Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) (91605 Views)

OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group / Pastors Wars - I Will Not Worship In TB Joshua’s Church, Says Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by TonySpike: 8:55am On Feb 21, 2012
Nice attempt to convert the book to PDF,
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by TonySpike: 9:56am On Feb 21, 2012
May I suggest that an interesting graphical cover-page be provided for this book. I have an initial design for this purpose  grin. The picture is the head of Obalufon

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 7:41pm On Mar 04, 2012
Ozichim:

Pls. understand what we are saying. an act of wickedness is not bravery. can you point out the bravery acts of Beng. Adek,  Adekunle was so eager to distroy the Igbos do to his uncontrollable hatread. I repeat an act of wickedness is not gallantry but cheating and falsehood.
If I'm fighting your village and decide to secretly use biological weapon on them. I can single handed kill everybody in your village. Now If I kill everybody in you village with biological weapon does that make be galant/brave soldier.

It is just frustration that can make any soldier do that and it is only weaklings that do that.
Study the WW2 history and see how Americans will start feeding any territory they captured that is rule of the game by brave soldiers. Only weaklings found in the army can do such thing especially when you give them the power under frustration.

[size=14pt]A galant soldier will even if need be, drop his gun and ask you to come out for physical fight openly.[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=881517.msg10308778#msg10308778

I copied the link above from another thread; the last sentence is just too funny. I had to share to back my comment about Dede1's people settling disputes through wrestling contests. BTW, this is just for laughs.   grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by AndreUweh(m): 8:03pm On Mar 04, 2012
Tony Spike:

May I suggest that an interesting graphical cover-page be provided for this book. I have an initial design for this purpose grin. The picture is the head of Obalufon
How can I get this book.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 2:00am On Mar 05, 2012
Effects of war on Ibadan/Oyo

In 1881, with the egbas and ijebus having closed the routes to the interior, the Ibadans were running out of ammunition and salt. The situation was so bad that there was a story of a woman who sold her mother to an Egba man for salt at a market in Ejio (present day Benin republic). In terms of ammunition, the situation was just as bad. The Ibadans were effectively prosecuting a war with swords while their enemies (Ekitis/Ijeshas) were fighting with guns. Despite this advantage, the Ekitis/Ijeshas couldn’t finish off the Ibadans who were described as excellent swordsmen.

The only route left to Ibadan was the route through Oke Igbo to ondo. The ruler of Oke Igbo was Derin, an Ife prince. With Ife allied with Ibadan, the route remained open. The Ibadans would attack Osu, a small town between Ife and Ilesa but would be repulsed with the Ekitis/Ijeshas sending a force to assist the town. The Derin of Oke Igbo saw this attack by Ibadan as an attack on Ife itself and closed the route to Ibadan but the Ogunsua of Modakeke would keep the route partially open through kidnapping. The Modakeke’s did this as their destiny was linked with the Ibadans.

The Alaafin of Oyo sent a message to the Egbas to allow salt and ammunition through their route to the hinterland. During this period, the Egbas and Ijebus were still selling items to the hinterland and to Lagos. They would sell items from the hinterland (food, slaves) to Lagos and sell items from Lagos ( except ammunition, salt, etc) to the hinterland.

Attempts at Peace by Derin formely of Oke Igbo and later Ooni of Ife
The Ijesa in Lagos bought Sneider rifles which outranged the dane guns used by the Ibadans considerably. At first the Parapo couldn’t use the rifles but they were sent some warriors who had experience of using them at Abeokuta in the Egbas defeat of the Dahomians. Ibadan would accuse the British government in Lagos of supporting the Ekiti Parapo but the British would deny this accusation saying that it couldn’t prevent individuals from purchasing rifles and sending to either side.

This led the Ibadans to sue for peace with the Ijebu but the Awujale wouldn’t even entertain the message. The Derin organized a peace treaty for all sides but the thorny issue of who would decamp first became a deal breaker. No side was willing to decamp first for fear of the other side pursuing them and forcing them into a retreat, The Ekiti parapo insisted that since Ibadan was in their country, that it decamped first while the Ibadans insisted that the parapo relocate to the town of Mesin Ipole. The Ibadans used as the precedence the slaughter of Ibadan warriors by the Egba after the Iperu war in 1865 when the Egba signed a peace treaty with the Ibadan and Ijebu only to return to slaughter them while they were rejoicing. grin grin grin
With neither willing to decamp first, the war continued.

Will post more when I get the chance.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by OAM4J: 4:41am On Mar 05, 2012
Katsumoto:

I copied the link above from another thread; the last sentence is just too funny. I had to share to back my comment about Dede1's people settling disputes through wrestling contests. BTW, this is just for laughs.   grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I cant stop laughing at that post. Please don't blame him, na too much watching of Chinese films cause am grin grin grin grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 7:30am On Mar 05, 2012
ACM10:

[size=18pt]These are the descendants of Yoruba warriors who probably took part in the yoruba's Kiri-ji war. These Yoruba cowards fled at the sight of their shadows after June 12: grin

1. Bola Tinubu (Senator)

2. Tokunbo Afikuyomi (a member of the former House of Representatives)

3. Alani Akinrinade (Second Republic defense boss)

4. Wole Soyinka (Nobel prize winner in literature)

5. THOUSANDS OF Yoruba LEADERS AND INTELLECTUALS WHO FLED AND BECAME REFUGEES DURING JUNE 12 SAGA[/size]

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ektbear: 7:36am On Mar 05, 2012
Hehe

Yeah this comment had me rollin:

"Lmfao, the same way David Petraeus was boxing Al Qaeda from street to street in Iraq?"
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 09, 2012
Katsumoto:

Effects of war on Ibadan/Oyo

In 1881, with the egbas and ijebus having closed the routes to the interior, the Ibadans were running out of ammunition and salt. The situation was so bad that there was a story of a woman who sold her mother to an Egba man for salt at a market in Ejio (present day Benin republic). In terms of ammunition, the situation was just as bad. The Ibadans were effectively prosecuting a war with swords while their enemies (Ekitis/Ijeshas) were fighting with guns. Despite this advantage, the Ekitis/Ijeshas couldn’t finish off the Ibadans who were described as excellent swordsmen.

The only route left to Ibadan was the route through Oke Igbo to ondo. The ruler of Oke Igbo was Derin, an Ife prince. With Ife allied with Ibadan, the route remained open. The Ibadans would attack Osu, a small town between Ife and Ilesa but would be repulsed with the Ekitis/Ijeshas sending a force to assist the town. The Derin of Oke Igbo saw this attack by Ibadan as an attack on Ife itself and closed the route to Ibadan but the Ogunsua of Modakeke would keep the route partially open through kidnapping. The Modakeke’s did this as their destiny was linked with the Ibadans.

The Alaafin of Oyo sent a message to the Egbas to allow salt and ammunition through their route to the hinterland. During this period, the Egbas and Ijebus were still selling items to the hinterland and to Lagos. They would sell items from the hinterland (food, slaves) to Lagos and sell items from Lagos ( except ammunition, salt, etc) to the hinterland.

Attempts at Peace by Derin formely of Oke Igbo and later Ooni of Ife
The Ijesa in Lagos bought Sneider rifles which outranged the dane guns used by the Ibadans considerably. At first the Parapo couldn’t use the rifles but they were sent some warriors who had experience of using them at Abeokuta in the Egbas defeat of the Dahomians. Ibadan would accuse the British government in Lagos of supporting the Ekiti Parapo but the British would deny this accusation saying that it couldn’t prevent individuals from purchasing rifles and sending to either side.

This led the Ibadans to sue for peace with the Ijebu but the Awujale wouldn’t even entertain the message. The Derin organized a peace treaty for all sides but the thorny issue of who would decamp first became a deal breaker. No side was willing to decamp first for fear of the other side pursuing them and forcing them into a retreat, The Ekiti parapo insisted that since Ibadan was in their country, that it decamped first while the Ibadans insisted that the parapo relocate to the town of Mesin Ipole. The Ibadans used as the precedence the slaughter of Ibadan warriors by the Egba after the Iperu war in 1865 when the Egba signed a peace treaty with the Ibadan and Ijebu only to return to slaughter them while they were rejoicing. grin grin grin
With neither willing to decamp first, the war continued.

Will post more when I get the chance.

Mr Kats - source please?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by musiwa43: 11:27pm On Mar 09, 2012
stop showing us Kiriji war. Yoruba nation can not fight among themself if we are a country because if you ask any yoruba person what is the composition of his family , he will tell you from every state in yorubaland. some members of my family are from kwara state , some from ekiti, some from ogun state, some from ondo state, some from edo state, some from delta state, some from lagos,

this is how most yoruba families are now. there can never be a civil war in yorubaland if we are a nation. and there would be army. look militia in ijaw land bombing pipeline is because the govt remove the military from protecting the oil sector, which the military use to protect before. there is no militia that can face the nigeria army many years ago in ijawland except when this people in power removed the army.

did you hear of militia during the military govt bombing oil installtion. No.

there will be no civil war if we become a country
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia5: 11:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
true, its very rare imo to find a yoruba family that's not mixed with every part of the southwest.

i assume its a general thing but cant really say for sure.

but that doesnt mean they cant fight among themselves however?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by TonySpike: 1:38pm On Mar 30, 2012
Let's bring alive this thread!
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by AndreUweh(m): 7:22pm On Mar 30, 2012
Once again, how can I lay my hand on Samuel Johnson's book ''The History of The Yoruba''.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by aljharem(m): 7:26pm On Mar 30, 2012
Andre Uweh: Once again, how can I lay my hand on Samuel Johnson's book ''The History of The Yoruba''.
Thanks in anticipation.

It is a bit rare now, check my attachment, the scanned copy of the book
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by aljharem(m): 7:28pm On Mar 30, 2012
andre it is not just going through, the file is large but you can go to google books
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by delpee(f): 12:38am On Mar 31, 2012
Still learning and enjoying. Would also like to know real reason why Ekiti and Ijesha dialect and character are similar though i think the many years of Ogedengbes stay in Ekiti with his supporters may have had an impact.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 2:34am On May 15, 2012
delpee: Still learning and enjoying. Would also like to know real reason why Ekiti and Ijesha dialect and character are similar though i think the many years of Ogedengbes stay in Ekiti with his supporters may have had an impact.

Ogedengbe's stay in Ekiti had nothing to do with the similarity, Ijesha land spreads as far as Ekiti itself -
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by TonySpike: 9:00am On May 28, 2012
^^^
True talk. There is hardly a boundary to the collaboration between the Ekitis and Ijeshas. They are age-long neighbours and share a lot common history.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by teetee123: 11:45am On Aug 25, 2012
[quote author=Negro_Ntns]

. . . So how come no one ever heard about him in Lagos? He must have been one of those that fought with swords instead of acoustic booming canons as was the practice in Lagos. How do you think we kept ambitious Dahomey and England away for so long?

You dont have to respond now. . . .Kiriji is still the topic. grin

You did not heard of Lisabi because all you knew of was Kosoko story not even the full Lagos history. The Egbas are called Egba omo Lisabi. He showed the other yoruba states that Oyo warriors and their Ibadan baloguns are conquer able. .
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia1: 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2012
delpee: Still learning and enjoying. Would also like to know real reason why Ekiti and Ijesha dialect and character are similar though i think the many years of Ogedengbes stay in Ekiti with his supporters may have had an impact.

from wiki:

The Yoruba dialect continuum itself consists of several dialects. The various Yoruba dialects in the Yorubaland of Nigeria can be classified into three major dialect areas: Northwest, Central, and Southeast.[4] Of course, clear boundaries can never be drawn and peripheral areas of dialectal regions often have some similarities to adjoining dialects.

North-West Yoruba (NWY). Abẹokuta, Ibadan, Ọyọ, Ogun and Lagos (Eko) areas

Central Yoruba (CY) Igbomina, Yagba, Ilésà, Ifẹ, Ekiti, Akurẹ, Ẹfọn, and Ijẹbu areas.

South-East Yoruba (SEY) Okitipupa, Ilaje, Ondo, Ọwọ, Ikarẹ, Ṣagamu, and parts of Ijẹbu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_language

the dialect includes ife as well.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 2:11am On Sep 12, 2012
So....
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia5: 2:27am On Sep 12, 2012
Spell out what you're trying to say
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by logica(m): 1:41am On Sep 13, 2012
Katsumoto:

What's even funnier is his inability to see the similarity between the US dropping atomic bombs on Japan and the use of biological weapons. I suppose the Americans were cowardly for using such an "unfair" advantage.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by debankss(m): 10:54am On Sep 26, 2012
Get Yoruba language culture and proverbs. Like the Owe Ede Yoruba page on Facebook.com/OweEdeYoruba.

Cheers.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by teetee123: 11:02pm On Sep 28, 2012
History of Yoruba by Rev. Johnson is available in Ibadan, Nigeria. Saw an hard cover copy at Foodco stores in Ibadan few days ago, N5000 . May get in CSS bookstores.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 01, 2012
tpia@:
Spell out what you're trying to say

Just saying the thread is either tired or dead
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 01, 2012
There are so many issues under history which could be discussed here and by implication educate/enlighten people and maybe, just maybe help some people's research project/theses.

I previously read somewhere on NL where history was said to be under politics, how? I still feel a history section should be created with sub sections like political history, culture history etc. Its really going to be a hot stuff!

Lovers of history, what do you all think?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by larride(m): 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
Wow... this is great.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Obalufon: 10:55am On Feb 08, 2013
[quote author=Andre Uweh]Once again, how can I lay my hand on Samuel Johnson's book ''The History of The Yoruba''.
Thanks in anticipation.[/quote
hhhhh
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by demmy(m): 2:34pm On Feb 08, 2013
Andre Uweh: Once again, how can I lay my hand on Samuel Johnson's book ''The History of The Yoruba''.
Thanks in anticipation.

http://archive.org/download/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john.pdf

You can also read [url="http://books.google.gr/books?id=VuZwqbFl5lsC&pg=PA179&dq=the+history+of+the+yorubas&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Wf8UUf6zJM3ptQaCjoHwDA&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=the%20history%20of%20the%20yorubas&f=false"]The Lagos Consulate, 1851-61[/url] by Robert S. Smith on google.

You're welcome.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
Andrew Uweh, I will advise you get better works on Yoruba history - check with Toyin Falola.
Samuel Johnson's work is not 'scholarly' and filled with 'intriguing' myths/oral tradition.

Why not try Ground work of Nigerian History by Obaro Ikime and many other co-authors.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by demmy(m): 2:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
9jacrip: Andrew Uweh, I will advise you get better works on Yoruba history - check with Toyin Falola.
Samuel Johnson's work is not 'scholarly' and filled with 'intriguing' myths/oral tradition.

Why not try Ground work of Nigerian History by Obaro Ikime and many other co-authors.

Johnson's general history is truly filled with myths but his accounts of the war were correct because he witnessed it and even helped to negotiate its end.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Dino Melaye's Mother's Grave Decorated (Photo) / Senator Dino Melaye's Outfit To AMVCA 2020 (photo) / DSS Arrests Suspended CBN Gov, Godwin Emefiele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.