Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,088 members, 7,807,249 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com (4443 Views)

Fintech Collaborators Needed / Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 2:53pm On Feb 06, 2012
A while ago last year, I wrote http://occupy9ja.com/ (twitter: @occupy9ja & @occupynigeria) which was quite a coincidence; shortly after I finished the project, an unrelated movement #OccupyNigeria came up -- long story short, the site is becoming a slow planning hub for the online movement.

I built the site intentionally simple, an would most like maintain that paradigm. I'm wanting to expand on the project but I'm strain on time (and maybe motivation?), I'm seeking kind folks to join the project, in what ever way you can.

And for folks just sinking their teeth into web dev or social coding, this might be a good way we can all collaboratively make/join the change in our country.

I think it'd be fun and absolutely non-intimidating -- even if you don't code, you can help in others ways in the project (#OccupyNigeria)

What you need:
A Github account: http://github.com
A Cloud9 account: http://c9.io/

Please help me out. Thanks oh smiley
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 9:02pm On Feb 07, 2012
Wel i guess if you are making the project open source then I could pop in a few times with some issues or pull requests cheesy
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 9:40pm On Feb 07, 2012
Yup it is, active pulls are appreciated. I'm looking for folks wanting to devote (at least for a while) to the project.

If you care to look around: https://github.com/delomos/occupy9ja

thanks in advance.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 2:28am On Mar 06, 2012
For some reason I developed interest in this today! What do you want the site/app to be? Do you want to make it a proper #OccupyNigeria site? You might want to 'detail' this information in your README.md. Also, are you open to a change in technology?

LMAOO!!!
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Kobojunkie: 2:34am On Mar 06, 2012
@Poster, count me in. If it is in a language I understand, I can definitely start coding asap, so let me know what tasks are available. If not in a language I understand, I would like to ask then if you have thought about SOA? grin
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 4:22am On Mar 06, 2012
@kobojunkie: review the code on github (https://github.com/delomos/occupy9ja) and see if you understand what's happening there. And, what's SOA?

@Fayimora: I don't know if you reviewed the code on GH yet, but the current stack's CSS/HTML/JS/PHP (I'm guessing you're going to suggest RoR <-- which I'm sure open to, then I can have an "excuse" to do something in that framework)

As you can see, I have a terrible sense of humor, and an issue there is twitter's API is limited to 150 calls/hr (though that's really a bug -- or feature?).

Yes, I want it to be a proper #OccupyNigeria site? If you tell what technologies you're interested in, (iI' quite flexible, it's important that c9.io supports that language though), and seriously want to work on it, fork it, and I'd update the Readme (by the way, the development will generally work around "stories"wink.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Mar 06, 2012
As I mentioned earlier, are you open to SOA? At this time, I am not in anyway open to learning PHP. And from where I seat, I believe the site as is will benefit greatly, especially in the long run, from you decoupling much of the heavy processing from the client. That way it does not get bogged down in the near future as more and more functionality is added.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Beaf: 7:03pm On Mar 06, 2012
What a cheap way to ask for awuf work. angry angry angry

The current single page site doesn't even do anything (aside from change link colours). The CSS is even phucked.

Really saddening.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 7:20pm On Mar 06, 2012
@Delomos YES! Ruby on Rails. You app has to be RESTFUL(if what I think it is is correct) and you would agree with me that there isin't any better alternative. Ok maybe Rails is too heavy and you would be looking at Padrino or Sinatra but looking at the long run, it's the best choice *plus* I might just host it for you cheesy

Finally, whats with you and c9?? I just used that site a few times(to see how it works) and never used it for a project. I mean we can do all we need to do with github. In terms of stories, why so serious? lol Anyways, here is what am thinking, in terms of functionality:

Proper simple layout, not too much to load.
Responsive design!
Very RESTFUL. .
A few things about the user interaction in terms of Javascript stuff but we dont have to worry abut that *for now*.

@Beaf lmaooo I will soon cut you into pieces
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 10:53pm On Mar 06, 2012
Fayimora:

[font=Courier][size=10pt]
@Delomos YES! Ruby on Rails. You app has to be RESTFUL (if what I think it is is correct) and you would agree with me that there isin't any better alternative. Ok maybe Rails is too heavy and you would be looking at Padrino or Sinatra but looking at the long run, it's the best choice *plus* I might just host it for you cheesy <== #1

Finally, whats with you and c9?? <== #2 I just used that site a few times(to see how it works) and never used it for a project. I mean we can do all we need to do with github. In terms of stories, why so serious? <== #3 lol Anyways, here is what am thinking, in terms of functionality:

Proper simple layout, not too much to load. |
Responsive design! |===> #4
Very RESTFUL. . |

A few things about the user interaction in terms of Javascript stuff but we dont have to worry abut that *for now*. <== #5

#1. that's always good, can't afford paying for a rails hosting ATM.
#2. it's an easier way to collaborate and code, github only does version control, on C9, one can review code and do "virtual" mini-scrums.
#3. when i think of rails, i think of rspec, and it makes me think of stories, but maybe not so serious (and generally it's a slightly more formal way to track what's done and what needs be done) ,
#4. iLike, generally:
#5: that will split the project into front-end and back-end -- if you think you can handle the "MC" part of the equation, I can focus on crafting a View.

If RoR is the way, the following could work: RoR {backend}, HAML, SCSS, and Javascript (native, jQuery and Raphaël) {frontend}
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 12:15am On Mar 07, 2012
Yeah I can host it for you, with certain conditions of course. . .lol

What happened to Github issues? Pull requests? I mean if you had said something like Basecamp or Pivotal tracker then I would have understood. I think Github is more than enough. Feel free to explain your reasons though, I might not be looking at it from the right angle.

I can't really use HAMl **closes his face in shame** I know as a rails developer I should but I havent had time to learn it properly.

Yeah when you develop apps in Rails and you follow the testing conventions, you are pretty much using stories. Write failing test, write enough code to make it pass, refactor code cheesy

Raphaël looks like a cool library. If the app gets javascript heavy then we would fall on Backbone.

I'm currently BUSY though. I should be bit free in 2 weeks, however I have exams in May so would be preparing for that. To be honest, it wouldn't take me more than weekend to have a fully functional, tested and properly cached and scaled backend so it might be worth the wait.

Have you worked on any rails project, public or private? If yes, of what complexity?

#OccupyNigeria
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 12:40am On Mar 07, 2012
Github issues it is (I had PT in mind) but for this intent and purpose, GI will do.

HAML is actaully even simpler than HTML or ERB, I'm sure you can pick it up in like few minutes, when I'm wondering if something's possible I just pop to the documentation.

And yes, if you're proposing a full-scale JS framework, Spine.js is even a sweeter one* --

Raphael is the sh##t, especially if you're trying to lie with numbers -- anyways, rails oh rails, what I've I done with thee,  nothing serious or with any level of serious complexity; generally just enough to see if its worth pursuing for more serious study (wasn't, for me) ---

*i'm indeed baised, backbone is quite sweet
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Kobojunkie: 6:08am On Mar 07, 2012
hm . . . I am already having a rethink. Is this some sort of project for you . . I mean your way of learning a new framework/language, or is this really about getting a real Occupy Nigeria movement online??
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 6:28am On Mar 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

hm . . . I am already having a rethink. Is this some sort of project for you . . I mean your way of learning a new framework/language<== #1, or is this really about getting a real Occupy Nigeria movement online <== #2??

#1. No.
#2. Yes. The site's already had people signed up and are doing grass-root rallying, a way to strengten things.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Kobojunkie: 2:18pm On Mar 07, 2012
You may want to check your other comments on this same thread, and then come back with a better response to number #1. I am more interested in the cause (Occupy Nigeria), not getting involved with someone's school project or some personal tick to learn yet another language with some misinformed notion that it is somehow better than what already is.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 2:22pm On Mar 07, 2012
Oi oi what exactly is your deal? 
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You may want to check your other comments on this same thread, and then come back with a better response to number #1. I am more interested in the cause (Occupy Nigeria), not getting involved with someone's school project or some personal tick to learn yet another language with some misinformed notion that it is somehow better than what already is.
^^Please quote the post you're refering to I'm rather curious where I inferred this, [snippet ] my original post:
delomos:

A while ago last year, I wrote http://occupy9ja.com/ (twitter: @occupy9ja & @occupynigeria) which was quite a coincidence; shortly after I finished the project, an unrelated movement #OccupyNigeria came up -- long story short, the site is becoming a slow planning hub for the online movement.

I built the site intentionally simple, an would most like maintain that paradigm. I'm wanting to expand on the project but I'm strain on time (and maybe motivation?), I'm seeking kind folks to join the project, in what ever way you can.
People confused the fuel Subsidy protesters with the #OccupyNigeria because the later (OccupyNigeria) had an online presence first (see the twitter bios) and when I built them it concidenced and become feul subsidy+occupyNigeria. I was building for the OccupyNigeria cause as a separate project (whose inspiration is another story on it's own).

1. Firstly, I'm not a student, so I personally have no school project that I need anyone's help with.
2. I'm language agnostic, I'm an engineer, I solve problems with the right tools (when I first wrote occupy9ja, I used PHP and JavaScript and it did: aggregate with Twitter API and solicit volunteers wonderfully well -- if you think i'm kidding go look at the followers on @occupy9ja).

As I slowly start getting in on the project, it'll continue to remain in PHP/Javascript and continue working with offline volunteers which is slightly tricky since #OccupyNigeria is largely an online (Twitter?) ,  the need for the site is to move that paradigm from twitter to occupy9ja to offline efforts.

Generally, the evolution when like this, wrote a twitter bot on the handle > built the site to  aggregate and consolidate #occupyNigeria's actions > offline philanthropy.

The project is voluntary, as inferred in the original post: "I think it'd be fun and absolutely non-intimidating -- even if you don't code, you can help in others ways in the project (#OccupyNigeria)"

And, like I said in the footer: "Handcrafted with passionate love for my motherland by @delomos (me). What have you done for her lately?" If you need clarifiacations, you can tweet me at either of the handles: @delomos, @geleyi or @occupy9ja
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 5:07pm On Mar 07, 2012
I don't understand why you have to explain yourself, AGAIN!
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2012
Fayimora:

I don't understand why you have to explain yourself!
^^ I'm quite naive and give everyone a benefit of doubt, someone else reading through might have the same question.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 5:17pm On Mar 07, 2012
I just added AGAIN to the post. I believe your first post was CLEAR ENOUGH! But maybe I have the wrong idea.
This is what I take it to be:
An open source application with no profit in mind.
Doesn't call for any unnecessary seriousness! Its meant to be FUN!

Please do correct me if I am wrong!
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 5:29pm On Mar 07, 2012
Fayimora:

I just added AGAIN to the post. I believe your first post was CLEAR ENOUGH! But maybe I have the wrong idea.
This is what I take it to be:
An open source application with no profit in mind.
Doesn't call for any unnecessary seriousness! Its meant to be FUN!

^^ Can't be better said, maybe there should also be a yoruba version of this site >.<
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 2:49am On Mar 08, 2012
delomos:

^^ Can't be better said, maybe there should also be a yoruba version of this site >.<

Hahahahhahahahhahah, Oh shit I read this in class and I almost got thrown out, I just remembered i didn't reply.

Anyways, when are you ready to start doing more githubbing and less nairalanding?
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 3:56am On Mar 08, 2012
Fayimora:

Anyways, when are you ready to start doing more githubbing and less nairalanding?

^^ I'd do some pushes for this week and things will be in motion, thanks.
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 7:59pm On May 26, 2012
Am done with exams.. Wassup here?
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 12:10pm On May 27, 2012
Fayimora: Am done with exams.. Wassup here?

I've decided I'm sticking with PHP & Friends, RoR is not a worthwhile shift, if you don't want to do the back-end, want to add some sugar to the front-end?
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 4:41pm On May 30, 2012
Hmm your choice!
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 6:12pm On May 30, 2012
Fayimora: Hmm your choice!
Not sure what that means, yes, no?
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Fayimora(m): 8:35pm On Jun 02, 2012
It is a yes! Would look at the project in a bit...
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by Ema4rl: 11:05am On Jun 03, 2012
Count me In.... First I want sum1 to list all the useful apps I need to see if I have to download any1 I don't have
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 11:02pm On Jun 03, 2012
Ema4rl: Count me In.... First I want sum1 to list all the useful apps I need to see if I have to download any1 I don't have
Are you proficient in HTML/CSS or PHP Or Javascript?

Or what will you like to contribute to?
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by delomos(m): 10:51pm On Feb 07, 2013
After months of dormancy and feet dragging; I"ve settled on an interesting direction for this project-- if you have some experience in RoR (Ruby on Rails) aand/or Ember.js (http://emberjs.com/) -- get in touch smiley
Re: Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com by lordZOUGA(m): 12:02am On Feb 08, 2013
delomos: After months of dormancy and feet dragging; I"ve settled on an interesting direction for this project-- if you have some experience in RoR (Ruby on Rails) aand/or Ember.js (http://emberjs.com/) -- get in touch smiley
and which direction is that?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Build An Android Instant Messaging App Using Sinch And Parse In 2 Hours / Learn How To Be A Good Frontend And Backend Programmer / Don't Make The Mistake I Made About Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.