Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,861 members, 7,798,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (532704 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oluseyi17(f): 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2016
shinarambo1:

Aspa the driver's license: If it's not an original driver's licence, a fine as high as $700 could be issued with court appearance+ban. There are lots of fakes circulating in Nigeria, hence anyone bringing a Nigeria driver's licence should make sure it's an original one i.e you were captured at the FRSC biodata capture centre, and it is a genuine issue by frsc. The authorities here have a machine that detects fakes easily and they share information with FRSC.

Please how much does it cost to get an international drivers license?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by erekilicious: 11:58pm On Sep 20, 2016
hi peeps, dont know if am in the right thread but if does anyone has anyone info on Simon Fraser and Manitoba university. Plz which one cheaper in terms of tuition, cost of living and availability of side jobs, scholarships etc, i wanna apply for MSc Computer Science, thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jasinto123(m): 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2016
Pls house help a brother , I have a flight to Canada on Sunday 25th , I am planning to stay for just a month.

But d issue I have now is that I don't have any friends or relatives to take me around over there , I don't mind paying for the accommodation for 1 month.

Plz any assistant you can contact me on WhatsApp via : +234 809 116 5320.

Plz don't mind my English
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 22, 2016
Please international students in Canada. Kindly help sign this petition and forward to other people in Canada to sign. It is to enable CIC give priority to international students when applying for PR.

McMaster GSA and CUPE3906 have initiated a Petition to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to give priority to International Graduate Students in the application process for Permanent Residency. The petition is now open for signature from everyone (Citizens, Permanent and Temporary Residents of Canada).

Please support by signing this petition at: https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-572

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by spores99(m): 11:46am On Sep 24, 2016
please house, i would like to know the range of amount paid for visa processing fee...i am applying through an agent...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by brizzleta: 12:17am On Sep 26, 2016
Am also looking for anybody already or just going to memorial university
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Ladon7: 10:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
Hello my good pple, pls I am a mother of 3,graduated with a 2.2 in 2005(industrial chemistry), have 5yrs work experience in a research institute, pls can I get master admission with my grade? , if yes which sch can I apply. Having it in my to go with my kids,then hubby can apply for spousal work permit later. Ur advice plssss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jpepper: 2:03pm On Sep 28, 2016
Ommyk:
Hello House,we(I and hubby) just got our passport stamped for PNP Novascotia.We would be leaving early next year.Any Nova Scotia resident here

Yeah, I am in novascotia

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Mandex11: 2:16pm On Sep 28, 2016
Hello every one in the house its my first time here please would like to know how is it like for those going to study,travelling with their kid(toddler). Please how's it like in general for those that have done it. Thanks and await your response
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Mandex11: 11:11pm On Sep 28, 2016
Please can i send you a mail regarding your 2yr old will b moving with mine want to know you did yours thanks
Nievel:
It's great to be here. Thanx to everyone for all the wonderful information shared here.

My family is discouraging me about picking a school in Toronto because it's busy and expensive like Lagos. I will be coming with my 2 year old daughter, will it be convenient to move around with public transport with her or I need to get a car?

Kindly help with your advice and also anything else that might help that i havent mentioned. Thank you .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by GodsPrincesss: 3:44pm On Sep 30, 2016
Oyeleye2011:
I believe you are talking about Okanagan college, Kelowna in British Columbia. If that is the college you are talking about. I am presently studying in the school. And what you need for admission into diploma program is just your O'Level result plus scratch card to verify the result, then you can add your transcript to give you an opportunity to transfer some courses but transcript is not compulsory for admission. Yes you have to pay non refundable admission fee to the school. Every student pay the fee. Also make sure you verified about the space in the program you are about to apply to because it may be full or has a limited space. That is the only reason you can be denied the admission and they will normally book you for the next admission. I wish you best of luck.

Hi. Please was it harder to get your student visa because you were going for a diploma in Canada? I have a bsc but intend to get a business diploma. I haven't heard much about this. Kindly help me with more information, Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by taiwo92(m): 7:49pm On Sep 30, 2016
pls I need a Nigerian studying at mun to chat with. pls and pls kindly reply ASAP.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by JUBILEE2000: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2016
Ladon7:
Hello my good pple, pls I am a mother of 3,graduated with a 2.2 in 2005(industrial chemistry), have 5yrs work experience in a research institute, pls can I get master admission with my grade? , if yes which sch can I apply. Having it in my to go with my kids,then hubby can apply for spousal work permit later. Ur advice plssss

Hi, u are in the same shoes with my wife. Currently processing admission for a diploma program though she made a 2.1 cos they say it's easier to get the admission than applying for a masters program. She also will be travelling with our 3 children. My only worry is how she will cope with the rigours of Canadian education and 3 children.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Mandex11: 10:18pm On Oct 03, 2016
Assistance please wink
Mandex11:
Hello every one in the house its my first time here please would like to know how is it like for those going to study,travelling with their kid(toddler). Please how's it like in general for those that have done it. Thanks and await your response
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nievel: 10:11am On Oct 06, 2016
Mandex11:
Assistance please wink

Hi mandex I sent you a message.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Mandex11: 10:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
Thanks @Nievel saw it. I tried repling you but it came back i guess i still dont know how to "PM" Wouldn't mind if you know any that might be of help.
Nievel:

Hi mandex I sent you a message.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by faskare: 10:41pm On Oct 06, 2016
JUBILEE2000:

Hi, u are in the same shoes with my wife. Currently processing admission for a diploma program though she made a 2.1 cos they say it's easier to get the admission than applying for a masters program. She also will be travelling with our 3 children. My only worry is how she will cope with the rigours of Canadian education and 3 children.

To be candid, it might be difficult for her to cope as she'll need to shuttle between her program and taking the kids to school. In my opinion, if it would be possible you can leave the kids behind maybe for a year instead of
traveling with them at once. Just a personal view

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by JUBILEE2000: 11:22pm On Oct 06, 2016
faskare:

To be candid, it might be difficult for her to cope as she'll need to shuttle between her program and taking the kids to school. In my opinion, if it would be possible you can leave the kids behind maybe for a year instead of
traveling with them at once. Just a personal view

Thanks a lot for ur suggestion but leaving the children behind is not an option for her. We are considering the option of getting a Nanny over there
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by weedbikers: 6:37am On Oct 07, 2016
CassetteBoy:

I'm at university of Toronto, masters in aerospace engineering.

hi. i saw your post on the driver's license and would like to find out something. Im a student in Mississauga currently and I was told at the drivers Testing place that i would need a letter from Nigerian embassy to get a full G license. My naija license was first issued 3 years ago. The Nigerian embassy (Ottawa) website lists 'driving records from FRSC' as the documents needed to apply for the letter. How do you get the records? do you know if they even exist?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by BeansAndBread(m): 5:44pm On Oct 11, 2016
Good day guys,

It's really nice reading through the thread. I'm a Mechanical Engineering 400lv student, I'm in my 1st semester and I'm to commence IT/SIWES(Industrial Attachment/Intern) by next year from February to September. I have a close family friend(he's like my uncle) who's also a Mechanical Engineer in Calgary and he said I could visit him and start my IT.

He's a Permanent Resident, but my question is. What kind of visa should I apply for and do engineering firms pay internship?

Thank you!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by jojcanada(f): 11:36pm On Oct 11, 2016
my fellow students
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CassetteBoy(m): 3:37am On Oct 12, 2016
presiade:

Hello!

It's good to know you are studying Aerospace Engineering.

I plan to apply for PhD position in Aerospace Engineering at Toronto and/or McGill during the next admission rounds. Any hints? How are the programs over there? Please take some time to explain things from your experience so far...

Thank you.

I thought I had responded to all mentions. Sorry for this late response. You can apply for PhD in either school. But it's a good thing to secure a professor as your research supervisor by sending emails to the ones that interest you until one accepts you. That way you may enjoy your education better.Canadian education is tasking, one must be committed. I'm doing MEng not research, probably can't be of more help to you...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CassetteBoy(m): 3:41am On Oct 12, 2016
weedbikers:

hi. i saw your post on the driver's license and would like to find out something. Im a student in Mississauga currently and I was told at the drivers Testing place that i would need a letter from Nigerian embassy to get a full G license. My naija license was first issued 3 years ago. The Nigerian embassy (Ottawa) website lists 'driving records from FRSC' as the documents needed to apply for the letter. How do you get the records? do you know if they even exist?

fam, Nigerian embassy is a disgrace. The usefulness of your Nigerian license is that you don't need to wait one year to get your g2 license, you can get it immediately you pass your g1. With the g2 license you can drive anywhere. That stupid letter from the embassy is not important. Just forget about them

if your license hasn't expired, just show the test center when registering... they'll note it in your details
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by BeansAndBread(m): 3:14pm On Oct 12, 2016
Good day guys,

It's really nice reading through the thread. I'm a Mechanical Engineering 400lv student, I'm in my 1st semester and I'm to commence IT/SIWES(Industrial Attachment/Intern) by next year from February to September. I have a close family friend(he's like my uncle) who's also a Mechanical Engineer in Calgary and he said I could visit him and start my IT.

He's a Permanent Resident, but my question is. What kind of visa should I apply for and do engineering firms pay internship?

Thank you!

Cc CassetteBoy embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by weedbikers: 7:22pm On Oct 12, 2016
CassetteBoy:

fam, Nigerian embassy is a disgrace. The usefulness of your Nigerian license is that you don't need to wait one year to get your g2 license, you can get it immediately you pass your g1. With the g2 license you can drive anywhere. That stupid letter from the embassy is not important. Just forget about them
if your license hasn't expired, just show the test center when registering... they'll note it in your details

So how do i get the G2 license without the letter? I passed my G1 yesterday and my naija license is valid till 2019
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CassetteBoy(m): 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2016
weedbikers:

So how do i get the G2 license without the letter? I passed my G1 yesterday and my naija license is valid till 2019

that's cool. just go and do a drive test. if you pass, you get your g2 immediately. embassy letter is useless
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CassetteBoy(m): 8:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
BeansAndBread:
Good day guys,

Thank you!

thanks for the mention, bro.
I'm relatively new here tbh. I haven't heard of people doing internship in Canada so far, just undergrad and masters.
If he's certain of getting you internship, let him send you an invitation letter with the letter head of the firm. If he can't do that, then he probably wants you to come as a visitor and sneak you in somehow. I really don't know much tbh... you can ask thesoj. He's intelligent and experienced in diaspora matters
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CassetteBoy(m): 8:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
BeansAndBread:

thanks for the mention, bro.
I'm relatively new here tbh. I haven't heard of people doing internship in Canada so far, just undergrad and masters.
If he's certain of getting you internship, let him send you an invitation letter with the letter head of the firm. If he can't do that, then he probably wants you to come as a visitor and sneak you in somehow. I really don't know much tbh... you can ask thesoj. He's intelligent and experienced in diaspora matters
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by browndegreat: 8:41pm On Oct 12, 2016
If someone does not meet the gpa requirement in a school for masters what does the person do over there in canada
CassetteBoy:

I thought I had responded to all mentions. Sorry for this late response. You can apply for PhD in either school. But it's a good thing to secure a professor as your research supervisor by sending emails to the ones that interest you until one accepts you. That way you may enjoy your education better.Canadian education is tasking, one must be committed. I'm doing MEng not research, probably can't be of more help to you...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omonjoe(m): 1:24am On Oct 13, 2016
For those that have sucessfully applied and gotten spousal work permit, please can you list the documents you used. Someone is seriously in need of it.

Is change of name mandatory for the woman?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CassetteBoy(m): 1:53am On Oct 13, 2016
browndegreat:
If someone does not meet the gpa requirement in a school for masters what does the person do over there in canada

i don't understand.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.