Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,498 members, 7,770,247 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:04 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530936 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Olami1224: 4:27pm On Mar 07, 2012
Thank you guys for all your contributions, you have being really helpful.

@ Phemmy please i have some personal question to ask you, please e-mail: (sodiqonas@yahoo.com) or drop me your email, i will get back to you.

Thanks

Olami
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mowney(f): 4:14pm On Mar 13, 2012
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 12:30am On Mar 14, 2012
@mowney, just sent you an email. However, I encourage you to also post your questions here as there are several others who know much about Canada, as well as people who might learn from the responses to your questions. Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by luckgames(m): 5:54pm On Mar 15, 2012
mimi234: Typically an undergraduate degree in the UK are 3 years (with the exception of Medicine and Architecture), however you can do 4 year degree where the extra year is a study abroad option or work experience this usually is your third year then you come back to complete your degree in your 4th year.

However not all universities offer the 4 years degree and not all courses have this 4 year degree as an option got to do your research however the norm in the UK is 3 years for bachelors degree.
Metro Toronto is not a cheap city
accommodation is very expensive
Husband and wife has two bedrooms and will rent you a room
But I love Toronto miss the place

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 3:24pm On Mar 16, 2012
luckgames:
Metro Toronto is not a cheap city
accommodation is very expensive
Husband and wife has two bedrooms and will rent you a room
But I love Toronto miss the place

I am trying to understand this post . . .
You could get cheap accomodation in Toronto, all depends on your choice and where you are willing to reside and how far you willing to commute to work or school.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by agiboma(f): 5:54pm On Mar 16, 2012
femmmy is right it also you can rent a room with a family in the outskirts of Toronto, I got a house in Ajax and i rent a room for 400 - 450 $ a month which is the standard rate, If you work or go to school in Toronto the cost of transportation would be more.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:07pm On Mar 16, 2012
agiboma: femmmy is right it also you can rent a room with a family in the outskirts of Toronto, I got a house in Ajax and i rent a room for 400 - 450 $ a month which is the standard rate, If you work or go to school in Toronto the cost of transportation would be more.

Lemme Guess, Are you in UOIT?. . . . . . .

Also, 4 students could come together and rent a whole house or 3 comes together even ini Toronto and rent a 3 B/D Apartment, but i have come to notice that kids from poor background, once they get to Canada or USA, they wanna leave Big while mama and papa back home struggles to pay their tuition.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by agiboma(f): 9:08pm On Mar 16, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Lemme Guess, Are you in UOIT?. . . . . . .

Also, 4 students could come together and rent a whole house or 3 comes together even ini Toronto and rent a 3 B/D Apartment, but i have come to notice that kids from poor background, once they get to Canada or USA, they wanna leave Big while mama and papa back home struggles to pay their tuition.

No im not @ UOIT, Im Canadian by birth, so i grew up in Toronto and lived their all my life until i met my son's father, we then moved over to Nigeria he is Igbo, so i travel back and forth, while im out of the country i rent out rooms in my house to students. I had a few students from Saudi Arabia once and they paid like 900 $ for room and meals, i liked them the best grin. I graduated from York University a few years back. Where are you studying?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 12:08am On Mar 17, 2012
agiboma:

No im not @ UOIT, Im Canadian by birth, so i grew up in Toronto and lived their all my life until i met my son's father, we then moved over to Nigeria he is Igbo, so i travel back and forth, while im out of the country i rent out rooms in my house to students. I had a few students from Saudi Arabia once and they paid like 900 $ for room and meals, i liked them the best grin. I graduated from York University a few years back. Where are you studying?

Nice to know.
I am done with school too, working and doing business . . .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by LSkooker: 6:55pm On Mar 18, 2012
share your expenses ...reduce cost smiley,do part time job .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 12:47am On Mar 19, 2012
LSkooker: share your expenses ...reduce cost smiley,do part time job .

Part time jobs aint that easy as a student on student visa . . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by agiboma(f): 9:35am On Mar 20, 2012
I am not sure about the immigration stuff, but you can apply for bursaries, when i was in college, Georgian College in Barrie, ON i got a 3,000 $ bursary every semester. Once i got to University they where not as nice,i did not get anything.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:43pm On Mar 20, 2012
agiboma: I am not sure about the immigration stuff, but you can apply for bursaries, when i was in college, Georgian College in Barrie, ON i got a 3,000 $ bursary every semester. Once i got to University they where not as nice,i did not get anything.

That is very true . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Hotstepper(f): 10:29pm On Mar 20, 2012
Agiboma, wen did u graduate from York nd r u a Nigerian?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by agiboma(f): 12:14am On Mar 21, 2012
Hotstepper: Agiboma, wen did u graduate from York nd r u a Nigerian?

I am not Nigerian and i graduated in 2006
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 8:41am On Mar 23, 2012
Hmm Ǻ♍ in love wif this thread, think I†̥ wiℓℓ βε̲̣̣̣̥ of great benefit to ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥, as I wiℓℓ βε̲̣̣̣̥ in Ca, soon by Sept.
Undergraduate U of R in Saskatchewan Regina. Anyone going on same period Lε̲̣̣̣̥τ̲̅s share thoughts pls. @Agiboma nice job...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Hotstepper(f): 9:17am On Mar 23, 2012
agiboma:

I am not Nigerian and i graduated in 2006

Oh k....i graduated from York in 07
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 8:21am On Mar 25, 2012
Any one here going to University of Regina September, pls let's hook up.. winkAny one here going to University of Regina September, pls let's hook up..
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by successgrace: 6:07pm On Mar 26, 2012
dis thread is so nice
guys kip it up
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by singlelity(m): 9:09am On Mar 30, 2012
@ninjasexy. Can't someone work and finances his graduate program in engineering there in canada.cos I applied to ur school and I will like to finance my education atleast frm what I worked for there.if it is nt possible tell me cos I can only be able to afford half of my masters paid for now.pls if there is a possibility of working out money there to pay d remaining tuition still let me knw
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by singlelity(m): 9:10am On Mar 30, 2012
@ninjasexy. Can't someone work and finances his graduate program in engineering there in canada.cos I applied to ur school and I will like to finance my education atleast frm what I worked for there.if it is nt possible tell me cos I can only be able to afford half of my masters paid for now.pls if there is a possibility of working out money there to pay d remaining tuition still let me knw and pls send ur email.so I can contact you better.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2012
singlelity: @ninjasexy. Can't someone work and finances his graduate program in engineering there in canada.cos I applied to ur school and I will like to finance my education atleast frm what I worked for there.if it is nt possible tell me cos I can only be able to afford half of my masters paid for now.pls if there is a possibility of working out money there to pay d remaining tuition still let me knw and pls send ur email.so I can contact you better.thanks

Hope you dont mind me contributing to the question you have up there.
First of all, the canadian embassy wanna be sure you have the money to finance your education before you are granted the visa, so if all you have is half of the money, how would you show them you can afford the Tuition and your living expenses?
But if you could get a visa and found yourself in Canada, if you have a will, there is a way!
Good luck
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by singlelity(m): 2:01pm On Mar 30, 2012
@fhemmy can I get ur email .you rilli did nt get me.I nid 2 confirm smetin frm u
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:41pm On Mar 30, 2012
singlelity: @fhemmy can I get ur email .you rilli did nt get me.I nid 2 confirm smetin frm u

Check the footing for my post and you will see my mail there, Sir . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by singlelity(m): 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2012
@fhemmmy sorry am new to this site and don't knw where 2 access your email.though I sent u a facebook frnd request now.only u can still post the email if u can
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 4:20pm On Mar 30, 2012
singlelity: @fhemmmy sorry am new to this site and don't knw where 2 access your email.though I sent u a facebook frnd request now.only u can still post the email if u can

Seen you mail, responded already as well . . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Noswaa: 7:24pm On Mar 30, 2012
I have bsc in education economics and i secured admission to study major in economics on a transfer credit as an undergraduate programme,what is the possibility of getting student visa?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by geogentle: 8:46pm On Mar 30, 2012
@Fhemmmy,

How easy is it to combine work and study in Canada as a family man? I hold a PRC but no regular job yet and would like to get a master's degree. Wish I can talk to u off NL.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 10:59pm On Mar 31, 2012
naijasexy: ^^You are very welcome.
That's what you should do. Only after getting your visa should you proceed to make arrangements for accommodation.

How do you play safe when the school says campus accommodation has a closing date?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 11:09pm On Mar 31, 2012
What happens at the airport where you are given your Temporary resident visa? Do you need to provide all the docs you used for the permit? Also, if you have gotten a "better" offer, is presenting that offer instead of the one you used for study permit at the port of entry a bad idea?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 11:19pm On Mar 31, 2012
geogentle: @Fhemmmy,

How easy is it to combine work and study in Canada as a family man? I hold a PRC but no regular job yet and would like to get a master's degree. Wish I can talk to u off NL.

You could talk to me off NL if you want to . . . Are you on Gmail? I am a Gmailer . . . not fun of Yahoo.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 11:25pm On Mar 31, 2012
Fhemmmy:

You could talk to me off NL if you want to . . . Are you on Gmail? I am a Gmailer . . . not fun of Yahoo.

Uncle Fhemmmy, My question plsssssss wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.