Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,761 members, 7,802,322 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (808854 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 12:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Oh okay make sense, hope say na two bedroom studio you get cos if I come I need to lounge grin. I dey Carshalton, I dey even plan go one friend event for central London today today so, somewhere around Farringdon station. Which side you dey we fit block oo

Errrrm..me no too sabi road ooo...d only busy place around me I know na CANADA WATERS..from there na I dey take underground train to Victoria coach station..I no wan loss..spikec Oya navigate me drom canda waters to Hudson side grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by daintydee: 3:33pm On Sep 27, 2014
Please is it worth paying $150 to $220 for excess luggage.....or do I just drop the foodstuff and get them over there with that money.
Please I need a reply ASAP
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by medman007(m): 4:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
daintydee: Please is it worth paying $150 to $220 for excess luggage.....or do I just drop the foodstuff and get them over there with that money.

Wch airline are you flying? How many/much luggage is allowed pls. just asking tho.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 5:01pm On Sep 27, 2014
www.tfl.gov.uk find your way around london

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
daintydee: Please is it worth paying $150 to $220 for excess luggage.....or do I just drop the foodstuff and get them over there with that money.

not a big fan of carrying so much foodstuff around most especially if you're going to London or another major city in the UK

you will get everything you want in London... drop the extra foodstuff and enjoy your journey, dragging heavy luggage after intercontinental flights is not it, also think about those coming to pick you up

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by daintydee: 5:11pm On Sep 27, 2014
medman007:

Wch airline are you flying? How many/much luggage is allowed pls. just asking tho.

Lufthansa
Baggage allowance 2*23kg
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
I'm crying oo. I can't continue with this ridiculous exchange rate by gtb Mastercard. Exchange rate officially is 269 but gtb charged me 274 today.

Please someone help me before they run me down!

SpikesC please where can I change all my maintenance fee before I leave?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
kingsilly:

Errrrm..me no too sabi road ooo...d only busy place around me I know na CANADA WATERS..from there na I dey take underground train to Victoria coach station..I no wan loss..spikec Oya navigate me drom canda waters to Hudson side grin

DisGuy: www.tfl.gov.uk find your way around london

Or you can use google search
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:50pm On Sep 27, 2014
GeneralShepherd: I'm crying oo. I can't continue with this ridiculous exchange rate by gtb Mastercard. Exchange rate officially is 269 but gtb charged me 274 today.

Please someone help me before they run me down!

SpikesC please where can I change all my maintenance fee before I leave?

Before you leave? I thought you're already in the UK
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:25am On Sep 28, 2014
spikesC:

Before you leave? I thought you're already in the UK

Nooo Na Friday,I had to work this month bro.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 28, 2014
Moved in grin cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BossLadyCEO: 10:19pm On Sep 28, 2014
So I arrived Heathrow 1:45pm. Didnt get my luggage examined which got me regretting nt parking my palmoil. Any ways flew Emirates and it ws rilly smooth. The service ws 9ce. My flight had a one way stop at Dubai. Dubai intl airport is like d finest I ave ever seen. I ws rilly mesmerised. After 1hr transit time we took off for heathrow. Bt wht pissed me off ws dt it ws Emirates we were connected 2 for dubai 2 London bt one other dt I cant rilly rem. Having received Emirates service on d trip to dubai, I fell in love wit dem already and sure am a loyal customer of deirs already. And even wit 30kg luggage allowance I ws still allowed my 33kg.
chillaxing 2day at east london wit my cos, preparing 2 head 2 Leicester 2moro which by bus is said 2 be 2hrs 30mins, which got me wandering when I will stop travelling? Can I just get to Leicester already..oops...it's like it's taking 4eva 2 get 2 dmu.
Well am glad d weather in London ds 9t is 9ce. It's nt cold atall, which means I can gracoously stretch myself and ave a sound sleep ave been denied on those flights.
ps: someone ere shd pls wake me up b4 7am o, cos my coach is 4 8am, and I have a class 4 10am... smiley

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by silouette: 10:49pm On Sep 28, 2014
My people, I just arrived University of Southampton yesterday night. Tried to find my way around, met some of my fellow Nigerians forming britico nonsense for me, abegi, I just freed them.

Thank God I have you guys here to show me the way. Now let me list my issues below:

1) Does missing the first lectures of some courses seriously affect your understanding of the course (I'm MSc). Because I'm scheduled for international check-in tomorrow and I have about 2 lectures clashing with that.

2) One of my optional modules for the 1st semester is clashing with my core module and I don't have another module I'll like to change to, because the last optional module (was asked to choose 2 out of 3) no dey palatable for me at all. Can I still carry on and alternate my attendance without getting into trouble.

3) What is the best network for cheap international calls and data plan because I am using android phone.

4) Please has anyone here used first bank prepaid card to pay for anything online? Is there a cap on payments or the card isn't just accepted for online payments. I tried paying on ikea website and no way.

5) What is the best bank for international students and why? I would like an account with high transaction and transfer limit.

I thank you all in advance for answers to these questions. I'll also appreciate any suggestions or info that will be helpful towards facilitating safe and fruitful stay throughout my study.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 5:06am On Sep 29, 2014
silouette: My people, I just arrived University of Southampton yesterday night. Tried to find my way around, met some of my fellow Nigerians forming britico nonsense for me, abegi, I just freed them.

Thank God I have you guys here to show me the way. Now let me list my issues below:

1) Does missing the first lectures of some courses seriously affect your understanding of the course (I'm MSc). Because I'm scheduled for international check-in tomorrow and I have about 2 lectures clashing with that.

2) One of my optional modules for the 1st semester is clashing with my core module and I don't have another module I'll like to change to, because the last optional module (was asked to choose 2 out of 3) no dey palatable for me at all. Can I still carry on and alternate my attendance without getting into trouble.

3) What is the best network for cheap international calls and data plan because I am using android phone.

4) Please has anyone here used first bank prepaid card to pay for anything online? Is there a cap on payments or the card isn't just accepted for online payments. I tried paying on ikea website and no way.

5) What is the best bank for international students and why? I would like an account with high transaction and transfer limit.

I thank you all in advance for answers to these questions. I'll also appreciate any suggestions or info that will be helpful towards facilitating safe and fruitful stay throughout my study.

(1) Missing any lectures or seminars is often frowned upon, as it might affect learning processes.
Your reasons are justifiable, speak to student services, so alternative lecture days might be offered or they point you in the right direction (question 1&2)

(3) Lebara, Lyca, vectone or giffgaff

(4) Most UK online portals would not accept foreign registered cards for online transactions, but would accept payments if used in physical stores

(5) Banks would normally come and pitch their tents with students, and would tell you what they can offer. Speak to fellow students, read bank leaflets, online research and walk into banks and speak to their banking services.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Frangbon: 8:08am On Sep 29, 2014
There's Telbo too for cheap International calls
$0.03/min

You should try it out
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by koks2000: 9:51am On Sep 29, 2014
daintydee:

Lufthansa
Baggage allowance 2*23kg
I used Lufthansa and carried 2 bags .23kg each , and one piece of hand luggage and a school bag. U would used trolley at the airport to carry your boxes. if its essential foodstuffs ,carry. just ensure that the boxes do not exceed 23kg
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by anusule(m): 10:40am On Sep 29, 2014
silouette: My people, I just arrived University of Southampton yesterday night. Tried to find my way around, met some of my fellow Nigerians forming britico nonsense for me, abegi, I just freed them.

1. Speak to student services
3. You can get Three UK unlimited data, 3000 mins and 3000 texts for £15 a month. Get Lebara for international calls.
4/5. Get yourself a UK bank account. HSBC, Barclays, Natwest are good. Compare their offers for international students. http://www.moneysupermarket.com/current-accounts/student-bank-accounts/
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by anusule(m): 10:42am On Sep 29, 2014
Anyone here in Leeds? smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 1:30pm On Sep 29, 2014
abeg, which card is cheaper paying with online. Gtb mastercard or accessbank visa card pls

spikeC if u like no answer ur padi . lolz
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 3:22pm On Sep 29, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Now wey you mention am e dey pain me say I no carry cos them no search me at all cry

@ HudsonBanks hmm i can see that you have started living the life in london, anyways life is good pls enjoy ohhhhhhh. sorted out my enrollment and accommodation last week and got my my student ID card too so i have started shopping and getting student discounts oh but lecture start tomorrow, the only thing am happy about is that all my lectures start from 2pm and its only on tuesday,Wednesday and thursday

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by anusule(m): 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2014
paradisewoods: abeg, which card is cheaper paying with online. Gtb mastercard or accessbank visa card pls

Paying online in Nigeria or abroad?

If you are using you Nigerian bank card to pay for goods online abroad then you have to take into consideration bank charges for conversion to local rate.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 4:29pm On Sep 29, 2014
paradisewoods: abeg, which card is cheaper paying with online. Gtb mastercard or accessbank visa card pls

How are you settling in Sunderland? Got accommodation yet? I'm not sure about the difference between GTB and Access cards so hopefully SpikesC might be ale to help with that. Just thought to check you're quite settled.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 7:24pm On Sep 29, 2014
BossLadyCEO: So I arrived Heathrow 1:45pm. Didnt get my luggage examined which got me regretting nt parking my palmoil. Any ways flew Emirates and it ws rilly smooth. The service ws 9ce. My flight had a one way stop at Dubai. Dubai intl airport is like d finest I ave ever seen. I ws rilly mesmerised. After 1hr transit time we took off for heathrow. Bt wht pissed me off ws dt it ws Emirates we were connected 2 for dubai 2 London bt one other dt I cant rilly rem. Having received Emirates service on d trip to dubai, I fell in love wit dem already and sure am a loyal customer of deirs already. And even wit 30kg luggage allowance I ws still allowed my 33kg.
chillaxing 2day at east london wit my cos, preparing 2 head 2 Leicester 2moro which by bus is said 2 be 2hrs 30mins, which got me wandering when I will stop travelling? Can I just get to Leicester already..oops...it's like it's taking 4eva 2 get 2 dmu.
Well am glad d weather in London ds 9t is 9ce. It's nt cold atall, which means I can gracoously stretch myself and ave a sound sleep ave been denied on those flights.
ps: someone ere shd pls wake me up b4 7am o, cos my coach is 4 8am, and I have a class 4 10am... smiley

Welcome welcome welcome cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 7:25pm On Sep 29, 2014

I have never used Accessbank but right now, GTB is really on the high side.
Although, i think it might not make much difference as it seems it should be a comparison between mastercard and visa card.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2014
DonOms:

How are you settling in Sunderland? Got accommodation yet? I'm not sure about the difference between GTB and Access cards so hopefully SpikesC might be ale to help with that. Just thought to check you're quite settled.

Thanks so much DonOms I am really grateful. Yeah have settled down at Sunderland got an accommodation for 250 pounds per months bills inclusive. Thanks so much boss.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2014
spikesC:

I have never used Accessbank but right now, GTB is really on the high side.
Although, i think it might not make much difference as it seems it should be a comparison between mastercard and visa card.

Thanks boss.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
paradisewoods:

Thanks so much DonOms I am really grateful. Yeah have settled down at Sunderland got an accommodation for 250 pounds per months bills inclusive. Thanks so much boss.

Nice cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queen47: 12:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
Please house, which is better, I am yet to pay up the balance of 2,125pounds to my school, should I pay up here before travelling or wait and pay when I arrive my school on Monday......the way I keep reading about bank charges and all, I hope paying in my school wont make me pay more that I would have paid if I had done it here.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
queen47: Please house, which is better, I am yet to pay up the balance of 2,125pounds to my school, should I pay up here before travelling or wait and pay when I arrive my school on Monday......the way I keep reading about bank charges and all, I hope paying in my school wont make me pay more that I would have paid if I had done it here.

It all depends on the payment method.
Paying with your card directly would always be cheaper, so if your school has that facility, then i would advise you pay when you get there
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queen47: 1:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
spikesC:

It all depends on the payment method.
Paying with your card directly would always be cheaper, so if your school has that facility, then i would advise you pay when you get there

Alright, thanks. My Nigerian Master card can do that right? First Bank to be precise.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 1:32pm On Sep 30, 2014
paradisewoods:

Okay. That's good to hear. I hope you will enjoy the relatively quiet city of Sunderland. Have a great time studying.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mrbavs: 4:15pm On Sep 30, 2014
BossLadyCEO: So I arrived Heathrow 1:45pm. Didnt get my luggage examined which got me regretting nt parking my palmoil. Any ways flew Emirates and it ws rilly smooth. The service ws 9ce. My flight had a one way stop at Dubai. Dubai intl airport is like d finest I ave ever seen. I ws rilly mesmerised. After 1hr transit time we took off for heathrow. Bt wht pissed me off ws dt it ws Emirates we were connected 2 for dubai 2 London bt one other dt I cant rilly rem. Having received Emirates service on d trip to dubai, I fell in love wit dem already and sure am a loyal customer of deirs already. And even wit 30kg luggage allowance I ws still allowed my 33kg.

I arrived london on that same flight,the airline we connected with wad Qantas airline,an Australian airline,there service was also superb,its just d cultural difference they didn't put into consideration,like food and stuff,i enjoyed emirates meals especially the 2bottles of white wine i drank,i couldn't relate well with the meal offered on Qantas,above all,i felt a guilt that i needed to pay extra to both airlines for their superb services.

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (213) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.