embarassed embarassed
BTW, you've been given good advice

@ Don, thanks for asking after my welfare
No its not about any form linking jo! tongue
Card wey I still take pay for air ticket from my savings account a day before departure undecided
Only to enter UK see say the same card no gree comot chedahs again shocked shocked
Abegi!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 6:56am On Sep 01, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

WOW.because i wanted to get a studio apartment before when i get to Birmingham because my wife will be coming next month to join me and after checking online then i get to know that one bedroom flat price mostly are the same price with studio.
I just need good advice about all these things because i dont wanna do something that will regret at the end

We have told you but to repeat!
Get hotel room for 1 or 2 weeks when you arrive.
Talk to people at university, talk to students union, look around local shops.
Then you will find suitable accomodation.
There is plenty there but if you rush to book something from Nigeria you can burn your fingers.
(Also I think that 45 min is too far, you can do better than that!)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 11:37am On Sep 01, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

Most 1-bedroom are almost same prize as studio, the difference I have noticed is that you may end up sharing a kitchen or bathroom with other tenants. But a studio gives you all in 1 package with no sharing at all, little or cramped space; but a 1-bedroom is more spacious. If you dont mind any of these things, you can choose which ever 1 that suits you.
As @ worry359 said in his last post, I did prefer a B&B which is more cheaper than a hotel. You can now stay there long enough to look for accomodation. I suggest when you arrive Birms, just ask a taxi driver to take you to a cheap B&B in town; which they will gladly do. Just to also mention, I always suggest you try and arrive early in the day preferably in the morning, as this can give you some extra time to sort a lot of things out, thats if you get very proactive and hardworking. Some ppl are lucky just like in my case, you may even find a suitable accomodation before the end of the day and start making arrangement asap. All I may suggest, gather info on agents, landlords etc; on your arrival you can start calling for viewing asap. If you are lucky, you may end up staying in a hotel or B&B for just 1 or 2 nights. Lots of savings, mate.
When I arrived Portsmouth for the first time, I was able to secure accomodation same day, paid and moved into it in 3 days time. I didnt have to stay in a hotel as I had someone in London.
Good luck to you....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
worry359:

We have told you but to repeat!
Get hotel room for 1 or 2 weeks when you arrive.
Talk to people at university, talk to students union, look around local shops.
Then you will find suitable accomodation.
There is plenty there but if you rush to book something from Nigeria you can burn your fingers.
(Also I think that 45 min is too far, you can do better than that!)

@ pete, how body?
Been a while
Hope you dey kampe wink wink

@ thread, it beats me hollow why incoming Nigerian students think they can just waltz into UK and pick up accommodation without wanting to shell out on hotels prior to picking up the accommodation embarassed embarassed
If you have 'reliable' people in the UK, it helps out yet the UK is a different kettle of fish to Naija
But if not, book a hotel or bed and breakfast to bed and then go view all those accommodation you have been viewing using the Internet
The UK is quite organized and you might even get something better than your 'online' accommodation viewed portfolios undecided
Don't be stingy, spend a little money on hotels/bed and breakfast outlets for the first few days
So you don't regret whatever accommodation you choose afterwards as tenancy contracts/agreements are quite binding here cool cool

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 3:35pm On Sep 01, 2014
ochukoccna:
Based on personal experience, Lloyds cool cool

No offence sir, God forbid me with Lloyds in my next life. Though I have an account with them, BARCLAYS is still the best.
@Cookies; You will defo thank me later if you use Barclays.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 3:42pm On Sep 01, 2014
ochukoccna:

@ pete, how body?
Been a while
Hope you dey kampe wink wink

@ thread, it beats me hollow why incoming Nigerian students think they can just waltz into UK and pick up accommodation without wanting to shell out on hotels prior to picking up the accommodation embarassed embarassed
If you have 'reliable' people in the UK, it helps out yet the UK is a different kettle of fish to Naija
But if not, book a hotel or bed and breakfast to bed and then go view all those accommodation you have been viewing using the Internet
The UK is quite organized and you might even get something better than your 'online' accommodation viewed portfolios undecided
Don't be stingy, spend a little money on hotels/bed and breakfast outlets for the first few days
So you don't regret whatever accommodation you choose afterwards as tenancy contracts/agreements are quite binding here cool cool

Chief Sir, bosy is fine, soul & mind is also fine. Thank you. Hope you are alright too? Been a while cos I am always on the sideline in this forum & listening.I have also been trying hard to make so much dent on my CV with every opportunity wey I see for the sake of greaduate roles.

@ Bambamzzzz: We all have summarised it all, wetin remain na for you to put it into practice. Good luck.

Cheers!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
peteafrik88:

No offence sir, God forbid me with Lloyds in my next life. Though I have an account with them, BARCLAYS is still the best.

Seems people despise Lloyds.

Which account do you have with barclays?
Normal current account or student current account?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Idowuogbo(f): 3:46pm On Sep 01, 2014
cookies: Hello house, please which bank in the Uk will you advice me as a student to open an account with?
barclays

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:52pm On Sep 01, 2014
spikesC:

Go for that, Barclay's bank is far better than other bunch. Would have recommended HSBC but those muppets sent my bank statement to an address in Nigeria i used years ago when i opened the account and disregard my UK address.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 4:09pm On Sep 01, 2014
spikesC:

STUDENT CURRENT ACCOUNT
Llyods and their banking policies is so confusing. They sometimes do things that are annoying like questioning the source of your funds, even when they know you are an international student. They may also go ahead and close your account if no proper explanation is given as they did to a mate... Barclays all the way.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 4:50pm On Sep 01, 2014
@ Justwise, I concur with you on the sending of bank statements to one's address back in your country of origin
Why they do that, I have no idea undecided
That been said, HSBC told me last year they don't do Nigerian student accounts again embarassed embarassed

peteafrik88:

Well I think everyone has their different experiences with this banks as I jettisoned Barclays for Lloyds due to some abracadabra they pulled on my account
A course-mate had the most bitter experience with them and switched to TSB
Story goes thus, he discovered his account was credited with 2,000 quid
Since he wasn't expecting this sudden cash inflows, he reported the matter only for them to suspend his account for close to 5 months in the name of investigation embarassed embarassed
Dude was living from hand to mouth all this time and burrowing money from friends along with loan sharks cos even for the little hustle he was pushing here, the employment agency couldn't pay him cos his account was locked down
Trying to open accounts with other banks threw up his pending case with Barclays as a red flag undecided undecided
Eventually the SUG had to take up his case with them with Barclays paying some compensation for his ordeal
Pray what kind of RESPONSIBLE institution would lock down a foreign student's account for that amount of time without access to his funds angry angry
And even when the student was the one to alert you to suspicious activity on his account? sad sad
Yes do your investigations but be prompt about it cos the UK is so unforgiving when the time comes for one to pay his bills
Na that time you go know say people dey sweat in sub zero temperatures grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 4:52pm On Sep 01, 2014

In my own personal bias, I'll Suggest LLoyds. Reason being that they gave me a bountiful overdraft which neither HSBC or Barclays gamme when I needed something even lesser as a student then (I still have the facility till date). I think that was helpful against those annoying unplanned overdrafts do I'll recommend them.
Next I'll go for Barclays. HSBC would hav bin ok but had problems assessing my funds one period. They claimed it's their security checks. I was furious with them but hey, they were doing their job. Lol. Then the rest of the banks.
HTH
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 4:58pm On Sep 01, 2014
ochukoccna: @ Justwise, I concur with you on the sending of bank statements to one's address back in your country of origin
Why they do that, I have no idea undecided
That been said, HSBC told me last year they don't do Nigerian student accounts again embarassed embarassed

Well I think everyone has their different experiences with this banks as I jettisoned Barclays for Lloyds due to some abracadabra they pulled on my account
A course-mate had the most bitter experience with them and switched to TSB
Story goes thus, he discovered his account was credited with 2,000 quid
Since he wasn't expecting this sudden cash inflows, he reported the matter only for them to suspend his account for close to 5 months in the name of investigation embarassed embarassed
Dude was living from hand to mouth all this time and burrowing money from friends along with loan sharks cos even for the little hustle he was pushing here, the employment agency couldn't pay him cos his account was locked down
Trying to open accounts with other banks threw up his pending case with Lloyds as a red flag undecided undecided
Eventually the SUG had to take up his case with them with Barclays paying some compensation for his ordeal
Pray what kind of RESPONSIBLE institution would lock down a foreign student's account for that amount of time without access to his funds angry angry
And even when the student was the one to alert you to suspicious activity on his account? sad sad
Yes do your investigations but be prompt about it cos the UK is so unforgiving when the time comes for one to pay his bills
Na that time you go know say people dey sweat in sub zero temperatures grin grin

Wow! Similar thing happened to me. I then blamed myself for alerting them. Only to find that it was someone I know who sent me sum suprise funds. Was lucky I could fall back to lloyds while they carried out their investigation even after I told dem I now know the sender. Lol.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 5:50pm On Sep 01, 2014
Lloyds all the way.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cookies: 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2014
Thanks guys
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:39pm On Sep 01, 2014
paradisewoods:

Emirate is the cheapest. 95k, Thats the one I will be booking cos I am heading to Sunderland.
www.travelstart.com.ng

SpikeC isn't air maroc cheaper?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

Depends; As at when i booked, Air maroc was the cheapest
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
spikesC:

Depends; As at when i booked, Air maroc was the cheapest
$483 abi?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

For one way tickets, Emirates is about the cheapest
But their stopover na die embarassed embarassed
Maroc Air (return tickets) are cheap if you book early enough though I use KLM or Air France cool cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:48pm On Sep 01, 2014
GeneralShepherd:
$483 abi?

Paid in Naira: 253,912
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nicur: 9:20pm On Sep 01, 2014
ochukoccna:
One way cheapest ticket is Emirates but hope you like long stopovers cool cool
Return ticket cheapest is KLM or Air France cheesy cheesy
wow thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 10:45pm On Sep 01, 2014
spikesC:

Paid in Naira: 253,912

Huh..dats not cheap nahhh
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:57am On Sep 02, 2014
kingsilly:

Huh..dats not cheap nahhh
That was the cheapest return ticket as at then
Emirates was 270k
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by koks2000: 10:04am On Sep 02, 2014
I got return ticket for 170000 naira.Lufthansa airline with just one hour wait.
spikesC:
That was the cheapest return ticket as at then
Emirates was 270k
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by laoma4u: 1:27pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tolly12: Is anyone heading to University of Aberdeen?

ill be heading to aberdeen... sent u a pm. lets chat

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.