Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? (8239 Views)

Reltel Wireless Internet Service / How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? / Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by highp: 10:14pm On Oct 18, 2007
how can i be connected
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by kemiluv(f): 10:58am On Oct 19, 2007
Try going to mtn friendship centre at Ikoyi. The road opposite Ikoyi hotel. Its on the same street with the new zenith bank on that road.

I use it at d office and its reliable. Planning on getting one for my laptop too!
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by tkb417(m): 11:08am On Oct 19, 2007
@kemiluv
how much is it? the equipment and the monthly subscription. say 24hrs. I use starcomms but anytime im off Starcomms zone, i dont usually have access.
Im hoping the MTN access will be everywhere. How true is this?
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by zPixel(m): 1:29pm On Oct 19, 2007
The speed is the most important thing. Does anyone know the actually speed? i mean the download speed.

my 200th post after all this years grin
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by abubaka(m): 2:51pm On Oct 19, 2007
@all,

it all depends on wat u want,there is the mtn shackpod which cost N20000 and monthly access fee of N12000 and the speed is 912kps and is accessible anywhere mtn network is active.
Also there is the GPRS service,which you can equally make use of with ur laptop (either connecting it wit USB cable or thru bluetooth) and thats the one i ve been using for all this while nd is reliable.The speed is originally 115kps,but u can tinker it to make it 912kps and if you download either google web accelerator or opera on the system,the speed wld be fantastic.The charges for that one is 60k per kilobyte.
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by desgiezd(m): 2:53pm On Oct 19, 2007
Im also interested in the speed? Pls, Kemiluv, can u enlighten us more.

@TKB417

The equipment is between 28 & 30k while monthly sub for 24hrs is between 13 & 14k

Wanted to buy it im my office sometime ago but we settled for Starcomms EVDO.

I need one for personal use
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by VIPICO(m): 4:37pm On Oct 19, 2007
Please guys lets get the full details. I know so many of us will be interested.

By the way can't MTN ever offer something that is cheaper than other networks?
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by inze(m): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2007
hmmmm

I hope kemi has not gotten "out of service".
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by 9ja4eva: 7:18pm On Oct 19, 2007
Good development
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by eddyafterm(m): 7:40pm On Oct 19, 2007
man u will be scared,that ur pictue na wao
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by pheesayor(m): 8:29pm On Oct 19, 2007
celtel is currently offering at 10kobo per kb, dunno if they will increase it later though
The speed is reliable cos they r upgrading toEDGE
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by highp: 10:31pm On Oct 19, 2007
how can one be link with any of this wireless company and which of them have a better coverage
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by highp: 10:36pm On Oct 19, 2007
how is the speed
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by zPixel(m): 10:47pm On Oct 19, 2007
10kobo per kb! That's terrible. So if i download a file of 10mb, i will be charged 1024kb*10*10/100kobo= 1024 naira. Am i correct?
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by scorpio1(m): 2:37am On Oct 20, 2007
Has anybody heard something about browsing with the Nigsat-1?
I need to get details about it and how possibe it is,
MTN are rippers, Nothing good can ever come out of them. embarassed
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by femol(m): 8:08am On Oct 20, 2007
scorpio1:

Has anybody heard something about browsing with the Nigsat-1?
I need to get details about it and how possibe it is,
MTN are rippers, Nothing good can ever come out of them. embarassed

It's good you verify things before you jump into conclusion.

Have bothered to ask if celtel's gprs is working and how reliable, ?

Are you aware of the details of the cost arrangement?

Watch what you say; just general advice for you.

Take care!
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by codedfoxy: 8:21am On Oct 20, 2007
i will advice you to get multilinks cdma box, 4 get about gprs connection from any network, it's waste of money and time.in naija, don't buy any special equipment that you can't make use of it in future, i have learn from MWEB, they sold one pethouse equipment to me for 30k with their connection thru DSTV, to i can't use it again, i took it to their office they told me there is nothing they can do about it, , mean while MTN are not reliable, they will only suck your money, , multilinks and starcomms are better, , MTN are criminals, they suck money like vampires sucking blood,
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by zPixel(m): 11:14am On Oct 20, 2007
Ya, get multilinks cdma. thats what am using right now, it's reliable, kind of cheap. Maybe so time in future, Ngeria will wake up to the reality of broadband. undecided
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by highp: 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2007
i do not have or know multi link office here in port harcourt and i do not know what is their range
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by JustJoined(m): 3:28pm On Oct 20, 2007
The MTN sharkpod,
As a very mobile person I have had to acquire one and, these are my immediate comments,

1. It's okay for people who travel a lot and need to be online almost every time. I have been able to use it everywhere there is GPRS, Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Enugu, Owerri, Ibadan, Ekiti to mention a few
2. It allows FTP and other basic functionality but does not allow remote desktop connection.
3. If you are paying as you use, you must be very buoyant. The flat N12k / month in my opinion is more economical.
4. I think it is slow but hey, I am able to connect to SQL Server over the net and pull down 100,000 records from a table with 10 fairly large fields.

I hope this is helpful.
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by redsun(m): 3:17pm On Oct 21, 2007
How about the risk of wireless theft in nigeria?is there anykind of wireless security,against people tapping into others connection?
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by highp: 9:14pm On Oct 21, 2007
hi guys ,my problem is that i don't know what is the speed of the shark pod
comparative with starcom which i currently use now.

cheers.
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by rasputinn(m): 9:26pm On Oct 21, 2007
Please can anyone tell me where I can get MTN shackpod on the Mainland,preferably Ikeja area.I need to know more about the stuff,i.e the price,mothly access fee,speed of download and the rest.Can anyone help??
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by const6(m): 10:49am On Oct 22, 2007
@ Rasputinn,

Goto MTN Friendship Center at Allen Avenue, its that simple!
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by tkb417(m): 1:39pm On Oct 22, 2007
Guys thanks for all, i wonder why kemiluv isnt answering us.
With these comments i think the only thing it offers is the mobility. With Speed i think its a far cry from what im getting from Starcomms EVDO.

Ill stick to EVDO since my movements for now wont be out of Lagos,Abuja,PH.
My prayer is for starcomms to spread out quickly. I agree MTN can be money suckers
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by ola4u: 12:23pm On Oct 23, 2007
Please help.

I just got the HP Pavillion Laptop, only to find out that the wireless internet slot is different from what ISP in Nigeria(i.e. starcomm, multilinks etc) have. The shape of the slot is L why that of Nigeria's ISP is square. What do I do because i dont want to go for the dial up of a thing.

Please help
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by neeyeeo(m): 12:22am On Oct 24, 2007
Hey I think from all information gathered, multilinks still seems to be the best choice, although Im not considering it yet, does anyone know how multilinks charge?
I heard it slike 200naira per day and U have to buy the cdma land box if u want a fast connectivity,
alternatively,
I use a i-wireless broadband box, with 428kbps/2.5GB data allowance monthly,im really enjoying it because the speed is second to none,also this connection allows me to connect to 5 systems at my work place, and enables me to move it from home to office, cos thats where I need it most,

They have their networks set-up in almost all lagos areas and could be moving out of lagos by next year to cover the western regions,
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by teee: 9:17am On Oct 24, 2007
shocked I got the Mtn Sharkpod thing after reading this post, but it seems its using gprs technology also the modem speed is 921kbps persecond but that aint the real speed does anyone konw the speed? am scared its cost me N33,500 i should have gone for evdo instead

Is the Mtn Sharkpod a broadband too, how is the speed like? abeg! am really scared ooo if not thats N33,500 down the drain.
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by zPixel(m): 1:04pm On Oct 24, 2007
does anyone know how multilinks charge?

If you're running the 24hr scheme, you be charged 15,000 naira/month. If it's any of the 6 hr scheme, you'll be charged 6000 naira/month. You can check their site for more info. http://www.multilinks.com/products/index.asp?internet

I got the Mtn Sharkpod thing after reading this post, but it seems its using gprs technology also the modem speed is 921kbps persecond but that aint the real speed does anyone konw the speed? am scared its cost me N33,500 i should have gone for evdo instead

Wow! what a lose. Mtn Sharkpod is not a broadband, it uses the same gprs technology as mobile phones. As for the speed, the speed you see on the package is not always the actual thing. Most of the time it's always less than 10% of the speed you see on the package. To know your actual speed you can try downloading a file and see the rate at which the file downloads per second.

Actually, your best bet should have been the starcomms EVDO. It's quiet fast. Have seen someone download at the rate of 79kb/s before. GOOD LUCK smiley
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by sabmack(m): 4:20pm On Oct 24, 2007
Don't waste ur money on MTN and others. Go for multilinks. I have been installing most internet equipments for many people and came to the conclusion from experiance that multilinks is more reliable for personal use. I can tell u more about their shortcomings.
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 25, 2007
Can i browse the web with a blackberry device 8100g? and how do i do it?
Re: MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? by pc2pc: 2:32pm On Oct 30, 2007
I need someone to tell me what type of phone I can use to Browse with my Celtel Line on my PC

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need to fix my Macbook power adapter(magsafe) / Unlock Your Sturborn E303 Modem Here (etisalat And Mtn Only) / 120pieces sold out Dell laptop 15.4" Core I5 , 4gb Ram , 500gb Hdd #50,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.