Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533267 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hadeytee: 11:29am On Jul 06, 2017
chime11:
please house,are there schools that accepts payments in installments?

Yeah, The Canadian college . you pay per semester
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by swaqq(m): 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2017
Pls house, is it compulsory for me to pay the full tuition here in Nigeria, what percentage may be required by any school to be paid before Visa interview, thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by loisella(f): 2:09am On Jul 08, 2017
ceemac:

Bros, I need an assistance from you... will send you a PM
Will need ur advice
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 3:31am On Jul 08, 2017
loisella:

Will need ur advice

Bring it on. . I can help provided is something I'm knowledgeable about.. Ciao
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Justiyke4u: 11:17am On Jul 08, 2017
Please I saw this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3273411/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant and it was closed and reference made to this present one. I think this is an error as the two threads have no relationships. This one for settling down as a student while the other is as an immigrant. I have not seen any information here that answers the query raised in the other one
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by yettyopy(f): 12:50pm On Jul 08, 2017
Justiyke4u:
Please I saw this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3273411/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant and it was closed and reference made to this present one. I think this is an error as the two threads have no relationships. This one for settling down as a student while the other is as an immigrant. I have not seen any information here that answers the query raised in the other one

You are very right . I just moved to Toronto 3 months ago and am very eager to share my experience especially with mums like myself but I can't find a thread that discusses that.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Justiyke4u: 1:01pm On Jul 08, 2017
yettyopy:

You are very right . I just moved to Toronto 3 months ago and am very eager to share my experience especially with mums like myself but I can't find a thread that discusses that.
you see and many others trying to know more about settling would have benefited a lot from your experience
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ajibolag(m): 3:03pm On Jul 08, 2017
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Osemigho: 7:14pm On Jul 08, 2017
From student thread, student visa approved and I am heading to calgary. Anyone there?

Also, anyone know if I can pursue inland express entry upon landing?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by SlowlybtSurely: 5:22am On Jul 10, 2017
yettyopy:

Please share here. Some of us are eager to learn. https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Tsquare2016: 3:59pm On Jul 12, 2017
Good Afternoon to everyone over here and thumbs up to the person who created a forum like this, it really helps a lot of people both within and outside the country.May God continue to bless all of you over here and all your heart desire shall come to pass in Jesus name.

My question now is, am a guy planning to study in canada but with no degree qualification, have got OND certificate in computer Science(2011) from one of the federal polytechnic with 6 year experience as a computer Technician, have work in both private and govt institution and am still working uptill now with a govt institution.
My main problem is am 34 years of age, will i be able to qualify for a study visa at canadian embassy if apply and wont i be denied visa due to my age(34 yrs).
Which course must apply for in canada colleges due to my OND certificate so that i may qualify for study visa.

Please everyone should help your brother here, i really need your advise, God bless you all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CanadianNurse: 11:04pm On Jul 12, 2017
Finally got my tickets to Winnipeg
Royal Air Maroc

Lagos to Casablanca (royal air Maroc)

Casablanca to Montreal(royal air Maroc)

Montréal to Winnipeg (Air Canada)

Now my question is

Where do I get my study permit?
Do I have to get my luggage at Montreal and check it into air Canada?

AGAIN WHICH IS MY POINT OF ENTRY WHERE I GET MY STUDY PERMIT MONTREAL OR WINNIPEG?

CC: dogice Chimah3
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chimah3(m): 10:50am On Jul 13, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Royal Air Maroc

Now my question is

AGAIN WHICH IS MY POINT OF ENTRY WHERE I GET MY STUDY PERMIT MONTREAL OR WINNIPEG?

My dear i do not really know about Canada! But from other countries I've been to, your permit is issued at your first point of entry before your connecting flight!

Assuming you never buy your ticket, i for advise you to leave those Quebec people cus their serenre can be extra atimes!

Anyway nothing spoil! I hope those with more experience can shed more light on this. I also hope you have layover time before your last flight when you land in Montreal just in case that is where you are to process your permit?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Tooyy: 4:38pm On Jul 13, 2017
yettyopy:

pls create a new page....very much interested sis.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 6:01am On Jul 19, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Royal Air Maroc

Now my question is

Your study permit process is gonna be at Montreal, it is usually not a difficult process and all things being equal with less people, you should be done in 15mins. Do well to process it there otherwise you may miss it..
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ARCHITECTs(m): 5:34am On Jul 25, 2017
Hi chimah3, Yes am heading to Kitchener in August, attending Conestoga College.
chimah3:
Anyone in/heading to kitchener/waterloo region??
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chimah3(m): 6:55am On Jul 25, 2017
ARCHITECTs:
Hi chimah3, Yes am heading to Kitchener in August, attending Conestoga College.

Nice...Sending you a DM!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Ayoola03(f): 9:27pm On Jul 25, 2017
Hello house, please who is currently studying at UWO or living in London and can help me out with a few days accommodation just to sort out my own accommodation before resumption date. Preferably female . I will be staying with my family in Toronto when I land in august and will love to come down to London few days after my arrival to sort out accommodation Issh before fall start term.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by amii131(f): 1:22am On Jul 30, 2017
For anyone considering studying in Edmonton Alberta at schools such as NAIT or The University of Alberta, as someone who lives here I can give some insight on some of the cost of living expenses.

An apartment here can be quite expensive , with a 1 bedroom starting at about $850 up to $1300 a month, plus utilities. A room can be had for about $500+. There are some areas in the north east and south east that should be avoided due to street crime from crack cocaine and methamphetamine abuse. Though rents there can be much more affordable.

The cheapest grocery store is No Frills. Though if on a limited budget I'd recommend buying food at Giant Tiger / dollar stores. African foods can be found along 107 avenue just north of downtown. If you're Muslim halal foods can be found throughout the city, and there are masjids in all areas of the city.

Winter here can get brutal with temps dipping to -20c - -30c with wind chills. I'd recommend a quality winter jacket and a warm hat. Kijji is a good place to find rentals, avoid craigslist as it's stacked deep with scammers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by stanford123(m): 7:19am On Jul 31, 2017
Good day great people of this reputation forum the likes of justwise ,this my not be the best place for my write up but i need candid advice please.My name is Stanford ,39yrs of age from Rivers state ,married with kids.

Hopeful, I will be done with my PhD degree program in geoscience by November 2017. I have the intention of settling outside the country as a lecturer or geoscientist (i have got about 10yrs industrial experience including offshore experience) and relocating my family as soon as possible but lack the financial muscle to achieve it though my wife has been working for couple of years,her financial strength is just good enough for the family up keep.The storm in the oil and gas sector in 2015 affected my job so I started the PhD degree program ....I need advice on

1 The best way to leave the country (student visa or...)for my dream after my degree program.

2 The best county to relocate to,where getting my family over will be quicker

3 What do we think of a post doctorial research job or another PhD degree program while lecturing?

4 How about scholarship for international students?
Thanks to you all in advance....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by judebebo32: 2:42pm On Jul 31, 2017
Anyone living in Saskatoon that is willing to accommodate me for 6days from August 24-29th.
I will be coming August 24th, unfortunately school hostel opens August 30th.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 3:42am On Aug 02, 2017
stanford123:
Good day great people of this reputation forum the likes of justwise ,this my not be the best place for my write up but i need candid advice please.My name is Stanford ,39yrs of age from Rivers state ,married with kids.

Hopeful, I will be done with my PhD degree program in geoscience by November 2017. I have the intention of settling outside the country as a lecturer or geoscientist (i have got about 10yrs industrial experience including offshore experience) and relocating my family as soon as possible but lack the financial muscle to achieve it though my wife has been working for couple of years,her financial strength is just good enough for the family up keep.The storm in the oil and gas sector in 2015 affected my job so I started the PhD degree program ....I need advice on

1 The best way to leave the country (student visa or...)for my dream after my degree program.

2 The best county to relocate to,where getting my family over will be quicker

3 What do we think of a post doctorial research job or another PhD degree program while lecturing?

4 How about scholarship for international students?
Thanks to you all in advance....

My advice will be to try the Express Entry in Canada and the Federal Skilled program in Australia.. Those two countries can fly with your experience, I really don't have details about it so you could just check up online for all available details and make up your mind on which or both to process..
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 3:45am On Aug 02, 2017
Ayoola03:
Hello house, please who is currently studying at UWO or living in London and can help me out with a few days accommodation just to sort out my own accommodation before resumption date. Preferably female . I will be staying with my family in Toronto when I land in august and will love to come down to London few days after my arrival to sort out accommodation Issh before fall start term.

I'm happy you are coming to UWO, I presently school there but unfortunately I am a guy and don't meet your description but I won't mind helping anyway that I can..

Please bring foodstuffs oo.. I will collect some Naija packaged ones off you.. Did I remember to mention that I have missed gala and meaty, abeg bring come ooo.. lol

Wish you safe flight, I will be happy to see you around!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Propene: 10:06am On Aug 02, 2017
Manweysabi:
Hi @eduson002, i've made an online application to Memorial University Newfoundland today and i'll be paying my application fee tomorrow. 'trying to collect my transcript and appraisal letters in my school. Maybe we can rob minds and share ideas/experiences.

Hello, i sent you a mail, kindly check. I will like to get your first hand opinion on Memorial University Newfoundland, i am looking at applying for a Graduate studies.

Awaiting your response. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by amnotapervert(m): 5:30am On Aug 03, 2017
Good Day everyone,

Anyone going to the university of Windsor Sep 2017.

Any information (Tips) on accommodation, Job. e.t.c will be helpful.

This will be my first time going to Canada. Thank You
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 03, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Royal Air Maroc

Now my question is

pls how much does it cost you? mean total cost
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Ayoola03(f): 9:43am On Aug 03, 2017
Thanks for the reponse @ceemac I just sent you a pm

ceemac:

I'm happy you are coming to UWO, I presently school there but unfortunately I am a guy and don't meet your description but I won't mind helping anyway that I can..

Please bring foodstuffs oo.. I will collect some Naija packaged ones off you.. Did I remember to mention that I have missed gala and meaty, abeg bring come ooo.. lol

Wish you safe flight, I will be happy to see you around!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CanadianNurse: 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2017
Surdycole2:

pls how much does it cost you? mean total cost
400k but depends on time of booking and some other factors though
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 03, 2017
CanadianNurse:
400k but depends on time of booking and some other factors though
woow thanks..... so u mean #1million will be enough for me

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.