Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,962 members, 7,799,271 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? (6270 Views)

Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success / Nairaland Programmers That Share Language And City In Common / Is This What Big IT Firms Do? Please Help Me Out Nairaland Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Blackteeth(m): 7:42pm On Feb 12, 2012
I visit this programming section sometimes to check out any products by our nairaland guys who call themselves programmers, but haven't found any products yet since inception. Why has it been so? Is this place just for discussion or what?

1 Like

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 7:18am On Feb 13, 2012
Yup, it's more a forum for discussion though I'm starting to think soem of the folks on here are all talk, considering I've opening a topic to find contributors on my project and no one has signed up, Anyways, I have a few, see my github page: http://github.com/delomos. And currently working on one for African Fashion Designers (An African Web Fashion platform) <-- these are my side projects, separate from what I do for work
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by kodewrita(m): 8:20am On Feb 13, 2012
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by NumberOne2(m): 9:41am On Feb 13, 2012
@OP. I don't think you looked well. This section is full of software by NL developers. There is even a Software section on top of this page.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 14, 2012
This is quite interesting. . . .
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 5:24pm On Feb 14, 2012
delomos:

considering I've opening a topic to find contributors on my project and no one has signed up,
I would disagree with this. Because no-one signed up for the project doesn't mean all programmers here are all talk. Yeah,  I know a few just come here to talk but it has nothing to do with your project. DHML is a PHP champion, that I know but he obviously isin't interested and thats why he didn't sign up. I personally HATE PHP(doesn't mean I can't comfortable write it), I use Ruby on Rails(fan of neat code). However, I only watched your project because I wouldn't mind testing your product as an end-user or issue feature requests.wink

I can tell you something for sure tho, open source doesn't work that way. You just have to assume you are going to be alone on it but when you finally roll out something that interest developers, you would get tired of contributors. 

3 Likes

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 7:00pm On Feb 14, 2012
Fayimora:

I can tell you something for sure tho, open source doesn't work that way. You just have to assume you are going to be alone on it but when you finally roll out something that interest developers, you would get tired of contributors. 

Not taking particular jabs at anyone -- and yes, I don't expect folks to contribute to a project they care little about, I just thought this was a fun little one.

And a quicky on RoR, I ran back to PHP when I got into the ultimate stumbling block >> Depolying a RoR App , Jesus F@cking Christ, deploying a rails app is a pain (and please don't mention cloud, Heroku, and all those goodies, for a small projects they're just too expensive).

It takes me like 20 mins to set up a LAMP server, I've been stuck on configuring passenger to work with Apache so I can host this freaking Rails App (https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq), one wall after the other. But sorry, I'm ranting .

I <3 Ruby.

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 7:39pm On Feb 14, 2012
Hahaha i guess that is when you ask for help. PHP deployment isin't easy aswel. Am not talking about websites now, am talking about applications.  Deploying is NEVER straight forward. I did some maintenance(mainly functional testing) job for a company few months ago. Trust me when I saw they way they deployed, lol I realised that all I have been doing in PHP was SMALL.

Going back to rails, I use Capistrano-> https://github.com/capistrano/capistrano . Its quite easy to use so I guess you shouldn't have problems with it. I had a short conversation with Ryan Bates and he agreed to cover deployment very soon in a few episodes.

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 8:04pm On Feb 14, 2012
Before I forget, I use(d) Linode for hosting. Awesome!
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 8:26pm On Feb 14, 2012
I'm talking of building a server to host rails app -- yes, it's very easy if you're hosting third party, and of course there's Cap (which is indeed awesome if you're, again, hosting third party, in fact if you're hosting on Heroku, deploying RoR is brain dead simple) -- I actually wrote a scaled down Capistrano that does continuous integration for Wordpress (https://github.com/delomos/bash-deploy).

And yes, deploying on the right framework is a piece of cake (and there are many these days, notably Jenkins).
Code > Build > Deploy [repeat]

Fayimora:

, months ago. Trust me when I saw they way they deployed, lol I realised that all I have been doing in PHP was SMALL.

When some start seeing the power of PHP, they might start re-thinking Rails (at least the barrier of entry is slightly lower).
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by DonSegmond(m): 12:07am On Feb 15, 2012
Fayimora, I see that you are in the UK. The cost of doing business is much less for you than for someone in Naija. It might not be much for you to buy a virtual server or dedicated server, but for someone in Naija, it does add up. I feel that those in Naija should stick to something like PHP as they can set up a LAMP like platform on their personal computers and develop and test without the need for internet until they are ready to deploy.

It's also true that one can also set up a RoR or Django on their personal computer if they decide to run Linux. The truth tho is that when you are working on code, it's best to work on something that you are more likely to get help if you run into road blocks and for programmers in Naija that's PHP.

PHP was once ugly, but I don't feel it's ugly anymore. Believe me when I say I know the feeling of how you think it's ugly. 10+yrs ago, I felt like that, and I was all about Python. I still love my Python, but there's so much that's going on with PHP that one must have it in their toolbox. it's easy to work with PHP, but it's not easy to be a great PHP programmer and this is true with all languages. If you learn OOP, and you learn to work with classes, there are lots of great PHP frameworks that can let you write very clean code. MVC is still very much alive, there are beautiful PHP applications out there. Can you say Facebook? Not to mention the countless CMS, and libraries out there.

To the original poster. Rest assured, there are those of us here building and deploying software. Our clients are not here, thus the reason you are not hearing much about us. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 1:40am On Feb 15, 2012
DonSegmond:

1. The cost of doing business is much less for you than for someone in Naija. It might not be much for you to buy a virtual server or dedicated server, but for someone in Naija, it does add up.

2. It's also true that one can also set up a RoR or Django on their personal computer if they decide to run Linux,

3. PHP was once ugly, but I don't feel it's ugly anymore, MVC is still very much alive, there are beautiful PHP applications out there. Can you say Facebook? Not to mention the countless CMS, and libraries out there.

^^ Now I need to go chop Eba to push this down well well, ahhhhhh :-)

Btw, on #2, in all honesty RoR has a lower barrier of entry than PHP-based framework (Cake, CodeIgniter, Kohana) plus a web server comes within the framework as long as you have Ruby installed.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:45am On Feb 15, 2012
can you guys please talk about standalone apps?? Am quite tired of reading about webhosting and scripts,

3 Likes

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 12:31pm On Feb 15, 2012
@delomos c'mmon man, use a third party instead of trying to setup your own server. A VPS would do except if you are interested in system admin, then goodluck.

@DonSegmond I don't do biz, not interested in the money. Am a student and I work with . . . . . . wink

@lordZOUGA Yes Boss
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 12:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
Fayimora:

[font=Courier][size=10pt]@delomos c'mmon man, use a third party instead of trying to setup your own server. A VPS would do except if you are interested in system admin, then goodluck.

Yup. I'm partially a sysadmin and setting up/managing web server happens to be partly my job sad And if you get a VPS (which I don't see the need for if you're running a small site), since I deal with enterprise, it's a diff story, again ,

@lordZOUGA Apologies for derailing ,
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 12:55pm On Feb 15, 2012
Oh great! Can now see the reason for the obsession with system admin stuff.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by lojik(m): 7:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
If you finish your software and your primary marketing strategy is to start a thread for it on Nairaland, abeg think twice.
I've seen a lot of projects posted here and get the bashing of their life.

A critical example is eyowo.com payment platform. After it was carefully torn apart on nairaland, i decided never to go near it. Nairalanders brought out lots of flaws out of it which made me conclude the project was not properly baked.

I believe a lot of people know better than to post their projects on NL where members are very very aggressive.

2 Likes

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 8:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
Do you happen to remember what thread eyowo was torn apart on, Want to have a look at it cheesy
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
I don't really know But I think that if you can't defend your project or you get swayed in your decision to start the project then you didn't have faith in the project to begin with,
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Mobinga: 9:11pm On Feb 15, 2012
Fayimora:

Do you happen to remember what thread eyowo was torn apart on, Want to have a look at it cheesy

grin

So you're now jacking Omo_to_Dun's swag?

That font . .
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2012
lojik:

If you finish your software and your primary marketing strategy is to start a thread for it on Nairaland, abeg think twice.
I've seen a lot of projects posted here and get the bashing of their life.

A critical example is eyowo.com payment platform. After it was carefully torn apart on nairaland, i decided never to go near it. Nairalanders brought out lots of flaws out of it which made me conclude the project was not properly baked.

I believe a lot of people know better than to post their projects on NL where members are very very aggressive.

You are very correct bro. Many people have learnt this lesson the hard way. This poster is still very new here - them never show am.

1 Like

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 11:45pm On Feb 15, 2012
Fayimora:

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Nobody: 5:06am On Feb 17, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-792437.0.html => Eyowo: The Payment Gateway You've Been Waiting For!
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by NumberOne2(m): 10:55am On Feb 17, 2012
@lojik, why are you complaining about the Eyowo thread. All the comments I saw there were honest. Security and Trust concerns? What is wrong with that? If you expect to post a new software and everyone is kissing your butt about it then you should go to the romance section.
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 11:30am On Feb 17, 2012
Pheeeeew! Finally someone sees what I see. To me it seems like they just simply grilled the software which is actually good.

Err @delomos I know how to search on Nairaland, it was an indirect comment

@Mobinga naaa, Its just a font
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Feb 17, 2012
New Heroes: Number_One (The feared and formidable) vs Lojik (The infamous & super-programmers) - Let the kombat begin!!
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by lojik(m): 1:16am On Feb 20, 2012
Number_One:

@lojik, why are you complaining about the Eyowo thread. All the comments I saw there were honest. Security and Trust concerns? What is wrong with that? If you expect to post a new software and everyone is kissing your butt about it then you should go to the romance section.
I didn't say they were dishonest. Afterall, if you post facebook timeline feature or Google wallet or pinterest here, you would get "honest" opinions that would discourage would be members who do not have an opinion yet.

Its easier for a software company to either invest in (software and pen testing) and (gather feedback on its own platforms) than to gather "honest" opinions from Nairalanders who would score cheap points with your sweat and labour.

It is bad PR to give official responses to the kind of aggressive negative opinions you get on a public forum. Let your criticisms and feature requests be submitted as wishlists, bugs, support tickets or live chats.

@dhtml: I laff in Itsekiri
@Fayimora: The guy did not come here for grilling, he came for marketing. If they had wanted to help, they would have posted the discovered issues on his bug or wishlist page. I checked a few weeks ago, and the guy has still not put a lot of the issues right. I guess they "killed his morale" and he might have given up.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Nobody: 1:37am On Feb 20, 2012
I still remember when a guy came to webmasters to review the template of a site he is working on - he clearly stated that the website was not complete.
You need to see the way them discipline the guy. Just like when i first made the original ajaxified version of my website - it was peices so tay till now, i dont bring any javascript application i do for review on nairaland again.

1 Like

Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Binkalette: 3:46am On Feb 20, 2012
This section is full of software by NL developers. There is even a Software section on top of this page.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by Fayimora(m): 6:44pm On Feb 26, 2012
delomos:

Yup. I'm partially a sysadmin and setting up/managing web server happens to be partly my job sad And if you get a VPS (which I don't see the need for if you're running a small site), since I deal with enterprise, it's a diff story, again ,

@lordZOUGA Apologies for derailing ,

Hey man, I've been researching on rails deployment and I finally figured out a very easy way to deploy rails apps. But then I used a VPS so tongue. Anyways, check http://www.damainboss.com . Built and hosted that in less than one hour! Pretty fast innit? Ws good you made that statement. Made me re-think my deployment strategies. . . 
Re: Any Software Product From "nairaland Programmers"? by delomos(m): 8:38pm On Feb 26, 2012
Fayimora:

Hey man, I've been researching on rails deployment and I finally figured out a very easy way to deploy rails apps. But then I used a VPS so tongue. Anyways, check http://www.damainboss.com . Built and hosted that in less than one hour! Pretty fast innit? Ws good you made that statement. Made me re-think my deployment strategies. . . 

What is the stack being run?

By the way, when I say I'm having issues, I was to deploy rails using standard stack, in my case, i'm on LAMP (with Passenger), as a side note, see: http://bitnami.org/

As another side-note, what is that site (http://www.damainboss.com) going to be?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Research Project/thesis Topics In Computer Science (PART 1) / Certified-drugs App: List Of All Drugs Approved For Use In Nigeria By NAFDAC / [Help Request ] I Want To Learn Programming, what are the requirements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.