Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools (3721 Views)

Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today / Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 12, 2012
Copied verbatim from www.punchng.com

"Arrangements are underway in the United States of America to inaugurate a computer and robotics teaching and coaching sessions for secondary schools pupils in the country.

The programme is packaged by a team of computer and robotics students in Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States of America.

Two representatives of the team, Messrs Obinna Okwodu and Obinna Ukwuani, who visited Nigeria to create awareness for the programme, said the inauguration of the coaching programme would be in July, while a six-week inaugural training session would end in August 2012.

The programme, they said, was designed for pupils in junior and senior secondary schools across the country.

“Essentially, it is a well organised summer programme designed to enhance the intellectual abilities and practical exposures to modern computer technology for the participating pupils,” they wrote in a statement.

Other areas of learning in the programme include applied mathematics and physics, leadership development, team work, communication skills and creativity."

Isn't this awesome? please comment below cool
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 2:27am On Feb 13, 2012
21 views, comments! so no nairalander like this? chei lipsrsealed cry
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 13, 2012
They should start from bachelors or masters students sef before coming down to high school children
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Acidosis(m): 9:25am On Feb 13, 2012
story. . .
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Acidosis(m): 9:27am On Feb 13, 2012
ekwah:

21 views, comments! so no nairalander like this? chei lipsrsealed cry

we are tired of reading and making comments on fruitless story and typographical innovations. I'll ask you HOW FAR in 2years time.
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Okijajuju1(m): 9:54am On Feb 13, 2012
Format!! angry

And so?!

I thought it would be an institute or a school domiciled in Nigeria, but apparently not.

Its like coming to show us your cool fancy technology, get our kids excited and then take it away, far beyond their reach. angry

Bleep EM!! angry
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by 27naira(m): 10:08am On Feb 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

Format!! angry

And so?!

I thought it would be an institute or a school domiciled in Nigeria, but apparently not.

Its like coming to show us your cool fancy technology, get our kids excited and then take it away, far beyond their reach. angry

Bleep EM!! angry

^^^^ classic grin grin grin
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by member479760: 10:25am On Feb 13, 2012
the idea wey noone buy from dem dey wan sell ham for una.
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by member10: 10:38am On Feb 13, 2012
[center][size=22pt]what's the point?
6weeks!? Just to come and show off!
If they where going to establish a school in 9ja, understandable. But vistiing a hand full of schools in six weeks doesn't make any difference. IMO[/size]
[/center]
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by moremi2008(m): 10:43am On Feb 13, 2012
These MIT kids and their robots! I remember this one time I went to visit a friend that was an undergrad at MIT and he had little robots running around his dorm room and tripping me! What's the point of teaching Nigerian kids how to build robots when there's no power to run the damn things and the kids can't afford to eat three meals a day?!!! They'll be doing more good donating bags of rice and laptops (for Yahoo! business deals wink).  grin grin grin grin
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by nasticy: 10:54am On Feb 13, 2012
I think its a great idea.

I constructed and programmed a mobile robot as my final year project. I even got to teach some children from sunday school how to program the robot. The thing about robotics is its quite interdisciplinary and those who are not  passionate about it may never understand how much work it requires. Still EVERYONE likes the end result. ( I mean, who wouldnt want a robot in their house ?) Anyway, even if its for 6 weeks, think about the young minds that would literally be changed forever.

Its worth it, no matter how small. wink
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by member10: 11:01am On Feb 13, 2012
nasticy:

I constructed and programmed a mobile robot as my final year project. I even got to teach some children from sunday school how to program the robot. The thing about robotics is its quite interdisciplinary and those who are not  passionate about it may never understand how much work it requires. Still EVERYONE likes the end result. ( I mean, who wouldnt want a robot in their house ?) Anyway, even if its for 6 weeks, think about the young minds that would literally be changed forever.

[size=22pt]guy make we relate abeg![/size]
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by isleman(m): 11:47am On Feb 13, 2012
i hope they have "i better pass my neighbour generator" to power their robots. otherwise ,
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by isleman(m): 11:52am On Feb 13, 2012
nasticy:

its not bad idea, i have a blue print microchips which are used to control robots. i once tried to sell the ideas to schools so as to improve our so called blank intro-tech, but trust Niaja schools- since there wasn't quick money involved, the school owners discouraged it and after several struggles, i concluded that our system in not right for it. just my opinion.
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2012
great idea, I love this.
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by AjanleKoko: 1:37pm On Feb 13, 2012
Nice one.
It will be a good experience for the kids. Not for the cynical NLers commenting on here, their ship has sailed anyways undecided
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Wallie(m): 3:41pm On Feb 13, 2012
I find most of the responses disheartening! If people like you, the young and educated, fail to realize the power of exposure, then I’m afraid for the future of Nigeria!

Do you guys understand that you’re mostly limited by what you’ve seen, done or heard? Would any of you understand what a cell phone can do without being shown or owning a cell phone? How about an SMS, app or the internet? There you are in the confines of your own home communicating across the 7 continents to “everybody” with an internet access and the address to this site!

Do you think that would have been possible without people’s imagination running wild after seeing some rudimentary thing about connecting two computers?

Exposing the young to technologies out there gives them a foundation to build their dreams on! Even a split second exposure to an event can forever change your life not to talk of 6 weeks!
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by yemiomodada: 4:04pm On Feb 13, 2012
See, as soon as the robot enter nigeria.
The robot will start collecting bride
it will start giving out expo's
it will be telling lies
it will loss it memory

http://nairareport.com -- this news is already on nairareport. Get updated by visiting the site
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 13, 2012
Wallie:

I find most of the responses disheartening! If people like you, the young and educated, fail to realize the power of exposure, then I’m afraid for the future of Nigeria!

Do you guys understand that you’re mostly limited by what you’ve seen, done or heard? Would any of you understand what a cell phone can do without being shown or owning a cell phone? How about an SMS, app or the internet? There you are in the confines of your own home communicating across the 7 continents to “everybody” with an internet access and the address to this site!

Do you think that would have been possible without people’s imagination running wild after seeing some rudimentary thing about connecting two computers?

Exposing the young to technologies out there gives them a foundation to build their dreams on! Even a split second exposure to an event can forever change your life not to talk of 6 weeks!
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Iskra: 5:36pm On Feb 13, 2012
Hello,I am currently schooling in France and doing some robotics courses too,Its quite some tasking but interesting stuff too.Is there anyways one could get involved.For me exposing kids even if its primary school to knowledge is useful and needful.It is never too early to introduce kids to structured kind of knowledge.But to be clear is it MIT organising it or just some students doing it on their own volition,resources and time, anyways,I hope they meet with every success for it is a good gesture and most laudable too
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Wallie(m): 5:57pm On Feb 13, 2012
Iskra:

Hello,I am currently schooling in France and doing some robotics courses too,Its quite some tasking but interesting stuff too.Is there anyways one could get involved.For me exposing kids even if its primary school to knowledge is useful and needful.It is never too early to introduce kids to structured kind of knowledge.But to be clear is it MIT organising it or just some students doing it on their own volition,resources and time, anyways,I hope they meet with every success for it is a good gesture and most laudable too

My guess is that the students are organizing it with some sort of material support from MIT. However, regardless of MIT's support, as long as the students can get access to the materials needed (laptops, hardware and software), then they're good to go!

I would think that they will probably just buy a few Mindstrom Lego Kits and just teach the kids how to program it. The kits are less than $300 a piece and it contains everything needed to program an entry level robot. It includes a 32-bit microprocessor, 3 server motors, 1 ultrasonic sensor, 2 touch sensors, a color sensor, needed drag-and-drop software, and building blocks.

I have thought of doing the same for a while now but I just don’t have the time!
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by sunkoye: 5:59pm On Feb 13, 2012
pls let them understand what humans are teaching first smiley
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
Great idea! Starting with the junior high would be very nice! Then, the next generation is guaranteed a chance in the robotics scheme of things.
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Joythah(m): 7:22pm On Feb 13, 2012
It seems i need your help. I have been given an option of robotics or electronic voting machine to pick from for my final year project. After seaching the net, i am tending towards robotics but dont really have an idea on how to start or what to do/the cost involved. My email address is princelyjeff@gmail.com
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 13, 2012
i like the idea no matter how small. It will help some people aim higher and discover what they want to do with their lives after secondary school
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by EvilSirit: 9:49am On Feb 14, 2012
mschww!!!
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by AjanleKoko: 5:32pm On Feb 14, 2012
The sensibilities of the average Nigerian have been battered to such an extent that he or she is obligated to complain about anything and everything.
To paraphrase Fela, 'na so African man life be, suffer don dabaru him sense.'
Re: Us Firm Plans Robotics Teaching In Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 11:33pm On Feb 17, 2012
@Evil sirit nawa for u. ur first comment on Nairaland na hiss. Thanks for all the great comments jor. Some of our fellow Nigerians are so blinded that they only see negativity in everythitng. I still wonder why people like Okija juju dislikes such an ingenious move by Nigerian students to give back to their own community. If people travel abroad and never come back, na una go still dey complain. Long live MIT and its "nerdy" kids!! cool

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get My Original Waec Cert???? / Is NECO June/july Result Out? / Checkout 33 Websites That Will Make You A Genius

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.