Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,717 members, 7,802,164 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Polytechnic Or University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Polytechnic Or University (5765 Views)

How To Calculate CGPA In Any University,polytechnic Or College / Polytechnic Or Pre Degree .which One Shld I Go For / Polytechnic? Or University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polytechnic Or University by bunna(m): 12:45pm On Oct 19, 2007
HI NAIRALANDERS,
I REALLY WANNA KNOW WHY PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE TO GO TO POLYTECHNICS,THEY DO PREFARE UNIVERSITIES.
WHY ?
IF U HAVE A NY GOOD ANSWER TO THIS ,PLEASE LET US KNOW
Re: Polytechnic Or University by hamabra(m): 2:03pm On Oct 19, 2007
do more research
Re: Polytechnic Or University by krissn32(m): 2:59pm On Oct 19, 2007
Hello out there,i would like to answer the question asked by Bunna on the disparity of universities and polytechnics.This could be traced to dicrimination experienced by graduates of polytechnics out there in the labour market,especially in the aspect of wages or salary recieved.Futhermore, polytechnics no longer provide the platform for the out field exposure which formally distincts it from university.Am writing based on experience cos am currently in a nigerian polytechnic.
Re: Polytechnic Or University by Samakins(m): 4:15pm On Oct 19, 2007
I think its just shere discrimination, to my own knowledge and based on evidences I have at hand, Polytechnic students are far better than their university counterparts. Ask me why? Polytechnics are more practical based compared to universities. I also had an opportunity of working with some fresh university graduates, who were on their youth service then, while I was having my 1-year IT after OND, it was then I realised that we are more better than them, because a lot of them could not perform on the field, and few of us that were polytechnic IT students were the ones putting them through. Albeit, am not trying to generalize, but based on what I have seen, I can never agree that university graduates are better than their polytechnic counterparts, its just people's tilted mentality. I am fortunate to be a polytechnic graduate and I can proudly say I attended one of the best Polytechnics in the country, which is the polytechnic Ibadan. GREEEEEAAATEEEEEEEEEEEST POLYYYYYYYYYYYYTES!!!!!!
Re: Polytechnic Or University by ebony01(f): 4:48pm On Oct 19, 2007
People prefer university to polythenic because university they have made names. When seeking for job or work they are being given before the poly student.

To me polythenic remains the best because they do more of pratical while university deals with theory.
Re: Polytechnic Or University by zebra(m): 5:49pm On Oct 19, 2007
bunna:

HI NAIRALANDERS,
I REALLY WANNA KNOW WHY PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE TO GO TO POLYTECHNICS,THEY DO PREFARE UNIVERSITIES.
WHY ?
IF You HAVE A NY GOOD ANSWER TO THIS ,PLEASE LET US KNOW

Simple; because they want to save themselves from future discrimination in the labour market.
Re: Polytechnic Or University by Tats(m): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2007
Another thread to start University vs polytechnic debate!

It is simple, they both have different focus.

Universities focus largely on conceptual, problem solving and analytical skills while polytechnic focus largely on usage, skills and knowledge of tools or practical applications of tools. Both teach the other elements, but on a smaller scale.

For instance, Universities graduate engineers and polytechnics graduate technologists.

In Nigeria, entry requirements to universities and polytechnics are different for both qualifying secondary school certificates and the jamb exams.

Note that both universities and polytechnics are supposed to complement each other. Who dreams up the tools and who knows how best to use or apply it?

Polytechnics have been abolished in the UK and some ex-polys are rising in university rankings.
Re: Polytechnic Or University by dankofa: 7:21pm On Oct 19, 2007
This is a very sensitive topic u av brought up. If u scroll down u will c my earlier postings requesting to know if anyone knows how i can change my HND certicate to a BSc within a short time. I am presently with a bank,but i av found it very difficult changing jobs b'cos of my HND. Virtually all banks don't want HND holders. Its pathetic. I cant advise my enemy to go for HND!!. Meanwhile, does anybody know of any university that offers conversion program for HND to BSc within one year? Some told me Yabatech now City University does it. Can anybody pls give me info.
Re: Polytechnic Or University by jamex2xl(m): 2:23pm On Oct 20, 2007
what does institution means by 5 credits in two sitings?

email greensagoe@yahoo.ca

thanks
Re: Polytechnic Or University by Tats(m): 1:20am On Oct 21, 2007
jamex2xl:

what does institution means by 5 credits in two sitings?

email greensagoe@yahoo.ca
thanks

It means that you require 5 credits to be qualified to attend the institution and those 5 credits must have been obtained in not more that 2 attempts of writing that examination. so for instance, you can combine 3 credits in the 1st attempt (sitting) and 2 credits in the 2nd (attempt) sitting to make 5 credits.

(1) (Reply)

Biometric Finger Print For Scanner For Jamb{utme}2011 / NUC List Of Illegal Universities & Degree Awarding Institutions In Nigeria -2016 / Unable To To Download Or Print JAMB Admission Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.