Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533225 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chaiks: 6:50pm On Jan 18, 2017
dogice:

Hello,

Most post secondary institution in Canada go with a scale of 4.00 (I know UToronto is outta 4) but technically speaking, you can convert to any scale you like. In this case, your overall CGPA will be [(4.49/5) x 4] = 3.59.

In order to calculate your last 2 years, it depends on the number of credit you took in each of these years. So assuming you took equal amount of credit courses for those 2 years (say 60 credit courses each), you can just scale down to a scale of 4 using the weighted average.

i.e. [(0.5 x 4.75) + (0.5 x 4.58)] = 4.665
then [(4.665/5) x 4] = 3.73
thank you for taking out time to clarify this.please concerning d last two yrs ,my transcript have total grade points as 157 and total credit units as 33 for the whole of third year and then total grade point of 160 and total credit units as 35 for the while of final year.please what I'll it now be in Canadian scale.I aprct.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by dogice(m): 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2017
chaiks:
thank you for taking out time to clarify this.please concerning d last two yrs ,my transcript have total grade points as 157 and total credit units as 33 for the whole of third year and then total grade point of 160 and total credit units as 35 for the while of final year.please what I'll it now be in Canadian scale.I aprct.

You'd still end up with approximately 3.73 outta 4.00. That's a very good GPA by the way.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chaiks: 9:14pm On Jan 18, 2017
dogice:

You'd still end up with approximately 3.73 outta 4.00. That's a very good GPA by the way.
thanks brother.I appreciate ur input.based on this,I feel it will be cool to identify schools that I'll use the last two years of undergrad as a basis for calculating and giving admission or grant.please do you know schools DAT normally use d last two yrs order Dan d whole yr of d transcript.again,do you feel one can qualify for funding with sth of D's nature even if its a low profile school?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by dogice(m): 10:58pm On Jan 18, 2017
chaiks:
thanks brother.I appreciate ur input.based on this,I feel it will be cool to identify schools that I'll use the last two years of undergrad as a basis for calculating and giving admission or grant.please do you know schools DAT normally use d last two yrs order Dan d whole yr of d transcript.again,do you feel one can qualify for funding with sth of D's nature even if its a low profile school?

Bro, your GPA is fine either way, though I understand that you really want to capitalize on your last two years since your grades are even better which makes perfect sense. When I applied for my Masters, UofT used my last two years but I had to submit my full transcript. You might have to research what the schools want specifically as I do not know for individual schools.

As per funding, it depends on so many factors such as your grades, letter of intent, your program of study, your connection with the professors etc. Also, funding could be in form of a research grant, teaching Assistantship, scholarship etc.

And btw, a low profile school does not necessarily mean an easy way to funding, you only have a higher chance of securing an admission. Most times the bigger schools have more connection with companies, government agencies and all and you'd except these organization to invest in the bigger schools for their research program rather than the smaller schools therefore, these schools have more access to money. So in short, funding is never sure but you can increase your chances by writing a badass Letter of Intent, very professional resume and do GRE.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lightdream: 2:36pm On Jan 19, 2017
Please anyone to help confirm these:
I will like to know if schools in canada could accept my evaluation for Msc program.
With my canada equivalent to 3.48cgpa (Diploma three year, post graduate certificate(one year).
Though i have multiple admission for graduate certificate in colleges. Please i just want to be sure for the MSc program. Your reply will be appreciated.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Patrick2go: 7:33pm On Jan 19, 2017
deedat205:

They have replied my mail.
Thanks a million. I really appreciate that

Hi,
In the School's response to you, was it stated that you are exempted from submitting an English proficiency test score being that you are Nigerian?
Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by studyincanada18(m): 4:27am On Jan 21, 2017
lightdream:
Please anyone to help confirm these:
I will like to know if schools in canada could accept my evaluation for Msc program.
With my canada equivalent to 3.48cgpa (Diploma three year, post graduate certificate(one year).
Though i have multiple admission for graduate certificate in colleges. Please i just want to be sure for the MSc program. Your reply will be appreciated.

I believe your question is that you would like to know if you can get an admission into a Masters program in Canada with your qualifications. If so, I would like to know what masters program you plan to apply for, what type of masters program (M.Sc, MEng, MBA, etc), What program did you study in your diploma and your certification and what graduate certification admission did you get?.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chaiks: 7:42am On Jan 21, 2017
dogice:

Bro, your GPA is fine either way, though I understand that you really want to capitalize on your last two years since your grades are even better which makes perfect sense. When I applied for my Masters, UofT used my last two years but I had to submit my full transcript. You might have to research what the schools want specifically as I do not know for individual schools.

As per funding, it depends on so many factors such as your grades, letter of intent, your program of study, your connection with the professors etc. Also, funding could be in form of a research grant, teaching Assistantship, scholarship etc.

And btw, a low profile school does not necessarily mean an easy way to funding, you only have a higher chance of securing an admission. Most times the bigger schools have more connection with companies, government agencies and all and you'd except these organization to invest in the bigger schools for their research program rather than the smaller schools therefore, these schools have more access to money. So in short, funding is never sure but you can increase your chances by writing a badass Letter of Intent, very professional resume and do GRE.

thank u bro for this notification.my intended course of study is international development studies.pure international relations follows or related areas like peace and conflict.now,will I have to write GRE for these courses coupled with English tests ?I understand now uni Toronto uses d last two years.are there bother ones you know?I v been trying to search tru nairaland but only saw one unisaskachewan.pls where you admitted when you applied and did they give you scholarship?just wanted to know how to organize myself so that this yr I'll not be a waste.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lightdream: 8:32am On Jan 21, 2017
studyincanada18:

I believe your question is that you would like to know if you can get an admission into a Masters program in Canada with your qualifications. If so, I would like to know what masters program you plan to apply for, what type of masters program (M.Sc, MEng, MBA, etc), What program did you study in your diploma and your certification and what graduate certification admission did you get?.

Thank you. its for master in Mechanical or power Engr .i have an HND in Mechanical Engr.
WES assess and Evaluated my credentials and made these resolution: Canada equivalent to 3.48cgpa (Diploma three year, post graduate certificate(one year).
i just need to know if am fit in for master program.i just want to be sure of these.Trust to appreciate feedback.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by studyincanada18(m): 3:56pm On Jan 21, 2017
lightdream:

Thank you. its for master in Mechanical or power Engr .i have an HND in Mechanical Engr.
WES assess and Evaluated my credentials and made these resolution: Canada equivalent to 3.48cgpa (Diploma three year, post graduate certificate(one year).
i just need to know if am fit in for master program.i just want to be sure of these.Trust to appreciate feedback.

For most masters of engineering program in Canada need at least a bachelors degree and a 2nd class upper to get admitted into the school,however you might be able to get into a masters of engineering program if you take some undergraduate courses. The best option for you is to contact the school which you might be interested in .however i have a couple of friends in the masters program in Canada,i might contact them for you to make inquires and let you know.Another thing you should also look into is a diploma in power engineering in Canada ,those guys are really hotcake in terms of job prospect.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lightdream: 6:50pm On Jan 21, 2017
studyincanada18:

For most masters of engineering program in Canada need at least a bachelors degree and a 2nd class upper to get admitted into the school,however you might be able to get into a masters of engineering program if you take some undergraduate courses. The best option for you is to contact the school which you might be interested in .however i have a couple of friends in the masters program in Canada,i might contact them for you to make inquires and let you know.Another thing you should also look into is a diploma in power engineering in Canada ,those guys are really hotcake in terms of job prospect.
First. For the undergraduate course taken is it after one got admit for master.
Is HND not way higher than diploma or do u mean Graduate diploma?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by studyincanada18(m): 12:22am On Jan 22, 2017
lightdream:

First. For the undergraduate course taken is it after one got admit for master.
Is HND not way higher than diploma or do u mean Graduate diploma?

well it could be either ways, some schools might require you to take the courses during your masters program while some might suggest you have to take the extra courses before admission would be offered, that is why you have to deal with the schools on an individual basis . As for the HND, it depends on the evaluation done by WES.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lightdream: 11:43am On Jan 22, 2017
studyincanada18:

well it could be either ways, some schools might require you to take the courses during your masters program while some might suggest you have to take the extra courses before admission would be offered, that is why you have to deal with the schools on an individual basis . As for the HND, it depends on the evaluation done by WES.
My WES evaluation is 3.48cgpa (Diploma three year, post graduate certificate(one year).pls do you have school you could recommend.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by studyincanada18(m): 2:40am On Jan 23, 2017
[quote author=lightdream post=53026551]
My WES evaluation is 3.48cgpa (Diploma three year, post graduate certificate(one year).pls do you have school you could recommend. [/quoty

Hi, Like i said earlier since you dont have a bachelor's degree,it's best to get in touch with the schools to find out what is required of you but i can help you make some calls and get in touch with a couple of schools since i reside in canada and also would ask my friends who are in masters program and let you know.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lightdream: 6:11pm On Jan 23, 2017
[quote author=studyincanada18 post=53047123][/quote]
Thanks to appreciate your feedback.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by yorex2011: 2:38pm On Jan 24, 2017
ceemac:

Bros, I need an assistance from you... will send you a PM
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by DanielUC(m): 12:17am On Feb 03, 2017
Fellow nairalanders, please I would like to know if there are NAIT students on this platform. I would like to connect with them...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by udi2111: 8:29pm On Feb 04, 2017
Hello gurus in the house, please can someone kindly give me a breakdown of how form A works irrespective of tuition fees payment.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Kayman358(m): 10:40am On Feb 05, 2017
maestro09:
I'm going for my masters in software engineering and intelligent systems at the university of Alberta this year. Please I would like to know the job opportunities for me after I'm through. Thanks @ dogice

Hi bro I have just started my application for the same course, I will appreciate any information that can assist in my application, so that I won't get bounced.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by yungreezy: 5:46pm On Feb 05, 2017
Kayman358:

Hi bro I have just started my application for the same course, I will appreciate any information that can assist in my application, so that I won't get bounced.
This would be helpful . I hope the deadline for September 2017 hasn't passed.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Pillyportions(f): 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2017
Good day.... I studied social work and i want to further by doing my masters in canada... Pls i dnt knw hw to go about it... If there is any one doing their masters program in social work in canada ,,, pls help me out.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CanadianNurse: 9:14pm On Feb 05, 2017
Pillyportions:
Good day.... I studied social work and i want to further by doing my masters in canada... Pls i dnt knw hw to go about it... If there is any one doing their masters program in social work in canada ,,, pls help me out.
I will advise you do a little research on Google so that the advice you get here will just be complimentary.... Also refer your question to this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3315266/travelling-canada-part-11/354
But the outline will just be
1-get admission
2-seek for professors if applicable
3-pay part or full fees if no funding
4-apply for trv with the advice you will get from here

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by studyincanada18(m): 1:11am On Feb 06, 2017
lightdream:

Thanks to appreciate your feedback.

Been way for a while,so i just emailed some schools in canada today on your behalf.just waiting for their reply.

thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mrjerrfrac(m): 1:30am On Feb 06, 2017
What about some1 that is coming to do business? advice pls
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hardehbayor112(m): 11:35am On Feb 06, 2017
[quote author=jojcanada post=50305985]
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Babmutini: 5:06pm On Feb 06, 2017
Bosses..
I have been following up ur posts
Pls i would like to know the meaning of 6 credit per hour and how would i be able to use it to calculate my total tution fees in a year...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hardehbayor112(m): 12:36pm On Feb 07, 2017
dogice:

How do you plan to sponsor you education since you said your dad would sponsor your trip. Canada allows working up to 20hrs/week during school session and full time after school session. So you'd need to have some money to pay your bills and tuition. Hustling can't cover everything but I feel you bro.

With your Mechanical Engineering Diploma, you have limitless options, you could do IT, Engineering or Business related certifications in a cheap college. Like a 1 year program that aint too expensive. You can school for a semester (4 months), hustle during the 4 months break, save up and complete your last semester. You can even work longer to save up more money. That's an option for you there.

But at the end of the day, you need to proof to the embassy that you have enough money to sustain yourself without working. That's left to you to figure out. You don't need to know anybody in Canada to survive. I moved here when I was a teenager and I knew nobody.
Hello bros, do you know anything about the canadian apprenticeship program
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Quad2100(m): 4:18pm On Feb 07, 2017
please i need sum1 to put me through,i am thru with my nysc and i want to go for my masters in canada and work there after my m.sc and hopefully live in canada.i have a cgpa 2.79 b.sc banking and finance.i wud welcome advice and guidelines from people with enough details
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mzjennypher(f): 4:52pm On Feb 07, 2017
shinarambo1:

Thanks for the reply. Civil Engineering seems to be doing well compared to other engineering discipline. If I was to do it again, I would most likely go the Civil route. its quite hard to find an unemployed Civil Engineer even in Nigeria or the UK. There skills are easily tranferrable. I have met a few Civil Engineers working for consulting firms in Sask, and they originally moved here
from Ontario. Why they moved, I do not know, but I am guessing too much competition might be driving down wages in Ontario. I believe Ontario has one of the lowest wages in the country. I have heard of some highlh skilles health profession even making up to $15 less an hour compared to their colleauges in some other provinces.

I do not dispute the fact that there are professional jobs. What i meant is that professional jobs in Canada are just as competitive as it is in the UK. I worked and lived in both countries. Unlike your friend, alot of engineers in Alberta and Sask cannot easily pack their bags, families, investment e.t.c and move all the way to Ontario...Even If they do, the engineering job market in ontario would quickly become more competitive due to oversaturation. Some of the skills and experienced gained in the oil sands are not also easily transferrable to Ontario's manufacturing industry. Let us also be hopeful that the orangatuan elected in the US does not tear apart the NAFTA agreenent. If he carries out his threat, it would create a huge loss of jobs in the Canadian auto industry.

@shinarambo1 Please what are the opporunites available for those who studied education. i want to apply for pr but its taking long so am thinking the study route. i studied education during my undergraduate and currently work with a bank. i was tinking of applying for an education course in simon fraser cos its cheap. pls what are my chances after my study

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Misterdhee1(m): 8:55pm On Feb 07, 2017
Hi gurus. Please what is the prospect of someone interested in having his Masters in Economics in Canada? Is the field lucrative in the country?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:00am On Feb 08, 2017
mzjennypher:

@shinarambo1 Please what are the opporunites available for those who studied education. i want to apply for pr but its taking long so am thinking the study route. i studied education during my undergraduate and currently work with a bank. i was tinking of applying for an education course in simon fraser cos its cheap. pls what are my chances after my study
I dont know anything about education.

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.