Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,770 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (52982 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / Aro Roots Of Ikwerre, Igbo Identity Crisis By Chidi Osuagwu / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by manchy7531: 2:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
As an Igbo, I feel so sad for the so called little Ikwere kingdom. Some of their leaders are messing their minds up as far as Identity is concerned. The Civil war did not make the situation better as some (Not all) the Ikwere people went into this biblical Peter scenario. By the way, the Igbos in Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi,Enugu, Delta have better objectives and things to pursue than comming after a group of some lost souls who think that changing their original names will give them another identity. No, it makes them look very funny and ridiculous and that,s why the Ijaws and Kalabari,s can,t stand them and succed in putting elements of maginalization to their causes. We have to understand that the abandoned property issue of the 1970,s were mainly superheaded by the Ikweres out of jealousy and hatred of the mainland Igbos who earned those properties by hardwork. If they cite grieviences against the Igbos for the role they played on the seizure their properties, which group in the world do not have problems. The difference is that they make up , unite and move on. Instead the Ikwerre people decided to teach the "damn Igbos a lesson". Where has it left issues and relationships today" ? No where". The Igbos bounced back immedietly after the civil war with the 2 pounds that Awolowo and the Hausas gave them with seizure of all their properties including those in Porthacourt with the help of the IKWERRE people . My take is this to the Ikwerres" It is up to you to make amends and come back to the greater Igbo nation. If they decide to disappear from the radar, it is their perogative but there unborn generations will suffer the consequences and not the current selfish people with no long term vision parading themselves as leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by solihu(m): 3:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
Nawa o! Guy, these chest beating of yours nawaya! If I may ask, on what basis are you making this your "vision" that their generations will pay the price for not joining you in "nzobuing"? They've chosen their stance and why shouldn't it be respected?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 3:11pm On Feb 08, 2012
Is call identity crisis cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by 9javoice1(m): 4:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
wise people amends their mistakes as soon as its open.
but the fools lives on with yesterdays mistake.
though they think it doesnt matter
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:09pm On Feb 08, 2012
Why are you bothering yourself with Ikwere?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Rhino4dm: 4:14pm On Feb 08, 2012
OH, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! not again!!!!

Na by force for them to answer IGBO?? Stop the begging!!

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU8YzOyPVMoVoRPzwn0tIjvBs3l0AOgqyFRxrAbmGXSHIYC-Ub[/img]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 4:17pm On Feb 08, 2012
Rhino.4dm:

OH, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! not again!!!!

Na by force for them to answer IGBO?? Stop the begging!!

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU8YzOyPVMoVoRPzwn0tIjvBs3l0AOgqyFRxrAbmGXSHIYC-Ub[/img]

same as awori cool

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Rhino4dm: 4:22pm On Feb 08, 2012
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Geomac: 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2012
ak47mann:

same as awori cool

Pls explain what you mean.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by otokx(m): 4:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
The Ikwerres actually have no problem at all but its some idle Igbo people that want to force their identity on we peoples of the Niger Delta. Why they cannot leave us alone baffles me?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by naijaking1: 5:29pm On Feb 08, 2012
@Poster
You're really pushing the limits of relevance here on N/L. Say, are you really Igbo
You sound more like alh harem or whatever one of those Hausa guys call themselves. Your desire to exagerate the the Ikwerre issue is unfortunately noted as a cheap and childish ploy.

For all these banting and chest beating against Ndigbo, please note that nobody ever forced any peripheral Igbo whether in Benue, Delta, Kogi, Rivers, or Cross River state to answer names like Amechi, Okoro, Emeka, Odili, etc. Conversly, nobody is stoppping them from changing their names to Ibrahim, Seun, or even Clark, but unfortunately for you and other hatemongers, they prefer their Igbo names from all indication.

Why don't you just leave them the hell alone. Are you terrified in your sleep that the Igbos might somehow unite to take their right place in Nigeria's polity?
If you're, please go see your psychiatrist for appropriate sedative and anti-anxiety medication.

It shall be well grin grin grin

otokx:

The Ikwerres actually have no problem at all but its some idle Igbo people that want to force their identity on we peoples of the Niger Delta. Why they cannot leave us alone baffles me?

Et tu otokx? And you're not even Ikwerre for that matter. Wetin concern you and Igbos, except fear and anxiety. You can use some sedative too cool

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 5:33pm On Feb 08, 2012
otokx:

All these pretending on NL  na wa o!! for una.

@OP
Depending on the Ikwerres you speak to. Some see themselves as Igbo, while others do not. Monalisa chindua, Ducan Mighty and Tonto Dike are of Ikwerre stock and all three identify themselves as Igbo; online on NL there's two ikwerre i've seen so far and that is Igboboy and I think Ezeuche is also ikwerre but i'm not sure and they identify themselves as Igbo. They probably have family members whom will agree with them and at the same time disagree with them. The thing is Igbo denial in SS is there but in a limited amount but people over glorify it online thus making it appear as a huge problem when it is not. In SS, the problem is viewed as no problem at all and SE should imitate that belief. Let the few deny as much as they want as long as they don't drag everyone else into.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 5:35pm On Feb 08, 2012
All these wanabe igbo half baked people should answer their real name igbo name is not for show cool cool
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Rhino4dm: 5:39pm On Feb 08, 2012
[size=28pt]Guy, better take action oooooooo.
[/size]

otokx:

The Ikwerres actually have no problem at all but its some idle Igbo people that want to force their identity on we peoples of the Niger Delta. Why they cannot [size=18pt]leave us alone [/size]baffles me?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 5:43pm On Feb 08, 2012
^^

even ikwere rather answer Hausa names than Yoruba even thou we ask them many times to stop using igbo names still they refused cool cool

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 5:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
This site love tribalism is already on front page carry go  cool cool i hope you post cheque to all the bigots in the house,
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 5:46pm On Feb 08, 2012
ak47mann:

All these wanabe igbo half baked people should answer their real name igbo name is not for show  cool cool

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!.
I'm not sure if the OP is Igbo or not, na him kno, but na true talk you come dey speak
All the pretending is becoming too much that it is starting to look pathetic.
I actually just saw someone with an igbo name for account but yet insulting Igbo.  Do you notice all the Igbo pretenders always claim to be from Anambra when asked.
Then we have those claiming SS and do you notice, all the pretenders always claim to be either from PH or Warri and once in a awhile Edo comes into the mix.
Originality no dey for these one oo
Na wa oo!!!
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 5:52pm On Feb 08, 2012
One_Naira:

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!.
I'm not sure if the OP is Igbo or not, na him kno, but na true talk you come dey speak
All the pretending is becoming too much that it is starting to look pathetic.
I actually just saw someone with an igbo name for account but yet insulting Igbo.  Do you notice all the Igbo pretenders always claim to be from Anambra when asked.
Then we have those claiming SS and do you notice, all the pretenders always claim to be either from PH or Warri and once in a awhile Edo comes into the mix.
Originality no dey for these one oo
Na wa oo!!!
most of these accounts with igbo names are none igbos using it to manipulate people and we no those people came from one particular section in Nigeria,they cant help it is in their DNA make ups to be dodgy cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by okpurukata(f): 5:54pm On Feb 08, 2012
I really wish Ikwerres in d house can react. I live in PH and have many friends who bear Okechukwu, Eberechi, Nkiru etc. But will always deny Ibo even when they speak Ibo. Its rather funny.
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by manchy7531: 5:59pm On Feb 08, 2012
Manchy is a full blooded igboboi(FBI) from uzoagba ikeduru LGA imo state.so don't talk droppings about me being igbo or not.Will never be a wannabe.just thought that i should clarify all this ikwerre stories of them claiming not to be igbos.if it is true,to me it's a big shame denialing your identity.cos i see on the internet when people classify ikwerre as a ethnic group(like when describing the ethnic groups in rivers state,you see ijaw,calabari,ogoni,ikwerre). This keep me wondering why these set of people will chose to live in identity denial.

if you doubt me being igbo check our some of my trends

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=811678.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=793385.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=786767.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=786156.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=862223.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=860178.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=853720.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=802955.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=798907.0

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=806354.0
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 08, 2012
What's is the difference between Igbo, Ibo, Eboe and Ebo??

Ikwerre don't sound Ibo to me, but hey I may be wrong grin

I don't think any man without flat head - or any woman without beards and hairy chest should be considered Ibo,

That's just my 2cent!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:05pm On Feb 08, 2012
Leave them alone please! If they wan be mongolians let them be! Ikwerre is a very small group that cannot stand the test of time!

Shymex,are you done ? Now run back into the bush and keep eating grass till i say STOP!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 6:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
manchy7531:

Manchy is a full blooded igboboi(FBI) from uzoagba ikeduru LGA imo state.so don't talk droppings about me being igbo or not.Will never be a wannabe.just thought that i should clarify all this ikwerre stories of them claiming not to be igbos.if it is true,to me it's a big shame denialing your identity.cos i see on the internet when people classify ikwerre as a ethnic group(like when describing the ethnic groups in rivers state,you see ijaw,calabari,ogoni,ikwerre). This keep me wondering why these set of people will chose to live in identity denial.
look is like in abia state their are many igbo clans but they are under one umbrella same as anambra we have onicha nkwere,nkpo,obosi,nnewi,uga,ogidi,umu oji, they are all different  clans under one umbrella so ikwere people are like our prodigal son but we the father have told them many times to stop using our names still they continue is not by force either Ur English or u are wales  in UK a welsh man will never answer an English mans name,  cool
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by slam7000(m): 6:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
Enough of these nonsense,if they say that they aint igbos,so be it.its nobodys business,we have a lot to worry about and these shouldnt be our worries.this is becoming very embarrassing,when its not ikwerre,it,ll be asaba and ogwashi uku people.then some stupid story about igbos and jews.They said they are not igbos and they are not.end of story.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 08, 2012
I havent been  to their land but I met a guy the other day and he said he is igbo, I asked which state hoping to hear the main five states, he said he's PH ikwerre.

And what is the aim of this thread?  No Igbo will open such thread.

it looks like someone opened it after reading "Edo relation to youruba"
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 6:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
shymmex:

What's is the difference between Igbo, Ibo, Eboe and Ebo??

Ikwerre don't sound Ibo to me, but hey I may be wrong grin

I don't think any man without flat head - or any woman without beards and hairy chest should be considered Ibo,

That's just my 2cent!
what language do u no in igbo? Yoruba man that sleep with anything how far??
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 08, 2012
na wa o who ever put this up no get work don't the people have a right to decide what they are and what they are not ? to be ibo na by force?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 6:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
ak47mann:

This site love tribalism is already on front page carry go  cool cool i hope you post cheque to all the bigots in the house,

I just noticed.  grin grin grin grin grin grin Na wa oo!!! this made it on the front page.

Seun i hail thee
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 6:13pm On Feb 08, 2012
joe george:

na wa o who ever put this up no get work don't the people have a right to decide what they are and what they are not ? to be ibo na by force?
and tell them to stop answering igbo names is it by force?
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by ak47mann(m): 6:15pm On Feb 08, 2012
One_Naira:

I just noticed.  grin grin grin grin grin grin Na wa oo!!! this made it on the front page.

Seun i hail thee
u noticed it cool i have seen a lot of politics in this NL cool cool
Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by nduchucks: 6:16pm On Feb 08, 2012
The Ikwerre people are not Igbos, period.  Right from about the 16th century, the Igbo has been in touch with Ikwerre (through slave trade, Arochuku activities, goods trading, hiring of labour for farm work, marriages and politics) and had always wanted to dominate, colonise and take over Ikwerre at all cost and by all means possible.

This is natural especially where the dominated people (Ikwerre) are better endowed than the colonising power (Igbo), coupled with the ever tendency of a bigger group to swallow a smaller one and whenever the latter refuses, the former resorts to cheap propaganda. That is exactly what people like Naijaking are probably are bent on doing to Ikwerre, here on NL.

We are watching you people and your misinformation will be exposed once identified.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? by OneNaira6: 6:19pm On Feb 08, 2012
manchy7531:

The thing is a thread like this is what’s causing the problem. Una over glorify it too much, I get you are wondering why some deny their Igbo identity is there but while you worry yourself about the deniers, you completely forget about the bigger percentage of the non-deniers.  It is like how in an effort to cause problems, the NL chameleon, Alj_harem, opened a thread about how Anioma denies being Igbo but disregarding the anioma doing such aren't the majority. Take what you hear on NL or online with a little grain of salt.
The Ikwerre that deny Igbo, I believe you should just let them pick or choose whatever as long as they don't think or believe their opinion is universal thus speaking for everyone and dragging everyone into their mold of believes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? / The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria / Meet Simi Oluwaseyi Phebian, Sister Of Ooni Of Ife's Wife Changes Her Bio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.