Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) (91616 Views)

OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group / Pastors Wars - I Will Not Worship In TB Joshua’s Church, Says Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by isalegan2: 6:58pm On Feb 09, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Isale_Gan,  I agree that pre-colonisation post is a very good read.  A summary collection of heroes, very good and instructive.  You know what, is it possible that we can have an index repository containing links to these highly valuable topics?  So there is a single point for the record keeping, instead of scattered all over.

I've thought about that proposal, but I am not sure of the best way to go about it.  Would we want to create a separate thread for that or simply post a list of links in each pertinent thread?  We can always add more links.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by NegroNtns(m): 11:43pm On Feb 09, 2012
I think I will ask OAM4J or Jarus to see what they can do for us in this regard. It will be a central collection of highly valuable and informational materials dealing strictly with the race.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by waxrider: 7:58am On Feb 10, 2012
Kiriji battle field is still a tourist center in Osun. Thats why Osun is the number one tourist center in Nigeria.

Osun Osogbo, Erin Ijesha water fall e.t.c.

Kiriji has UNESCO's recognition. Google is Yoruba haters
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Basics007: 8:34am On Feb 10, 2012
Subscribing.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 10, 2012
This thread is still on shocked
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hooged: 9:06am On Feb 10, 2012
I've been to the site at igbajo, its a nice place sha .
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by clip: 9:15am On Feb 10, 2012
Very educative and informative tread
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by MP007(m): 9:47am On Feb 10, 2012
wait a minute. you mentioned ijaiye as one of the towns that was completely wiped out due to the war. Are these the same ijaiye people in abeokuta? Because I remember once my late grandfather telling that the egba gave the ijaiye's that land when they fled the sub-b of the old oyo empire? Interesting connection perhaps
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by TonySpike: 10:29am On Feb 10, 2012
Ijaiye, with several other towns and villages, were completely destroyed and wiped out of the SW map by the long 16 years war. Infact, many of such settlements can no longer be precisely located again. The war policies of the Oyos and Ibadans back then involved destroying and plundering a settlement to the ground. The houses in such settlements were reduced to just a small pile and not just ordinary rubbles as in modern warfare.

That is why I am interested in the types of weapons used by the different confederates in the Kiriji warfare. We need the pictures or sketches, preferably description. For example, is there any documentation of the use of siege weapons or long trajectory weapons? Apart from the use of charms and voodoo for extra effects, what informed the use of attack weapons for a fortified cities in those days?

These are questions that beg for answers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by OnlyRebel: 10:35am On Feb 10, 2012
Wow! How great you guys are. How great is my Nation (Yoruba Nation). We shall be great again. Jagun Jagun Nbo, O nbo, o nbo, o nbo, Jagun Jagun Nbo. Olori Ogun ko gbodo Keyin ogun, Jagun Jagun Nbo.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by KnowAll(m): 10:46am On Feb 10, 2012
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by VALIDATOR: 10:52am On Feb 10, 2012
Very interesting thread.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 10:53am On Feb 10, 2012
Una still dey on top of this? It has been a good one sha.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by russellino: 10:56am On Feb 10, 2012
I know not too many ppl know that an african-american mercenary was hired to take part in the kiriji (though I can't recall which side imported him) he was a veteran of the american civil war and was brought in to operate the then new Gatlin gun that the ppl didn't know how to operate. I heard he took a yoruba woman back as his wife. Can any scholars in d house shed more light on this? I heard this story from one old baba
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by anonimi: 11:31am On Feb 10, 2012
Did anyone already mention that these wars were also slave raiding adventures by Yorubas to sell their kits and kins to the white man. I understand that most of the slaves that passed through the Gore Island near Dakar in Senegal were Yorubas shocked

So when we think the white people should apologise (as Pope John Paul II already did) we (Africans/Nigerians/Yorubas) should also remember to apologize to our distant cousins (slave descendants) in these other continents.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by anonimi: 11:35am On Feb 10, 2012
MP007:

wait a minute. you mentioned ijaiye as one of the towns that was completely wiped out due to the war. Are these the same ijaiye people in abeokuta? Because I remember once my late grandfather telling that the egba gave the ijaiye's that land when they fled the sub-b of the old oyo empire? Interesting connection perhaps

Yes. Very true. The Owus in Egbaland are also from Orile-Owu in Osun state.
Human history is that of migration. Those who claim to be indigenes only arrived the present location much earlier than those label settlers.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by anonimi: 11:45am On Feb 10, 2012
Tony Spike:

Ijaiye, with several other towns and villages, were completely destroyed and wiped out of the SW map by the long 16 years war. Infact, many of such settlements can no longer be precisely located again. The war policies of the Oyos and Ibadans back then involved destroying and plundering a settlement to the ground. The houses in such settlements were reduced to just a small pile and not just ordinary rubbles as in modern warfare.

Not quite so. We only need to have sharp business people sponsoring Nigerian academics- historians, linguists, archeologists etc- to do extensive research for subsequent commercial exploitation as museum objects, tourism sites, documentary film, books for kids etc. Those things will further reinforce pride in ourselves and our rich cultural heritage showing that we are BASICALLY no different from the old (European) and new (Chinese) colonial masters.
These initiatives were effectively killed by the military dictators who ruled us brutally with no regard for serious WHOLESOME education. Continued growth and deepening of OUR democracy may revive that.

It is so sad that most of the materials on Nigerian history is with the whites shocked
Can you imagine very stupid Oyinlola buying for several millions of dollars artifacts that were originally excavated from various historic sites by an Australian shocked
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 10, 2012
I feel really good when I see/hear history being discussed smiley.
It appears most areas about the 'Kiriji War' have been touched so I'd let it rest until something worth debating comes up.
One thing I'd like to add is that - people interested in history should quote/cite Samuel Johnson's book less since it was written from an Oyo man's view point, hence subjective.

Btw - I think NL people should create a 'history' section.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 12:30pm On Feb 10, 2012
@9jacrip

The man was present at some of these wars, infact, he was part of the delegation that was sent by the British to ensure peace, most of the others were hearsay.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 10, 2012
hercules07:

@9jacrip

The man was present at some of these wars, infact, he was part of the delegation that was sent by the British to ensure peace, most of the others were hearsay.

True, he was around during the period BUT that even cements his subjectivity. In historiography, a/an historian is permitted to write about what he's part of after many years, else, his/her work would be mere chronicles or journalism that could be referred to very much later by objective writers. History writing/detailing isn't about who's part of what but rather being disconnected from the topic for better analysis etc. I'm a history graduate so I know what I'm talking about and how professors refer to Samuel Johnson's work.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 1:16pm On Feb 10, 2012
Only-Rebel:

Wow! How great you guys are. How great is my Nation (Yoruba Nation). We shall be great again. Jagun Jagun Nbo, O nbo, o nbo, o nbo, Jagun Jagun Nbo. Olori Ogun ko gbodo Keyin ogun, Jagun Jagun Nbo.

I know that the aim of this thread is to show us that Yorubas were once great. But we are laughing at their scheme from the stand, because every Yoruba history is in conflict with the reality. If Yorubas can commit a scorched earth campaign against their own people, how come did they allow fulanis to run amok in their backyard without bloodying their nose? Greeks ran amok in northern Italy 50yrs before the rise of the roman empire. But Romans bloodied their nose so bad that the battle made it to the english diction today as the "Pyrrhic war". But Yorubas case is to concoct a myth, then hatch it into reality without evidence or necessary criticism. Then force others to believe their myth.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by dagboss(m): 1:19pm On Feb 10, 2012
I thank you guys who have educated most of us about the Kiriji war on this thread. It is shame that i did not know one tenth of all i have read on  this thread. I have always been interested in knowing these things but i could not lay my hands on any material when i was a less busy man, that was responsible for my purposely driving down to Unilag bookshop one day in the late 90s to get a copy of Samuel Johnson's book but it was not available that day, this thread will ginger me to still look for it and if possible look for some other books mentioned. Even though at a stage i was scared that the Kiriji war was going to be reenacted going by the posts of some of the principal facilitators but the typical Oduduwa spirit stepped in to douse the impending reenactment. grin grin grin  Once again God will bless you all for this good work
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by T9ksy(m): 2:42pm On Feb 10, 2012
ACM10:

I know that the aim of this thread is to show us that Yorubas were once great. But we are laughing at their scheme from the stand, because every Yoruba history is in conflict with the reality. If Yorubas can commit a scorched earth campaign against their own people, how come did they allow fulanis to run amok in their backyard without bloodying their nose? Greeks ran amok in northern Italy 50yrs before the rise of the roman empire. But Romans bloodied their nose so bad that the battle made it to the english diction today as the "Pyrrhic war". But Yorubas case is to concoct a myth, then hatch it into reality without evidence or necessary criticism. Then force others to believe their myth.

And what makes you think we yorubas give a ra.t's ar.se about what your ilk thinks about us.

I begi, carry go jo so you don't derail this informative thread.

To my yoruba brothers who have contributed immensely and constructively to this thread,I say, thanks and more grease to your elbows, ojare!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Chyz2: 2:45pm On Feb 10, 2012
ACM10:

True.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Yinkay: 2:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ Tony Spike
Ijaiye, with several other towns and villages, were completely destroyed and wiped out of the SW map by the long 16 years war. Infact, many of such settlements can no longer be precisely located again.

Ijaiye town still exists though without the former glory. it is located about 20mins drive from Moniya on the way to Iseyin. The battle ground nearby is barren till today.

this link can be useful too     http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/YorubaT/yt1.html

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by logica(m): 2:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Isale I dont know if that coloured picture of that quality could have been taken in the 60's when Akintola lived.

Maybe it was retouched
What you don't realize is as long as the film is intact, a colored photo can be generated from the film. The color information is stored on the film.

Anyway my heart swells to realize a lot of new generation Yoruba men know their history; they know where they are coming from.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 3:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
9jacrip:

True, he was around during the period BUT that even cements his subjectivity. In historiography, a/an historian is permitted to write about what he's part of after many years, else, his/her work would be mere chronicles or journalism that could be referred to very much later by objective writers. History writing/detailing isn't about who's part of what but rather being disconnected from the topic for better analysis etc. I'm a history graduate so I know what I'm talking about and how professors refer to Samuel Johnson's work.

The question is where do historians get their information from? They get it from old relics and written materials from the era they are studying. Samuel Johnson himself included information from eras that preceded him through other accounts. The information that Johnson got from being present is far more valuable than information that would have been told as legends, stories, etc. Johnson's account is formidable because HE WROTE it down. You may not know this but Johnson's original manuscript was lost by the publisher. It was his brother Obadiah (a doctor) who wrote the book from Johnson's ORIGINAL notes.

The point of reading a book is not accept it wholeheartedly but to analyse the facts and superimpose your own thought process. It was Aristotle who said 'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. A true scholar will not read Johnson's account alone but others. Many books have been written by other scholars such Akinjogbin, Awe, Akintoye, Smith, Ade-Ajayi, Jeremy Eades. But guess what, many of these other historians quote Johnson because of the level of detail in his notes.

If Christiane Amanpour wrote a book about the Balkan wars, would you disregard it because she was present? Would you instead prefer a book that was written by a man/woman who visited the Balkans 50 years after the war and received information from people who were 7 years old during the war?

The reason why scholars say Johnson's book is Oyocentric is because Johnson is from Oyo. But should that fact remove from an excellently detailed book? Secondly, Johnson can be forgiven for that because Oyo was the most important Yoruba town. The Yoruba are known as far as Ghana because of the Oyo. When writing Roman history pre Jesus and 800 years after Jesus, how much time do you spend on Florence? Thirdly, Johnson did not ignore other Yoruba towns in his book. The history of about every Yoruba settlement is covered.

@ interested readers
Please ignore those who have nothing intelligent to contribute other than self ridicule.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 4:13pm On Feb 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

The question is where do historians get their information from? They get it from old relics and written materials from the era they are studying. Samuel Johnson himself included information from eras that preceded him through other accounts. The information that Johnson got from being present is far more valuable than information that would have been told as legends, stories, etc. Johnson's account is 1. formidable grin because 2. HE WROTE it down. You may not know this but 3. Johnson's original manuscript was lost by the publisher.
4. It was his brother Obadiah (a doctor) who wrote the book from Johnson's ORIGINAL notes.

5. The point of reading a book is not accept it wholeheartedly but to analyse the facts and superimpose your own thought process. It was Aristotle who said 'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'.  A true scholar will not read Johnson's account alone but others. Many books have been written by other scholars such Akinjogbin, Awe, Akintoye, Smith, Ade-Ajayi, Jeremy Eades. But guess what, many of these other historians quote Johnson because of the level of detail in his notes.

If Christiane Amanpour wrote a book about the Balkan wars, would you disregard it because she was present? Would you instead prefer a book that was written by a man/woman who visited the Balkans 50 years after the war and received information from people who were 7 years old during the war?

6. @ interested readers
Please ignore those who have nothing intelligent to contribute other than self ridicule.

@bolded 1. We are used to your intimidating words like sophisticated, fearsome, and now, formidable

@bolded 2. Really?!

@bolded 3. Mr. mythologist, must u continue to give flimsy excuses to support your myths?

@bolded 4. and he threw away the note after copying it, knowing its historical importance which necessitated its duplication.

@bolded 5. That's exactly what we are doing. If we believe all your copy and paste, then we will believe anything.

@6. so said by the most intelligent, all-knowing god of NL
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by nku5: 4:29pm On Feb 10, 2012
russellino:

I know not too many ppl know that an african-american mercenary was hired to take part in the kiriji (though I can't recall which side imported him) he was a veteran of the american civil war and was brought in to operate the then new Gatlin gun that the ppl didn't know how to operate. I heard he took a yoruba woman back as his wife. Can any scholars in d house shed more light on this? I heard this story from one old baba

Interesting stuff.Didnt know folks back in the day had the wisdom to import veterans from overseas. I'll google it
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by logica(m): 4:40pm On Feb 10, 2012
It seems some people are feeling left out. Please create a thread about Igbo warriors in antiquity (I never heard of one) and also any Igbo heroines (not the drug but I never heard of one either like the Yorubas speak of Moremi and Madam Tinubu and the Fulanis of Queen Amina cheesy).

Personally speaking of course I feel the sophistication of an ethnic group or nation is closely linked to how high a woman can rise in the society.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by logica(m): 4:48pm On Feb 10, 2012
russellino:

I will not be surprised. This may very well be one of the returnees to Liberia and Siera Leone. It looks even more plausible when you consider that both the American Civil War and the Yoruba Civil War occurred around the same period with the former ending just 11 years before the start of the latter.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by OAM4J: 4:56pm On Feb 10, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

I think I will ask OAM4J or Jarus to see what they can do for us in this regard. It will be a central collection of highly valuable and informational materials dealing strictly with the race.

I have replied you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Senator Dino Melaye's Outfit To AMVCA 2020 (photo) / DSS Arrests Suspended CBN Gov, Godwin Emefiele / Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.