Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,750 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Need An Urgent Link With An Environmental Health Ngo - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Need An Urgent Link With An Environmental Health Ngo (870 Views)

NGO To Empower 154 Commercial Sex Workers In Gombe State (photo) / Need An Urgent Link With An Environmental Health Ngo / Need An Urgent Link With An Environmental Health Ngo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Need An Urgent Link With An Environmental Health Ngo by lana1878(m): 11:56pm On Oct 19, 2007
Let me start by first introducing my self, Odubela Ajibola Is the name a Microbiology Graduate Of University Of Ibadan,

In March 2005, during the course of my routine water treatment and analysis, I observed that the incidence of pathogenic microorganisms at some particular points were on the High side. This prompted me to revisit these locations using various points as it was unusual for these locations to have such high level of microbial activity,
These Locations Includes Agbara, Ogba and Ota, on careful observation it was realized that these areas have something in common which are the Industrial Estates. On further investigations on the Water Samples it was realized that there were proportion of Organic Carbon dissolved in the Underground water aquifer, which had made it possible for Microbial activity to take place in the underground water.

The Incidence of Microorganisms isolated within this location had been confirmed on Fact Finding to Various Hospitals within each of these locations:

At the three locations strains of Coliform Organisms were isolated and 80% of the hospitals have recorded and increase in gastroenteritis, and several water borne related illness

But at Ogba and Ota industrial areas strains of Heamophilius Influenza which is the major causative organism for Infant Meningitis was isolated and 65% of Hospitals within these locations have recorded cases of increase rate of meningitis.

Only God Knows for how long this have been on, as the lives of those living within these areas is not safe as these treats cannot be detected by sight, smell or taste and the Major source of portable water within this locations are Boreholes and Wells.

All these fact findings/ Investigations were concluded November 2006 and detailed reports were sent to Federal Ministry of Environment and Health, Ogun and Lagos State Ministry of Environment. After it had undergone verification by Environmental Scholars and Experts such as Prof. O O Osibanjo HOD Chemistry dept University Of Ibadan, Dr Oba Fagade Associate Prof. Microbiology Dept University Of Ibadan to mention a few.Till now no action or steps had been taken to avert an epidemic outbreak within these locations and also, in checking the activities of Industries within these locations. There are possibilities that some industries discharge their waste byproduct to the underground which is increasing the organic carbon in the underground water, which also drastically increased microbial activity within 5 km radius of these Industrial layouts.

This was what prompted me to search for an NGO that deals with such issues I order to take urgent steps that will safeguard the life and health of the people within these locations

Thank you.
NB: All laboratory work was carried out at Nigerian National Petroleum Laboratory using WHO, and EPA standards.

(1) (Reply)

Treatment For Pile / How Can You Increase Your Body Metabolism / Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.