Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,871 members, 7,802,805 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. (18448 Views)

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? / Most Uninteresting Book You Have Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 9:06pm On Mar 01, 2012
a bear called paddington

The bear bent down to do up its case again. As he did so, Mrs. Brown caught a glimpse of the writing on the label. It said, simply, PLEASE LOOK AFTER THIS BEAR. THANK YOU

1 Like

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by deebayour(m): 4:44pm On Mar 02, 2012
"we made assumptions and got caught sleeping, we could have killed any new student for such blind arrogance. And we are guilty of it ourselves." Whitmore Bludd. Dune: House Harkonnen, Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 11:51pm On Mar 02, 2012
the city of ember

When the city of Ember was just built and not yet inhabited, the Chief Builder and the Assistant Builder, both of them weary, sat down to speak of the future.

"They must not leave the city for at least two hundred years," said the Chief Builder. "Or perhaps two hundred and twenty."

"Is that long enough?" asked his Assistant.

"It should be. We can't know for sure."

"And when the time comes," said the Assistant, "how will they know what to do?"

"We'll provide them with instructions, of course," the Chief Builder replied.

"But who will keep the instructions? Who can we trust to keep them safe and secret all that time?"

"The mayor of the city will keep the instructions," said the Chief Builder. "We'll put them in a box with a timed lock, set to open on the proper date."

"And will we tell the mayor what's in the box?" the Assistant asked.

"No, just that it's information they won't need and must not see until the box opens of its own accord."

"So the first mayor will pass the box to the next mayor, and that one to the next, and so on down through the years, all of them keeping it secret, all that time?"

"What else can we do?" asked the Chief Builder. "Nothing about this endeavor is certain. There may be no one
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 11:52pm On Mar 02, 2012
The . . . students occupied Room 8 of the Ember School. On Assignment Day of the year 241, this classroom, usually noisy first thing in the morning, was completely silent.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 11:55pm On Mar 02, 2012
the people of sparks

“Lina couldn't sleep at first, thinking of the old songs and what they meant. Someone, long ago, had hoped that at least a few people would survive and had wanted them to remember her city and the treasure it held, the treasure that was most valuable of all - herself, her family, and all of the generations of people who had lived in that secret place, their purpose, though they didn't know it, to make sure that human beings did not vanish from the world, no matter what happened above.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 11:58pm On Mar 02, 2012
the diamond of darkhold

“It wasn't because they had extraordinary powers, really, but because of how well they used the ordinary powers everyone had: the power of courage, the power of kindness, the powers of curiosity and knowledge.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 1:28am On Mar 03, 2012
king of the wind

"Agba leaped to his feet. . . . . He wanted to blow on the trumpet. He wanted to cry to the four winds of heaven: 'A foal is born. And he will be swift as the wind of the desert, for on his hind heel is a white spot.'
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 4:48am On Mar 03, 2012
the far pavilions

" messengers hastening to Bahadur Shah, the Mogul "
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 4:59am On Mar 03, 2012
trade wind

What is written is written,
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 1:14am On Mar 04, 2012
something blue

“You can only control your own actions. Not other people’s reactions.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 1:34am On Mar 04, 2012
brave new world

"Just to give you a general idea," he would explain to them. For of course some sort of general idea they must have, if they were to do their work intelligently – though as little of one, if they were to be good and happy members of society, as possible. For particulars, as every one knows, make for virtue and happiness; generalities are intellectually necessary evils. Not philosophers but fret-sawyers and stamp collectors compose the backbone of society.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 1:57am On Mar 04, 2012
watership down

“You know how you let yourself think that everything will be all right if you can only get to a certain place or do a certain thing. But when you get there you find it's not that simple.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 2:03am On Mar 04, 2012
confessions of a shopaholic

“A man will never love you or treat you as well as a store. If a man doesn’t fit, you can’t exchange him seven days later for a gorgeous cashmere sweater. . . A store can awaken a lust for things you never even knew you needed. And when your fingers first grasp those shiny, new bags…”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 2:04am On Mar 04, 2012
“For years now I've kind of operated under an informal shopping cycle. A bit like a farmer's crop rotation system. Except, instead of wheat, maize, barley, and fallow, mine pretty much goes clothes, makeup shoes, and clothes (I don't bother with fallow). Shopping is actually very similar to farming a field. You can't keep buying the same thing, you have to have a bit of variety. Otherwise you get bored and stop enjoying yourself.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Babamide(m): 2:14am On Mar 04, 2012
The bottled leopard.

One clean jump and the leopard sailed effortlessly over the fence.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 2:54am On Mar 06, 2012
the wonderful wizard of oz

“There's no place like home, ”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 2:55am On Mar 06, 2012
“I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 2:55am On Mar 06, 2012
“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 2:56am On Mar 06, 2012
“My world, my world,  How can such a good little girl like you destroy all of my beautiful wickedness.
- Wicket Witch of the west”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 2:57am On Mar 06, 2012
“My people have been wearing green glasses on their eyes for so long that most of them think this really is an Emerald City.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:06am On Mar 06, 2012
daughter of time

"The Sweat and the The Furrow was Silas Weekley being earthy and spade-conscious all over seven hundred pages. The situation, to judge from the first paragraph, had not materially changed since Silas's last book . . . ."
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:09am On Mar 06, 2012
the emerald city of oz

Dorothy left Bunbury the same way she had entered it and when they were in the forest again she said to Billina:

"I never thought that things good to eat could be so dis'gree'ble."

"Often I've eaten things that tasted good but were disagreeable afterward," returned the Yellow Hen. "I think, Dorothy, if eatables are going to act badly, it's better before than after you eat them."

"P'raps you're right," said the little girl, with a sigh. "But what shall we do now?"

"Let us follow the path back to the signpost," suggested Billina. "That will be better than getting lost again."
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:13am On Mar 06, 2012
through the looking glass

"O Tiger-lily," said Alice, addressing herself to one that was waving gracefully about in the wind, "I wish you could talk!"

"We can talk," said the Tiger-lily: "when there's anybody worth talking to."
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:15am On Mar 06, 2012
"My name is Alice, but — "

"It's a stupid name enough!" Humpty Dumpty interrupted impatiently. "What does it mean?"

"Must a name mean something?" Alice asked doubtfully.

"Of course it must," Humpty Dumpty said with a short laugh: "my name means the shape I am — and a good handsome shape it is, too. With a name like yours, you might be any shape, almost."
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:14am On Mar 07, 2012
a town like alice

I know you've taken risks to do these things. Do Please be careful."
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:21am On Mar 07, 2012
bridget jones diary

“I will not fall for any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, commitment phobics, people with girlfriends or wives, misogynists, megalomanics, chauvists, emotional (nitwits) or freeloaders, perverts.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:22am On Mar 07, 2012
“It struck me as pretty ridiculous to be called Mr. Darcy and to stand on your own looking snooty at a party. It's like being called Heathcliff and insisting on spending the entire evening in the garden, shouting "Cathy" and banging your head against a tree.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:23am On Mar 07, 2012
“That is such crap. How dare you be so fraudulently flirtatious, cowardly and dysfunctional? I am not interested in emotional (crap). Goodbye.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:23am On Mar 07, 2012
“I will not get upset over men, but instead be poised and cool ice-queen.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:25am On Mar 07, 2012
“I realize it has become too easy to find a diet to fit in with whatever you happen to feel like eating and that diets are not there to be picked and mixed but picked and stuck to, which is exactly what I shall begin to do once I've eaten this chocolate croissant.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:25am On Mar 07, 2012
“But if you are single the last thing you want is your best friend forming a functional relationship with somebody else.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:31am On Mar 07, 2012
middlemarch

'Art is an old language with a great many artificial, affected styles, and sometimes the chief pleasure one gets out of knowing them is the mere sense of knowing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Michelle Nkamankeng, The Youngest Published Author In Africa (PHOTOS) / Life Of A Star (a Celebrity Story) / Ultimate Guide: How To Earn More As A Freelance Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.