Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,994 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:06 AM

Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language (2912 Views)

Why Can't His Joystick Penetrate Me Fully? / Will You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? Men Speak / Why Can't Single People 'Just Say No' To Married People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Ideraolu: 10:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
Fellow NL, i have a burning issue to share via these thread.
It seems low to some parents to see their children speak their native language.
In comparison to other ethnics beyond the shore of Nigeria, The French, Germans, latvians, Chinese, Indians but to mention a few train their kids with their native tongue with pride.

Most facilities in the U.K., now have some signages and literatures in some of their documents written in Nigerian Laguages but in Nigeria we are divorcing our native languages for endless reasons.

Does understanding your language impedes opportunities?.

Please, lets share some of our objective views.
Thanks
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Odunnu: 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
When your spouse is from a different geographical location from you and both of you use the official English language in communicating, what language would be advisable to be used for the children when they come?
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Ideraolu: 10:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
Odunnu:

When your spouse is from a different geographical location from you and both of you use the official English language in communicating, what language would be advisable to be used for the children when they come?

A very clinical way to visit the topic, I can't agree with you more that english language will be a common ground where both parent are of different language.

What of parents that are from the same part of the world i.e, Igbo-Igbo, Yoruba-Yoruba, Hausa-Hausa?.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by moremi2008(m): 7:17am On Feb 10, 2012
This is largely common in impoverished wannabe homes. They think depriving their children from learning their mother tongue will make them posher and more successful!
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Ideraolu: 9:56am On Feb 10, 2012
moremi2008:

This is largely common in impoverished wannabe homes. They think depriving their children from learning their mother tongue will make them posher and more successful!

You are spot-on, the examples speaks volume.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Afam4eva(m): 5:51pm On Feb 10, 2012
I pray that the federal government will deprive any citizen who can't speak their mother tongue all the pecks of being a Nigeria which include Jobs. I'm tired of parents not teaching their children their native tongue.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by moremi2008(m): 6:42pm On Feb 10, 2012
afam4eva:

I pray that the federal government will deprive any citizen who can't speak their mother tongue all the pecks of being a Nigeria which include Jobs. I'm tired of parents not teaching their children their native tongue.

I speak both Yoruba & English fluently (and I got As in both Yoruba and English in my WAEC exams). Same thing for the rest of my family (in fact, my Mum LOVED making us read the Yoruba bible out loud during family devotions). My grandmother of blessed memory was adamant that we learn Yoruba as little kids and I am forever grateful to her for this. I am as posh as a Nigerian can possibly get without turning into an Old Ikoyi cretin so it REALLY annoys me when semi-illiterates think depriving their children of their mother tongue will somehow make them special and successful. It doesn't! But your kids will hate you when they grow up and can't connect to their roots because of language barriers.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Ideraolu: 7:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
moremi2008:

I speak both Yoruba & English fluently (and I got As in both Yoruba and English in my WAEC exams). Same thing for the rest of my family (in fact, my Mum LOVED making us read the Yoruba bible out loud during family devotions). My grandmother of blessed memory was adamant that we learn Yoruba as little kids and I am forever grateful to her for this. I am as posh as a Nigerian can possibly get without turning into an Old Ikoyi cretin so it REALLY annoys me when semi-illiterates think depriving their children of their mother tongue will somehow make them special and successful. It doesn't! But your kids will hate you when they grow up and can't connect to their roots because of language barriers.

@ Moremi, Superb is all i have to say to your take on the topic, some people are intimidated when they speak their mother tongue. Have u heard about people being called local chaps all for speaking indigenous language.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 8:24pm On Feb 10, 2012
Cos there is no time to teach them
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 10, 2012
moremi2008:

undecided undecided undecided undecided

You must be like 16! undecided undecided
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by chika98: 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2012
moremi2008:

Why do you ALWAYS come off as a brag? You really have nothing to prove to anyone on NL. Seriously we're all faceless here. You come off as someone who wants to let everyone know that he's got something to offer, educated, good looking etc. People who have so much to offer rarely talk about it. In my language they say " Ahia oma n'ere onwe ya" Literally it means " A good market sells itself". Chill dude.

Before you go on the offensive and attack me; re read what I've just said and think about it as I come in peace. Not being disrespectful at all.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by moremi2008(m): 11:08pm On Feb 10, 2012
chika98:

Why do you ALWAYS come off as a brag? You really have nothing to prove to anyone on NL. Seriously we're all faceless here. You come off as someone who wants to let everyone know that he's got something to offer, educated, good looking etc. People who have so much to offer rarely talk about it. In my language they say " Ahia oma n'ere onwe ya" Literally it means " A good market sells itself". Chill dude.

Before you go on the offensive and attack me; re read what I've just said and think about it as I come in peace. Not being disrespectful at all.

My dearest mgbeke princess, sorry if I hurt your feelings. grin grin grin I feel free to say things the way they are without any sugar-coating or false humility because it's a faceless forum and nobody knows who I am on here (except for a few real-life friends that are also on here). I wouldn't call it bragging; there is nothing to gain from bragging on an internet forum. I only said what I said to prove a point; I speak razz, ijinle Yoruba! You can't test me when it comes to my mother tongue!

It's ironic that Nigerians are one of the most materialistic and status-obsessed peoples on the face of the earth but yet, they like to hold faceless strangers to bizarre standards of humility on a faceless internet forum. Are you THAT worried about proud Nigerians? Then make a placard and go protest in front of AIS or Loyola Jesuit. Better still, go self-immolate at the next owambe wedding you see. Stop playing humility police on NL and if you must, go to the auto section to harass those displaying their luxury vehicles. I haven't said anything that's particularly boastful (except in jest or mockery grin) on here besides stating basic ordinary fact. Did I post my name or picture? So what then is your problem? Stop getting all indignant for nothing jor! And please send me your nude pics if you're young, pretty and ready to mingle. grin
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Freesia(f): 11:26pm On Feb 10, 2012
It's kinda hard when both parents are different tribes
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by chika98: 2:28am On Feb 11, 2012
moremi2008:

My dearest mgbeke princess, sorry if I hurt your feelings. grin grin grin I feel free to say things the way they are without any sugar-coating or false humility because it's a faceless forum and nobody knows who I am on here (except for a few real-life friends that are also on here). I wouldn't call it bragging; there is nothing to gain from bragging on an internet forum. I only said what I said to prove a point; I speak razz, ijinle Yoruba! You can't test me when it comes to my mother tongue!

It's ironic that Nigerians are one of the most materialistic and status-obsessed peoples on the face of the earth but yet, they like to hold faceless strangers to bizarre standards of humility on a faceless internet forum. Are you THAT worried about proud Nigerians? Then make a placard and go protest in front of AIS or Loyola Jesuit. Better still, go self-immolate at the next owambe wedding you see. Stop playing humility police on NL and if you must, go to the auto section to harass those displaying their luxury vehicles. I haven't said anything that's particularly boastful (except in jest or mockery grin) on here besides stating basic ordinary fact. Did I post my name or picture? So what then is your problem? Stop getting all indignant for nothing jor! And please send me your Unclad pics if you're young, pretty and ready to mingle.  grin

Our culture promotes the idea of materialism yes I do agree but I wasn't even on about all that. You've totally missed the point. I wasn't even thinking that deep into it. I've met loads of Nigerians who are not ostentatious or fueled by the desire for material things. Honestly, nope I'm not worried at all about proud Nigerians neither do I feel the need to police anyone. My question was one of " face value" so to speak really but then again I'm not one for back and forth. I feel it is a waste of time and quite frankly I'd say carry on then. Whatever floats your  boat.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by moremi2008(m): 3:10am On Feb 11, 2012
chika98:

Our culture promotes the idea of materialism yes I do agree but I wasn't even on about all that. You've totally missed the point. I wasn't even thinking that deep into it. I've met loads of Nigerians who are not ostentatious or fueled by the desire for material things. Honestly, nope I'm not worried at all about proud Nigerians neither do I feel the need to police anyone. My question was one of " face value" so to speak really but then again I'm not one for back and forth. I feel it is a waste of time and quite frankly I'd say carry on then. Whatever floats your  boat.

I am glad you realize that online interactions are largely "face value". I am not ostentatious in real life but that doesn't mean I'll censor myself on the internet to appease humility-police.

I would love to continue our "back and forth" in private. Oya, send me your pics! Nothing better than "back and forth" with a pretty girl on the weekend! wink
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Afam4eva(m): 5:01am On Feb 11, 2012
If your parents are from two different tribes then just learn your father's language since that's where you come from. Better still learn anyone that tickles your fancy.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Ideraolu: 1:21pm On Feb 11, 2012
afam4eva:

If your parents are from two different tribes then just learn your father's language since that's where you come from. Better still learn anyone that tickles your fancy.

Freesia:

It's kinda hard when both parents are different tribes

Really difficult if both parent are of different tribes, but i think the notion from afam4eva that "If your parents are from two different tribes then just learn your father's language since that's where you come from" might need to be agreed on by both parent.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by babaowo: 3:47pm On Feb 11, 2012
I disagree with those said if the parents were from different tribes,because that should be an advantage for kids to learn more than two languages,an average kids has an ability to understand more 3 languages.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by rubi96(f): 4:07pm On Feb 15, 2012
Odunnu:

my parents are from diff.ethnic groups, mum is urhobo, while dad is delta ibo. Right from childhood they spoke and still speak their diff lang to us and we learned both though they communicate in english.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Ideraolu: 7:16pm On Feb 15, 2012
rubi96:

my parents are from diff.ethnic groups, mum is urhobo, while dad is delta ibo. Right from childhood they spoke and still speak their diff lang to us and we learned both though they communicate in english.

It has been proven that children often emulate whatever that consider goodies to their parents, they will go for any language you throw at them (i.e, any language the household embraces).
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 9:59pm On Jul 25, 2012
babaowo: I disagree with those said if the parents were from different tribes,because that should be an advantage for kids to learn more than two languages,an average kids has an ability to understand more 3 languages.

Wish i could teach them, but no time
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 26, 2012
Odunnu: When your spouse is from a different geographical location from you and both of you use the official English language in communicating, what language would be advisable to be used for the children when they come?

There are people who speak effectively up to 3 languages or more. . .
So why cant these intelligent children learn the 2 languages of both parent and have a sense of belonging to their tribes?
Language turns the brain on. Its easy for kids to learn.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by meyri: 7:39am On Jul 27, 2012
It depends on where parents place their priorities. It has nothing to do with not having time, learning a lang. start with words/conversation. Parent have time to speak to their children in English yet cannot make time to talk in their native lang. Hmm...Neither does parents from diff. tribe should not be a hindrance. Both of my parents are from different tribes yet they were still able to teach me their language. We had a no English policy at home accept if the subject dealt w/ education matters. We are blessed to be from a country that speaks many lang. yet many can't speak one. It's a shame.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 1:06pm On Jul 27, 2012
^^^ And when the parents have to worry about putting clothes on the back of those kid(s), a roof over their heads and food on their table, teaching them language is not up there, cos you have to spend time to help them with assignments as well . . . . Good to teach them oh, but just aint that easy
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 27, 2012
Odunnu: When your spouse is from a different geographical location from you and both of you use the official English language in communicating, what language would be advisable to be used for the children when they come?

Still no excuse in my book. I have a German friend whose husband is Egyptian, their three year old son understands and speak 3 languages already. She speaks German to him, her hubby speaks Arabic to him and the rest of us speak English to him, and he switches perfectly between the 3 languages.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fhemmmy: ^^^ And when the parents have to worry about putting clothes on the back of those kid(s), a roof over their heads and food on their table, teaching them language is not up there, cos you have to spend time to help them with assignments as well . . . . Good to teach them oh, but just aint that easy

Oga mi, it's a lot easier than you think, just speak your mother tongue at home at all times and they'll pick it up.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2012
naijababe:

Oga mi, it's a lot easier than you think, just speak your mother tongue at home at all times and they'll pick it up.

I do agree with you, but not that easy too . . . so you speak it and they dont understand what you saying, how do they pick it up?
From what i have seen, seems easier when their grandma lives in same house as them . . tongue Or maybe i am just lazy jare
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I do agree with you, but not that easy too . . . so you speak it and they dont understand what you saying, how do they pick it up?
From what i have seen, seems easier when their grandma lives in same house as them . . tongue Or maybe i am just lazy jare

Wrong, speak to them and to each other and they will pick it up, trust me.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 1:50pm On Jul 27, 2012
naijababe:

Wrong, speak to them and to each other and they will pick it up, trust me.

OK, i will try it and let you know, but those kids aint easy to teach jare
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

OK, i will try it and let you know, but those kids aint easy to teach jare

You are not supposed to teach them like you teach a,b,c. . .
All you do is to COMMUNICATE to them in that language, and gradually they will pickup.

When they need food, water or other basic things, teach them how to say it in that language and they will grab it faster than the speed of light.
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by Fhemmmy: 2:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
breezy047:

You are not supposed to teach them like you teach a,b,c. . .
All you do is to COMMUNICATE to them in that language, and gradually they will pickup.

When they need food, water or other basic things, teach them how to say it in that language and they will grab it faster than the speed of light.

Will give it a try and if it no work, i will come back to you and Nijababe . . . .
Re: Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language by JallowBah(f): 10:17pm On Jul 27, 2012

Me and my sppuse speak mainly in english, but still; he talks fulani for our child, I talk norwegian. It aint worse than that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Will You Ask For If You Were To Choose? (pix) / Weird Facts About Left-handed People / Describe This Cook In One Word

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.