Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently (25266 Views)

I Got A Job Recently.need Your Advice Urgently / My Job Interview Experience Today / How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by georgee(m): 9:59am On Feb 16, 2012
Hello guys, i am soo depressed and devasted as am typing this. The shake up in the banking industry affected me last nyt. Ecobank bought over oceanic bank, Last nyt 15-02-2012 was a black day 4me. 90% of us my dept were disengaged. My fiancee is 3months pregnant, my introduction is comin up by march, Am using this medium to beg anybody dat can help a brother out, Life is full of ups and downs. I need to move on. My fiancee has bn crying eva since. My mum myt kill herself if she finds out. Help is wat i seek for, God wil surely make it easy 4 al of us. It took me 3yrs of pain and anguish afta NYSC to gt the job. I hav a B.Sc in Met/Mat Engineering, UNILAG. God bless u as help a brother in need.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by georgee(m): 2:04pm On Feb 16, 2012
Moderator culd u pls help push this
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Totfulguy: 2:21am On Feb 17, 2012
@Georgee. No sentiments here. Change strategy. I know you have been paid some sort of severance benefit, pls use that to start a new life. Let everyone show some understanding of the situation. Keeping it away from them will only worsen the situation when they ultimately find out. Get real!!! Tell everybody that should know! Hold yourself together as NOBODY will do it for you. You can reduce your budget for ur introduction/wedding and make it simple (marriage is a blessing) DONT EXPECT PITY! If you sit back and think people will rally to your aid, you may as well get ready for a rude awakening. Pray to the Almighty God Jehovah. He answers prayers.

2 Likes

Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by georgee(m): 7:11am On Feb 17, 2012
Totfulguy:

@Georgee. No sentiments here. Change strategy. I know you have been paid some sort of severance benefit, pls use that to start a new life. Let everyone show some understanding of the situation. Keeping it away from them will only worsen the situation when they ultimately find out. Get real!!! Tell everybody that should know! Hold yourself together as NOBODY will do it for you. You can reduce your budget for ur introduction/wedding and make it simple (marriage is a blessing) DONT EXPECT PITY! If you sit back and think people will rally to your aid, you may as well get ready for a rude awakening. Pray to the Almighty God Jehovah. He answers prayers.
Tnx a lot 4 ur response. Try get me right, am nt soliciting 4 pple to start contributing money 4 me. Wt do u expect me 2 do wt a severance pay of 800k afta payin my house rend this month end(300k). As i type, wedn preparations ar at a halt til further notice. If i pay 300k out of my 800k, shuld b left wt 500. Mayb u cn teach a viable biz i cn do wt such amount. Am nt a big spender pay say. Al i ask 4 is help linking me 2 anoda job. Av neva stopd prayin 2 God. He is my helper, Thank u
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by georgee(m): 7:17am On Feb 17, 2012
Tnx a lot guy 4ur response. As we speak nw,marriage preparations ar at a halt. Was paid a severance pay of jst ova 800k, wt wil i do wt it afta payin 300k(my house rent)ths feb endin. Mayb u can teach me a viable biz i cn do wt 500k. Am nt soliciting 4 pple 2 contribute money 4me. Al i ask 4 is a sincere help dat cn link me 2 anoda job. I av neva stopd prayin 2 God, Tnx again 4 ur response
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Excelboi(m): 3:08pm On Feb 18, 2012
@op, u should be glad u have some amnt of money left for u to utilise into good use. Start sometin with dat amnt and keep u marriage preparation pending. I pray u get better help cos advise is all i can give for now. In cases like dis,u ought to have had anoda back up cos u dnt always depend on ur job. This serves as a lesson to oda's.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by violent(m): 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2012
It would probably help if you provided more information on your skills, what you were doing at your bank before getting laid off, what kind of job you are looking for at the moment and what you think you can offer a potential employer.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by thoniann(m): 3:16pm On Feb 18, 2012
Hmmmm, I feel your anguish man. Why don't you look into your field, get a small stall somewhere and get some mechanics to start doing mechanical services,vulcanizing etc. You can start hooking up with former clients of your bank and colleagues to patronise you. Package this outfit as an educated man and see the dividends. Just start and see how God will do the rest. Don't be discouraged.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by DonPedro21(m): 3:20pm On Feb 18, 2012
I know how u feel my brother. Lots of my friends are affected too. Please you all have to take hart and move on. I will put u in prayers.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by tollu: 3:21pm On Feb 18, 2012
georgee:

Tnx a lot guy 4ur response. As we speak nw,marriage preparations ar at a halt

You don't have to hold a massive celebration, go to the registry and make it legal so your pregnant fiancee can become your pregnant wife. When you make it, you can throw a big party if you want to.

I hat to hear i to but entrepreneurship is the way to go because the laour market has only supply these days, no demand at all. Look inwards for a thing you have a flair or love for and see how you can turn it to steady income. It might take a while but with FOCUS and 'strategic wisdom', you'll get there. Pele
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 18, 2012
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Nezan(m): 3:22pm On Feb 18, 2012
Don't let self pity consume you. This is not the end of the road for you, God is rather preparing you for a bigger step to climb in life. Take time out alone and look at your options. Let your mum know your predicament but don't allow her emotions get to you, be strong. It happened to me 5 yrs back but my life took a turn for the better; better job, better pay and now living where I never dreamt I will be. Good luck!
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 18, 2012
800k as severance allowance ? What is wrong with Nigeria institutions for God sake?
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by hercules07: 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2012
@George

You can start something with the 500K if you are business inclined, if not, look for those who have some skills and help them sell their products, you might know a mechanic that is super duper, look for clients and handle the repairs of cars for them, a lot of people are looking for reliable technicians, be their link person.

@Bluetooth

He is probably a contract staff, he is also lucky, a company I worked for is still owing me close to 1.5m Naira.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 18, 2012
Op, Ustillgotanopportunity, Whyisurfianceeevencrying??Douknowhowmanypeoplewishtogetuptohalfofwhatuhave??Uwannapayurrentbymonthend-meansuhaventpaid, Whyshoulduspenddatmuchonahouse, Moveouttoacheaperhouse, Forastart, Deninvest, Usedrestofdcashtostartupsumthing,
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 18, 2012
i can't say i truly feel U̶̲̥̅̊я pain. Only u can tell. Pls take hrt. Don't stop believing. Stay blessed
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by fortunejum: 3:35pm On Feb 18, 2012
How can you renew ur house rent with 300k when u know that u have no job at hand. You better park from there and be looking for a cheap house to rent for now, moreso, look for a reliable business and invest while looking for another job. Make use of ur brain and you will succeed with God by ur side. I wish u all the best.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by darqly(m): 3:39pm On Feb 18, 2012
Sorry to hear this george,this sort of setback can be disheartening, but please don't wallow in it. How many years experience do you have and where's your present location?
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by vinceobe: 3:44pm On Feb 18, 2012
My dear friend, I have these pieces of advice for you.

1.  Do not renew your rent of N300,000. Get into a smaller accommodation, if even it is a one room apartment that will cost something significantly less.

2.  Get a job, however small.  It could be a teaching job in a private school.  Even if the salary is N20k per month. Take it.  You know why?  So we you will
    leave home every morning and not stay in bed or at home distressing.

3.  Go ahead with your marriage ceremony but on a smaller scale. Just do traditional marriage and pend the white wedding until situation improves.

4.  Tell anybody that need to know.  No pretence at all.  God can use anybody to help you.

5.  Pray to God for help.  Life must go on.  Do not despair.  Many have been in your situation before and they pulled through.

Good luck.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by boriswole: 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2012
Guy,
This is not the end of the road, you just have to tread carefully.

Saying you want to renew ur house rent for 300k shows rue not ready to make adjustments.

Still do ur wedding anyway, but at the registry, don't be conned even the slightest gbogbo ero party.
Think of a small business you can do that will bring in a steady income, it may not be as glorifying as ur bank job, but it's important you get a steady income to feed your family. Just have it at the back of ur mind that ur small business can become big.

There are several options ranging from transportation, to food, security. Just think of a solution to a problem around you, that's a business Idea.

Take the next few weeks to research and come up with an Idea that will work for you.

I wish you all the best.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by jossy26: 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2012
vinceobe:

My dear friend, I have these pieces of advice for you.

1.  Do not renew your rent of N300,000. Get into a smaller accommodation, if even it is a one room apartment that will cost something significantly less.

2.  Get a job, however small.  It could be a teaching job in a private school.  Even if the salary is N20k per month. Take it.  You know why?  So we you will
    leave home every morning and not stay in bed or at home distressing.

3.  Go ahead with your marriage ceremony but on a smaller scale. Just do traditional marriage and pend the white wedding until situation improves.

4.  Tell anybody that need to know.  No pretence at all.  God can use anybody to help you.

5.  Pray to God for help.  Life must go on.  Do not despair.  Many have been in your situation before and they pulled through.

Good luck.
@George, please adhere strictly to this advice. This is best you can get, dnt fall for all dose scammers that will soon come to introduce you to one yeye online/internet bizness I beg in the name of God. That 800K must multiply before d end of the year IJN. Amen
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by hollandis(f): 3:52pm On Feb 18, 2012
You are an idiot!!!! What meaninful help do you want hereMYou want nairalanders to contribute or something?u must be on weed if ur nursing dat ambition.what were u doing with all those money u were amassing those daysPlease why should this be on front page?mschewwww
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Sirmuell(m): 3:54pm On Feb 18, 2012
Georgee, Without any aota of regret or pity u will be renowned fool if u renew yur rent with 300K out of 800K I mean how do pple think at times? Desperate times deserve desperate measures if it means u to get a room for 100K or less seff in a ghetto u had better do that than the 300K u wanna renew (waste)? As for yur marriage also don't even postpone it but cancel it cuz personally I don't know why pple without a definate plan or future for their life wanna get married and bring children into adverse poverty and suffering think of it cuz u can barely feed yurself right now but u wanna give birth does it make any sence to you George? When u get a room for less than a100k or better seff move in wiv a good friend then prayerfully repackage yurself and CV dust yurself up and lift yur head high and go out there and either think of a business to do wiv the remaining change or get yur self a new job after either of the two is settled then make sure u av saved up to 2million naira after which u then think marriage with anoda gyurl cuz I doubt if yur fiancee will be patient enuff to wait for u to get up again but that shld'nt stop you from realising yur dream my brother! A Man without a Purpose or Dream heading for a destination shouldn't be thinking of Marriage pls! We need to stop living like destitudes and that's why Nigeria may never know true development cuz the citizens don't possess a clear sence of how to barely succeed without the help of the Government or a "Job", my little piece of advice!
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by twinstaiye(m): 3:55pm On Feb 18, 2012
From experience, the severance pay should not be seen to you as if you have money somewhere, dont even think of paying house rent from it, cos it means you cant afford the house anymore, just as you had put a hold on the marriage plans. Now is when you know if your wife loves you as both of you sit down and plan for the way forward on how to turn the 800k into millions. Just start from somewhere, you can do it, remember, a hero lies in you. Shame ecobank, and I assure you, in future you will be glad they sacked you. Meanwhile, while not touching the money, start aggresive job hunting, most times, one gets a better job. Goodluck.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by fayawo: 3:57pm On Feb 18, 2012
Georgee, God will visit you and your family at this critical time, what was your role at the bank? what were you doing at the bank?what skills do you have?

Tighten your belt brother and move on, crying, feeling so down and blaming yourself will make matters worse,

1. Just like everybody said start looking for ways to cut cost like your rent

2. If you have people skills what can you do around wedding ceremonies or parties that Nigerians spend thousands of Naira on every weekend? Do you know how to take pictures ? Do you have any technical knowledge like computer skills? You can start teaching people not necessarily in Lagos.

3.Have you thought about relocating to another part of Nigeria that's less expensive like Ibadan?

4.Use facebook and the internet to your benefit, your old friends, friends of friends, church,

5.You could pick up a skill that's very relevant, cooking

6. What can you and your wife do together?Whats her background?

God will visit you guys in this stormy weather,YOU WILL BOUNCE BACK IN LIFE
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by tellwisdom: 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2012
[size=15pt]Sorries are becoming too much. Na help he need, not sympathy angry angry[/size]
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by occam(m): 4:01pm On Feb 18, 2012
georgee:

Tnx a lot guy 4ur response. As we speak nw,[b]marriage preparations ar at a halt. [/b]Was paid a severance pay of jst ova 800k, wt wil i do wt it afta payin 300k(my house rent)ths feb endin. Mayb u can teach me a viable biz i cn do wt 500k. Am nt soliciting 4 pple 2 contribute money 4me. Al i ask 4 is a sincere help dat cn link me 2 anoda job. I av neva stopd prayin 2 God,  Tnx again 4 ur response

Great move for putting wedding preparation on hold. Next move is to quickly pay your one yr rent, so you have a roof over your head. Don't stay with relatives.

N500k may not be a lot, so if you have asset like a car consider putting that up for sale in next couple of months. Mobility is crucial in Lagos, but having cash flow crunch is worse with a baby on the way.

Now decide if you want to look for a new job or start a small business; don't rush things.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Acidosis(m): 4:06pm On Feb 18, 2012
Now that you stay in a house of 300k, how do you expect someone that stays in a house of 100k help. All these bankers self! Which part of the country are you? if not P/H then I don't see any reason why you give out another 300k.
800k isn't a small money man. . I know some oceanic bank staff that have boutique close to my place. Infact I bought a T-shirt some days ago from one of them. This guy has two in different locations, started small but now the stores worth thousands of naira. .

start something with what you have bros! ! ! !
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by poweredcom(m): 4:07pm On Feb 18, 2012
@poster

Dont loose hope in life, at least no be you only loose job, ok, try get along with normal hustle, Thats Naija for you, men, hustle hustle real hard, bro, #Wordsfromthastreetz
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Sanusilyde(m): 4:09pm On Feb 18, 2012
my man, i tell you living a simple lifestyle is the only way you can survive in this system,maintaining a high standard life can be frustrating.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olam Nigeria Graduate Sales Trainee Scheme 2017 / Nigeria Breweries Ability Test For Trainee Shift Manager Packaging / 1.4m Nigerian Youths To Be Recruited As Traffic Wardens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.