Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria (9997 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 12:58pm On Feb 15, 2012
We had a vehicle that was supposed to leave the US for Lagos in January. When the departure date came, the shipping company contacted us and said the date has been extended by 2 weeks. They explained that they need more cars to fill the vessel and asked us to let others know they have space in their vessel. The vessel in question has since left. But from what I heard, other vessels are sending out similar requests as we speak.

Shippers calling for cars to fill their vessels in this magnitude is unheard of. It is a clear indication of the sharp drop in the number of cars being shipped to Nigeria. This drop actually started last year when the exchange rate rose from N150 to N160 and then N165. The irony is that this steep rise in exchange rate is not reflected in the price of cars in Nigeria despite the fact that the cars are purchased in US Dollars, British Pounds or Euros as the case may be. Instead of increasing to match the prevalent exchange rate, the price of cars in Nigeria either stayed the same or declined in some instances.

The effect of this drop in tokunbo cars shipped to Nigeria will not be felt for sometime to come. I say this because an inordinate amount of tokunbo cars were shipped to Nigeria by people of all walks of life in the past few years. The car market is still very much saturated with those shipments. Also Nigerian used or registered cars are filling the void left by the tokunbos. As one can see there is an increase in the number of registered cars being offered for sale here and elsewhere.

For all intents and purposes, tokunbo cars are now cheaper in Nigeria than they are in the US. Last week, an acquaintance contacted me seeking to buy a 1998 Pathfinder for his father. I looked up the price and told him he will be better off buying it in Lagos. To avoid buying a junk car at a price you deem attractive, do a VIN check first. It is worth it's value in gold. Don’t do the VIN check after you have paid for the car, it may be too late by then.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Shagati(m): 1:24pm On Feb 15, 2012
I think I agree with you
Someone mentioned here sometime ago that Naija used is the new Tokunbo

The reason for this includes amongst others:
- Access to quality auto parts as some users now order own parts directly from the States and Europe
- Improving quality of auto mechanics thereby cars are kept on the road in better condition than previously
- Many Naija used vehicles of today now compare favourably with imported vehicles from a mechanical point of view
- People can afford to change cars more often thus providing a steady stream of ok, Naija used cars

I am open to corrections on the above points
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2012
Sorry to digress here, BizBooks.

Shagati: I responded to your query with regards my email address, on the red Audi A4 thread.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by earthrealm(m): 1:50pm On Feb 15, 2012
good thread, am amazed at the prices i see cars being advertised here, bearing in mind that u gotta ship/clear/make profit etc, it either means most cars being advertised are stolen/junk/salvaged, cos it doesnt just make sense to be looking 4 a miserable 100k profit after investing abt 2m or so for like 3 to 4months in buying/shipping/clearing a car, until the exchange rate drops, the trend will continue, i mean shipps taking lonegr time to fill their cargo
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2012
Siena:

Sorry to digress here, BizBooks.

Shagati: I responded to your query with regards my email address, on the red Audi A4 thread.

That's fine.

earthrealm:

good thread, am amazed at the prices i see cars being advertised here, bearing in mind that u gotta ship/clear/make profit etc, it either means most cars being advertised are stolen/junk/salvaged, cos it doesnt just make sense to be looking 4 a miserable 100k profit after investing abt 2m or so . . . .

That's why I strongly recommend that buyers run a VIN check before paying for a car. Experienced folks like you and I can tell something is wrong when a car is priced below the market value. But somebody else might see it as a good deal which it is not.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by femmy2010(m): 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2012
I can only but agree with all you have said.
Saw a Tokunbo 1999 Camry advertised for N800k here on NL and I wonder where the seller got that from and you still see peeps pricing it much lower than advertised.
Buying a salvaged car is still a better deal than buying a car stolen in Kaduna and sold as a Tokunbo in Lagos.
Buyers should indeed beware and remember that awuf sure affects the tummy.

1 Like

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Shagati(m): 3:38pm On Feb 15, 2012
femmy2010:

Saw a Tokunbo 1999 Camry advertised for N800k here on NL and I wonder where the seller got that from and you still see peeps pricing it much lower than advertised.
Buying a salvaged car is still a better deal than buy a car stolen in Kaduna and sold in Lagos.
Buyers should indeed beware and remember that awuf sure affects the tummy.

LOL! Very funny
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 15, 2012
femmy2010:

I can only but agree with all you have said.
[b]Saw a Tokunbo 1999 Camry advertised for N800k here on NL and I wonder where the seller got that from and you still see peeps pricing it much lower than advertised.

Buying a salvaged car is still a better deal than buying a car stolen in Kaduna and sold as a Tokunbo in Lagos.
Buyers should indeed beware and remember that awuf sure affects the tummy.[/b]

But i don't fink that 800k is too much for a registered Camry 1999 sha  undecided,
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by gigabytes: 4:24pm On Feb 15, 2012
I have a Toyota Siena i put for 1.3M. to my suprise, siena is sold between 900 to 1.1 2001 model. I later got a buyer who has gone round and discovered that mine is the purest, untouched and most durable.  I believe our people are too ijebuish  (not abuse pls) they can price pure water to 1 toro. Obe to dun, owolo paaaa.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 4:25pm On Feb 15, 2012
femmy2010:

. . . . Buying a salvaged car is still a better deal than buying a car stolen in Kaduna and sold as a Tokunbo in Lagos.

There is nothing wrong in buying a salvaged car. My first car (a 1996 Saturn SL1 was a salvage and it served me well for 6 years before I handed it over to a relative). The problem arises when some Nigerian dealers try to sell such cars without disclosing that fact. When you go to any auction here in the US, the auctioneers will clearly tell you if a car is salvage. So the people that ship salvaged cars to Nigeria are mostly likely aware of that. They just don't want the buyers to know.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 4:28pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ijogz K:

But i don't fink that 800k is too much for a registered Camry 1999 sha  undecided

But Femmy is talking about a tokunbo not registered 1999 Camry. Refer to his post above.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by gigabytes: 4:31pm On Feb 15, 2012
I also have 1999 model leather, unused just 39,000 km even the manifold is not burnt yet, still shining. Price last 1.2. you dont have it, dont come near.  jennifersaynes@live.ca
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 15, 2012
gigabytes:

I also have 1999 model leather, unused just 39,000 km even the manifold is not burnt yet, still shining. Price last 1.2. you dont have it, dont come near.  jennifersaynes@live.ca
May God help you find a buyer cheesy
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by gigabytes: 4:34pm On Feb 15, 2012
I guarante that you will not change anything in d car for 3 years.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by txswat: 4:44pm On Feb 15, 2012
BizBooks:

There is nothing wrong in buying a salvaged car. My first car (a 1996 Saturn SL1 was a salvage and it served me well for 6 years before I handed it over to a relative). The problem arises when some Nigerian dealers try to sell such cars without disclosing that fact. When you go to any auction here in the US, the auctioneers will clearly tell you if a car is salvage. So the people that ship salvaged cars to Nigeria are mostly likely aware of that. They just don't want the buyers to know.

For the record I don't do salvaged cars unless the customer specifically request one for budgetary reasons. For me it's not really so much of if the car is salvaged for me its more why it is salvaged. For example I think it is cruel and selfish to send cars with no airbags to naija. I believe that is why most times there is any kind of an accident in naija people almost always die. When people do that just keep in mind what goes around comes around. What if the person you were selling to is a family member would you still send that type of car
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by dripstoil: 4:47pm On Feb 15, 2012
Push and start

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ollyruffy: 5:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
Poster,

I totally agree with you. People really need to be careful when buying tokunbo cars these days. Anyway, nigerians love cheap things smiley
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:02pm On Feb 15, 2012
@all, the simply reason is that those bastard calling themselves dealer are pure thiefs.
i deposited for an honda eod later to dicovered that it was pure accident and salvage car. i will show you the pics the motherf ucker  showed me before buying and after i discovered using the VIN. so beware always use the VIN

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2012
image still ccontinue

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:07pm On Feb 15, 2012
now see what the dealer bought for me

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:09pm On Feb 15, 2012
shine your eyes

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:12pm On Feb 15, 2012
thats is the only reason why cars are cheaper in Nigeria inrespective of the rate of exchange. hope you all learn from my mistake cos my money is still with him and all of you should help me pray so that my money will not enter voice mail. thanks
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Emperoh(m): 5:14pm On Feb 15, 2012
Lightest,

Did u meet the person on nairaland?
if yes, we would like to know who the person is for others to take note.

But i won't totally absolve you of the blame. Correct me if i am wrong, you may have
turned to this because the price tag you saw on it was cheap enough
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:21pm On Feb 15, 2012
@ emperoh, the price tag was not cheap at all, only that the dealer was travelling to USA at that time and i tot he would bring me something swf eeter and prestigious. the car was 1.650k and i paid him 1.250k when he was going. if u look at the pictures very well u will see a shadow of dealer in front of the car which means he did travelled truly
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 5:29pm On Feb 15, 2012
@ Lightest,

1. Did you ask the dealer to get you a salvaged car?
2. Is the car with you now and is it still in the same condition shown in the pictures?
2. How did you get those pictures?

The stamp on the pictures say "Insurance Auto Auction". By their very nature, all insurance auctions sell salvaged cars. So if somebody tells you he is getting a car for you from an insurance auction, then be aware that you are getting a salvaged car without exception.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:44pm On Feb 15, 2012
@Bizbooks,

i did not ask him for salvaged car, we negotiated for a good and clean car and he has repaired the car fully now only that i refused to collect the car since i know the degree of damage. the only mistake he did was that the first 2 pictures showing the interiors was given to me late which means he downloaded it when when he came back to nigeria and thats was ao i got the clue and visited the site.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2012
@Lightest,

Ignore my previous questions. I did not read your first post. This is a classical case of bait and switch. 1.650 is about the right price for a clean 2003/2004 Accord. So a salvage like the one shown in the pictures should cost much less. You have the right to ask for your money back or a substantial discount.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by lightest(m): 5:56pm On Feb 15, 2012
@ bizbook,
if you see that car, you will never know it was repaired only God knew his panel beaters
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ogaibe1(m): 6:10pm On Feb 15, 2012
One thing we nigerians doesnt understand is no body cares about truth, truth is dead in nigeria, when a car is imported to nigeria and the correct price is posted on it nobody will like to pay for such price because we always want something cheap, so i cant really blame anyone bringing in salvage cars and sell it cheap because that is what nigerians want, nobody is willing to pay the real price of any car. These dealers that are shipping cars to nigeria has to go thru customs and clearing and forwarding, the price must be very expensive anyways. I know that the car market is saturated now but there will be a time nigerians will loose on good cars because everybody is cheap in nigeria, That is the reason china has spoiled us all. This issue has its own palaver. WE WANT TO DRIVE BIG CARS BUT BRING THE MONEY FOR SUCH CARS NOBODY WANTS TO DO THAT SO DONT BLAME THE DEALERS.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by occam(m): 6:31pm On Feb 15, 2012
@lightest. I believe it's the same car; the hood and front door looks damaged in the first pics. Why was the car closely sandwiched with other cars? He should have sent images showing the car alone. Clearly, this is a very dubious dealer

The dealer simply tricked you by concealing damages in the pic he sent. The passenger's side was not even shown in the pics

Go for a full refund or massive discount. wish you all the best
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 7:09pm On Feb 15, 2012
ogaibe1:

One thing we nigerians doesnt understand is no body cares about truth, truth is dead in nigeria, when a car is imported to nigeria and the correct price is posted on it nobody will like to pay for such price because we always want something cheap, so i cant really blame anyone bringing in salvage cars and sell it cheap because that is what nigerians want, nobody is willing to pay the real price of any car. These dealers that are shipping cars to nigeria has to go thru customs and clearing and forwarding, the price must be very expensive anyways. I know that the car market is saturated now but there will be a time nigerians will loose on good cars because everybody is cheap in nigeria, That is the reason china has spoiled us all. This issue has its own palaver. WE WANT TO DRIVE BIG CARS BUT BRING THE MONEY FOR SUCH CARS NOBODY WANTS TO DO THAT [/b]SO DONT BLAME THE DEALERS.

[b]That is so true, however, that is not enough for a dealer to sell a clunker pretending it is a clean ride . . . Though most are not honest in Nigeria, but being honest starts with only one person.
Nothing markets a dealer better than honesty and efficiency.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by slam7000(m): 7:41pm On Feb 15, 2012
@lightest,

i feel sorry for you,there are lots of frauds out there and i hope you,ve learnt your lesson and do pray you guys settle it amicably, i think you,ll need to be mindful of the mileage next time,even if that honda wasnt salvaged car,i think 173000km on the dashboard is too much, a low mileage car is more important than the body.that shld be your priority,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tips on How To Protect Your Car From Being Stolen This Christmas Period / Replica Body Kits: The Nearest Thing To Owning A Super Car. / 5 Causes Of Timing Chain Noise In Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.