Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? (6245 Views)

UNIBEN Students Generate “Supplementary” Income In The Hostel [PICS] / See The Long Snake Killed In Uniben Hostel Hall 3 / Merit & Demerits Of An Online Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Shdsunday: 11:31pm On Feb 09, 2012
Someone should plz say something cuz dis is a burning issue right now and u never can tell, ur contributions can rescue or orientate somebody.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Raylight2(m): 11:46pm On Feb 09, 2012
One of the demerits is that you should always be ready for rancour till both of u get to understand each other. If u can afford paying ur rent alone, I'll advice not having a room mate. I personally don't have one and I'm free as the birds.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 10, 2012
Demerits:
Your things are never safe, your privacy is at stake, you always get into disagreement, you might not be comfortable, maximum disturbance and etc

Merits: a tree doesn't make a forest, u get to share things amongst eachother(you complement eachother), you learn tolerance and hospitality, easy access to latest information and etc. All in all, it can't be smooth, u will av to adjust. I'll rather live wit roomates in hostel than roomates in off-k accomodation. It's better to stay alone in off-k than wit ppl, u won't understand unless u try it.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by fred2265: 4:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by GboyegaD(m): 4:41pm On Feb 10, 2012
The only demerits I see is if the person is a thief and steals your belongings otherwise, there are no demerits. During my undergraduate days for instance, in my hall, not only were we so much, but we had squatters and I can bet you, they help shape your life into a better person and also makes you appreciate people irrespective of their orientation or background. All you need is learn to be yourself, see the good sides of others and above all, what you know someone else doesn't like, do not do to ther person as the golden rule is "do unto others as you want them to do unto you". As for privacy, trust me roommates understand. All you guys need are the right codes that depicts the number of hours you need and I can tell you, even the pastor in your room would have no choice other than cooperate otherwise, he wants to put himself under temptation and you have to be reasonable as well cos you do not expect your roommates to leave the room for you at night cos of what you want to do.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Dyt(f): 4:50pm On Feb 10, 2012
de-merit
homo

merit
so u dont get scared at nyt
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Shdsunday: 4:53pm On Feb 10, 2012
@GboyegaD, I think u've said it all, i was able to reason nd take note of all u posted nd i believe dese will help as im going to give it a trial, cuz its better for som1 to sojourn wit people of like mindsets than to become a loner.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Tnot(m): 5:08pm On Feb 10, 2012
Guy it depends on d types of people your room mates are.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Eltonluigi(m): 5:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
Coexisting with the opposite sex is the best option if you ever need a roomie off campus.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Wislet(f): 5:15pm On Feb 10, 2012
U Should specify. Are you talking about having more than two or four roommates in a school hostel (general) OR living in a Lodge with one other person (private)??
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by maasoap(m): 5:17pm On Feb 10, 2012
Did you mean off campus or campus accommodation?
For Campus accommodation: I don't think you have choice. But to live with roommate in the campus hostel has many merits: like borrowing money, watching over your properties, sense of brotherhood, quick access to information, easy access to items like computer of your roommates, learning from them which may include school courses, computer operating, etc. It also helps in avoiding being lonely most of the time. You also have power to control their excess by threatening to report them to portals, including your next door neighbours (may be they're playing music too loud, or disturbing you in the midnight with loud prayer).
Demerits: lack of privacy, a roommate who wants to read in the room at midnight will switch on the light thereby preventing you from sleeping properly, your roommate won't steal your properties even if he/she is a thief, but beware of other people in the entire hostel.
I lived in the hostel throughout my five years in school with different 4 or 5 people each year and it was a wonderful experience. In addition, it encourages you to read and study hard when you see them reading. And again, lack of privacy will discourage you from pursuing relationship just because you want to fornicate.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by maasoap(m): 5:18pm On Feb 10, 2012
Did you mean off campus or campus accommodation?
For Campus accommodation: I don't think you have choice. But to live with roommate in the campus hostel has many merits: like borrowing money, watching over your properties, sense of brotherhood, quick access to information, easy access to items like computer of your roommates, learning from them which may include school courses, computer operating, etc. It also helps in avoiding being lonely most of the time. You also have power to control their excess by threatening to report them to portals, including your next door neighbours (may be they're playing music too loud, or disturbing you in the midnight with loud prayer).
Demerits: lack of privacy, a roommate who wants to read in the room at midnight will switch on the light thereby preventing you from sleeping properly, your roommate won't steal your properties even if he/she is a thief, but beware of other people in the entire hostel.
I lived in the hostel throughout my five years in school with different 4 or 5 people each year and it was a wonderful experience. In addition, it encourages you to read and study hard when you see them reading. And again, lack of privacy will discourage you from pursuing relationship just because you want to fornicate.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by GboyegaD(m): 5:21pm On Feb 10, 2012
Shdsunday:

@GboyegaD, I think u've said it all, i was able to reason nd take note of all u posted nd i believe dese will help as im going to give it a trial, cuz its better for som1 to sojourn wit people of like mindsets than to become a loner.

However, please be quick to analyse each of your roommates to know if they would help you succeed or they will destroy you. That way, you can quickly know how to relate with them and the extent to which you make friends with them. I still have a very good relationship with my roommates all through my days in Ife and I had nothing less than 50 of them in my different levels. One thing I noted was for those who stayed in Angola during their 1st year, their roommates determined their success or otherwise because most of them were fresh students who had liberty and some all enjoyed the liberty and they were shown to road 1 while for some, they had serious minded students and they helped them developed the right reading culture that saw them through school and graduating with very good CGPA. So while trying to learn to live with and tolerate people, please be quick to analyse and define the extent of the friendship.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 10, 2012
It's got no bad side really. And if it's theft you're worried about all you need do is properly label your properties.
And @ Dyt, one o' my roomies was gay, and trust me he was a better person than most of my straight hostel mates. He propositioned me once, I wasn't interested, and I simply told him so. It's just like with you girls, we chase, you snub.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by maasoap(m): 5:33pm On Feb 10, 2012
But if you meant off campus, you won't be able to check their excesses. Your roommate may come home with a bf/gf for overnight thereby forcing you to find somewhere else to sleep or making you involuntarily watching the "film". So, if it is off campus, I'll advise you to live alone if you can afford the rent. But you may still end up abusing your total privacy as against my first post.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by yokiti: 5:48pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ GboyegaD, how was you MOZ 101 experience at Great Ife?

@ op, it depends on those you meet, I believe that GboyegaD's advice has said it all.
Goodluck and may you never have any reason to regret and may you receive divine association.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by BigBenoski(m): 5:50pm On Feb 10, 2012
U could wake up by 3.am,barge into d next room and boro a copy of a software dat sells 4 5k out thr. Dude,d hostel rocks! U meet guys wt all kinds of xpertise. . .learn whatever u wana learn free(b careful wot u len tho'). Any demerits??. . . .uhmmnn, Ok mayb d toilets bt we got around dat too. Dude,eva had a 'bush method' on a windy night??trust me,i stil crave 4 dat feeling. If u r in 1 of doz tiny schls wtout bushes in d schl u'l hav 2 mek do wt d general toilet. Back in schl(unn) we loved a particular shyting spot 'cos u get 2 jist wt d chics while u shyte(yea, d chics used 2 vsit thr too). Lawwd! E was so fun!!!
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 10, 2012
BigBenoski:

U could wake up by 3.am,barge into d next room and boro a copy of a software dat sells 4 5k out thr. Dude,d hostel rocks! U meet guys wt all kinds of xpertise. . .learn whatever u wana learn free(b careful wot u len tho'). Any demerits??. . . .uhmmnn, Ok mayb d toilets bt we got around dat too. Dude,eva had a 'bush method' on a windy night??trust me,i stil crave 4 dat feeling. If u r in 1 of doz tiny schls wtout bushes in d schl u'l hav 2 mek do wt d general toilet. Back in schl(unn) we loved a particular shyting spot 'cos u get 2 jist wt d chics while u shyte(yea, d chics used 2 vsit thr too). Lawwd! E was so fun!!!
Man that's disgusting. A community of defecaters.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
@BigBenoski
What was your major?
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by GboyegaD(m): 6:13pm On Feb 10, 2012
samuelorija218:

@ GboyegaD, how was you MOZ 101 experience at Great Ife?

@ op, it depends on those you meet, I believe that GboyegaD's advice has said it all.
Goodluck and may you never have any reason to regret and may you receive divine association.

Very woeful. Growing up, I was a very good mummy and daddy's boy so never saw anything special in that course. Besides, I was always buried in games and dance that they took most of my time. But I had some special friends I visit everyday. In Part II for instance, I was almost a roommate in X10 and everyone in that room knew me because I had a special classmate there and I go there to gist with her and sometimes have dinner. The most interesting was the day I had 3exams in a day and she had 2 so after the last paper, I took one of my friend to her room to eat dinner and the guy came back and started telling everyone why I go to Moz everyday. In Parts III and IV, I was more frequent in W002 and M2 207 in Sports Hall because that was where my new padi then was living. In all, it was a nice experience sha ooooo.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by BigBenoski(m): 6:16pm On Feb 10, 2012
SimonAndal:

Man that's disgusting. A community of defecaters.
 yea man, just played our litle part in d ecosystem or how did u think d plants were able survive? Lets nt even talk abt d microbes
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 10, 2012
The merits outweight the Demerits. U will enjoy it more if u live wit serious minded and mature ppl.

Believe me, there are some ppl u don't wanna live wit. Take dis for example, the roommates of my friend were discussing wit dia friends in my presence(dey didn't know I was dia) how they used to steal his money, eat his food witout mercy, use his properties and return it wen they want. . . Meanwhile dis friend of mine always complain to me and swear never to live in hostel again. He wished he had the kind of my roomates.

In short, you will forever be happy if u live wit gud ppl but wit bad set of ppl you will wish u didn't stay wit dem. The experiences are worth the while.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 10, 2012
*Outweigh rather
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Davidbanky(m): 7:14pm On Feb 10, 2012
@rx steve , Urs is d best ccos off K,roomate can ‎​​♏akξ ur life hell expecially if Ʊ are squatting with him,like he's d one †ђa† paid all †ђξ rent , , then u will just die early
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by uniqueren(f): 7:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ poster , its preferable to stay alone off campus, but hostel life is just the best, if ur roomate no dey hear word, u re-construct her ear, but off campus u have to live with it since u guys share the rent.
BigBenoski:

lol able lion!!

E be lyk say bartho don bulldoze dt site, so no more free gist smileycheesysmileycheesy
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Wislet(f): 7:59pm On Feb 10, 2012
Living in the school hostel is so much fun. No dull moment. It is not a measure of one's pocket size, cos some think that those that live there can't pay to live alone.
People stay there for different reasons. U'd be surprised to see children of Dons and rich men. The things u learn living with different people of varying backgrounds beats all.
Meeting so many people from different backgrounds helps u to learn tolerance. Not to talk of the arguments, brainstorming, sense of community, inter-dependence. It helps u build a better character than u formerly had- after the annoying side of u has undergone criticisms and hammerings. Lol. Plus when u'll come back hungry & somebody has cooked. Lool. Free nurse care when u're down. Communal going to shows. Diverse knowledge u acquire from different experiences.
Anyone that passes through all that and still retains his/her disagreeable character or doesn't acquire some level of maturity, should be pitied.
The merits outweigh the demerits.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Shdsunday: 8:58pm On Feb 10, 2012
Enlightenments garlour! Dats so kind of u guys, u r really nailing d issue nd as they say, ' a word is enough for the wise'.
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by hardeyincah(m): 10:05pm On Feb 10, 2012
Eltonluigi:

Coexisting with the opposite sex is the best option if you ever need a roomie off campus.
Eltonluigi:

Eltonluigi:

I will prefer the word COHABIT instead of COEXIST
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by BigBenoski(m): 10:37pm On Feb 10, 2012
uniqueren:

lol able lion!!

E be lyk say bartho don bulldoze dt site, so no more free gist smileycheesysmileycheesy
what!! All those bushes around franco? Bhind transit camp(around water works)? Dont even tell me he also touched bhind santa villa cos dat'l amount 2 sacrilege
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by uniqueren(f): 10:54pm On Feb 10, 2012
^^^^ haven't u heard of the new biz village, it affected franco, the bush arund works still dey, for santa villa i no too knw, i no dey for that side again
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by oc2fish: 11:52pm On Feb 10, 2012
It fun living in school hostel, you can move around and knock on anybodys door anytime
I remember at Ibadan i use to walk from zik to tedder in search of gari by 3am after reading
and when the book is becoming too boring someone can create few minutes ARROW and
after a good laugh you can read more.
To me NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO demerit
Re: What Are The Merits And Demerits Of Co-existing Or Rather Living Together With Someone In An Hostel? by Emmysteve(m): 2:59am On Feb 11, 2012
oc2fish:

It fun living in school hostel, you can move around and knock on anybodys door anytime
I remember at Ibadan i use to walk from zik to tedder in search of gari by 3am after reading
and when the book is becoming too boring someone can create few minutes ARROW and
after a good laugh you can read more.
To me NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO demerit

[color=][/color][/b][b] You remind of me of my friend Kule that used to shout I WAN DRINK GARRI OH! Arround middle of the nite.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Most Educated Sub-ethnic Group In Nigeria With Over 550 Professors / What Does Credit Load, Credit Unit and Credit Hours Mean In The University? / N47b Primary School Funds Lie Idle At CBN –UBEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.