Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,145 members, 7,780,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:23 AM

African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks (8126 Views)

Ghana Is Too Poor To Be Called A Country!! / ‘I Don’t Deserve To Be Called A Religious Bigot’ Says Aregbesola. / Wow! British Muslims Now Want Sharia Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by dayokanu(m): 5:26am On Jun 04, 2012
Let them be called anything they want. Who cares
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by CyberG: 5:27am On Jun 04, 2012
Brown and David: I think you both can just have a simple conversation without adding insults. Just my opinion!
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 5:30am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

The shaming tactic in full use. Not working sis.
See, a point of view is not "dumb" simply because it does not agree with yours. I thought mature people knew that but i must be mistaken.

Have you asked yourself why blacks make up an inordinate number (relative to population size) of those on the welfare and prison rolls? Have you wondered why the only time you see blacks in corporate America is after 7pm when the cleaning crew come in?
These are facts not dumb perspectives.
Now I'm dying laughing because you do not know all of YOUR facts! While blacks do make up a large number of the prison population, WHITES ARE THE ONES RECEIVING THE MAJORITY OF WELFARE FUNDING!! Guess its time for a road trip out of detroit huh?? grin
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 5:32am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

and how many tyler Perry movies do you find in German theatres? Lets be honest, remove the US market... how popular do you think Kanye would be in china, Korea or Finland? Get serious!
Its amazing that the only things you can seriously point to are music styles that promote violence, mediocrity and gender abuse.

You gotta be michael blackson cuz you are funny.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 5:37am On Jun 04, 2012
brownusagirl:
Now I'm dying laughing because you do not know all of YOUR facts! While blacks do make up a large number of the prison population, WHITES ARE THE ONES RECEIVING THE MAJORITY OF WELFARE FUNDING!! Guess its time for a road trip out of detroit huh?? grin

use your brain for 2 secs. Note i said - relative to population size. Yes more white recieve majority of welfare funding BECAUSE the country is almost 80% white. However, as a proportion of population, MORE BLACKS are on welfare than whites. Simple math... i thought you said you are a college graduate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by PhysicsQED(m): 5:42am On Jun 04, 2012
Davidylan.

You don't like black Americans in general. You've established that.

Now why are you trying to force your opinions/perceptions down a black American's throat?

Just leave her be.

1 Like

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 5:43am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

use your brain for 2 secs. Note i said - relative to population size. Yes more white recieve majority of welfare funding BECAUSE the country is almost 80% white. However, as a proportion of population, MORE BLACKS are on welfare than whites. Simple math... i thought you said you are a college graduate.

STILL NOT ACCURATE! What population in what area of the country are you referring to?? I've got all night dear wink
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 5:50am On Jun 04, 2012
PhysicsQED: Davidylan.

You don't like black Americans in general. You've established that.

Now why are you trying to force your opinions/perceptions down a black American's throat?

Just leave her be.

where am i forcing my perception down her throat? I just stated facts.
where did you get the impression i dont like black americans? My gf is black american.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Afam4eva(m): 5:53am On Jun 04, 2012
I think we should let African Americans be. We have problems of our own that we ought to focus on rather than reprimanding the Akatas for not wanting to associate with failure. I'm not saying that they've not failed too. But let's let them bear whatever they want. It's their life.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 5:53am On Jun 04, 2012
brownusagirl:

STILL NOT ACCURATE! What population in what area of the country are you referring to?? I've got all night dear wink

Close to 40% of welfare rolls are black... now consider blacks only make up about 12% of the total population.
38% of welfare rolls are white, however whites are more than 70% of the US population. You do the math.

9% of the white population lives below the poverty line, compare that to 25% of blacks. You do the math.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by ektbear: 5:55am On Jun 04, 2012
Interesting.

Anyway, it is a two-way street. Nobody is innocent in this. AAs sometimes don't like Africans, and Africans sometimes look down on AAs.

As for me, a lot of my early negative experience in this country were from AAs. Never had any major problems with white folk before in my life.

However, it would be quite unfortunate if I'd decided to use those early negative experiences to color all future interactions..
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by PhysicsQED(m): 5:55am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

"Face the facts my dear. You are just tagging along and an inconsequential part of what is essentially a colony developed by white Europeans."

where did you get the impression i dont like black americans?

From your posts.

My gf is black american.

Strom Thurmond's mistress was black. grin

j/k

You might not hate them, but you're so vicious it's hard not to get the impression that there's some strong dislike there.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 5:58am On Jun 04, 2012
PhysicsQED:

"Face the facts my dear. You are just tagging along and an inconsequential part of what is essentially a colony developed by white Europeans."
From your posts.
Strom Thurmond's mistress was black. grin
j/k
You might not hate them, but you're so vicious it's hard not to get the impression that there's some strong dislike there.

Sincerely speaking i do not hate them. Some of them are my very good friends. I get frustrated with those who thumb their noses at Africa simply because they are lucky to piggy back on the success of european whites.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by PhysicsQED(m): 6:05am On Jun 04, 2012
^
Understood.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 6:12am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

Close to 40% of welfare rolls are black... now consider blacks only make up about 12% of the total population.
38% of welfare rolls are white, however whites are more than 70% of the US population. You do the math.

9% of the white population lives below the poverty line, compare that to 25% of blacks. You do the math.
Surely you are using outdated data recent info has proven that blacks are not the majority drawing off of the feds.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 6:14am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

Sincerely speaking i do not hate them. Some of them are my very good friends. I get frustrated with those who thumb their noses at Africa simply because they are lucky to piggy back on the success of european whites.

You don't know american history very well. If you did you would know that black slaves built america up. Our inventions changed the world. Our politic stance on many issues has resonated around the world.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 6:15am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

where did you get the impression i dont like black americans? My gf is black american.
Are you certain you're not a redneck Kmsl! grin
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 04, 2012
brownusagirl:
Surely you are using outdated data recent info has proven that blacks are not the majority drawing off of the feds.

Again you seem impervious to reason.
Let me repeat. By sheer numbers, whites make up the largest race on welfare rolls (38%) while blacks make up about 37%.
HOWEVER when you look in terms of proportion, it makes sense to have more whites on welfare since they make up over 70% of the population while blacks are barely 12%.

Its simple proportion, we were taught this as early as 6 yrs old.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 04, 2012
brownusagirl:

You don't know american history very well. If you did you would know that black slaves built america up. Our inventions changed the world. Our politic stance on many issues has resonated around the world.

1. Lets be clear, blacks were used as slave labor by whites to build America. Blacks, by themselves, DID NOT build America. Please dont confuse the two.

2. What inventions from you changed the world? Please list 2 important ones.

3. Your political stance on issues has resonated around the world? my friend dont make me laugh here pls.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 7:11am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

1. Lets be clear, blacks were used as slave labor by whites to build America. Blacks, by themselves, DID NOT build America. Please dont confuse the two.

2. What inventions from you changed the world? Please list 2 important ones.

3. Your political stance on issues has resonated around the world? my friend dont make me laugh here pls.
Kmsl ta loca!
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 7:13am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

Again you seem impervious to reason.
Let me repeat. By sheer numbers, whites make up the largest race on welfare rolls (38%) while blacks make up about 37%.
HOWEVER when you look in terms of proportion, it makes sense to have more whites on welfare since they make up over 70% of the population while blacks are barely 12%.

Its simple proportion, we were taught this as early as 6 yrs old.
Doesn't say much for that school system does it?
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 04, 2012
brownusagirl:
Doesn't say much for that school system does it?

Your lack of a coherent response besides the childish come-backs you would expect from a 5 yr old rugrat speaks volumes of your own school system and far less about mine.
You keep bleating about whites being the largest race by numbers on welfare rolls, forgetting the clear influence of sample size. You would think stat class was compulsory for high school kids.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 04, 2012
brownusagirl:
Kmsl ta loca!

hmm a logical response would have shocked me.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 7:40am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

Your lack of a coherent response besides the childish come-backs you would expect from a 5 yr old rugrat speaks volumes of your own school system and far less about mine.
You keep bleating about whites being the largest race by numbers on welfare rolls, forgetting the clear influence of sample size. You would think stat class was compulsory for high school kids.

Comebacks o_0 yeah ok I guess that what we will call facts.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by brownusagirl(f): 7:41am On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan:

hmm a logical response would have shocked me.

Lmao! Look if you're going to be here stop chasing the whites, hating the blacks, and learn about the other cultures who live here. Take a spanish class and you will know what was said.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 04, 2012
Responding to you is clearly a wasted exercise. Enjoy.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Sunne02: 4:54pm On Jun 04, 2012
Davidylan: "Have you asked yourself why blacks make up an inordinate number (relative to population size) of those on the welfare and prison rolls? Have you wondered why the only time you see blacks in corporate America is after 7pm when the cleaning crew come in? These are facts not dumb perspectives."

I would like to hear your answers to the questions you posed. Thanks.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Wallie(m): 7:34pm On Jun 04, 2012
@davidylan

Most of what you posted, while seemingly superficially factual, is a myopic view of where African Americans are today.

I’m not one to defend AAs or any other race but your posts reek of ignorance. When the deck is stacked against you, you have very little chance of winning. That is not to say that some AAs are not lazy or have not taken advantage of the system, like any other race, but that there’s a lot more to their story than just lumping them all into a single class.

You said you’ve been in the US for 7 years – I would say you should multiply that number of years x3 before you can begin to comment negatively on AAs, especially you being a Nigerian. If anything, with everything else being equal, Nigerian professionals in the US are looked at with more disdain than AA professionals. As proud as I am of Nigeria, there’s still a slight hesitation on my part telling people I’m Nigerian. Have you ever tried having people trust you with their financial information and them knowing that you’re Nigerian? How about having to explain 419 to people?

I don’t have the time for a rebuttal of each of the points you posted above but let me leave you with this to ponder on:

Why is it that possession of crack cocaine, found in predominately black neighborhoods, receive(d) a 100-to-1 punishment when compared to possession of cocaine, found in a predominantly white and affluent neighborhood? How can one justify a 100 times punishment for possession of the same substance except one substance being further processed? Just increase you didn’t know, you make crack from cocaine by baking it. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/16/nation/la-na-court-crack-20120417

Do not for a second judge that little kid that couldn’t rise above the oil infested creek of the Niger Delta or any other hood just because you did for you can’t fathom what his “surroundings” have done to his psyche.

Mind you, this post is coming from a professional in a field where AAs probably represent ~1% of my profession. I’m a Patent Attorney (electrical engineering degrees + law degree). I don’t believe in making excuses but that does not mean other people don’t have an excuse.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jun 04, 2012
DonSegmond:

Wow, Wow, and more Wow. shocked
By that account.

Africans should be thanking the white man for coming to Africa and exposing them to the Western ways and Christianity, if not for the white man by now, Africans will still be savages, running around naked, killing twin babies, engaging in human sacrifices, cannibalism, and living in mud huts.

COMMON SHARRAP THERE, COLONISED, BRAINWASHED HE-GOAT. BEFORE THE WHITE MAN CAME,AFRICANS LIVED IN BIG CITIES WITH THOROUGHFARES, WIDE ROADS AND DRAINAGE + NUMEROUS CITIES FILLED WITH GRAND RESIDENCES. BENIN CITY WAS COMPARED TO THE BEST CITIES IN EUROPE AS EARLY AS THE 15TH CENTURY.

Benin City 16th Century

[img]http://thelosttreasurechest.files./2011/07/oba-king-of-the-benin-empire-in-the-great-capital-city-of-ile-ibinu-during-a-ceremony.jpg?w=640[/img]
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by dasparrow: 1:11am On Jun 05, 2012
Wallie: @davidylan

Most of what you posted, while seemingly superficially factual, is a myopic view of where African Americans are today.

I’m not one to defend AAs or any other race but your posts reek of ignorance. When the deck is stacked against you, you have very little chance of winning. That is not to say that some AAs are not lazy or have not taken advantage of the system, like any other race, but that there’s a lot more to their story than just lumping them all into a single class.

You said you’ve been in the US for 7 years – I would say you should multiply that number of years x3 before you can begin to comment negatively on AAs, especially you being a Nigerian. If anything, with everything else being equal, Nigerian professionals in the US are looked at with more disdain than AA professionals. As proud as I am of Nigeria, there’s still a slight hesitation on my part telling people I’m Nigerian. Have you ever tried having people trust you with their financial information and them knowing that you’re Nigerian? How about having to explain 419 to people?

I don’t have the time for a rebuttal of each of the points you posted above but let me leave you with this to ponder on:

Why is it that possession of crack cocaine, found in predominately black neighborhoods, receive(d) a 100-to-1 punishment when compared to possession of cocaine, found in a predominantly white and affluent neighborhood? How can one justify a 100 times punishment for possession of the same substance except one substance being further processed? Just increase you didn’t know, you make crack from cocaine by baking it. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/16/nation/la-na-court-crack-20120417

Do not for a second judge that little kid that couldn’t rise above the oil infested creek of the Niger Delta or any other hood just because you did for you can’t fathom what his “surroundings” have done to his psyche.

Mind you, this post is coming from a professional in a field where AAs probably represent ~1% of my profession. I’m a Patent Attorney (electrical engineering degrees + law degree). I don’t believe in making excuses but that does not mean other people don’t have an excuse.

You people should please have some respect for the dead who died in that ill fated air crash this past sunday in Nigeria and kindly take your back and forth bickering and arguing elsewhere. Nigeria is in mourning for goodness sake. Have you people no conscience?

@Post

Whose 'smart' idea was it to raise up this 'old' thread from February anyway? And what is this thread doing in the politics section? should this thread not be in the cultural section? Sigh! undecided Anyways, OP what do you care what american blacks call themselves? why do some Nigerians like taking panadol for another man's headache? How does what they choose to call themselves affect the price of fish in the market? How does what they choose to call themselves affect us as Nigerians?

I personally think they should call themselves black americans because truth be told, there is nothing 'African' about them, culturally that is. I think that americans who were born and bred in america to continental African parents should be called African Americans because they are the direct offspring of African immigrants.

Now, let's kindly drop the topic because as Nigerians we have bigger fishes to fry. We must focus on Nigeria and how to solve our numerous problems. What non-African negros in other parts of the world choose to do with themselves should not be our concern because we have more pressing issues that warrant our attention right now. This is my humble opinion.
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by dasparrow: 1:12am On Jun 05, 2012
ROSSIKE:

COMMON SHARRAP THERE, COLONISED, BRAINWASHED HE-GOAT. BEFORE THE WHITE MAN CAME,AFRICANS LIVED IN BIG CITIES WITH THOROUGHFARES, WIDE ROADS AND DRAINAGE + NUMEROUS CITIES FILLED WITH GRAND RESIDENCES. BENIN CITY WAS COMPARED TO THE BEST CITIES IN EUROPE AS EARLY AS THE 15TH CENTURY.

Benin City 16th Century

[img]http://thelosttreasurechest.files./2011/07/oba-king-of-the-benin-empire-in-the-great-capital-city-of-ile-ibinu-during-a-ceremony.jpg?w=640[/img]

Very well said!
Re: African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks by AfroBlue(m): 2:15am On Jun 05, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fashola Recommends N1m Salary For NPL Players / Pictures From On Going Construction Of 2nd Niger Bridge. / Peter Obi Blasts Buhari’s Subsidy Policy, Says "We Are Paying For Inefficiency"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.