Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,772 members, 7,802,367 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4211) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8632968 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4208) (4209) (4210) (4211) (4212) (4213) (4214) ... (14119) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 1:47pm On Jun 22, 2017
Oasis007:
How I wish it can happen next Season. Nice Lineup and Formation though, but the Subs need adjustment.

The Team can't rely on Blind as only Defender on the Bench. Lingard should make way for Jones.
Rashford that has poor crosses? Lol
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by lordfalcao(m): 2:08pm On Jun 22, 2017
eph12:

Rashford that has poor crosses? Lol
rashford crosses are more threatening than Valencia and young crosses combine
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 2:12pm On Jun 22, 2017
lordfalcao:
rashford crosses are more threatening than Valencia and young crosses combine
Doesn't mean anything. I didn't ask to replace Rashford with Valencia or Young. The lad destiny is to play down the middle, the club should not kill that dream. What we need to do is buy a real winger. Is it Rashford that used to run and forget ball you want to put on the wings? At the end of the season his stats will be poor.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 2:16pm On Jun 22, 2017
Valencia crossing low-key they all right.
Saw this on twitter awhile back.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by lordfalcao(m): 2:22pm On Jun 22, 2017
eph12:

Doesn't mean anything. I didn't ask to replace Rashford with Valencia or Young. The lad destiny is to play down the middle, the club should not kill that dream. What we need to do is buy a real winger. Is it Rashford that used to run and forget ball you want to put on the wings? At the end of the season his stats will be poor.
na true sha but I don't see rashford nurturing to a fine striker under mourinho
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by pharod(m): 4:44pm On Jun 22, 2017
It's a nice line up all right but I'd push James to the wing and add Micki to the middle and both of them will be interchanging. Rashford can play from the bench.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 4:58pm On Jun 22, 2017
Heard we'll soon land Fabinho and that Jose wants his transfers to be available for the team tour which starts in less than a month.

We need to start scoring goals. we have to start scoring goals.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 4:59pm On Jun 22, 2017
dubylhover:

modric is a box to box central midfielder,while Carrick is a deep lying playmaker like pirlo

Okay. Right.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 9:20pm On Jun 22, 2017
Exactly our story last season.

What has to change to transform
Manchester United into Premier League title contenders?

Boring? Pragmatic? Effective? It does not matter how you want describe Jose Mourinho’s first season because he came out of a tumultuous season with United’s name engraved into the
EFL Cup, the Europa League and with Champions League qualification banked for next season – the bare minimum achieved with the bonus of two pieces of silverware.
The platform is well and truly set for the Special One to work his magic for a title-winning second season - but what needs to change for Mourinho to deliver the 21st league title to Old Trafford?

Clinical edge

One of the biggest factors to United finishing an underwhelming sixth place was their wasteful finishing in front of goal. The statistics make all of the Old Trafford faithful breathe a collective sigh of frustration. The Red Devils managed to score fewer league goals (54) than ninth placed Bournemouth (55), a damning reflection of the substandard goal tally from an exciting attack which on paper promised so much.

The issue however was not with the creativity. United created more chances (425) than champions Chelsea (367) but unfortunately for supporters they only converted 12.9% of their chances - 17th best conversion rate in the league – an astonishing display of wastefulness. Even talismanic top scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who bagged 28 goals, was guilty of missing gilt-edged opportunities in games that only needed a goal to seal the win, he missed 17 clear cut chances, more than any other Premier League player.
This has to be rectified for any potential title challenge. After Ibrahimovic, United’s second top scorer was Juan Mata with 6, indicative that the midfielders and wingers really need to up their goal tallies and ease the burden of any main striker. Spurs’ trio of Eriksen, Alli and Son contributed 40 goals and Chelsea’s three of Hazard, Pedro and Willian 35 goals; a goal-laden attack in addition to a prolific striker (Harry Kane and Diego Costa) is fundamental to any title success.
As M.E.N have reported, Mourinho is in search for a prolific striker (or two) to replace Ibrahimovic. Two striking targets linked Alvaro Morata (31.3%) and Andrea Belotti (25.7%) have fantastic conversion rates illustrating their potential to add the clinical dimension to a goal-shy attack. Whoever Mourinho picks must have the ruthless streak to take United to the next level.

Big game ability

Just like Chelsea’s double over Manchester City this season, champions always fashion statement wins both home and away on the way to being crowned against the top six sides - these games often decide the fate of the Premier League title.
United this season have an abysmal record in the top six head to head, accumulating a meagre nine points in 12 games. Scoring just a solitary goal in six away games is both a reflection of the players’ struggles in front of goal but also the way Mourinho tactically approached them. Mourinho often set the team up deep, pushing wingers as auxiliary full backs which frustrated the United fans throughout the season in these powerhouse clashes. Getting a point at Anfield and Etihad can be good results, but only if there are wins and intent shown in other big battles to contextualise them which did not come into fruition.

Big games are usually Mourinho’s forte, he comes into his own in these pressure cooker scenarios but the 2016-17 was an anomalous exception. Even though he was pragmatic in these encounters managing Chelsea, the set-up had never been as defensive or timid, you get the suspicion that Mourinho did not trust in the ability of the United players to be able to go toe-to- toe with swashbuckling rivals. Despite that, he produced a tactical masterclass against Chelsea, exploiting their formation with pace and man-marking, showing it still is very much in his locker. Ander Herrera won Man of the Match in several of these games, but many failed to turn up including the likes of Paul Pogba and Henrikh Mkhitaryan despite impressing in other games.
Whether game-changing signings can change their fortunes in these games or not, collectively the team need to hone in on their competitive instincts and realise the importance of beating rival sides.

Meanwhile, the Special One has to show the world exactly why he is still one of the best tacticians with his unique in-game management, now he has had one full season, the trust should be stronger and the ambition on the pitch should be greater.

Mentality fix

The conditional statement ‘If United beat X team, they can go ahead of Y team in the top four’ was a repetitive feature of a déjà vu season. The home games against Hull, Bournemouth and Swansea are only part of a long list of opportunities where the Red Devils had the chance to capitalise on rival failings. Yet, instead of pouncing like a cold-blooded predator, they timidly squandered every chance they were gifted which highlighted the damaging impact of three years of mediocrity post-Sir Alex Ferguson on the players’ mentality.

After accumulating 24 major trophies in four countries, Mourinho does not care about public perception. He can pragmatically close a game with a 1-0 lead with extra defenders, he will play long balls tactics, he will do anything to win trophies and make his name synonymous with success.

Installing that winning mentality in one season was a gargantuan task considering the squad was an amalgamation of four different managers, but as we saw in two successful cup finals, the potential is there for that winning streak to become prevalent again. Perhaps more signings in the ilk of Ibrahimovic are needed purely for the ruthless mentality to be present in the dressing room.

Eric Bailly leading the defence at 22, Ander Herrera’s dogged spirit, Paul Pogba’s mix of panache and toughness and Antonio Valencia’s lung-bursting commitment show that United still do have the core of a rugged, whole-hearted Mourinho title winning squad.

The Old Trafford faithful having to witness 10 home draws epitomised why there was no title challenge. However, the issue alongside the finishing in these games, was their inability to hold onto leads as we saw against Stoke and Arsenal by conceding cheap late goals. It felt as if the players were more fearful of conceding whilst a goal up, rather than being confident in scoring a second or closing the game out with assuredness.

Chelsea were sealing tight, scrappy one goal lead victories throughout the season, that true mark of champions shows that United must overcome this mental block to have any chance of league success.

Recruiting smartly this summer will be crucial to strengthen some key areas of weakness within the team which will go a long way into resolving the issues at hand and giving United title credentials. If last summer’s acquisitions perform to the levels fans know they possess alongside the new faces, we could well see a powerful, well-oiled Mourinho machine work their way to another Premier League crown.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-mourinho-pogba-13189653

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 6:18am On Jun 23, 2017
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by enemyofprogress: 7:14am On Jun 23, 2017
Brightwood:
Goodbye NL...Ima Lay low for a while maybe pop back in a year or two.
they've blown your whistle, you're going into hiding grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 11:37am On Jun 23, 2017
SIRcumalot:

His first time crosses are rubbish though. I hope Fabinho would be signed for the RB position.

The CDM position is still paramount. If not Van de Beek, then Oriol Romeu however, we wouldn't need Herrera as a 8 but a playmaker in his position.

A 3-man midfield of Romeu, Pogba, and Herrera while the likes of Harrop and Perreira compete for Herrera's position won't be a bad idea.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 12:02pm On Jun 23, 2017
Diademk07:

His first time crosses are rubbish though. I hope Fabinho would be signed for the RB position.

The CDM position is still paramount. If not Van de Beek, then Oriol Romeu however, we wouldn't need Herrera as a 8 but a playmaker in his position.

A 3-man midfield of Romeu, Pogba, and Herrera while the likes of Harrop and Perreira compete for Herrera's position won't be a bad idea.

I agree with this. Valencia is a shihhy crosser. His crosses almost always hit the opponent's leg and never make it into the box. When they do it's shihhy most of the time. His one-legged gameplay is another reason I personally rate Bailly above him in that position, although I've seen the later play for us just once in that position.

Too serious too. Non-captain material. He was the one who first shoved the opponent before Bailly got red carded in the semis of the EL. Upgrade will be welcomed.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 12:15pm On Jun 23, 2017
Leyqute:

I agree with this. Valencia is a shihhy crosser. His crosses almost always hit the opponent's leg and never make it into the box. When they do it's shihhy most of the time. His one-legged gameplay is another reason I personally rate Bailly above him in that position, although I've seen the later play for us just once in that position.

Too serious too. Non-captain material. He was the one who first shoved the opponent before Bailly got red carded in the semis of the EL. Upgrade will be welcomed.

The annoying part is that he would caress the ball until he could get his feet around the ball before making his stupid cross instead of making a quick first time cross as soon as he gets the ball. He constantly waste our chance at goal with his style of play.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by lordfalcao(m): 12:27pm On Jun 23, 2017
SIRcumalot:
Valencia is not an intelligent crosser, all he does is to run, whip in cross without knowing players position in the opposition box. I don't know between him and moses who is the most terrible crosser..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Spy360(m): 1:10pm On Jun 23, 2017
dubylhover:

modric is a box to box central midfielder,while Carrick is a deep lying playmaker like pirlo
Error!

Modric compares more to Pirlo than does Carrick.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dubylhover(m): 1:20pm On Jun 23, 2017
Spy360:

Error!

Modric compares more to Pirlo than does Carrick.

how so? does he sit in front of d defense like pirlo? is he a deep lying creative player?give me examples of deep lying playmakers and tell me how modric relates with them
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Segadem(m): 1:34pm On Jun 23, 2017
Oasis007:
How I wish it can happen next Season. Nice Lineup and Formation though, but the Subs need adjustment.

The Team can't rely on Blind as only Defender on the Bench. Lingard should make way for Jones.
where is Maurine Felele?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by olabode89(m): 3:14pm On Jun 23, 2017
Diademk07:

Harrop signed for Preston North end today.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by pharod(m): 3:33pm On Jun 23, 2017
He will be competing for Herrera's position from Preston North End next season. I just hope we have a buy back clause in place for any of our youngsters that we are letting go to avoid being scammed again if they blow.
Good luck to Josh Harrop.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 3:36pm On Jun 23, 2017
Hopefully Kagawa will let us rest now. Bye bye to Harrop lol
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 3:46pm On Jun 23, 2017
olabode89:

Harrop signed for Preston North end today.

It's no surprise though. I know Mourinho hardly works with kid and the reason I never wanted him. I was only giving him the benefit of the doubt but the leopard hardly change his skin.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 4:06pm On Jun 23, 2017
afrodoc2:
Hopefully Kagawa will let us rest now. Bye bye to Harrop lol

Doesn't stop me from following him though. Going to Preston doesn't mean end of career. I hope he team up with our other youth player, Pearson who had a great game in the midfield against Arsenal in the last Fa cup match encounter.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 4:11pm On Jun 23, 2017
Also, I learnt Harrop turned down a new contract to move to Preston. Well, best of luck.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2017
Diademk07:

Doesn't stop me from following him though. Going to Preston doesn't mean end of career. I hope he team up with our other youth player, Pearson who had a great game in the midfield against Arsenal in the last Fa cup match encounter.

Don't get me wrong. I wish him well and this might actually be a good move for his career. My point is at least now you will let us rest with your incessant calls for him to be in the first team.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2017
afrodoc2:

Don't get me wrong. I wish him well and this might actually be a good move for his career. My point is at least now you will let us rest with your incessant calls for him to be in the first team.

Well, he deserves to be in the first team because he offers what others can't, which is playmaking. Moreover, I wanted him out of that U21 team because the coach doesn't know what he's doing with lot of them. Also, He would have been promoted under Van gaal if not for his injury set back.

Anyway, I hope he gets to play in the central midfield and do an "Alli" or get his side promoted into the Epl.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by pharod(m): 4:27pm On Jun 23, 2017
Diademk07:

It's no surprise though. I know Mourinho hardly works with kid and the reason I never wanted him. I was only giving him the benefit of the doubt but the leopard hardly change his skin.
We all know that Mourinho hardly works with kids. Plus the state we are in, getting us back to the top will require the services of experienced professionals, (mercenaries as some will say). Mourinho even made it clear that there will be no excuses for next season so the chances of them kids breaking out this period is very limited.
I think it's a good career move by Harrop.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 4:35pm On Jun 23, 2017
pharod:

We all know that Mourinho hardly works with kids. Plus the state we are in, getting us back to the top will require the services of experienced professionals, (mercenaries as some will say). Mourinho even made it clear that there will be no excuses for next season so the chances of them kids breaking out this period is very limited.
I think it's a good career move by Harrop.

Quality kids doesn't stop us from our ambition. It never stopped Monaco, Spurs nor Dortmund etc. The only thing that always put a setback is poaching and that can't happen with us.

Average kids are what we should be wary about, not the quality ones. Moreover, it's not like I'm suggesting for the whole team to be filled with kids from top to bottom.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 5:03pm On Jun 23, 2017
Leyqute:

his alright,all he does is cross the ball when in deep position is why we think his not so good.
see those numbers for that picture.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Spy360(m): 5:18pm On Jun 23, 2017
dubylhover:

how so? does he sit in front of d defense like pirlo? is he a deep lying creative player?give me examples of deep lying playmakers and tell me how modric relates with them
A deep lying playmaker simply drops in front of the defence and builds attack using superior passing range- long (Pirlo), short (Modric) to get play in motion. Few players do that, Wilshere is there, Xavi when he was around, etc.

Carrick plays deep but he is never a playmaker.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by pharod(m): 5:41pm On Jun 23, 2017
Spy360:

A deep lying playmaker simply drops in front of the defence and builds attack using superior passing range- long (Pirlo), short (Modric) to get play in motion. Few players do that, Wilshere is there, Xavi when he was around, etc.

What is a Wilshere?? grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ToyinDipo(m): 5:57pm On Jun 23, 2017
Spy360:

If that's your definition of deep lying playmaker, then Carrick rightly ticks the box, without lying.
I remember back then in 06/07 we called Carrick bluetooth, because of how he effortlessly connected his passes precisely through out the entire pitch.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4208) (4209) (4210) (4211) (4212) (4213) (4214) ... (14119) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 16 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.