Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,853 members, 7,806,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2441) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8655508 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2438) (2439) (2440) (2441) (2442) (2443) (2444) ... (14136) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 4:55pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

Ferguson was the coach and manager he determines who he wants to buy and no one stands over him like Perez or Laporte do to Madrid or Barca or even Abrrahamovic in Chelsea

he has powers like Wenger and he delivered 2 CL in over 20yrs

The fact remains that he`s not the owner of the club and he cannot be spending anyhow. If he`s given such powers to buy any player irrespective of the price, then why wasn`t he buying then? There`s no coach that doesn`t like to buy the best players if given such unrestricted powers as you`ve said.

However, money isn`t everything. Why has Madrid not won more than one UCL since i think2002 after spending so much to get the best season in season out?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 4:55pm On Dec 01, 2015
Jaap Stam
Rio Ferdinand
Veron
Wayne Rooney
Berbatov
Yorke
Pallister

Were all some form of record transfers
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 4:56pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

Man Utd under fergie 26yrs

2 trophies, 2 runner up 3 semi final knockouts

That means Ferguson made semi finals and beyond just 7 times in 20yrs coaching the richest team in the world with unrestricted authority

To me UCL semi final is not an easy achievement. Before Premier League was rebranded in 1992, it was far below Seria A, Laliga, Netherland, French and Belgium league in terms of bringing/attracting foreign players.

If we look at things from that angle, we could see that English teams were just to complete the numbers between 1986 and and mid 1990s when SAF just took over. Considering the kind of qualities such teams like Madrid, Barca, AC Milan, Juventus, Ajax, etc already had in foreign players.

SAF even took over a team that was relegation haunted in a league that was not opened to foreign players. It was always going to take time to build a team that could compete with the European quality sides with world best stars.

FOREIGN PLAYERS
At the inception of the Premier League in 1992/93, just 11 players named in the starting line-ups for the first round of matches were 'foreign' (players hailing from outside of the United Kingdom or Republic ofIreland).

By 2000/01, the number of foreign players participating in the Premier League was 36 per cent.

In the 2004/05 season the figure had increased to 45 per cent. On December 26, 1999, Chelsea became the first Premier League side to field an entirely foreign starting line-up, and on February 14, 2005, Arsenal were the first to name a completely foreign 16-man squad for a match.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 4:56pm On Dec 01, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Aside from Ancelotti is their another coach that we don't know about that has 3 UCL to his name ?

How many of the coaches you know have spent 26yrs coaching not to talk of in 1 club where you are the Lord and master
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 4:59pm On Dec 01, 2015
ollah1:

Man u have been the richest club for decades. Your current coach wouldn't coach one top side for 26 years and win just two trophies. Nobody would have heard of him if he wasn't managing an English club side.

He was simply a local Champion

Please, define local champion for me.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 01, 2015
tess1:

Please, define local champion for me.

Local champion: Sir Alex Ferguson aka Mr Tomato face
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 5:05pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

When did Man Utd have owners? And the debt he was paying, what did they use the money borrowed to do?

I will try to respond to this much later tonight. I haven't the answers readily available and I am busy now.

But what you always forget is the circumstances surrounding SAF building United in his early years. Where he picked the team from. Then how he gradually built it to be strongest in England, then how he gradually pushed the team to be able to compete with star studded teams like AC Milan, Madrid, Juventus and Barcelona which had the best legs from South America, Europe and Africa.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:05pm On Dec 01, 2015
elampiro:

To me UCL semi final is not an easy achievement. Before Premier League was rebranded in 1992, it was far below Seria A, Laliga, Netherland, French and Belgium league in terms of bringing/attracting foreign players.

If we look at things from that angle, we could see that English teams were just to complete the numbers between 1986 and and mid 1990s when SAF just took over. Considering the kind of qualities such teams like Madrid, Barca, AC Milan, Juventus, Ajax, etc already had in foreign players.

SAF even took over a team that was relegation haunted in a league that was not opened to foreign players. It was always going to take time to build a team that could compete with the European quality sides with world best stars.

FOREIGN PLAYERS
At the inception of the Premier League in 1992/93, just 11 players named in the starting line-ups for the first round of matches were 'foreign' (players hailing from outside of the United Kingdom or Republic ofIreland).

By 2000/01, the number of foreign players participating in the Premier League was 36 per cent.

In the 2004/05 season the figure had increased to 45 per cent. On December 26, 1999, Chelsea became the first Premier League side to field an entirely foreign starting line-up, and on February 14, 2005, Arsenal were the first to name a completely foreign 16-man squad for a match.

These are weak excuses or non excuses

EVERY team in Europe had a maximum number of foreigners you could use not just Man Utd.

Pre Bosman era. All teams in Europe couldnt have more than 3 foreigners in their starting 11

For example in the 1993 and 1994 CL final all finalists had not more than 3 foreigners in their team By 1999 CL final Man Utd had 6 foreigners while their opponent Bayern had just 1

So come up with another excuse of why Ferguson made only 7 semi finals

And in those days if you are from a football power(Spain, Italy germany England France) making the quarter and semi was easy because

1. Only 1 and later 2 teams came from each country
2. You are from a football superpower
3. There wernt many countries in Europe then Yugolslavia was 1 country same with USSR Czeckolovakia)

Assuming now the rule was in effect that means the CL would only have Barca, Bayern, Juve, PSG, Zenit, PSV, Benfica and Chelsea plus those 3rd world football nations like Hungary. Now tell me how its a difficult task to make the quarter final in this lineup
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 5:06pm On Dec 01, 2015
ollah1:

Now this guy sounds like 1025.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:08pm On Dec 01, 2015
tess1:

The fact remains that he`s not the owner of the club and he cannot be spending anyhow. If he`s given such powers to buy any player irrespective of the price, then why wasn`t he buying then? There`s no coach that doesn`t like to buy the best players if given such unrestricted powers as you`ve said.

However, money isn`t everything. Why has Madrid not won more than one UCL since i think2002 after spending so much to get the best season in season out?

Actually Ferguson was given the powers and he was buying

He broke transfer records multiple times. Players like Rooney, Pallister, Stam, Ferdinand, Veron Yorke were all record transfers

Madrid has been changing coaches. if they had just 1 coach like man Utd then they could have won more than 2
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 5:15pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

How many of the coaches you know have spent 26yrs coaching not to talk of in 1 club where you are the Lord and master

Hitzfield spent 25yrs, Juup Heynkes spent 34 yrs coaching club careers.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 5:16pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

These are weak excuses or non excuses

EVERY team in Europe had a maximum number of foreigners you could use not just Man Utd.

Pre Bosman era. All teams in Europe couldnt have more than 3 foreigners in their starting 11

For example in the 1993 and 1994 CL final all finalists had not more than 3 foreigners in their team By 1999 CL final Man Utd had 6 foreigners while their opponent Bayern had just 1

So come up with another excuse of why Ferguson made only 7 semi finals

And in those days if you are from a football power(Spain, Italy germany England France) making the quarter and semi was easy because

1. Only 1 and later 2 teams came from each country
2. You are from a football superpower
3. There wernt many countries in Europe then Yugolslavia was 1 country same with USSR Czeckolovakia)

Assuming now the rule was in effect that means the CL would only have Barca, Bayern, Juve, PSG, Zenit, PSV, Benfica and Chelsea plus those 3rd world football nations like Hungary. Now tell me how its a difficult task to make the quarter final in this lineup

I am not talking about the number of foreigners featured in a team. I am talking about welcoming of foreigners to a league which ultimately affected the standard of the league. English league was not welcoming to foreign players until mid or late 1990s. Compare that with Laliga and Serie A.

I will be back much later, hopefully.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 5:17pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

He broke transfer records multiple times. Players like Rooney, Pallister, Stam, Ferdinand, Veron Yorke were all record transfers

Madrid has been changing coaches. if they had just 1 coach like man Utd then they could have won more than 2
let's wait then until a coach wins it thrice in a particular club.

Don't know why they keep moving or it's hard for them to maintain the success for a longer time and choose to leave when the ovation is high.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:18pm On Dec 01, 2015
tess1:

Hitzfield spent 25yrs, Juup Heynkes spent 34 yrs coaching club careers.

How many years did Ferguson spend coaching?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 5:19pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

You know he earned that privilege.
Ancelotti,Del bosque,Pep,jose,Jupp off my head (forgot some names) this are different managers with mutiple UCL win is their any of them aside from Jose that won with a weak squad or poor squad.
Is their any amount of money that we could've spent that will save those barcelona teams froming handing us our arse twice ?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:19pm On Dec 01, 2015
chrisley024:
Don't know why they keep moving or it's hard for them to maintain the success for a longer time and choose to leave when the ovation is high.

Some coaches work in a highly challenging environment where they are required to deliver every season unlike Ferguson

You would agree its difficult to adjust to new players every few years compared to where you can have a team undisturbed for 20 yrs
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:21pm On Dec 01, 2015
SIRcumalot:

You know he earned that privilege.
Ancelotti,Del bosque,Pep,jose,Jupp off my head (forgot some names) this are different managers with mutiple UCL win is their any of them aside from Jose that won with a weak squad or poor squad.
Is their any amount of money that we could've spent that will save those barcelona teams froming handing us our arse twice ?

So did Ferguson win the CL with a weak squad?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 5:22pm On Dec 01, 2015
chrisley024:

They can't because maintain that level of sucess as long as he did is almost impossible.
If you are lucky to find that once in a lifetime guy you lock him up forever see Del Bosque for spain.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 5:30pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

So did Ferguson win the CL with a weak squad?
No he didn't,but non of the coach I mentioned above won with a weak squad either.
So stop harping about this money argument
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2015
elampiro:

I am not talking about the number of foreigners featured in a team. I am talking about welcoming of foreigners to a league which ultimately affected the standard of the league. English league was not welcoming to foreign players until mid or late 1990s. Compare that with Laliga and Serie A.

I will be back much later, hopefully.

Since its the teams that make a league then how is foreigners in a team different from foreigners in a league

In those Italian teams of the early 90 their teams are mainly Italians because there is a limit on the number of Italians you can field

E.g Lets take 1991 very early in the 90's
In 1991 Leed won the English league they had 8 foreigners,
AC Milan won Serie A they had just 3 foreigners,
Barcelona won La Liga had 4 foreigners,
Stuttgart won the Bundesliga they had 3 foreigners

So tell me how it was the English league that was particularly not welcoming to foreigners
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Dongorgon5(m): 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2015
These people think UEFA Champions league is easy like Principal cup.
I Laugh in Ijesa grin

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:36pm On Dec 01, 2015
SIRcumalot:

They can't because maintain that level of sucess as long as he did is almost impossible.
If you are lucky to find that once in a lifetime guy you lock him up forever see Del Bosque for spain.

What success did he maintain? For the first decade he didnt make the CL final, after that 1999 he didnt make it again for another 9yrs?

So what success exactly?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:37pm On Dec 01, 2015
SIRcumalot:

No he didn't,but non of the coach I mentioned above won with a weak squad either.
So stop harping about this money argument

He had money to spend and he spent it. I have given you a list of record transfers Ferguson made as coach of Man utd.

How many coaches have that luxury? or being guaranteed of your job even when you fail
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 5:44pm On Dec 01, 2015
ollah1:

You can`t even define what you are saying.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 5:47pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

What success did he maintain? For the first decade he didnt make the CL final, after that 1999 he didnt make it again for another 9yrs?

So what success exactly?
His domestic sucess don't count for nothing ?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by olabode89(m): 5:52pm On Dec 01, 2015
ollah1:

Mr. Man calm d fvck down!

Fergie was a proven coach and a winner before he came to United. He broke the old firm dominance in Scotland winning 11 Tittles consisting of 3 league titles, Uefa cup winners cup now known as the Europa Cup and Uefa Super Cup.

When he came to United in 1986 the likes of Barcelona, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Ajax, Bayern etc. were richer and could attract the best players. It was Fergie's on field success and the rebranding of the Premier league in 1992 that made United one of the richest clubs in the world.

Make una nor disrespect Fergie o
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 5:55pm On Dec 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

I`m still maintaining that he wasn`t given such powers to buy any players that he wanted at any price.

If he had such powers, why then did he sell Ronaldo for over £80mil and bought Valencia as his replacement? Why didn`t he spent the whole money on big players?

All those players you mentioned were once in a while signings. Why didn`t he buy 3 or 4 of such players in a season?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 5:58pm On Dec 01, 2015
SIRcumalot:

His domestic sucess don't count for nothing ?

Then this assertion would lend more credence to the Local champion jab you are trying to avoid from ollah1
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 6:00pm On Dec 01, 2015
tess1:
I`m still maintaining that he wasn`t given such powers to buy any players that he wanted at any price.

If he had such powers, why then did he sell Ronaldo for over £80mil and bought Valencia as his replacement? Why didn`t he spent the whole money on big players?

All those players you mentioned were once in a while signings. Why didn`t he buy 3 or 4 of such players in a season?

To buy a player a coach must first like the player

The selling club must be willing to sell

And the player willing to come

Once in a while is breaking transfer records over 5 times. All coaches would wish they were able to break the record willy nilly

ROnaldo left because he dreamt of playing in madrid. There was no money Madrid paid that Man Utd cant afford Ferguson sold Ronaldo because he didnt want to keep an unhappy player
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nihilist: 6:00pm On Dec 01, 2015
olabode89:

Mr. Man calm d fvck down!

Fergie was a proven coach and a winner before he came to United. He broke the old firm dominance in Scotland winning 11 Tittles consisting of 3 league titles, Uefa cup winners cup now known as the Europa Cup and Uefa Super Cup.

When he came to United in 1986 the likes of Barcelona, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Ajax, Bayern etc. were richer and could attract the best players. It was Fergie's on field success and the rebranding of the Premier league in 1992 that made United one of the richest clubs in the world.

Make una nor disrespect Fergie o

Ahh Bode How far na?

Jambody Lukaku keeps scoring against these second tier opposoition o...

Whats up with Martial...how many goals has he scored since?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by olabode89(m): 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2015
Nihilist:

Ahh Bode How far na?

Jambody Lukaku keeps scoring against these second tier opposoition o...

Whats up with Martial...how many goals has he scored since?

Hahaha.....paadi Messi will struggle in Van Boring's system and 'filosofi'

I mentioned then that Lukaku's jambody system can be effective...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Dadehmola: 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2015
elampiro:

If Ferguson had coached Barcelona, Real Madrid, he would have won nothing less than 6 UCL with the spending power of these clubs in luring the world best stars over the years. Same with AC Milan and Juventus.

If United spent even spent nearly what other big European clubs spent, SAF would have won at least 6 UCL.

If Rafael was not prematurely sent off in 2010 we had a team that was going to conquer Europe again.

Between 2008 and 2011 SAF played 3 UCL finals in four years and Barca with their great team stood between SAF and the cup. No team could beat Barca in the final. Our chance could have been in 2010 but two soft red cards to Rafael prevented us.

SAF also won in Europe with Aberdeen.

Not so sure about this...

That Inter Milan side that won the UCL that year - the team na diee!!

Toldo - Samuel - Sneijder - Eto.. The spine of the team was rock solid. Sneijder was even the best player in the world that season (another argument for another day).

Maicon, Cambaisso, the versatile Chivu, the free scoring Diego Milito....Lawd - Mourihno had a set of warriors/champions/merceneries at his disposal.

That team perfectly suited Mourihno's "battle mode" mentality

(1) (2) (3) ... (2438) (2439) (2440) (2441) (2442) (2443) (2444) ... (14136) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: TrebleChamp(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.