Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,967 members, 7,799,283 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (94) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (808487 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 5:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
DonOms:

Okay. That's good to hear. I hope you will enjoy the relatively quiet city of Sunderland. Have a great time studying.

Thanks so much, for all ur help. from nigeria to uk . ***Big hug***
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 5:42am On Oct 01, 2014
queen47: Please house, which is better, I am yet to pay up the balance of 2,125pounds to my school, should I pay up here before travelling or wait and pay when I arrive my school on Monday......the way I keep reading about bank charges and all, I hope paying in my school wont make me pay more that I would have paid if I had done it here.

Just before you leave Nigeria, u can speak to ur bank n tell them you wanna pay fees with "Form A". They'll deduct the fees from ur account (after filling forms n attaching all relevant supporting docs like statement of school fees yet to b paid, admission letter, passport and visa, etc. ) at the CBN conversion rate which makes it cheaper.

My opinion though.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by henry0: 9:10am On Oct 01, 2014
iseg007: @ Justwise, Keep on giving the right advise as you have help soo many people including a few friends i know on NL.

My own experience

I came to the UK in 2008 and i had a PLAN, i did masters in Technology Mgmt, one thing i made sure of was to pay my school fees and that was very important. £13500 (no be small money ooo) and came into the country with only £2000. One thing i did was to talk to alot of pple who were already in the UK as what the best job to go for and also where to live, I did my reasearch beforehand and made a plan. Luckily I had an uncle living in south london, so they took me in, but when they turn me into houseboy and i was sleeping on the floor and to read was a problem because they expect you to cook, clean, bath their children and all other house chores. It got to a point they were passing me to other inlaws that i was not even related to, I then knew it was time to leave.
But during this period i applied to every single job you can imagine, I did Cleaning, Work in a hotel as "Room service" (What did i not see!!), Labourer (Imagine bricklayers that i use to look at them like shit, I now began the one carrying bags of cement up and down grin grin), i worked in asda and Tescos, WHAT DID I NOT DO TO SURVIVE, at the end of the day i was only going home with £150 a week. sad and i was doing more than 20 hours a week.

Luckily because i had a plan i was saving like crazy, and how did i do it

- I did not go Clubbing at all, you see naija students working 25hrs and then finish all the money on two bottles of Moet, SHM
- I did not have a girlfriend (but some few away much), having a girlfriend requires a lot, Time, energy and Money,
- I had a budget every month for food and once in a while by cloths. (Primark na my Thomas Pink )
- I neva bought any books as I used only library books
- I got a sim-only contract so i was paying £10 a month for my fone
- I moved to a shared house where i was paying £250 for a single room (All inclusive)

But it was not easy, you had to see how naija pple were treating me like an outcast, like i don't belong. because I did not act they way they did, I had friend who will put nice pictures on facebook wearing so very expensive clothes with white babes drinking moet, then 3 days after they will come to my house to beg for £5, enough said

I was able to save about £2500 at the end of my masters, luckily i got the PSW and then went on to do alot of IT certifications, Now I am working with a top America IT company.

- You have to have a Plan
- Mix with the right people
- Don't be like some people who will be hoarding information, learn to share.
- Be Very FOCUS
- Do not go into a relationship if you can not afford it, with regards to time, money and energy.
- As JUSTWISE said ensure you pay you fees from naija, dont try and come to the UK to work and pay fees because u will SUFFER
- Dont go and be poping Moet when you are cleaning tolilet or buying Gucci shoes, expect you want to do fraud and trust me you will be caught.
- Learn how to save, even if it is £1 a week, try,

Learning a trade is another way to go forward, as you can truly make a lot of money, but again be focus and learn.

There is also the UK experience wahala when looking for a Job(Gist for later)

reference: page 2
Now my visa has been issued, I see myself reading this over and over again to be FOCUSED as soon as I get there. shocked

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 9:30am On Oct 01, 2014
BossLadyCEO: So I arrived Heathrow 1:45pm. Didnt get my luggage examined which got me regretting nt parking my palmoil. Any ways flew Emirates and it ws rilly smooth. The service ws 9ce. My flight had a one way stop at Dubai. Dubai intl airport is like d finest I ave ever seen. I ws rilly mesmerised. After 1hr transit time we took off for heathrow. Bt wht pissed me off ws dt it ws Emirates we were connected 2 for dubai 2 London bt one other dt I cant rilly rem. Having received Emirates service on d trip to dubai, I fell in love wit dem already and sure am a loyal customer of deirs already. And even wit 30kg luggage allowance I ws still allowed my 33kg.
chillaxing 2day at east london wit my cos, preparing 2 head 2 Leicester 2moro which by bus is said 2 be 2hrs 30mins, which got me wandering when I will stop travelling? Can I just get to Leicester already..oops...it's like it's taking 4eva 2 get 2 dmu.
Well am glad d weather in London ds 9t is 9ce. It's nt cold atall, which means I can gracoously stretch myself and ave a sound sleep ave been denied on those flights.
ps: someone ere shd pls wake me up b4 7am o, cos my coach is 4 8am, and I have a class 4 10am... smiley
@ bosslady,please is it just one 30kg bag that one is allowed or two 30kg bags for emirate airline cos I saw 30kgs bag allowance but dont knw if the 30kgs written is for one or two bags.anyother person that has used emirates shud plz help out.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BossLadyCEO: 11:06am On Oct 01, 2014
Chiichii2010:
@ bosslady,please is it just one 30kg bag that one is allowed or two 30kg bags for emirate airline cos I saw 30kgs bag allowance but dont knw if the 30kgs written is for one or two bags.anyother person that has used emirates shud plz help out.

It's just one 30kg, which u can split into 20 pieces if u like, but must all equal 30. But of course u have ur hand luggage too.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BossLadyCEO: 11:11am On Oct 01, 2014
spikesC:

Welcome welcome welcome cool

Thank you thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BossLadyCEO: 11:17am On Oct 01, 2014
mrbavs:

I arrived london on that same flight,the airline we connected with wad Qantas airline,an Australian airline,there service was also superb,its just d cultural difference they didn't put into consideration,like food and stuff,i enjoyed emirates meals especially the 2bottles of white wine i drank,i couldn't relate well with the meal offered on Qantas,above all,i felt a guilt that i needed to pay extra to both airlines for their superb services.

Yes u are right. That Qantas meal ws something else. I was like what da heck is ds, when I tasted d food. I jst respected myself, put d food aside, drank water and Pepsi and continued wit my movie.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:22am On Oct 01, 2014
queen47:

Alright, thanks. My Nigerian Master card can do that right? First Bank to be precise.

Yes, they should, but people has been complaining of firstbank disappointing them over here.
I would advise you visit your branch before travelling and notify them that you would be travelling to the UK so they don't deny transactions when it happens.

My GTB card has never had any issue here though
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queen47: 1:07pm On Oct 01, 2014
spikesC:

Yes, they should, but people has been complaining of firstbank disappointing them over here.
I would advise you visit your branch before travelling and notify them that you would be travelling to the UK so they don't deny transactions when it happens.

My GTB card has never had any issue here though

hhmmm.....ok, will find time to do that. Wish these yeye banks have functional lines to reach them on.

Please, what kind of things would I likely be asked at the POE?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
honey86:
Lol, you have not seen cold o, you are still in Autumn. Wait till winter and you will testify. Just get gloves, cap with ear cover and thermal wears. Sports direct has really good thermal wears and socks. Good luck on your studies.

Please tell them. I have since been staring like are these ppl serious?? Someone is gonna freeze here soon..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Frangbon: 7:00am On Oct 02, 2014
silouette: My people, I just arrived University of Southampton yesterday night. Tried to find my way around, met some of my fellow Nigerians forming britico nonsense for me, abegi, I just freed them.

Thank God I have you guys here to show me the way. Now let me list my issues below:

1) Does missing the first lectures of some courses seriously affect your understanding of the course (I'm MSc). Because I'm scheduled for international check-in tomorrow and I have about 2 lectures clashing with that.

2) One of my optional modules for the 1st semester is clashing with my core module and I don't have another module I'll like to change to, because the last optional module (was asked to choose 2 out of 3) no dey palatable for me at all. Can I still carry on and alternate my attendance without getting into trouble.

3) What is the best network for cheap international calls and data plan because I am using android phone.

4) Please has anyone here used first bank prepaid card to pay for anything online? Is there a cap on payments or the card isn't just accepted for online payments. I tried paying on ikea website and no way.

5) What is the best bank for international students and why? I would like an account with high transaction and transfer limit.

I thank you all in advance for answers to these questions. I'll also appreciate any suggestions or info that will be helpful towards facilitating safe and fruitful stay throughout my study.

Let's meet up
In Southampton too
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:11pm On Oct 02, 2014
Time to check if your central heating radiators are working optimally.....some few weeks left to
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2014
DisGuy: Time to check if your central heating radiators are working optimally.....some few weeks left to
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
Loving the high spirits of the new entrants!! popping champagne, travelling from coast to coasts, testing their debit cards, maxing their internet connections cheesy

don't forget to pop into the student threads to answer questions of nervous applicants!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:22pm On Oct 02, 2014
DisGuy: Loving the high spirits of the new entrants!! popping champagne, travelling from coast to coasts, testing their debit cards, maxing their internet connections cheesy

don't forget to pop into the student threads to answer questions of nervous applicants!!!

lol...that's how it always is naah
I'd say they haven't really settled down
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 2:24pm On Oct 02, 2014
DisGuy: Loving the high spirits of the new entrants!! popping champagne, travelling from coast to coasts, testing their debit cards, maxing their internet connections cheesy

Thanks. Something most ppl overlook as a nairalander...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
Please, are Masters course also included in the Complete Univetsity Guide? I want to start now to make a good choice for my postgraduate next yr. Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2014
peteafrik88: Please, are Masters course also included in the Complete Univetsity Guide? I want to start now to make a good choice for my postgraduate next yr. Thank you

Am not sure.
I believe your school is quite a very good school, so why leaving?.
If you make a first class, they would offer you a huge discount on masters tuition too.

My flat mate got 60% off, here in Greenwich
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:43pm On Oct 02, 2014
spikesC:

lol...that's how it always is naah
I'd say they haven't really settled down

it's good, atleast time to stretch legs before hard work starts! i pity those playing catch up, arriving when classes are in process or rooms have been filled up...those are the ones that will complain someone is forming britico for not helping them as fellow naija..like say dem come look uche face for jand lol

very soon y'all will be looking outside lecture halls wandering if its really 4pm or 12midnight!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
peteafrik88:

Thanks. Something most ppl overlook as a nairalander...

True! recent applicants have the most update processing information that would be useful those applying or stuck with their applications esp as the UK system change frequently
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:00pm On Oct 02, 2014
DisGuy:

it's good, atleast time to stretch legs before hard work starts! i pity those playing catch up, arriving when classes are in process or rooms have been filled up...those are the ones that will complain someone is forming britico for not helping them as fellow naija..like say dem come look uche face for jand lol

very soon y'all will be looking outside lecture halls wandering if its really 4pm or 12midnight!

Lol..but yeah, it's very good to come as early as possible, settle down very well and get your feet wet before things get out of hand
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by henry0: 4:31pm On Oct 02, 2014
Please house, I intend coming over with solid/well dried food stuffs and enough cold water starch, hope the starch is allowed incase am searched?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 5:22pm On Oct 02, 2014
henry0: Please house, I intend coming over with solid/well dried food stuffs and enough cold water starch, hope the starch is allowed incase am searched?

What's with the starch
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by henry0: 5:25pm On Oct 02, 2014
spikesC:

What's with the starch
For my clothes..since its not expensive here, would love to get up to 20 pieces.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 5:27pm On Oct 02, 2014
henry0: Please house, I intend coming over with solid/well dried food stuffs and enough cold water starch, hope the starch is allowed incase am searched?

You can get cold starch here and i have tried using it once and it was alright so feel free
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by henry0: 5:35pm On Oct 02, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

You can get cold starch here and i have tried using it once and it was alright so feel free
Ok. thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 5:47pm On Oct 02, 2014
henry0:
For my clothes..since its not expensive here, would love to get up to 20 pieces.

You don't have to worry about that. It's here
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by henry0: 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
spikesC:

You don't have to worry about that. It's here
Daalu!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by silouette: 10:12pm On Oct 02, 2014
Na your type full road now :p Nothing wrong in being helpful to people trying to find their feet in a new place, I'm sure you were a newbie once too. Anyway, I've gotten myself quite settled in and know my way around town. So thanks to those that offered needed info.

DisGuy:

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 11:36pm On Oct 02, 2014
DisGuy:
And then your alarm wakes you up one morning and you're glad to shut it down cos you get an extra hour of sleep, did someone say wind your clocks backwards aint cool?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:13am On Oct 03, 2014
So my.flight is by 6.50am in the morning and I'm awake by 12 am.

It's been an opportunity I looked forward to but at this time I just feel like not going. My girlfriend, my parents and my sister will be seeing me off tomorrow to the airport.

I will miss Nigeria,my job, my one true love,my friends.

Hope i don't get home sick. Anyway a man has to do what a man has to do

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 12:15am On Oct 03, 2014
spikesC:

Am not sure.
I believe your school is quite a very good school, so why leaving?.
If you make a first class, they would offer you a huge discount on masters tuition too.

My flat mate got 60% off, here in Greenwich
I am in University of Portsmouth and really want to come to a London based Russel group Uni for Postgrad. Please, I need some advice.. .

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (213) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.