Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Definition Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Definition Of God (4919 Views)

The True Definition Of Athiesm / Flaws Definition Of God Exposes In Atheism / The Definition Of Divine Harmony - Understanding Creation & Non-interference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Definition Of God by burteeone(m): 7:46pm On Mar 19, 2006
I want to really know a good definition of God. I want to know how everyone of us feel for God, how best can we describe God as: Though Holy Books describe, what about us?

For me, God is a Mighty beyond every Imaginations, He His a Good Supreme Spirit. hmmmm much more and that, Everlasting. shocked
Re: Definition Of God by TYPOP(m): 7:57pm On Mar 19, 2006
Simply put, He is a father who is everything.
Re: Definition Of God by choiceA: 8:03pm On Mar 19, 2006
God is Who He says He is. Everything else na jara! smiley
Re: Definition Of God by Babybee(f): 8:21pm On Mar 19, 2006
He is a supreme being,the begining and the end.The one who was,who is and is to come.
Re: Definition Of God by kajad(m): 9:07am On Mar 20, 2006
Unchangeable Changer
Re: Definition Of God by lioness(f): 9:43am On Mar 20, 2006
@ burteeone

Sometimes i feel people just make a thread just to stare up a fight.
Whats this one about definition of God . You have defined him, now you want others to define Him.
Is your own definition not enough for you Or your not sure if you defined him well.
Soon you'll have folks saying all manner about God because they dont believe. Is that the purpose of this thread.

Make una just leave God oh, him no be our mate.
Re: Definition Of God by nightrider: 9:47am On Mar 20, 2006
lioness:

@ burteeone

Sometimes i feel people just make a thread just to stare up a fight.
Whats this one about definition of God . You have defined him, now you want others to define Him.
Is your own definition not enough for you Or your not sure if you defined him well.
Soon you'll have folks saying all manner about God because they don't believe. Is that the purpose of this thread.

Make una just leave God oh, him no be our mate.

You're the one fighting , no one else is fighting with or against you.

God is the unmoveable mover, the unshakeable shaker,

Abeg jo make una continue
Re: Definition Of God by lioness(f): 10:46am On Mar 20, 2006
sad Now you think am the one fighting huh?
wait till it gets to the 2nd page

==============================
Forcast aint for goats with no brains tongue
Re: Definition Of God by Reba(f): 11:17am On Mar 20, 2006
This topic will neva reach the second page ok, embarassed
Re: Definition Of God by Mildred(f): 12:01pm On Mar 20, 2006
TO ME GOD IS THE FOLLOWINGS::::::::
* HE IS FORGIVEN DADDY
* HE IS MY PROVIDER
* HE IS MY HEALER

Infact, he is everthing to me smiley
wat about U
Re: Definition Of God by burteeone(m): 12:43pm On Mar 20, 2006
@ lioness Did you think God is Mono? Well for me God is Omniscience. I will like to know more about Him. Tell us about how did you love God and how can you described or Praise HIM to the world.

When I think about different home and places, I feel God, what a wonderful knowing God.

God! God!! God!!!!! Atofarati, Ekun oko Pharaoh

interpret: Atofarati (Dependable) Ekun (Lion the husband of Pharaoh) shocked shocked

Too much of mercy, Oba Awon Oba (King of Kings)

grin cheesy
Re: Definition Of God by EddyTells(m): 12:46pm On Mar 20, 2006
God is God

He can not be defined.
He called himself I AM THAT I AM. And thats that.
Whatever you want him to be is what He will be.

HE IS BEYOND DEFINITION
Re: Definition Of God by thelma2(f): 3:43pm On Mar 20, 2006
He is The Rock Of Ages

The Rose of Sharon

The LILY of the Valley

the Bright and Morning Star

A STRONG TOWER

The EVER FAITHFUL GOD

Oh! How I love HIM. HE is my EVERYTHING.
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 5:16pm On Mar 20, 2006
What / Who is God?  God is the balance to the equation called existence.

"God is the essence of Existence personified." Existence means "to be"

You could take Electricity as the analogy of what God is- without it, your TV wont work'. Likewise No "God"= No Existence. Electricity is like a force, not a thing. We sometimes personify Electricity by saying Electricity will shock you.

It/He/She is the necessary answer Man needs to Why/What/How/When/Who/Whether/ Whedan't/ that Existence is/was/came from/is going to be/ blah blah blah.

Even if God does not exist, concious Man would need to invent Him to remain sane. In other words God is somethin Man needs to believe there is, to remain sane given the ever-recurring imbalance in reasonablity in what we consider existence.
Re: Definition Of God by jlee(m): 6:11pm On Mar 20, 2006
t4cash u try grin but i will say u over bortressed ur point shocked, if i should qoute 4r ur point where u said "Even if God does not exist, concious Man would need to invent Him to remain sane. In other words God is somethin Man needs to believe there is, to remain a sane man" and make u see dat u r wrong there.
cos God said it himself in the holy bible that "if no man will worship me i will raise stones 2 represent man and over priases and worships 2 me" for God created man in his own image and agape love and expect man 2 show d same back in worshiping and beliving he is there God.
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 6:27pm On Mar 20, 2006
jlee:

t4cash u try grin but i will say u over bortressed your point shocked, if i should qoute 4r your point where u said "Even if God does not exist, concious Man would need to invent Him to remain sane. In other words God is somethin Man needs to believe there is, to remain a sane man" and make u see that you're wrong there.
because God said it himself in the holy bible that "if no man will worship me i will raise stones 2 represent man and over priases and worships 2 me" for God created man in his own image and agape love and expect man 2 show d same back in worshiping and beliving he is there God.

jlee ,
As usual, you make the mistake that most religionists make: they take their religious "logic" as a given- as if its accepted by everyone. See how you are quoting the Bible now to reply me. If I tell you now that I did not believe in the Bible as irrevocable logic? (I do not, but supposing I did) Can you still prove to me that God can raise stones?

The Bible is a bundle of contradictions. I am a Christian, so I know this is heresy to Christian ears but it is unfortunately true. I have actually read books that lined up, side-by-side quotes in the Bible that contradict each other. Arguments based on the Bible can be easily rebuffed even when the other person decides to argue with you based on the same Bible.

For me, the Bible is a collection of what God said, not necessaeily what he is saying. To hear the Voice of God (which is what's pertinent) , not the Record of God's Voice,- What "God is saying" NOT "What he said", you must learn to have your own daily inspiration. As Jesus meant by teaching "Give us this day our Daily Bread". Over emphasis on the records of what God said was why the Jews failed to recognize Jesus for who HE was. And why I believe He refused to write any thing Himself. If Jesus came again today, some of today's Christians may even crudify Him if He contradicts the new testament.

I believe in God, not because the Bible said so, but because to me, I have convinced myself there HAS to be God- period. I think most scientists share this same opinion.
Re: Definition Of God by mlksbaby(f): 6:31pm On Mar 20, 2006
Is it possible to define God? Well, I like the quote that 'God is who He says is' because many times we all have our fancies of Him and come up with 'Oh, He is whatever I think of Him.' The understanding that 'God is who He says He is' makes it necessary for me to seek Him more; whereas, if I think of Him as anything or anyone I like to think of Him, my commitment will not be as strong. Again, of all I know of God, this is the one that captivates me the most: 'I AM WHO I AM.'

_______________ || _____________

PS. t4cash,

Your life history is appreciated. However, it would've helped to keep to the topic - defining God. There are a few things you mentioned that totally lost me undecided . Is God a thing, a phenomenon, a possibly 'inventable' concept/philosophy, an equation, or a Living Being? Who is God to you personally?
Re: Definition Of God by mlksbaby(f): 6:39pm On Mar 20, 2006
t4cash:

The Bible is a bundle of contradictions. I am a Christian, so I know this is heresy to Christian ears but it is unfortunately true. I have actually read books that lined up, side-by-side quotes in the Bible that contradict each other.

For me, the Bible is a collection of what God said, not necessaeily what he is saying. . .I believe in God, not because the Bible said so, but because to me, I have convinced myself there HAS to be God- period. I think most scientists share this same opinion.

t4cash, this is why I appealed that you keep it simple. Statements like that coming from someone who claims to be a Christian is rather unfortunate - and you could invite comments to that effect by opening another thread. Let's not raise objections that are not related to the topic at hand. If God doesn't mean anyting to you, it's best not to post a reply that leaves most people all the more confused. Even if you're not a Christian, the forum is still open to make your comments on defining God; afterall, shébi some New Agers see themselves as 'God' and pantheists say that God is everything and everything is God.
Re: Definition Of God by nightrider: 6:48pm On Mar 20, 2006
lioness you were right i'm sorry

what does all this crap have to do with the thread.

define what God has been to you and get off. we don't want to be hearing dumb theories
Re: Definition Of God by eve123(f): 9:39pm On Mar 20, 2006
GOD IS COMPASSIONATE AND LOVE.
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 10:14pm On Mar 20, 2006
Religion is a very personal and touchy subject. Profoundly sorry if my post offended some people. I have edited it accordingly. My definition was clear though.

t4cash:

"God is the essence of Existence personified." Existence means "to be"

mlks_baby:

Again, of all I know of God, this is the one that captivates me the most: 'I AM WHO I AM.'

Mlks_B , the correct quote of Moses is "I AM THE I AM" not WHO I AM. "AM" is a derivation of the verb/state "TO BE" i.e. "TO EXIST".

This is not an easy subject matter. Those who seek God with an open mind will find Him (and have always found Him). Its got nothing to do with practising a Religion. Nuff said.
Re: Definition Of God by mlksbaby(f): 10:44pm On Mar 20, 2006
t4cash:

Mlks_B , the correct quote of Moses is "I AM THE I AM" not WHO I AM. "AM" is a derivation of the verb/state "TO BE" i.e. "TO EXIST".

t4cash,

Thanks for that correction - we learn everyday and I'm glad you've added to my knowledge. Here's the quote of Exo.3:14 from the version I was reading (and which I read most often):

“I am who I am.” -
   (E[/b]nglish [b]S[/b]tandard [b]V[/b]ersion - [b]ESV, available online as well: http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=exodus+3)

This agrees with a few other versions:

"I am who I am" [Good News Bible, GNB]

"I AM WHO I AM" [Holman Christian Standard Bible, HCSB]

"I AM WHO I AM" [Hebrews Name Version, HNV]

"I AM WHO I AM" [New International Version, NIV]

I cross-checked with the King James Version (KJV) and the Literal Translation of the Holy Bible (LITV) and found it stated this way:

"I AM THAT I AM".

Please pardon me, but this should not be interpreted as a show of arrogance - I'm truly humbled that you pointed the above to me. And I would like to know what translation you quoted from so I could add it to my shelf and collection. Many thanks  wink
Re: Definition Of God by choiceA: 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2006
mlks_babe, you be lawyer? Haba!! You alone gather all those translations and you want more? You really dwarf me, but I doff my hat cheesy
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 10:55pm On Mar 20, 2006
Sorry milks, I should be asking your pardon. I meant to say "I am that I am". I had never read any of the "Who I am" versions. But I believe my explanation of what that line means is in line with that of several Bible Scholars.
This is a very emotive subject. God can not be defined for someone really. He can only be revealed. On that note, I hope i can exit this topic.
Re: Definition Of God by mlksbaby(f): 10:59pm On Mar 20, 2006
oh t4cash, you didn't offend me. . . really.

I'm so sorry if you thought you did; I actually thought that was a translation new to me, and got excited; I wasn't frowning. Please forgive me if you felt bad. I hope you come back some time because I enjoy your inputs. Hugs - hugs!!  wink  smiley
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 11:28pm On Mar 20, 2006
Ok, mlks. Hug- hugs too.  wink & Whatever God is to you, or anyone, remain close to Him.

Any one who cares may also read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_am_that_I_am  about YHWH (or YHVH , which is always written by Jews without any Vowels, and comes fromt the jewish verb for "To be"wink.
Re: Definition Of God by mlksbaby(f): 12:08am On Mar 21, 2006
Phew!! Thanks 4 coming back, t4cash! And your last line is a huge blessing. Haba! Seun should consider including a 'hug' emoticon so people like you can get a larger-than-life one from me!! In the absence of that, here's something for you - -

cheesy grin cheesy smiley cheesy grin smiley cool

(Okay, I'm not allowed to blow kisses - my bros is standing over me -- lol. )

But thanks again for your understanding. smiley
Re: Definition Of God by EddyTells(m): 9:47am On Mar 21, 2006
@ T4CASH

This is what one should expect an athesit to say not a christain

[Even if God does not exist, concious Man would need to invent Him to remain sane. In other words God is somethin Man needs to believe there is, to remain sane given the ever-recurring imbalance in reasonablity in what we consider existence.

/quote]

Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 11:09am On Mar 21, 2006
Eddy, I see no contradiction in my being a christian and saying such. I personally believe there is God, I was trying to explain to any atheist why one can not be sane and say he too doesnt believe in God.

Reread the sentence well. Its saying "No belief in God should cause insanity".  The sentence also began with "Even if" which is like "Let's suppose". Supposing something does not mean agreeing with the person you are arguing with. As a Christian I feel i should have a solid foundation for my faith, if possible beyond just the Bible.
Re: Definition Of God by EddyTells(m): 2:24pm On Mar 21, 2006
I understand you now.
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2006
http://www.allaboutgod.com/names-of-god.htm

More about the all names of God (from Christian point of view).
Re: Definition Of God by kimba(m): 6:05pm On Mar 21, 2006
GOD CAN NEVER BE DEFINED!!!

As mortal men, we are in no position to completely express the totality of his Being. Whenever one is convinced that he/she has succeeded (and that success to him/her alone) in defining Who God Is, at such a time, such a person has miissed the mark. Such a one has put God inside a box, and from such a time God means nothing to such.

God is eternal. Where man wisdom, knowledge, understanding, position, power, past, present, future , etc,. ends, that is where God Begins.

GOD IS MORE THAN THIS WORLD TO ME!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? / Blessed Cyprian Michael Iwene Tansi / How Can We Recognise False Teachers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.