Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,545 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:43 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (531542 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 13, 2016
IyaEjima:

University of Manitoba
Guy abeg run away from that uni. With such grade you should only aim the best universities. Contact university of british Colombia or mcgill university. I know mastercard offers post graduate scholarships at university of British columbia, so do your research.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ednaline: 12:01am On Jan 14, 2016
Dear all Pls I need help, I submitted an expression of interest to the manitoba provincial nominee program. I have been advised to apply. But I have no one that is residence in manitoba that can nominate me as required. Pls I need assistance
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 1:05am On Jan 14, 2016
tensazangetsu:

Guy abeg run away from that uni. With such grade you should only aim the best universities. Contact university of british Colombia or mcgill university. I know mastercard offers post graduate scholarships at university of British columbia, so do your research.
You don't search for schools for CPGA reasons / "name" alone but also for schools with programs in which u r sure of full funding! Nobody come throway money for Canada.. OP wants to study Agric Econs and most Agric grad students get good funding packages in MB... U should do ur research!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:46am On Jan 14, 2016
For anyone considering studying in Edmonton Alberta at schools such as NAIT or The University of Alberta, as someone who lives here I can give some insight on some of the cost of living expenses.

An apartment here can be quite expensive , with a 1 bedroom starting at about $850 up to $1300 a month, plus utilities. A room can be had for about $500+. There are some areas in the north east and south east that should be avoided due to street crime from crack cocaine and methamphetamine abuse. Though rents there can be much more affordable.

The cheapest grocery store is No Frills. Though if on a limited budget I'd recommend buying food at Giant Tiger / dollar stores. African foods can be found along 107 avenue just north of downtown. If you're Muslim halal foods can be found throughout the city, and there are masjids in all areas of the city.

Winter here can get brutal with temps dipping to -20c - -30c with wind chills. I'd recommend a quality winter jacket and a warm hat. Kijji is a good place to find rentals, avoid craigslist as it's stacked deep with scammers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Saintp(m): 8:44am On Jan 14, 2016
Hi guys,
i want to do a taught masters for 1 year and I'll fund it from my purse. How easily will getting admission be? do i stand the chance of working and getting a PR after the program? what of getting a VISA, how easy is it?
I have tried research masters but couldn't get maybe due to my CGPA of 3.65 but i want to relocate to canada and I'm looking for clever ways to do it. plz someone help.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Walexwal: 6:03pm On Jan 14, 2016
tensazangetsu:

Thanks bro. I have already applied for a 1 yr MSC mfre program at UBC. They are just waiting for me to send my references letter , although i sent it through courier on Monday but the graduate assistance there told me to upload it as that work faster.

I applied with MasterCard foundation. I just don't want this yr to waste that is why I wanna apply to another sch to be on safer side although the funds may not be there.

Am just trying to see which one will work out best.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 14, 2016
Walexwal:

Thanks bro. I have already applied for a 1 yr MSC mfre program at UBC. They are just waiting for me to send my references letter , although i sent it through courier on Monday but the graduate assistance there told me to upload it as that work faster.

I applied with MasterCard foundation. I just don't want this yr to waste that is why I wanna apply to another sch to be on safer side although the funds may not be there.

Am just trying to see which one will work out best.
Then try schools in the USA. If you dont mind coming back to nigeria, you could also try European universities and apply to the erasmus mundus program. Make sure you go to the best schools o. No matter what anyone tells you, the ranking of the school you go to now really matters.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by freeR1: 9:50pm On Jan 14, 2016
What is the best way to contact Nigerian Embassy in Ottawa? Tried the numbers on their website, both numbers are not function. Sent an email, no response. I have questions about passport renewal. Are there peeps in the house who have recently done a renewal?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omonjoe(m): 8:55am On Jan 15, 2016
I currently need a roommate to share my room with. The room is at Kitchener.

If u re interested pm me.
NB. I need only male student as a be guy o
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rudyislife: 12:00pm On Jan 16, 2016
Please how do I convert my Cgpa to University of Saskatchewan Grading system,my Nigeria Cgpa is 3.46,but in had above that in my last two years of study.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 16, 2016
Iyam, unimanitoba has not replied my mail o
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by manny14: 8:16am On Jan 17, 2016
Can someone please tell me the current bank exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and naira? sad sad
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Caulker: 9:02am On Jan 17, 2016
manny14:
Can someone please tell me the current bank exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and naira? sad sad

As at yesterday, GTB charged 198

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 17, 2016
IyaEjima:

You don't search for schools for CPGA reasons / "name" alone but also for schools with programs in which u r sure of full funding! Nobody come throway money for Canada.. OP wants to study Agric Econs and most Agric grad students get good funding packages in MB... U should do ur research!
Most good canadian universities don't accept below 2 1 from Nigerian graduates but they do from ghanian graduates. On ubc websites they accept a second class lower from ghanian graduates. I wonder why it's so.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 17, 2016
tensazangetsu:

Most good canadian universities don't accept below 2 1 from Nigerian graduates but they do from ghanian graduates. On ubc websites they accept a second class lower from ghanian graduates. I wonder why it's so.
That is obvious. It shows that Ghanaian education is rated higher than that in Nigeria. Even we Nigerians admit this by traveling in our millions to study in Ghana despite the unfriendly policies towards Nigerian students. No consensus for ECOWAS unlike the SADC in South Africa.
So, why is the quality of Nigeria education so low:
1. Poorly funded education sector. Only the government fund education in Nigeria and even that is meager. In developed nation, the industries could spend more on financing researches, scholarships etc that their government. In Nigeria what we have is corporate rascals rubbing the nation and not giving back to the communities.
2. Corrupt academia. Sorting is still ongoing. Alive and kicking. Are we producing the best graduates or the highest 'sorting' graduate.
3. Under-paid teachers/lecturers. When you pay this people like beggars, they find the money to lead a decent live from elsewhere. The elsewhere could be from compulsory handout and other corrupt means. The whole system is so messed up that we see abnormal things as normal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 17, 2016
naijamark:

That is obvious. It shows that Ghanaian education is rated higher than that in Nigeria. Even we Nigerians admit this by traveling in our millions to study in Ghana despite the unfriendly policies towards Nigerian students. No consensus for ECOWAS unlike the SADC in South Africa.
So, why is the quality of Nigeria education so low:
1. Poorly funded education sector. Only the government fund education in Nigeria and even that is meager. In developed nation, the industries could spend more on financing researches, scholarships etc that their government. In Nigeria what we have is corporate rascals rubbing the nation and not giving back to the communities.
2. Corrupt academia. Sorting is still ongoing. Alive and kicking. Are we producing the best graduates or the highest 'sorting' graduate.
3. Under-paid teachers/lecturers. When you pay this people like beggars, they find the money to lead a decent live from elsewhere. The elsewhere could be from compulsory handout and other corrupt means. The whole system is so messed up that we see abnormal things as normal.
I really think it's because the system of education in Nigeria is very easy and honestly it's shit. If you study very well here there's nothing stopping you from making a good 2 1 or first class but it's not really so in the ghanian system. That place is tough, take it from someone who has experience both sides.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by harrrry: 4:51pm On Jan 17, 2016
please house i did electrical in B.eng with second class upper 3.54 , can i get offer in mechatronics in M.eng from any university in canada TETFUND sponsor
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 17, 2016
tensazangetsu:

I really think it's because the system of education in Nigeria is very easy and honestly it's shit. If you study very well here there's nothing stopping you from making a good 2 1 or first class but it's not really so in the ghanian system. That place is tough, take it from someone who has experience both sides.
It's nothing to do with level of difficulty. Education is even easier in developed countries. It's more inclined towards the 'quality' of education.
Naijamark as said it all, and on point.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 17, 2016
saxywale:

It's nothing to do with level of difficulty. Education is even easier in developed countries. It's more inclined towards the 'quality' of education.
Naijamark as said it all, and on point.
I really doubt that statement, I don't think a school like MIT, caltech or harvard will be easy. You would have to work very hard to graduate. I think it depends on the school a low class state school in the usa might be easy.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by manny14: 10:26pm On Jan 17, 2016
Wow 198. Thanks.
Caulker:

As at yesterday, GTB charged 198
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 18, 2016
tensazangetsu:

I really doubt that statement, I don't think a school like MIT, caltech or harvard will be easy. You would have to work very hard to graduate. I think it depends on the school a low class state school in the usa might be easy.

what I meant by "easy" is that their academic system is structured in a way that if you study(without stress), submit assignments when due, sit for all test, avoid plagiarism, then you have no reason to fail except if that person is completely dull.

e.g Exams could be only 30% of total marks while CA would account for the remaining 70%. And there could be up to 5 CA's, and sometimes the best 4 could be used.

In exams, you would also be given a formula bank in some cases. Also, if the student fail say at first attempt in an exam, they are given a 2nd chance through remedial like its done in some private unis in Nigeria.

The focus is more on application, and not cramming. In Nigeria public universities, you can study hard and read over night, yet still fail as the lecturer would expect you to memorize all his notes, and recommended textbooks irrespective of whether you understand what you are memorizing or not. This same lecturer would set an exam with 80% of total marks and 20% CA, with only one attempt at each.

Now which style of education do you think is the easiest?

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GboyegaD(m): 1:02pm On Jan 18, 2016
Walexwal:
pls which Uni in Canada can I do MSC Agricultural Economics with funding available . I av a Degree with GPA of 4.5

is my result strong enof for funding?

thanks

Try Saskatchewan and Guelph.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 18, 2016
Following.....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by harrrry: 6:38pm On Jan 18, 2016
harrrry:
please house i did electrical in B.eng with second class upper 3.54 , can i get offer in mechatronics in M.eng from any university in canada TETFUND sponsor
no reponse yet
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Hehehehe1: 7:58pm On Jan 20, 2016
ekpblues8:
@LAMAMA1:u can link up with him and his friend:Alonge Imole-ayo Matthew(Jan 2016):Winter Class & Dotun Adedoyin(Sept 2015):Fall class. both are studying business admin(undergraduate level):Diploma programme
sir wat document did u submit during application to nis
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Saintp(m): 8:02am On Jan 21, 2016
Saintp:
Hi guys,
i want to do a taught masters for 1 year and I'll fund it from my purse. How easily will getting admission be? do i stand the chance of working and getting a PR after the program? what of getting a VISA, how easy is it?
I have tried research masters but couldn't get maybe due to my CGPA of 3.65 but i want to relocate to canada and I'm looking for clever ways to do it. plz someone help.
Nobody wants to help out?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lola234(f): 4:10pm On Jan 21, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by stunning4real: 4:45pm On Jan 21, 2016
Pls house i wil like to know i wish to do a course in Canada,is it possible for my spouse and son to be given accompanying visa if i was admitted
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Bostin(m): 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
lola234:
Please which University in Canada can I get full funding scholarship to do my master in either software engineering or actuarial science, just graduated from Pure and Applied Mathematics with 4.1 GPA
Check in Europe, Norway,Finland,DEnmark, Sweden,Germany
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lola234(f): 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2016
Bostin:
Check in Europe, Norway,Finland,DEnmark, Sweden,Germany

Can't I get admission in Canada?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Bostin(m): 5:42pm On Jan 21, 2016
lola234:

Can't I get admission in Canada?
You asked for full funding and that is where I know you can get it.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lola234(f): 5:44pm On Jan 21, 2016
Bostin:
You asked for full funding and that is where I know you can get it.

Okay thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (84) (Reply)

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.