Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

The Dreaded "sponsorship" Question - F1 Students Only! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Dreaded "sponsorship" Question - F1 Students Only! (1371 Views)

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening / Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa / Study Opportunities In Ukraine 2 Masters And Transfer Students Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Dreaded "sponsorship" Question - F1 Students Only! by Elaineh: 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2012
My fellow F1 visa holders,

Looking for a job in this US where we dey, iss not beans o! Am currently a graduate student with a May 2012 graduate date. I'm seriously looking for a job right now because I don't feel like returning to Naija with its Boko Haram, corruption and other home-grown disasters. I'm looking for a job everywhere - online job boards, alumni networks and milking my few connections but nothing dey happen as of yet. I am facing a huge dilemna with regards to the dreaded "sponsorship" question." Will you now or in the future require H1 visa sponsorship"? Here are my arguments for and against full and honest disclosure:

Lie and say that I do not need sponsorship. Why?:
- If I tell a company that I do require H1 visa sponsorship, chances are that the company's online application system will detect that and trash my resume/application before any human being even gets to see it.
- Even if a human being gets to review my resume, if they see that I require sponsorship, they will not even give me a chance, in spite of my work experience and qualifications.

Be honest. Why?
- When the time comes for me to receive a job offer, I might be asked to show proof of work authorization. When the employer sees that I am on OPT, they will put two and two together. They might wonder why I was deceptive in the first place when asked if I would require sponsorship
- If I am hired despite my need for sponsorship, it will save me headache when the time comes for me to ask if the company is willing to put in an H1 petition so that I can continue to work at the company.

All those who are going through this process or have gone through it and somehow managed to get a job, please weigh in with advice and share your experiences!
Thenx
Re: The Dreaded "sponsorship" Question - F1 Students Only! by justwise(m): 9:34pm On Feb 07, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Dangerous Places On Earth / I Am A Stranger In My Town.<maiduguri> / Photo: Dad Spotted Carrying His Baby On His Back At UK Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.