Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,017 members, 7,799,473 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja (88394 Views)

U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals / Visa Interview Date With The American Embassy, Any Advice? / Red Alert! American Embassy Abuja, Keep Away From The Asian Lady. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by ojeriakhij: 6:22pm On Mar 09, 2010
I had my interview and it was so ,

What you wanna go and do in the US
i replied

How did your cousin get to the US
i replied

Have you ever traveled before
i replied

How did your cousin get his citizenship
i replied

Ain't you suppose to be in school
i replied

What course do you wanna read
i replied

The next thing i heard was, I AM SORRY ITS REALLY HARD FOR A STUDENT LIKE YOU TO GET A VISITING VISA TO THE UNITED STATES,
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by kenuoyibo(m): 11:27pm On Mar 20, 2010
I suggest you should try d american embassy in abuja for a rebound. i wont advice you to apply in lagos, ur chances may be slim down here.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by ojeriakhij: 3:34pm On Mar 22, 2010
See if God want to bless you its not by going or not going to Abuja, see i will get interviewed in lagos and get my visa in jesus name, i have already book the appointment so there is nothing any body can do just pray 4 me, this is my time to shine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by kenuoyibo(m): 2:25am On Mar 23, 2010
@ojeriakhij
Please if it pulls thru for you in Lagos, let us know, okay?

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Dantecmu(m): 11:02am On Mar 25, 2010
Its really amazing that after 4yrs this post still means a lot to pple well that was my experience with the united states of yankee n up until now i still haven't gone back to that embassy withing that period of tyme i have built up my passport ryt now am planning another appearance at the embassy come APRIL this time around id rather do a hotel reservation at least withing the last 4yrs ma job has changed pay increased status changed n i have been to more countries so am wondring what the excuse would be now for those who have gone n have conquered lets hear from you.

tnx

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Dantecmu(m): 10:19am On Mar 30, 2010
which is better continue with IV i used previously or make a confirmed reservation which is better. ?
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by megastu(m): 11:49am On Mar 30, 2010
with your status change i am very positive about them giving you the visa. You can use hotel reservation. However, these guys dont even check any document.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Dantecmu(m): 8:16am On Mar 31, 2010
megastu:

with your status change i am very positive about them giving you the visa. You can use hotel reservation. However, these guys dont even check any document.

Tnx for the prompt response maybe i would just do the hotel thingy strictly on ma own because e fit be say na because of that guy them dey deny me self so the best thing na to do ma tingy n carry ma cross i would definatly get back to the house on the result of that interview come MAY watever the outcome is to me its freestlyle no shaking na ma money na ma passport na me na me n more over sometymes visa aint even the issue the issue is pocket money to be spent on vacation DELTA AIRLINE GOES FOR LIKE 230K N ARIK 250K dats crazy man.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by nattyspice: 11:42am On Mar 31, 2010
@dan.you can fly to u.s.a with 90,000 naira,tax exclusive.check the Iberia airlines office in lagos or google there website

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Dantecmu(m): 1:47pm On May 06, 2010
Some two months ago i promised to keep the house posted on the result of my interview come MAY well the interview has come and gone. i didn't use my uncles invite instead i used conference/hotel reservation here goes the interview

Interviewer, have you traveled be four,
me, yes
inter to where pls
me , uk n here n here n here n here
inter where in the US are u going to
me i told her
inter where do u work
me i told her
inter how long
me i told her
inter be four then where did u work
me i told her
inter what do u do where u work
me i told her
inter who is paying for ur trip
me i told her my self
inter are u married
me i answered har nup
inter do u have kids
me i told her
inter dont u think this trip would be expensive for u
me i told her i had enough money to take kare of maself.
inter ok MR, come pick up ur visa you have a wonderful time in US
me tnk u

DAT WAS ALL VISA ISSUED. NOTE THAT THIS WAS MY 4TH ATTEMPT WELL IT WAS WORTH THE HASSLE I HOPE SOME PPLE WOULD BENEFIT FROM MY EXPERIENCE. CONSISTENCY IN INFORMATION HELPED ME THE TRUTH ALSO DID I WOULD BE LEAVING FOR THE US SOON AND WOULD BE BACK AS SOON AS MY CONFERENCE IS OVER,

DANTE
CMU

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 06, 2010
Dantecmu:

Some two months ago i promised to keep the house posted on the result of my interview come MAY well the interview has come and gone. i didn't use my uncles invite instead i used conference/hotel reservation here goes the interview

Interviewer, have you traveled be four,
me, yes
inter to where pls
me , uk n here n here n here n here
inter where in the US are u going to
me i told her
inter where do u work
me i told her
inter how long
me i told her
inter be four then where did u work
me i told her
inter what do u do where u work
me i told her
inter who is paying for your trip
me i told her my self
inter are u married
me i answered har nup
inter do u have kids
me i told her
inter dont u think this trip would be expensive for u
me i told her i had enough money to take kare of maself.
inter ok MR, come pick up your visa you have a wonderful time in US
me tnk u

DAT WAS ALL VISA ISSUED. NOTE THAT THIS WAS MY 4TH ATTEMPT WELL IT WAS WORTH THE HASSLE I HOPE SOME PPLE WOULD BENEFIT FROM MY EXPERIENCE. CONSISTENCY IN INFORMATION HELPED ME THE TRUTH ALSO DID I WOULD BE LEAVING FOR THE US SOON AND WOULD BE BACK AS SOON AS MY CONFERENCE IS OVER,

DANTE
CMU

Thats good news. Make sure u don't forget to buy ur Nairaland brothers som okirika, lol.
All da best.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by toshmann(m): 7:22pm On May 06, 2010
and pls bring some suya and kpomo when you are coming cheesy
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by megastu(m): 2:08pm On May 07, 2010
@poster,

I told you. Those questions are generic. Thats exactly what they ask for. Responses determine, to a large extend if the visa will be given. I have attended over 10 visa interviews both in Nigeria and also in Europe. The key thing is CONFIDENCE, CONFIDENCE AND CONFIDENCE. This is usually a function of who you are, for example if you have enough money to spend on clothes and generally appear nice, also your confidence usually builds up as a result of your exposure;either local or international. and lastly, you can also build confidence by just being an outright criminal( what i mean is that, you will smile, when you dont intend to smile, consistent lies come up on its own, etc etc.)

These consular officers are just normal people. Believe me i have told a consular officer 9although a nigerian) that she shouldnt ask me for some of the documents she was asking, because i have been to the country whose embassy she works for and i am sure she hasnt been there. There were other things i said also that got her thinking.

Poster, the tickest are not cheap at all. However, when you get a ticket quote, let me know to see if i can get it cheaper for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by ojeriakhij: 1:35pm On May 08, 2010
Mum those guys at the embassy are real crazy,

My interview goes thus,

What you wanna go and do in the US
i want to go and visit my cousin

How did your cousin get to the US
Through his mother my aunt

No

How did your cousin get his citizenship
Through naturalization

yeah sure i tried getting an admission into the university but i have not yet gotten 1

What course do you wanna read
Civil law

he laughed and he started operating his computer.

The next thing i heard was, I AM SORRY ITS REALLY HARD FOR A STUDENT LIKE YOU TO GET A VISITING VISA TO THE UNITED STATES,

this was how mine went ooo GOD DEY.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by toshmann(m): 8:38pm On May 08, 2010
ojeriakhij:

No

bad case for a young person.

yeah sure i tried getting an admission into the university but i have not yet gotten 1

another bad scenario. truth you told but a really disadvantageous one. note: it aint ur fault. it is what it is

he laughed and he started operating his computer.

wicked fellow, making a mockery of you. this guy is not better than you. i know you feel bad but it aint your fault. it is what it is. try getting into school and trying again during a holiday or better still wait till you've graduated and started working. what you need?
luck, luck luck favor of God, a job, money in ur account which comes and goes. and confidence at the interview. dont get intimidated or angry. look them in the eye and say what u wanna say. period.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by abey2(m): 1:54am On May 13, 2010
Hello everybody!!! this is my first time in the travelling section and i find it interesting,the threads sound indepth and true unlike what obtains in other sections,
Well, i have also experienced visa disappointment last January, here in lagos.i think wat caused my denial was d fear dat radiated all over my face as i spoke and i ended up in mess, i generally think it boils down to grace cos the girl who sat next to me was approved that day, am hoping to get invaluable piece of advice from u guys as i brace up to re-climb this HORSE called interview, smiley
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by abey2(m): 2:12am On May 13, 2010
The key thing is CONFIDENCE, CONFIDENCE AND CONFIDENCE., TRUTH.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Princessty(f): 4:16pm On Jul 13, 2010
Dat Is Abuja D One In Lagos Is Worse I Am An American Born Nigerian My Passport Expired So Me And My Mum Went To The US Embassy And Dey Didnt let us in d first dey we waited for hours we had ro come back on d second day
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Adebiopon: 1:52am On Jul 30, 2010
@tamila, pls i will like to have ur mail address, to make enquiry on certains issues. Mine is greatbabatee@yahoo.com. Thanks for ur concern
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by RhymeStuntSinatra(m): 10:17am On Feb 11, 2012
Firstly I would love to thank y'all in advance as Ive been starved inefficiently of information regarding travel to the US on a DS-160 Non immigrant visa
Im a student in the University of Lagos and got this girl I met online who wants me to come over for a short visit

I got an aunt who is a multi-millionaire and this girl (US invitee) is willing to send a few documents I require,

What documents deems the most required as I gotta find out that they don't give a hoot bout your documents

and lastly, Can I indicate im a student and would be returning back.
Thanks in advanced
Viva Nairaland
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by sabbath7th: 4:01pm On Feb 11, 2012
How old are you and how old is the girl who is inviting you? Are you married and have children? It will raise a red flag if the girl is of your age because the VO is going to think that you'll try to marry her and not come back. It don't matter how much money you have or who is sponsoring you, you need to convince the VO that you'll come back after your visit. You'll have to show strong ties to Nigeria.
If you are Married and have children it might help or if you are in a good job and make very good money. Thats why its very hard for anyone to get B1 or B2 visa for US.
Remember everyone is considered a potiential immigrant to the US and its your job to convince the VO otherwise.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by RhymeStuntSinatra(m): 4:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by sabbath7th: 6:04pm On Feb 17, 2012
For a tourist VISA it don't matter who invites you, its only your current situation that matters. Your finances, family ties and job ties. With you having nojob and no family ties the VO is going to assume that you'll not return back to Nigeria.
The worse thing for you would be to have that Girl invite you, because the VO will assume that you'll marry her and try to change your status.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by jayfuju: 2:04pm On Mar 23, 2012
lol, i hav read all d comments on the experience at the american embassy abuja, my experience was 2 days ago, abeg oh! my own offence be say i tell d guy say i no wan born for there na just to go shopping. Shikena! They didnt even look at any supporting documents, coupled with the fact that I have evidence of free medical service in Nigeria (office sponsor) why would i go give birth for 5000usd!

my interview was actually in lagos, i guess the interviewer felt intimidated or set back by my response, lol, coupled with the fact dat i'm a lawyer, he just registered "trained liar" in his brain. lol, but is it a crime to say the truth?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by sunnybebe(m): 10:20pm On Mar 23, 2012
men i am in love with this forum,i decided to read educate myself on this usa visa inteview thing,i have laugh my heart out,i will be their soon though i do not care if the visa in giving to me or not,my girl friend is inviting me to her wedding,she is paying for everything,as compasetion to me,guys i have realy learn alot here,i feel like giving you guys bottles or shinshinnbobo,though i am there with all confidence.
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by meggy11: 3:09pm On Apr 14, 2012
more experience guys. loving this thread
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by claycares: 8:22pm On Jun 22, 2012
Hi everyone, pls help if u can because this thing na something else. I applied last 2 years for B1 to participate in a conference but was refused on the basis that I was a student. My Uni was supposed to sponsor.
So I travelled to the Uni Oxford, Uk last April for a conference and came back. Now, the US organisers have just confirmed my participation this October. My institution now, a Fed Govt body is willing to provide a cover letter but Im wondering if I should go face those those folks again?
My finances have not improved much, just half a mil, but my institution is sponsoring the trip. Secondly, can I still get an appointment before 5th Oct in Lagos. Im employed. Its a group of 4 thing. Whats your take?
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Wagnacash: 5:16pm On Dec 03, 2013
Yea I hope with all I read in this forum I think going to abuja or lagos for the interview is not very necessary than God involvement and one need to be bouyant to give them a convicing answer well am also having an appointment there for my interview in some weeks time and I think I can gain much here from peoples experince@the embassy......wishing maself goodluck

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by Idazbawz(m): 9:02pm On Dec 24, 2013
Hello NLanders,
I went for an F-1 Visa interview today(24th dec 2013) in Lagos and was denied VISA. Here's my Interview:
ME: Hello Sir
V0: No response
VO: why are you going to America
ME: In order to pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering Tech at Eastern Michigan University
VO: Bachelor's?
ME: Yes!
VO: Whats the name of your School?
ME: EMU.
VO: why EMU?
ME: EMU is an area rich in academic, technological, and recreational resources. Also, I've interected with some graduates and i got to knw that Engineering majors are handled to the fullest.
VO: what will you do with your degree?
ME: my Dad already secured a job for me here in Nigeria.
VO: what Job?
ME: managing director of the oil company he's about to build.
VO: what does he do?
ME: works with NNPC
VO: you graduated from Fortune Private School?
ME: yes!
VO: unfortunate, we cannot issue u a visa....

Pls, what's my offence?
Should i reapply in Abuja Embassy instead of Lagos Pls reply soon...
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by tobyslim: 1:28am On Nov 09, 2014
i applied to a university in US and i want to know how to overcome the embassy wahala ...i have the admission already
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by honeyad(m): 8:27am On Nov 09, 2014
tobyslim:
i applied to a university in US and i want to know how to overcome the embassy wahala ...i have the admission already

https://www.nairaland.com/1869186/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part
Re: My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja by ImaIma1(f): 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2015
Hi nairalanders dis post is really educative.

My case is from scratch. I need advice. I dont even hv my passport yet. I hv only travelled to Ghana, cote d'voire with ecowas passport. So am jst processing my international passport at d moment.

Will dey give me a US visa with a fresh passport? Am planning for October dis yr. Do i go 2 dubai during d Easter break to make sure d passport is stamped first?

Also how many months before the trip do i need 2 apply?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Malnourished Lions At Port Harcourt Zoo. Nigerians React To Photo / See How Empty, Morning Flight Was This Morning. (Photos) / China Completes It's £9 Billion Mega Airport In Beijing After 4 Years (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.