Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,766 members, 7,806,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion (1174 Views)

Obanikoro Sues Sahara Reporters, Premium Times & Punch Newspapers / Nigeria Woman Sues New York City For $900 Trillion / Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by kennyeast(m): 3:57am On Feb 09, 2012
A Staten Island mom is making national headlines today after suing the city of West Brighton for $900 trillion, alleging the city improperly placed her two children in foster care.

The $900 trillion figure, first reported by the New York Post, certainly is staggering and the standard response so far has been to treat the lawsuit as something of a joke, focusing on the mother's alleged mental illness.

But I have to agree with the Inquisitr's Kim LaCapria, who says plaintiff Fausat Ogunbayo is actually quite clever in choosing to sue for $900 trillion. After all, how many people would be reading about this story and discussing Ogunbayo's plight had she quietly filed her petition without seeking monetary compensation?

Of course there's no way she'll get a settlement remotely approaching that number, if she is awarded anything at all. After all, the entire U.S. has an annual gross national income of just over $14 trillion. Or, put another way, if Ogunbayo was awarded $900 trillion she'd have enough disposable income to pay off the U.S. national debt several dozen times over.

Ogunbayo sued the city and the Administration for Children's Services (ACS), alleging that both entities violated her and her children's civil liberties by placing them in foster care in June, 2008. In her lawsuit, obtained by The Smoking Gun, Ogunbayo listed her grievances as follows:

"For causing plaintiff substantial economic hardship; for causing plaintiff substantial economic injuries; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff children's Civil Right, 42 U.S.C. section 1983; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff's children, the right to family integrity; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff's children, the right to life, liberty, property and the right guaranteed by statute; for disregarding the probability of plaintiff's children, suffering emotional and mental distress."

The city has not responded to Ogunbayo's lawsuit but contends that she is mentally ill and unable to properly care for her two boys, who are now teenagers.The New York City Law Department released a statement to ABC News, which said, "We are unable to comment on pending litigation. The amount a plaintiff requests in a lawsuit has no bearing on whether the case has any merit and no relation to actual damages if any."

The state alleges Ogunbayo suffers from hallucinations, refuses mental health treatment and placed her children at risk by leaving them at home for several hours each day. Two of the more specific allegations are that Ogunbayo wrote to her children's former school, insisting that the FBI and Secret Service were after her children and that their skin was becoming darker due to radiation exposure.

However, the state Appellate Division recently threw out a family court finding that Ogunbayo was guilty of neglecting her children. "Proof of mental illness alone will not support a finding of neglect," the court ruled, according to SILive.com

Ogunbayo is representing herself in the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/mother-sues-city-900-trillion-yes-trillion-placing-213613703.html
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by kennyeast(m): 3:59am On Feb 09, 2012
EVEN MAD WOMEN MAKE NEWS THIS DAYS grin grin grin
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by NegroNtns(m): 4:05am On Feb 09, 2012
. . . . representing herself OP, please give her my email address, neegronations@gmail.com.

In fact, you know what. . .dont worry, ill track her down myself. representing herself my as s!! Heading back to NY. cool
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by BlackPikiN(m): 4:19am On Feb 09, 2012
^^^^^shut up opportunist!

@Topic
This news na from yahoonews meaning say the woman don maga! cheesy cheesy
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by Kobojunkie: 4:38am On Feb 09, 2012
kennyeast:

The state alleges Ogunbayo suffers from hallucinations, refuses mental health treatment and placed her children at risk by leaving them at home for several hours each day. Two of the more specific allegations are that Ogunbayo wrote to her children's former school, insisting that the FBI and Secret Service were after her children and that their skin was becoming darker due to radiation exposure.

However, the state Appellate Division recently threw out a family court finding that Ogunbayo was guilty of neglecting her children. "Proof of mental illness alone will not support a finding of neglect," the court ruled, according to SILive.com

Interesting story!
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by NegroNtns(m): 4:58am On Feb 09, 2012
^^^^^shut up opportunist!

. . .yeye! put yourself to some use. . . . i'm trying to find good rates for hotel in Bronx, see what you can find for me.
u live in NY?
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by Lasinoh: 5:03am On Feb 09, 2012
[size=20pt]Fausat Ogunbayo[/size]

No surprises there.

Where is/are the father/s of those children? undecided
Prolly doing 'business' in Nigeria.
Sheeesh!

Prolly leaving the children at home by themselves to go and look for 'twenrry dollar' change to spray in owanmbe! grin
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by Nobody: 5:23am On Feb 09, 2012
kennyeast:

EVEN MAD WOMEN MAKE NEWS THIS DAYS grin grin grin

Even[b] supposedly normal [/b]people dont know when to use "This" or "These".

J/K tongue
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by BlackPikiN(m): 5:26am On Feb 09, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

. . .yeye! put yourself to some use. . . . i'm trying to find good rates for hotel in Bronx, see what you can find for me.
u live in NY?

Na, Live in Guantanamo Cuba.
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by NegroNtns(m): 5:41am On Feb 09, 2012
Guanta where? why? al qaida blood run for ya family?
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by Nobody: 5:55am On Feb 09, 2012
She needs to go siddon somewhere with her greedy selfish self.

Instead of building up America for a brighter future, she's stealing from her. The country is already indebted.

Ole na her story. Some pipu wan chop clean mouth without working for it.
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by BlackPikiN(m): 6:01am On Feb 09, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Guanta where? why? al qaida blood run for ya family?
Yeah. Na there I dey.

Anymore questions?
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by Nobody: 8:35am On Feb 09, 2012
@Lasinoh

As i com see your face na him i know sey i know you well well
so know sey person fit see u for road one day wooze you slap turn turn
if you nor stop these yoruba bashin wey u dey do
Re: Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion by mukina2: 8:49am On Feb 09, 2012

(1)

'Mandela Was Brutal And Unfair,' F.W. De Klerk / TB JOSHUA - Don't Bring My Name Into Ondo State Political Propaganda / Achtung!!! United States Need of Our Crude Oil Is Over !!! What Next For Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.