Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Where Are The Farmers? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Where Are The Farmers? (20081 Views)

Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo / Young Farmers Cooperative Society In Abeokuta / Farmers In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by occam(m): 9:42pm On Feb 23, 2012
adelegan1:

That is what I'm saying out grower which also know as contract farming is the best. because you don't have to go through the stress of planting and harvesting all you have to do is to sponsor farmer and they will bring the rice to you so you can process

sounds interesting. how those this work? pls provide more info
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by TokyoBulls(m): 11:21pm On Feb 23, 2012
Sincerely, I was thinking of farming right after school even though I had First Class degree from Ife and had a couple of offers from 3 multinationals right after school. I had done some findings and was almost sure that was what I could do with the resources I had raised back then. But the turn around came when I came back to my father's (and grand father's) hectares of land and it's been taken over by a company. And they said the company has compensated the village. C'mmon. I was very pissed and had to settle with one of the companies I had offers from. I'm still interested and following the thread is a blessing.

@tkb417. Send me an e-mail on dotun.ogunlade@yahoo.com so that I can understand more details about how to start.

Some guys offered me some land early January around Ibogun in Ogun State. Maybe I will reconsider their proposal.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Nobody: 6:31am On Feb 24, 2012
@tkb417

I'm into livestock production with a vision to set up an integrated farm down the line. I am at a cross road now as I am looking to acquire some expanse of land to expand my operation and will like to sound you off.

i will appreciate an sms or email so i can get across.

I wish u success in your endevour.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by ProfJYK(m): 7:51am On Feb 24, 2012
LEASE VS BUY
the lease versus buy scenario is a little more complicated then this. there r calculations to do where the cost of buying is compared against the cost of leasing putting things like expected life span, depreciation etc. its a little easier when it applies to land as there is no terminal end to life and whatever depreciation there is to it can b cured using the normal one year rest/bush fallowing (I stand to b corrected as there should b technology to prevent this in today's world) but in all, u have to furnish us with the costs of leasing and outright purchase to help u.

leasing will definitely b better if it can b leased for just d 4 months of planting. buying will definitely b between if d total cost can only lease d land for 7yrs or less.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Sagamite(m): 12:30pm On Feb 24, 2012
I think a lot of the environmental factors are in place for this to be a successful business venture. The most important ones are government intent, strong demographics and poor competitors.

The only things I would worry about (off my head) are storage, transportation and farm diseases infrastructure.

That said, any additional cost can be compensated with local knowledge and top-up on price margins.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 1:54pm On Feb 24, 2012
ok guys

ill send the emails this evening.

Sagamite:

I think a lot of the environmental factors are in place for this to be a successful business venture. The most important ones are government intent, strong demographics and poor competitors.

The only things I would worry about (off my head) are storage, transportation and farm diseases infrastructure.

That said, any additional cost can be compensated with local knowledge and top-up on price margins.
Does everything with you and Debo have to be in big big English? grin

Points noted

Holla when ure free so we can talk better
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
Prof JYK:

LEASE VS BUY
the lease versus buy scenario is a little more complicated then this. there r calculations to do where the cost of buying is compared against the cost of leasing putting things like expected life span, depreciation etc. its a little easier when it applies to land as there is no terminal end to life and whatever depreciation there is to it can b cured using the normal one year rest/bush fallowing (I stand to b corrected as there should b technology to prevent this in today's world) but in all, u have to furnish us with the costs of leasing and outright purchase to help u.

leasing will definitely b better if it can b leased for just d 4 months of planting. buying will definitely b between if d total cost can only lease d land for 7yrs or less.
hmmm, *thinking*

ill get back on that
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Sagamite(m): 2:04pm On Feb 24, 2012
tkb417:

ok guys

ill send the emails this evening.
Does everything with you and Debo have to be in big big English? grin

Points noted

Holla when ure free so we can talk better

Haba!

What is convoluted about the tagmemics and lexicons I employed in my asseveration?
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by AjanleKoko: 2:47pm On Feb 24, 2012
This thread reads like a remix of Peterside Ottong's Where Are The Prophets grin
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by feelamong(m): 2:51pm On Feb 24, 2012
AjanleKoko:

This thread reads like a remix of[b] Peterside Ottong's [/b] Where Are The Prophets grin

Chai!!! You be old man o!!! cheesy You remember that track?? Most of these Ipad generation people on NL no go sabi am!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2012
feelamong:

Chai!!! You be old man o!!! cheesy You remember that track?? Most of these Ipad generation people on NL no go sabi am!! grin
what is Ipad generation? who are those?

i don clock 30 oh and i dont know the song

Sagamite:

Haba!

What is convoluted about the tagmemics and lexicons I employed in my asseveration?
pls, take your oyinbo to romance section where its needed grin

send me email about the other stuff na.

i go dey that side soon sha so we fit do one on one
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2012
@Fhemmy

you have mail sir
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by ProfJYK(m): 2:30pm On Mar 01, 2012
Where are the Farmers?
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by ProfJYK(m): 2:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
Following the visit to China by top government official under the leadership of the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, recently, the Federal government has sealed a deal to set up 100 rice mills across the country.
The Minister of Agriculture, Akinwumi Adeshina, who was part of the delegation made the announcement Wednesday in Abuja after the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) in the state house. Read more: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/national/4008-collaborate-with-china-set-100-rice-mills.html
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by AjanleKoko: 10:27am On Mar 02, 2012
Prof JYK:

Following the visit to China by top government official under the leadership of the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, recently, the Federal government has sealed a deal to set up 100 rice mills across the country.
The Minister of Agriculture, Akinwumi Adeshina, who was part of the delegation made the announcement Wednesday in Abuja after the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) in the state house. Read more: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/national/4008-collaborate-with-china-set-100-rice-mills.html

I really hope this government actually does these things. They talk so much and raise people's hopes. That's how someone will raise capital and take position, and they will just ponzi the whole arrangement. It's happened too many times, in too many sectors, since 2010 when Jonathan became president.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by oderemo(m): 10:46am On Mar 02, 2012
@ ajanlekoko, thanks for that observation, same thing is happening in ogun state now, where the amosun goverment is loudly boasting in the media to have distributed millions of world bank loans to intending farmers.
i can categorically say that zill/nada has been done, lots of these farmers are eagerly waiting for nothing.meeting upon meeting have not yield any result.
must ppl suffer this much before they get what is rightfully theirs.
the govt. should at least release this loan just to compensate for the brutal murder of JAYE, a gentleman that left the u.s.a after so many yrs to set up his piggery farm @ isara, remo north, who worked tirelessly for this loan.before he was untimely brought down.by hired killer.
we await the ogun state govt. next move.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by F00028: 10:03pm On Mar 14, 2012
The secrets to back yard poultry you must know first. visit us: http://henhousefarms./2012/03/14/the-secrets-of-backyard-poultry-money-from-your-backyard/
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Wallie(m): 3:43pm On Mar 22, 2012
Educative thread and good luck in executing your endeavor!

Someone spoke of food processing and no one responded to it. I actually think that most of Nigeria’s food problems has to do with food preservation. There are two main issues that I see, namely:

1. Transportation – getting the food to where it’s needed in the main cities or states where people will pay top Naira; and
2. Preservation – preserving the food long enough to reach its destination and even remain available past its naturally occurring season.

I think that we need more people like you, the educated and exposed, to go into food preservation because it requires technical knowledge unobtainable by most farmers. Also, real money is never made in raw materials in any industry but in the finished product. I would think that our advantage over our father’s generation is the availability of technology that makes us more efficient.

In the US, you can pretty much get any fruit or food you want at anytime during the year by simply walking into a store. Can you imagine being able to get agbalumo, cherry mango or any of the other seasonal fruit any time of the year? Or even being able to prolong the lifespan of a fresh produce?

The only problem is that it takes research to be able to preserve food while keep bacterias at bay and still maintaining the original taste. This is where someone like you can employ your background to engage the right type of people to develop a solution, even if for only one fruit like mango.

Regardless of your decision, good luck! I’m still trying to develop a big enough kohuna to walk away just like you did!

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by DisGuy: 12:17pm On Mar 28, 2012
^^ but who will pay for the preservation aspect? the farmer or the consumers

Will the consumers pay extra to get plantain when its off season or wil they prefer to just wait when it will be all over the market?
and if they will are there enough consumers that will make the venture profitable
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by AjanleKoko: 12:38pm On Mar 28, 2012
Dis Guy: ^^ but who will pay for the preservation aspect? the farmer or the consumers

Will the consumers pay extra to get plantain when its off season or wil they prefer to just wait when it will be all over the market?
and if they will are there enough consumers that will make the venture profitable

The retail chains will buy into it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the links of Chi, Spar and Shoprite are already investing in this area. They are major stakeholders in fresh farm produce.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by legalwealth(m): 12:48pm On Mar 28, 2012
We are all farmers and we need to be practising farming.

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by legalwealth(m): 1:20pm On Mar 28, 2012
wahabolax: Discover How I am making $250 Online within a 5 Days from simple online Business without selling or Buying any Goods or Services! So now I am ready to show you The new strategy that i using and make me successful online... i will show you the method that i using without hiding anything for you...it is 100% FREE!

Show us the secret now.

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by i1: 4:41pm On Mar 28, 2012
Can somebody please tell these infomarketers †☺ get off this thread? If You wan sell your product open ɑ̤̈̊ new thread naa.
At post... What Ȋ̝̊̅§ Τ̲̅ђe conclusion?

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Wallie(m): 2:05pm On Mar 29, 2012
Dis Guy: ^^ but who will pay for the preservation aspect? the farmer or the consumers

People will pay for the convenience of having the fruit readily available! if the option is having to eat no plantain or paying a little extra for it, most people that want it bad enough will pay extra for it.

People will also pay for convenience, especially those in the city. It follows the same exact reasoning why one would buy cooked food from a street vendor rather than buying the ingredients and cooking it yourself.

Why do people buy powdered pounded yam in a bag instead of pounding their own yam?
Why do people buy tomato paste in a can instead of making their own?

If I were a farmer, I would want to sell my produce off season when supply will be lower if I can guarantee that the produce can be preserved until then because the same produce will fetch me more money! Supply vs. demand.

There's no doubt that the venture will be profitable if the preserved food is "good enough." You will be more profitable than a farmer because you will sell the end product >10 times what you paid the farmer who did all the manual labor!

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by feelamong(m): 5:25pm On May 18, 2012
hei...where all of una dey?? una don enter farm no gree come out
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by lbrichman: 9:29pm On May 19, 2012
Want to increase ur yield and grow stronger and more disease resistant crops? Try our organic fertilizer from Dynapharm Malaysia. It works! Call Luther on 08081347351.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by AjanleKoko: 7:32am On May 21, 2012
Wallie:

People will pay for the convenience of having the fruit readily available! if the option is having to eat no plantain or paying a little extra for it, most people that want it bad enough will pay extra for it.

People will also pay for convenience, especially those in the city. It follows the same exact reasoning why one would buy cooked food from a street vendor rather than buying the ingredients and cooking it yourself.

Why do people buy powdered pounded yam in a bag instead of pounding their own yam?
Why do people buy tomato paste in a can instead of making their own?

If I were a farmer, I would want to sell my produce off season when supply will be lower if I can guarantee that the produce can be preserved until then because the same produce will fetch me more money! Supply vs. demand.

There's no doubt that the venture will be profitable if the preserved food is "good enough." You will be more profitable than a farmer because you will sell the end product >10 times what you paid the farmer who did all the manual labor!

Makes very good sense.
An example is Ola-Ola yam flour, made in California, but sold everywhere Nigerians are, including in Nigeria.
There are some local brands of yam flour, but none is as good. If I had the money to hire the know-how, I'd go into food processing and biotech, in Nigeria.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by ogbongenet: 3:29pm On May 21, 2012
Quail Farming,quick Cash:

Quail farming is an uncommon farming business in Nigeria, but the few people that have embraced it are not only smiling to banks, they are also enjoying both the nutritional and health values derived from consuming it
Considering the large number of poultry farmers in Kaduna that have embraced quail farming, it is no doubt one booming farming business that is gradually taking over chicken poultry business in most parts of the north. The high rate of returns and low cost of investment as well rearing them are some of the reasons many farmers are fast resorting to quail farming. In Zaria alone, there are more than 50 farms where quail are reared and sold. The fact that the birds grow and reach maturity stage faster and lay eggs within two months, compared with the six-month maturity period of chickens for whether egg-laying or consumption, attract them to farmers who see the business as a better and more sustainable investment to explore.
From market surveys both in Zaria and Kaduna, a female quail bird sells for N500 while the male goes for between N250 and N300. Its speckled eggs go for between N20 and N25. The bird’s high nutritional and market value encourage many chicken poultry farmers to abandon the business for quail farming. The NEWS gathered that these financial and health benefits, especially the high and quick returns on investment, largely explained farmers’ rush into the business in Jos where it first started, and in Kano, Kaduna and other states in the north where it is booming now. But it is very difficult for people in the southwest who wish to go into quail farming due to the problem of getting quail chicks for starting. Good news the problem has now been solved because you can easily get it now in Ibadan. I started the business just three months ago but glory be to God I earn nothing less than 2000 Naira every day.
BENEFIT OF QUAIL FARMING
It is very easy to maintain
It is not capital intensive compare to poultry farming
High return in a very short time (quail start laying at 45 day old)
It require small space
Quail egg are now recommended in the hospital which makes a good business
Here are some additional benefits you might get from eating quail eggs.:
* acquire a strong immunity system and improve metabolism.
* contain important quantity of calcium easy to assimilate.
* help healing gastritis, ulcer.
* increase hemoglobin level, remove heavy metals, toxins from blood.
* help in the treatment of tuberculosis, asthma,.
* diabetes
* contain ovomucoid protein, used in the production of anti allergic drugs.
* help inhibit cancerous growth.
* help eliminate and remove stones from liver, kidneys and bladder.
* stimulate intellectual activity.
* may accelerate recuperation after blood stroke and help strengthen heart muscle.
* are a powerful stimulant of intimate potency. They nourish the prostrate gland with useful substances, phosphorus, proteins and vitamins and therefore help restore intimate potency.
FOR FURTHER INFO TYPE QUAIL FARMING OR BENEFIT OF QUAIL EGG ON GOOGLE.
TO START QUAIL FARMING CONTACT ME ON 08060115253 OR profindeed@yahoo.com.OR ON FACEBOOK:SENIOR AGRICULTURIST OF NIGERIA
Meet you at the top

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tonypark2008: 1:56am On May 22, 2012
I think the famers in Nigeria need the new technology and advanced tools to implenment the facility, for example,you can use our seaweed fertiliers to improve the crop yield and the soil condition. please call me for the details....
+86-18611101097

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Naira Falls As Dollar Scarcity Worsens / Have You Been Able To Spend The Old Naira Notes In Your Area? / Great Lessons About Money That Would Help Your Finances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.