Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,976 members, 7,799,322 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (532728 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by dannyfrank(m): 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2016
Hi ..am new here thou...and i respect the brotherly aid y"all are sharing.
please i wanna start my Canada project..i will be applying to Niagara college. Advanced Law Enforcement and
Investigations(Undergraduate)
This school requires a first fee deposit of $500 and am planning to pay $1,000 as my first installment tuition..my question is,is it ok?does the embassy see anything wrong with it?I hope the embassy won't demand i pay a whole semester tuition which i can't afford nw..infact does the embassy have the right to do so?
am awaiting ya kind response.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by dannyfrank(m): 5:41pm On Jul 05, 2016
hi.
God bless Y"all for d good jobs ur doing here.
I will be applying to naigara college
Advanced Law Enforcement and
This school requires $500 tuition deposit before coming over and i've decided to mk it up to $1,000
please my question is,i hope those little money am paying wont hamper my chance of getting a Visa?
Will they tell me to go and pay a full semester tuition can they?

Also do banks still give PTA(personal travelling allowance)at this dispensation.
thanks for ur kind response
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 10:53pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hello everyone, I salute you!

I am currently a master's degree student in Finland with just one session left to round off. My GPA has been impressive so far and I hope to finish close to 5 point. I intend to move to Canada during the fall of 2017 for my PhD but I would still be working on my thesis by the time the admission process ends in January 2017, although I should have completed my course work by then. Will I be good to apply as it is obtainable in USA and UK schools?

Need not say that I have recently started doing some basic research on Canadian educational system (admission and funding opportunities), and I have identified two universities (McGill and one other) that offer research opportunities in my field of interest. However, my main concern is about funding, I would like to learn first hand from people who have recent experience with funding opportunities in Canada... Where should I turn to, what is the probability of getting funding from the university or other Canadian government bodies...?

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chaiks: 6:59am On Jul 08, 2016
I appreciate the work of wonderful people of this thread. Please I want to know if it's possible for me to get a good masters funding in Canada or Switzerland searched for finish schools but was told tuition now applies is it true? Please anyone in Finland knows if uni Helsinki does political science or international relations? Please are there good places you guys can advice me to look for funding. I am interested in international relations. With a GPA of 4.49 and presently am preparing for ielts. Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by yfeey: 4:45pm On Jul 14, 2016
ujugirl88:
Hi all,i wana apply for a 2 years post graduate diploma in human resource mgt in Acsenda school of management vancouver. Has anyone hear abt dis sch? Any cheap college or uni u can suggest for postgraduate diploma Pls I need answers ASAP.thanks cry shocked
please have you gotten any detail on this school?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by afasanmi: 9:06pm On Jul 14, 2016
yfeey:

please have you gotten any detail on this school?

You can also try College of new Caledonia
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kife(m): 8:15am On Jul 15, 2016
Please who has flown Air Maroc before?
I hear they are very strict at montreal.
anyone with personal experiences please?

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bayocanny: 10:02am On Jul 15, 2016
kife:
Please who has flown Air Maroc before? I hear they are very strict at montreal. anyone with personal experiences please?
Thanks
What happen to Ethiopian Airline? Does Air Maroc fly to canada cus have never see anybody fly them to canada
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kife(m): 10:23am On Jul 15, 2016
bayocanny:

What happen to Ethiopian Airline?
Does Air Maroc fly to canada cus have never see anybody fly them to canada

Ethopian is now very expensive, over 480k
Air Maroc flies canada
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kife(m): 10:25am On Jul 15, 2016
bayocanny:

What happen to Ethiopian Airline?
Does Air Maroc fly to canada cus have never see anybody fly them to canada

Air Maroc flies canada.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bayocanny: 10:46am On Jul 15, 2016
kife:

Air Maroc flies canada.
Yes you are right, Ethiopian is damn expensive now someone book it at 530k last week...I would advise you go for Egypt Air, a friend of mine is flying them mid August though he has book his flight long time ago it was 180k then...another thing u can do is to check airlines that are bound for canada from lagos either Etihad, egypt, ethiopian, KLM et al wake up in the midnight and be checking you might be lucky to see cheap one

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kife(m): 6:09am On Jul 16, 2016
bayocanny:

Yes you are right, Ethiopian is damn expensive now someone book it at 530k last week...I would advise you go for Egypt Air, a friend of mine is flying them mid August though he has book his flight long time ago it was 180k then...another thing u can do is to check airlines that are bound for canada from lagos either Etihad, egypt, ethiopian, KLM et al wake up in the midnight and be checking you might be lucky to see cheap one

yea right...tnks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by luckyprince(m): 7:42am On Jul 17, 2016
thanx for the info

SegunWamiri:
As an international student here in Canada, [b]one is not eligible to work outside campus for the first six months. To gain eligibility, you must spend a minimum of 6 months as a FULL-TIME student and with a minimum GPA of 2.0 (during those six months) then you can apply for your OCWP (Off campus work permit). This takes about a month to process and processing time for online applications are always faster. Upon procurement of your OCWP, you can then apply for a social insurance number (takes only about 5 minutes). This number ensures that taxes are duly deducted. With this, you can find employment off campus.

Note that if for any reason your GPA drops below 2.0 after procurement of your OCWP, your working privileges would be withdrawn by the Canadian government and they might even ask you to mail your OCWP back to them until you are able to raise your GPA.

If however, you come as a landed immigrant, you dont need to wait six months. just get your SIN and find employment.
As for getting jobs, McDonalds is literally always hiring. So is Tim Hortons. Whatever job you get be it serving coffee or flipping burgers, be sure to accept if you must survive as living cost is relatively high.
If you dont get a job off campus, there are numerous job opportunities on campus. You could work in your school cafeteria, at the library. All you need do is ask questions and look out for fliers. You should be fine.

Accommodation: I would suggest that in your first year, you live in residence (on campus). Living off-campus right from the first year is not advisable because you have to give yourself time to acclimatize to the new environment of your school. Typically, general information gets to those who live on campus first before those who dont and one thing you always wanna ensure is that you are in the know all the time. It is only after first year you can confidently move out of residence if you want to and get cheap accommodation outside.
Try to make friends with people (Nigerians and other nationalities) during your first year so that you can at least find someone to co-rent an apartment then you can split your bills equally and save some money. The average cost of a 2 bedroom apartment is $700. You pay half of that if you split.

That said, try to find an apartment where all the utilities (light, electricity and internet) come in the bill. You dont wanna be paying $350 for rent and pay an extra $60 for utilities.

To call home at cheap rates, always use a calling card. NEVER try dialing an international number directly on your mobile. That is so expensive.

That information became obsolete in June 2014. You can start work either on or off campus as soon as you find a job in Canada as a student NOW

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nievel: 8:33am On Jul 19, 2016
It's great to be here. Thanx to everyone for all the wonderful information shared here. I am planning towards attending Seneca college in January. Just started my application process.

Please anyone who has attended Seneca can you kindly share your views about the college in terms of quality and location in Toronto.

Is newnham campus on the outskirts and less busy area of the city?

How much is off campus accommodation around the area?

My family is discouraging me about picking a school in Toronto because it's busy and expensive like Lagos. I will be coming with my 2 year old daughter, will it be convenient to move around with public transport with her or I need to get a car?

Kindly help with your advice and also anything else that might help that i havent mentioned. Thank you .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by TwistedPair(m): 2:58pm On Jul 23, 2016
Nievel:
It's great to be here. Thanx to everyone for all the wonderful information shared here. I am planning towards attending Seneca college in January. Just started my application process.
Please anyone who has attended Seneca can you kindly share your views about the college in terms of quality and location in Toronto.
Is newnham campus on the outskirts and less busy area of the city?
How much is off campus accommodation around the area?
My family is discouraging me about picking a school in Toronto because it's busy and expensive like Lagos. I will be coming with my 2 year old daughter, will it be convenient to move around with public transport with her or I need to get a car?
Kindly help with your advice and also anything else that might help that i havent mentioned. Thank you .

Hi Nievel, Seneca College is a very good school, it's located in the busy parts of Toronto, yea, but job opportunities abound here also and it's not as expensive as pple say(all depends on how you budget/spending habits)..getting accommodation close to sch makes sense cos campus acc. can be quite expensive..

And as for the car thingy, depends on your budget as well, if money no be problem, by all means..however, public transport is very accessible, even with your daughter, you won't have much stress getting around if you live close to sch and take the bus

FYI I live in Toronto..came here in 2014 as a student..working now in a good place

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hackerd: 12:38am On Jul 26, 2016
Hello House, Your help is needed. I need someone to refer me to colleges in Canada that admits Third class. I have a third class in Horticulture and a PostGraduate Diploma in Agricultural Extension and Rural Development. I have tried Flemming college but was not given admission. I am looking forward to your messages. Thanks so much
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chimah3(m): 12:30pm On Jul 31, 2016
Just read from page 1 to 48 *phew*

Nairaland and awesome people grin

I got just one tiny question I didn't get all through this...

What province can one settle down in for studies that hold little distractions like the bigger cities but still hold great potentials??

Plans to still move out immediately after studies...just want to face one thing at at time! Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nievel: 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2016
Thanks a lot Twisted pair, I appreciate your detailed response. Bless you!
TwistedPair:

Hi Nievel, Seneca College is a very good school, it's located in the busy parts of Toronto, yea, but job opportunities abound here also and it's not as expensive as pple say(all depends on how you budget/spending habits)..getting accommodation close to sch makes sense cos campus acc. can be quite expensive..

And as for the car thingy, depends on your budget as well, if money no be problem, by all means..however, public transport is very accessible, even with your daughter, you won't have much stress getting around if you live close to sch and take the bus

FYI I live in Toronto..came here in 2014 as a student..working now in a good place
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by faskare: 8:39am On Aug 04, 2016
Hello,

Bow Valley College is a very good college and I would suggest that if you have your way do not grad in Niaja as Canada do not recognize most of our courses. For example,I was at U of Calgary to make inquiries about a program and the woman asked where did I obtain my first degree? I told her Nigeria. She replied sorry we do not accept some courses offered like Use of English is not recognized. And other courses, I need to provide the syllabus/ outline for the course. You will be so mad with the Nigerian educational system when you get here. I will suggest you apply for the Diploma program which is a 2 year course compared to a certificate program which is a year. As for me, I am to start in Spring 2017, though I hold both first and second degrees but I need a Canadian certificate to achieve my aim. However, note that BWC is in Calgary Alberta and it is a little expensive compared to Toronto.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by faskare: 9:42am On Aug 04, 2016
pinkettrox:
Pls help a 19 yrs old!!!
So i found this school called Bow valley college in Alberta. I think am interested but am still really not clear about somethings:
1. It is a college so they offer certificate courses/ diploma . Which should I consider as I want to study Business. Although am in Uni here in Naija. I really want don't want to spend 4 years in Uni and the dollar rate is crazy so I really want to go for not so expensive one. But nobody seems to mention this school. How is it ? Pls help a girl

Hello,

Bow Valley College is a very good college and I would suggest that if you have your way do not grad in Niaja as Canada do not recognize most of our courses. For example,I was at U of Calgary to make inquiries about a program and the woman asked where did I obtain my first degree? I told her Nigeria. She replied sorry we do not accept some courses offered like Use of English is not recognized. And other courses, I need to provide the syllabus/ outline for the course. You will be so mad with the Nigerian educational system when you get here. I will suggest you apply for the Diploma program which is a 2 year course compared to a certificate program which is a year. As for me, I am to start in Spring 2017, though I hold both first and second degrees but I need a Canadian certificate to achieve my aim. However, note that BWC is in Calgary Alberta and it is a little expensive compared to Toronto.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jendy36(m): 8:28pm On Aug 07, 2016
dannyfrank:
please i wanna start my Canada project..i will be applying to Niagara college. Advanced Law Enforcement and
This school requires a first fee deposit of $500 and am planning to pay $1,000 as my first installment tuition..my question is,is it ok?does the embassy see anything wrong with it?I hope the embassy won't demand i pay a whole semester tuition which i can't afford nw..infact does the embassy have the right to do so?

I asked similar question in the other if total tuition must be paid before getting visa and travelling. Say for school like MUN or Durham College, do I need to pay the total tuition for a year before getting visa and starting school. I am waiting for answers too grin
dannyfrank:

I asked similar question in the other if total tuition must be paid before getting visa and travelling. Say for school like MUN or Durham College, do I need to pay the total tuition for a year before getting visa and starting school. I am waiting for answers too
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by opia12345: 8:35am On Aug 08, 2016
you can start working once u r in Canada for education , 20hrs /week, full time during hols
luckyprince:
thanx for the info

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oohunt: 12:29am On Aug 10, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am new on this thread and was referred by justwise. I see it is a students thread, I am hoping you guys can help with my questions.

We are thinking about applying for the highly skilled worker program. However, I do not know what to expect, what life is like in Canada (apart from the cold weather of course). I have lived in both UK and USA and will like information about life in Canada plus kids.
What should one prepare for, what should I expect and not expect? How easy is it to settle in and any other helpful advice.

I guess these question may have been asked and answered in previous pages but I will appreciate current info while I catch up.

Thank you in advance!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by browndegreat: 5:04pm On Aug 10, 2016
Good evening all, I have a first degree in elect/elect with 2.2 I intend doing a PGD in project management at conestoga college to make up for my 2.2. I want to do my masters in elect/elect after the PGD. Please will I be accepted to do the masters after the PGD
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by browndegreat: 7:16pm On Aug 10, 2016
browndegreat:
Good evening all, I have a first degree in elect/elect with 2.2 I intend doing a PGD in project management at conestoga college to make up for my 2.2. I want to do my masters in elect/elect after the PGD. Please will I be accepted to do the masters after the PGD

Please somebody should help me out
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oohunt: 3:13pm On Aug 11, 2016
It looks like his thread has been abandoned.
Justwise, any help please??
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by DereI(f): 6:33pm On Aug 11, 2016
Which bank in Nigeria can I pay Canadian University tuition from? What's the current Canadian dollar rate?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Kulllchi: 3:03am On Aug 13, 2016
wegga:
Hello Folks, I'll be heading to New Brunswick in January. Anybody there already, or going?
yess

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lekan282: 5:22am On Aug 14, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Laido: 12:43pm On Aug 14, 2016
Fhemmmy:

The cheapest would be to rent something close to the campus and sharing with other students.
But make sure you know how to cook, else, you will spend all you saving on eating out . . . or find a nice babe that will be coooking for you, but be careful, else, you will take a baby home with your certificate . . . If you are married, the advice is not applicable to you oh

Sup bro. How are you doing? Plz wanna ask this, R you currently in Canada?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Laido: 12:47pm On Aug 14, 2016
ifegy:
@Paschal137, no worries. By the way, it's sis, lol,
Hi sis. How are you doing? Plz I wanna ask this, are you currently in canada?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Laido: 12:54pm On Aug 14, 2016
ifegy:
Well, with regards to feeding, I live in another province, but the general rule is that it's cheaper to cook for yourself than to buy prepared food. Also, if you are going to be out during the day, for instance, attending classes, you'll save a lot of money if you make your own lunches (eg a sandwich and some fruit) instead of buying food from campus outlets.

If your school is offering your accommodation, I would suggest checking with them as to whether there are cooking facilities included.
If not, I would suggest asking if you can live elsewhere (ie somewhere of your choice, where you might have access to a kitchen).

Assuming you are able to cook for yourself, note that African food is more expensive here, so you should be open to trying new stuff. I would suggest avoiding convenience stores, as they are also expensive (you pay for the 'convenience' factor). I would suggest cooking for a week or couple of weeks and storing in a fridge.

It might be tough to stretch a $100 for a month, as I think the cost of living is higher in BC compared to other provinces. But you can always try.

For your grocery shopping, there are different types of grocery chains, from premium to less expensive. In my province, for instance, No Frills is a less expensive grocery chain, and they are also in British Columbia (BC). Some locations here are dingy, but some are surprisingly good and well stocked. You can get the same products as at a premium store for much less. There may be other similar, less expensive chains in BC. You can ask around. One thing to note is that the store brand for a product is almost always less expensive than the brand. So if there are several types of, say, olive oil, on a shelf in a no frills, I would suggest look for the no frills brand and compare the price to others on the shelf.

I'm planning to make my way to canada somedays. After my First degree. But the thing is I don't want to study immediately I get there. Wanna work first, Full time work. Don't mind any type of work. Tho would later study after making some money. Is it really possible ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.