Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe (15720 Views)

A Housemaster Injures SS3 Student In Ogun State(graphic Photos) / Principal Impregnates SS3 Student, Rushes Her For Wedding - Universal Reporters / Started ICAN In SS3, Bags First-Class At 20 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by OnlyRebel: 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2012
[b]SS3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Assembly Probe 
Published on February 15, 2012 by  

It was a show of shame yesterday at the Oyo State House of Assembly when an SSS3 student of United Senior Secondary School, Ijokodo, Ibadan, Oyo State, Southwest Nigeria, could not address the legislators in simple and correct English.

Master Allison Chukwuebuka, also called Ebuka, was invited by the legislators to explain why he beat up his class teacher, Mr. Gbenga Ogunleye, a graduate of Ekiti State University for punishing him alongside other 19 students for indecent dressing.

The student was ushered into the Assembly chambers in the company of his father, Mr. Emmanuel Allison, an inspector with Nigeria Customs Service, and other three top officers of the service.

When called upon by the Speaker of the Oyo State House of Assembly, Monsurat Sumonu to narrate what led to a clash between him and his teacher, Mr. Gbenga Ogunleye on Friday 27 January 2012, there was slight confusion as to whether he was mature enough to take an oath.

But Ebuka himself came to the rescue as he claimed he was 18 years even though investigation by the state Ministry of Education revealed that he was over 20 years.

Immediately he started speaking in Pidgin English, the father felt embarrassed, put his face down and covered it with his palms as as the son explained the circumstances that led to his beating up his teacher.

Giving his own side of the story, Chukuebuka said: “I get to school in the morning. The teacher see me with sandal. He say make I remove my trouser, I say no l can’t remove it before everybody. He double the cane, flog me, flog me and flog me. He flog me finish. He flog me until I fall for ground. He dey flog me. The cane too much. The wound too much. After, Vice Principal send me home make I go call my parent”.

Responding to a question by the Speaker, Chukuebuka, former student of Imo State Community School who joined United Senior Secondary School last year, said that he was not the only student punished for misconduct that day but he was the only one that violently reacted to the punishment.

His explanation irked the legislators as they unequivocally condemned him for his action.

They also condemned his father who was alleged to have led at least 10 of his colleagues into the school in three Customs’ vehicles, shooting indiscriminately and encouraged the son to beat up his teacher.

Kehinde Subair simply summarised his view by saying, “There is an act of indiscipline in the Ministry of Education which must be seriously addressed.”

Other legislators that condemned the student for his action were Ibrahim Bolomope representing Egbeda State Constituency and Ganiyu Adekunle from Atiba State Constituency.

Bolomope in his own contribution declared that the student’s father was not fit to be in Customs Service, stressing that his contribution to the incident was quite bad.

But Olusegun Olaleye, popularly called Radical, and the youngest in the Oyo House of Assembly, stood on the side of the students and pleaded with the House to temper justice with mercy.

He said that the erring student should be forgiven in the spirit of Valentine which preaches love.

He claimed that the student’s teacher was wrong to have brutalised the student. But he was shouted down by his colleagues and prevailed upon to take his seat.

Speaker Sumonu, however, gave two weeks to the three authorities: Oyo State Ministry of Education, Customs Service and the police to make their reports available to the House.

The student has been suspended.

The session was greeted with reaction from over 100 people that came to witness the session.

Most people could not comprehend why an SS3 student could not speak good English, saying that there is enough evidence to show that Nigeria’s educational system has completely collapsed.

A woman was heard saying, “Did they say that boy will sit for WAEC this year? What will he write in the examination? Unfortunately, the state government has paid for his examination. I think the state government should stop paying WAEC examination fees on behalf of students. Anybody that can’t pay should not sit for the exam because they cannot be wasting money on unserious students.

“There are many things the government can use our money to do."

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/15/ss3-student-opts-for-pidgin-at-assembly-probe/comment-page-1/#comment-203147
[/b]
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by jpilata(m): 7:36pm On Feb 15, 2012
It is an embarrassment to nigerian education.It is very funny.Please take this to joke section
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Mobinga: 9:24am On Feb 16, 2012
God damn.

Too bad he's not the only one that cannot speak correct English let alone write.

Ask most people who spend their time on Twitter and Facebook what the differences are between ;

you, your, you're
were, we're, where, wear
they're, their, there

. . . you would be shocked, and some of these students actually use ur in exams.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by buy4me: 9:28am On Feb 16, 2012
How did this thrash made it to the front page.
This Nairalan moderators are somethinf else!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Okijajuju1(m): 9:28am On Feb 16, 2012
Only-Rebel:

[b]SS3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Assembly Probe
Published on February 15, 2012 by  

It was a show of shame yesterday at the Oyo State House of Assembly when an SSS3 student of United Senior Secondary School, Ijokodo, Ibadan, Oyo State, Southwest Nigeria, could not address the legislators in simple and correct English.

Master Allison Chukwuebuka, also called Ebuka, was invited by the legislators to explain why he beat up his class teacher, Mr. Gbenga Ogunleye, a graduate of Ekiti State University for punishing him alongside other 19 students for indecent dressing.

The student was ushered into the Assembly chambers in the company of his father, Mr. Emmanuel Allison, an inspector with Nigeria Customs Service, and other three top officers of the service.

When called upon by the Speaker of the Oyo State House of Assembly, Monsurat Sumonu to narrate what led to a clash between him and his teacher, Mr. Gbenga Ogunleye on Friday 27 January 2012, there was slight confusion as to whether he was mature enough to take an oath.

But Ebuka himself came to the rescue as he claimed he was 18 years even though investigation by the state Ministry of Education revealed that he was over 20 years.

Immediately he started speaking in Pidgin English, the father felt embarrassed, put his face down and covered it with his palms as as the son explained the circumstances that led to his beating up his teacher.

Giving his own side of the story, Chukuebuka said: “I get to school in the morning. The teacher see me with sandal. He say make I remove my trouser, I say no l can’t remove it before everybody. He double the cane, flog me, flog me and flog me. He flog me finish. He flog me until I fall for ground. He dey flog me. The cane too much. The wound too much. After, Vice Principal send me home make I go call my parent”.

Responding to a question by the Speaker, Chukuebuka, former student of Imo State Community School who joined United Senior Secondary School last year, said that he was not the only student punished for misconduct that day but he was the only one that violently reacted to the punishment.

His explanation irked the legislators as they unequivocally condemned him for his action.

They also condemned his father who was alleged to have led at least 10 of his colleagues into the school in three Customs’ vehicles, shooting indiscriminately and encouraged the son to beat up his teacher.

Kehinde Subair simply summarised his view by saying, “There is an act of indiscipline in the Ministry of Education which must be seriously addressed.”

Other legislators that condemned the student for his action were Ibrahim Bolomope representing Egbeda State Constituency and Ganiyu Adekunle from Atiba State Constituency.

Bolomope in his own contribution declared that the student’s father was not fit to be in Customs Service, stressing that his contribution to the incident was quite bad.

But Olusegun Olaleye, popularly called Radical, and the youngest in the Oyo House of Assembly, stood on the side of the students and pleaded with the House to temper justice with mercy.

He said that the erring student should be forgiven in the spirit of Valentine which preaches love.

He claimed that the student’s teacher was wrong to have brutalised the student. But he was shouted down by his colleagues and prevailed upon to take his seat.

Speaker Sumonu, however, gave two weeks to the three authorities: Oyo State Ministry of Education, Customs Service and the police to make their reports available to the House.

The student has been suspended.

The session was greeted with reaction from over 100 people that came to witness the session.

Most people could not comprehend why an SS3 student could not speak good English, saying that there is enough evidence to show that Nigeria’s educational system has completely collapsed.

[size=16pt]A woman was heard saying, “Did they say that boy will sit for WAEC this year? What will he write in the examination? Unfortunately, the state government has paid for his examination. I think the state government should stop paying WAEC examination fees on behalf of students. Anybody that can’t pay should not sit for the exam because they cannot be wasting money on unserious students.

“There are many things the government can use our money to do."
[/size]
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/15/ss3-student-opts-for-pidgin-at-assembly-probe/comment-page-1/#comment-203147
[/b]

Like seriously. . . .

Whatever happened to MERIT scholarships?!

Now nobody needs to fight for nothing nomore.  Shit is just there for lazy and hardworking students equally. . . . Whats the motivation to work hard?! angry

On the subject matter of teachers flogging students, I think the ministry of Education needs to review that policy as many teachers have now turned child molesters and abusers.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pcicero(m): 9:31am On Feb 16, 2012
This is not a funny matter at all. The parent of that child deserves to be punished by the Customs Service. He really went overboard. Infact, he should be prosecuted.

As for Segun Olaleye, a former NANS president (1998)and supposed youngest member of the house, to have made such a jocular contribution in a serious debate shows that the problem with Nigeria is beyond the agitation for transfer of power to youths. We should stop blaming the gerontocrats. We are also part of the problems.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pcicero(m): 9:34am On Feb 16, 2012
I can also understand why Ibrahim Bolomope took it personal. He was a former teacher, NUT and NLC president of Oyo state.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by atasteve: 9:36am On Feb 16, 2012
Show of shame indeed and his father also had the boldness of fighting on his behalf when he suppose to teach his boy angry
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by proffmanue(m): 9:44am On Feb 16, 2012
The irresponsible father should apologizes for siding an uncultured, unrefined and unruly son he has. the father should be punished for the pandemonium he caused. As for the teacher, he did his job but he should learn how to manage students.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Funkymallam(m): 9:49am On Feb 16, 2012
Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Mobinga: 9:49am On Feb 16, 2012
proffmanue:

The irresponsible father should apologizes for siding an uncultured, unrefined and unruly son he has. the father should be punished for the pandemonium he caused. As for the teacher, he did his job but he should learn how to manage students.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-o0NaBQ6bCEw/TZpKygzDlwI/AAAAAAAAKuU/ilAP8q7v1W8/s1600/facepalm2.png[/img]
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Funkymallam(m): 9:51am On Feb 16, 2012
Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Claus(m): 9:52am On Feb 16, 2012
Mobinga:

God damn.

Too bad he's not the only one that cannot speak correct English let alone write.

Ask most people who spend their time on Twitter and Facebook what the differences are between ;

you, your, you're
were, we're, where, wear
they're, their, there

. . . you would be shocked, and some of these students actually use ur in exams.

Spot on. The most common error being the difference between lose and loose.

The issue is much wider than we can imagine.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Okijajuju1(m): 9:54am On Feb 16, 2012
To all of you supporting the teacher, why did the teacher do the following;

- Ask the boy to strip in front of the whole school!? What was this supposed to achieve?! Was that in a bid to mentally destroy the boy?! Where in the teachers handbook did it give power to teachers to strip a student naked in the middle of school?!

- Why did the teacher flog the child till the point that he broke his skin and caused the boy an injjury?! If that teacher were abroad, he would be looking at jail time.

- Why did the teacher have to double the cane?! Was one cane not enough discipline for the young boy?!

- By what punishment scale did the teacher determine his choice of discipline?!

Before you condenm the boy and his father, remember as well that you may have been that child or he may have been your son. I know two cases of kids that got blinded by their teachers in the middle of flogging them, and one of the girls sef was not guilty of anything. Nigerians raise children like animals, and when they start acting like what you've raised them to be, you all start shouting. Flogging should anly be used as a capital punishment in all public schools. the board of Education needs to publish a punishment scale and distribute to teachers and students alike. I remember a teacher that flogged us for failing a test. LIKE SERIOUSLY!! angry If we failed a test, shouldnt the teacher be the one to be flogged as that would ordinarily mean he failed to pass his message across to the students.

The boys father did what I would have done, you flog my child like an animal, I will treat you like an animal and withdraw my kid from that school. angry

1 Like

Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by 4teelaw(f): 9:56am On Feb 16, 2012
in my opinion, the teacher deserved every bit of the beating by that student.
There are ways to punish children without being brutal.Did you hear the boy? The teacher doubled the cane! He beat him till he fell down? is he an animal? What happened to clearing grass or sweeping the entire school yard, or detention for a couple of hours?
i accept his father went overboard.
Teachers do not have a right to beat up anyone like that!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by opensine: 10:12am On Feb 16, 2012
A multi- disciplinary company requires services of marketers in Abuja & metropolis

Minimum requirement: OND in social science or any other related courses.

Any interested candidate should send his or her CV through this email address
info@tospod.com on or before 21/2/2012.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by birdman(m): 10:26am On Feb 16, 2012
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by iykak47: 10:28am On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

- Ask the boy to strip in front of the whole school!? What was this supposed to achieve?! Was that in a bid to mentally destroy the boy?! Where in the teachers handbook did it give power to teachers to strip a student Unclad in the middle of school?!

- Why did the teacher flog the child till the point that he broke his skin and caused the boy an injjury?! If that teacher were abroad, he would be looking at jail time.

- Why did the teacher have to double the cane?! Was one cane not enough discipline for the young boy?!

Before you condenm the boy and his father, remember as well that you may have been that child or he may have been your son. I know two cases of kids that got blinded by their teachers in the middle of flogging them, and one of the girls sef was not guilty of anything. Nigerians raise children like animals, and when they start acting like what you've raised them to be, you all start shouting. Flogging should anly be used as a capital punishment in all public schools. the board of Education needs to publish a punishment scale and distribute to teachers and students alike. I remember a teacher that flogged us for failing a test. LIKE SERIOUSLY!! angry If we failed a test, shouldnt the teacher be the one to be flogged as that would ordinarily mean he failed to pass his message across to the students.

The boys father did what I would have done, you flog my child like an animal, I will treat you like an animal and withdraw my kid from that school. angry
Amadioha Okija i agree with you, i believe the teacher is wicked and should be punished, you dont get my child injured or killed in a name of punishment.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by norrisman: 10:29am On Feb 16, 2012
@ Okija and 4teelaw

Thanks guys. At least we still have people with common sense. While I do not condone what the father or boy did, the teacher is the main instigator here.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pcicero(m): 10:31am On Feb 16, 2012
Quote:
'Responding to a question by the Speaker, Chukuebuka, former student of Imo State Community School who joined United Senior Secondary School last year, said that he was not the only student punished for misconduct that day but he was the only one that violently reacted to the punishment'

While it would be absurd for anyone to support brutality or molestation in the guise of punishment, I believe that the above statement is self-indicting.
1.He was not the only student punished on that day.
2. There is no record that the cane was doubled when it got to his turn.

3. The way he reacted to the teacher would have prompted the severity of his punishment IMHO.

My mother was a teacher. Though I would say she was not fond of flogging students. But some students knowing they have powerful and influential parents can be too hot to handle.

Moreso, how can anyone justify his father's response? He brought about 10 servicemen with guns who shot sporadically into the air to scare the whole school.
Not done with that, he ordered his son to beat up his teacher in retaliation. Haba!
What stops him from reporting the matter to higher authorities since he felt his ward was treated unjustly?

Some of this paramilitary men are even worse than soldiers in their reasoning.
Would that boy ever respect any teacher in his life?
His father has sown a venomous seed into his psyche and I can only hope that he reaps from it.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by DeepSoul(f): 10:34am On Feb 16, 2012
buy4me:

How did this thrash[b] made[/b] it to the front page.
This Nairalan moderators are somethinf else!

Nna mehn, if you cannot write SIMPLE English, do not post!!!!
These days, people write so badly I start to wonder if English Language was an OPTIONAL subject in Primary and Secondary schools. Sheesh!

1 Like

Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by iykak47: 10:36am On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

- Ask the boy to strip in front of the whole school!? What was this supposed to achieve?! Was that in a bid to[b]mentally destroy the boy[/b]?! Where in the teachers handbook did it give power to teachers to strip a student Unclad in the middle of school?!

Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 16, 2012
Much as i dont side wit the teacher, the father of the boy went way overboard. That's what results when one has poor cordination of his temper. Am sure he wuldnt hav gone that far if he'd envisaged what's happening 2day.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Koolking(m): 10:51am On Feb 16, 2012
More profoundly is the usage of 'been and being'. It's startling to note even post graduates blunders using these two words.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by agabaI23(m): 11:01am On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

- Ask the boy to strip in front of the whole school!? What was this supposed to achieve?! Was that in a bid to mentally destroy the boy?! Where in the teachers handbook did it give power to teachers to strip a student Unclad in the middle of school?!

There is no point duplicating your post. You have said it all. But I will like to add that storming the school with bus loads of custom officers was an overkill. There are more civil ways to press for justice.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 11:01am On Feb 16, 2012
the teacher should consider himself lucky he left with just beating. i'm NOT really sure he was beaten the way he deserves. being alive to tell the story should be his 'miracle of the year' hence, i'll advice him to give a testimony to the fact that he's alive to tell the story when next he's in church.

there's no justification to punish a child in that manner. public school teachers are just a bunch of nuisance. i attended one and I MEAN what i'm saying here. in the first place if they are competent, a supposedly ss3 student who cant fluently in plane and simple english articulate himself is enough evidence of their sheer ineptitude. what do you expect from a failed system without a proper structure to assess students. how the hell did such a student make it from jss1 to ss3? is he a magician?

like i stated earlier, i attended a public school (finished 1996) and i must confess that although i'm doing great today [by my personal assessments of academic prowess vis-a-vis being a medical practitioner and an academic researcher at the moment grin grin grin grin grin] my GREATEST regret in life today is attending a public primary and secondary school. our teachers taught us in vernacular always and were always busy gossiping in their miserable offices. we lacked basic amenities any one would ideally expect a secondary school to have. I could count the number of times teachers delivered lectures on the fingers of one hand. as if that is not enough, students were flogged much more than cows from Sokoto to Lagos  angry angry angry angry.

I wish I had parents who could fight for me like this students up here, i swear, i'll be the one to first snatch my fathers riffle from him and practically blow the miserable teacher''s coagulated brains out of his thick skull and damn the consequences. inspite of leaving school over 16 years ago, each time I reflect and remember how we were assaulted with canes [sometimes doubled like this case] it sends shivers of 'terror'down my spine. it's  a traumatic experience and it's more or less have left a sort of psychological scar  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided. I remember a guy who was asked to lie postrate on his long desk, he was flogged like a criminal until he fell from the desk and broke his arm. another one was flogged till we saw all the layers of his his endodermis {inner skin layers looking white], if not for privacy reasons and the fact that i have decided to let go  grin grin grin grin grin grin, i'll post the name of this hopeless school i attended and name the teachers in question bacause i have refused to forget their names. i still watch out for the day i'll stumble into any of them. i will surely harass them i swear!!

our teachers were very lazy retards and only heavens know how they were recruited. 300 students sat for WAEC and only 9 of us passed english. please dont ask me my grade because i managed to eascape , hehehhehehe, we were 80 in science class but you wont believe it -- just 2, passed physics- our saving grace, we both formed a formidable private reading group. statistics for the other subjects were equally miserable if not worse! yet, the dimwitted moro0ns who call themselves teachers summon the balls to flog a child.

i dont intend sending a child to public school ooooo, but if any cretin or slo[i]w[/i]poke dare touch my child, i swear, his ordeal in my hands will make headlines in all Nigerian newspapers, because i'm really feeling vindictive o!!!!!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 16, 2012
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by rukie(f): 11:05am On Feb 16, 2012
Funkymallam:

Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!

grin grin grin
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 16, 2012
Shiiit happens!!
Even d national assembly members #gbagaun.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Ribaman(m): 11:07am On Feb 16, 2012
pcicero:

This is not a funny matter at all. The parent of that child deserves to be punished by the Customs Service. He really went overboard. Infact, he should be prosecuted.

As for Segun Olaleye, a former NANS president (1998)and supposed youngest member of the house, to have made such a jocular contribution in a serious debate shows that the problem with Nigeria is beyond the agitation for transfer of power to youths. We should stop blaming the gerontocrats. We are also part of the problems.

Picero! Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by wellmax(m): 11:08am On Feb 16, 2012
Education in Nigeria is at its low ebb. I had τ̅☺ stop marking WAEC papers because of the disappointing performance of the students. I tell you no zone is spared, except for a few private schools. Many of them have answers written on the board for them during examination Äπϑ yet end up writing rubbish. SMH
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by gaddafe(m): 11:10am On Feb 16, 2012
Why should a teacher beat up a student in the first place. What right is he(the teacher) given in the constitution of Nigeria to humiliate a student up till the extent of degrading him as to strip of in public. A 20 years old student for that matter.
I actually think the teacher got what he deserved,only that the father misused the power vested on him by the authority.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Host Of Abia Children's Quiz Competition, Queen Irene Onwuka Speaks On Impact / Ebonyi University Sacks 63 Lecturers, Staff For Forgery, Sexual Harassment / Don’t Handle Education Like Buhari, ASUU Tells Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.