Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,193 members, 7,780,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:28 PM

Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola (561 Views)

Our Mechatronic Village , First Of Its Kind In Nigeria – Aregbesola / I Have No Plan To "Islamise" Osun State Or Secede From Nigeria - Aregbesola / Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola by koruji(m): 4:12am On Feb 06, 2012
Once again Nigeria is being called to listen to the voice of reason. Let's talk and fix what is wrong with our house rather than turn a blind eye until it collapses suddenly and totally on us all.

Quote: “Are we not daring fate? We may have gone beyond the tolerance threshold and if care is not taken, we stand the grave risk of plunging the nation into a catastrophe by obdurately clinging to a system that is beyond salvage.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/opponents-of-national-conference-enemies-of-nigeria-aregbesola/

February 6, 2012 by Sunday Aborisade 9 Comments

Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola, has labelled opponents of the Sovereign National Conference being advocated by some politicians and human rights activists enemies of the country.

Aregbesola stated this on Saturday at the golden anniversary celebration of the Anglican Grammar School, Arigidi Akoko, Ondo State where he inaugurated some projects and a N50m development fund for his alma mater.

The governor insisted that the convocation of the SNC remained the best way to determine the continued existence of Nigeria.

He said, “We must embark immediately on sovereign National Conference. While we are the same in our essential humanity, we are different as a people – with different, history, world view, cultural practices and I daresay at different levels of civilisation.

“These differences are showing every day and posing a grave danger to our union. Sovereign national conference is not and has never been a call for the dissolution of Nigeria.

“What is necessary and which we are asking for is the negotiation of the terms of our union. Those who foreclosed the negotiation of our union are the real enemies of the country.

“We must commence this national conference without delay if we are to save the country from inevitable untoward consequences.”

Aregbesola added, “We are a plural society with many nations within the Nigerian nation. On many occasions in the past, we have got to the brink and miraculously returned. We have thus stretched our luck too far to the point of taking it for granted.

“Are we not daring fate? We may have gone beyond the tolerance threshold and if care is not taken, we stand the grave risk of plunging the nation into a catastrophe by obdurately clinging to a system that is beyond salvage.”

The governor said education played a major role in helping the society renew itself and creation of wealth wealth.

He called for the investment in education in the country, saying educated people are more likely to succeed in life, adding that they are more amenable to peace and less likely to be predisposed to violence.

Aregbesola, who donated an Information and Communication Technology Centre named after Chief Bola Tinubu to his former school, explained that the donation became necessary in view of the fact that “computer has actually become the centre of the universe.”

He said, “Everything today is about the computer, whichever way it is presented as a desktop, laptop, tablet and handheld device.

“It is interesting now that even artisans like mechanics need the computer to diagnose problems with cars and find solutions to them. Architects and draughtsmen now use the computer to design precision houses.”
Re: Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola by ektbear: 4:32am On Feb 06, 2012

He said, “We must embark immediately on sovereign National Conference. While we are the same in our essential humanity, we are different as a people – with different, history, world view, cultural practices and I daresay at different levels of civilisation.

Lmao. I kind of wish he hadn't said bolded.

As for the rest of his statements, on point.
Re: Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola by karfe(m): 7:51am On Feb 06, 2012
I have three concerns about the SNC:

1. How the delegates or participants will be chosen
2. What will be different between this conference and all the others we have been having
3. Who will set the agenda for the conference? President? National Assembly? If either, there would be no need for the conference

If at all it is ever held, I have so many things I would want discussed, including the unity of this country
Re: Opponents Of National Conference, Enemies Of Nigeria – Aregbesola by hercules07: 7:56am On Feb 06, 2012
The owners of Nigeria do not want any kind of sovereign national conference, the owners are PDP guys, I suggest we start thinking of changing the bloody constitution into a federal one instead of a unitary one, that might be easier to do than sovereign national conference.

(1) (Reply)

Fg To Spend 3.1b On Past Leaders In 2012 / Queen Elizabeth Celebrates 60 Years On Throne / Get Up ! You Lazy Intelligent African Scum ! This Article Is The Best I've Read In A Long While.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.