Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif (5563 Views)

Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill / PDP Supporters In Rivers On Peaceful Rally (Photos) / 2nd Niger Bridge: Oshiomhole Must Apologise To Nigerians, Say CSOs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by mukina2: 5:02pm On Feb 17, 2012
Nigeria Newsdesk @NigeriaNewsdesk
Abuja Civil Society Organisations, on Friday, staged a peaceful rally at the PHCN HQ to protest the proposed increase in electricity tariff by 88 per cent.
https://twitter.com/NigeriaNewsdesk/status/170533758720688128

Abuja Civil Society Groups and other stakeholders on Friday staged a peaceful rally at the National Headquarters of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) to protest the proposed increase in electricity tariff by 88 per cent.
The CSOs comprised the Anti-Corruption League, Save Nigeria Group, Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP), Occupy Nigeria and a host of others.
The Convener of the group, Hon. Dino Melaye said the move to increase electricity tariff by the Minister of Power, Prof Barth Nnaji and the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) would further inflict hardship on the citizens.
Melaye questioned the rationale behind the proposed action "since there is no stable power supply in the country."
The inscriptions on some of the placards carried by the protesters read: “Say No to NERC exponential rise in cost; "We will not relocate to Chad and Ghana because of GEJ", “Power F9, Electricity F9, Good Governance F9, Energy F9, Corruption A1”, We no get light but you dey increase money” and "New Expensive Redundant Commission (NERC)", among others.
Melaye described the 88 per cent planned increase in electricity tariff as “unreasonable, senseless, unacceptable, and wicked.”
"Government has spent over $16billion on power, yet it is epileptic and erratic. The President and indeed the minister of power promised 6,000 megawatts of electricity by December 2011. But two days ago, they changed it to December 2012.
"This same government had recently increased pump price of petrol by 116 per cent in the name of subsidy removal that was clouded in falsification of data, figures and enmeshed in absolute corruption as revealed in the House of Representatives probe of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation," he stated.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/37102-civil-society-groups-reject-increase-in-electricity-tariff.html
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by GWslim(f): 5:23pm On Feb 17, 2012
what is the full meaning of CSO?
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by DisGuy: 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2012
this new trend of starting a topic based on one line of twitter, me i dont get o!
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by badesco(m): 5:35pm On Feb 17, 2012
Your post and the link make no sense at all.
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 17, 2012
GWslim:

Chief security officers grin
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by Digriz(m): 6:03pm On Feb 17, 2012
GWslim:

Customer Service Officer
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by executinal(m): 6:04pm On Feb 17, 2012
Dis Guy:

this new trend of starting a topic based on one line of twitter, me i dont get o!

PDP pwawer to the fufil grin grin grin
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by likethat(m): 7:16pm On Feb 17, 2012
gej is a confused man
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by agabaI23(m): 7:21pm On Feb 17, 2012
Civil Society organizations
No mind them mind games.
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by Nobody: 7:46pm On Feb 17, 2012
Majority of us tweet, So if u don't have much more details about d info, den don't post it, cos we'v already seen it.

Whatever happend to making urs much more spiced? At least with sumfin xtra,
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by Basics007: 8:39pm On Feb 17, 2012
We aint enjoying the damn electricity yet the are taxing the hell out of us. Fueling generator is too expensive because of subsidy. What exactly do they want common man to do fgs?
Like Wacko Jacko will say,'all i wanna say is that they dont really care about us'
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by Harbb: 11:11pm On Feb 17, 2012
We hope their protest wil have any effects
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by Beaf: 11:16pm On Feb 17, 2012
What is the difference between a tweeter one-liner and the gossip we can get from Iya Basira?
When did tweets become so authoritative that they demand discussion in a politics section?
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by sholatech(m): 1:00am On Feb 18, 2012
I thot PHCN finally off Government and now on its own.
They have several hidden charges and now hiking tariff!
I usually buy bulk and when its time for renewal, you hear STORIES. For instance, I paid 20k pre-paid credit which after some months was exhausted last week. I took another bulk payment there and was told that I WAS OWING VAT??as an accountant, I couldn't understand. Each time I pay, the receipt shows VAT on the amount paid that is deducted from credit/units. And they also charge 'meter maintance fees',
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by Kobojunkie: 1:12am On Feb 18, 2012
^^^ PHCN no longer exists as a company. However, in it's place we have 18 new companies, all still under Government.
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by mukina2: 1:32am On Feb 18, 2012
Dis Guy:

Beaf:

What is the difference between a tweeter one-liner and the gossip we can get from Iya Basira?
When did tweets become so authoritative that they demand discussion in a politics section?

most of the stories posted from twitter  are posted by verified people/newsagent, the same story get published in the dailies . .

that story yesterday  . .

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/37102-civil-society-groups-reject-increase-in-electricity-tariff.html

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/16646/2012/02/17/csos_reject_88_increase_electricity_tariff.html
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by ceejay80s(m): 5:11am On Feb 18, 2012
I dey plan to bomb nepa offices soon ,afterall we no dey get light b4.
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by ugosly(m): 7:43am On Feb 18, 2012
Increased fuel price,re-introduction of toll gates,parking charge(Abuja),increased school fees(Lagos and others) and now increase in electricity tarrif,yet no salary increase,and you expect the people to shun corruption and not steal.How do these guys want the 'ordinary Nigerians'(as they refer to us) to cope.
This is just a plainly unfair treatment to the people who entrusted their hope of a better life with GEJ.
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by member479760: 12:36am On Feb 19, 2012
Electricity!!!
Re: Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif by bakila: 10:43am On Feb 19, 2012
ugosly:

Increased fuel price,re-introduction of toll gates,parking charge(Abuja),increased school fees(Lagos and others) and now increase in electricity tarrif,yet no salary increase,and you expect the people to shun corruption and not steal.How do these guys want the 'ordinary Nigerians'(as they refer to us) to cope.
This is just a plainly unfair treatment to the people who entrusted their hope of a better life with GEJ.
+ increase in cost of Foodstuff. Come to think of it, all in less than a year, from a goverment that promised fresh air by a man who had no shoes and is supposed to know the suffering of the masses.

(1) (Reply)

Nnmadi Kalu And The Common Man. (photo 18+) / What Is The Use Of COREN And NSE / The North Will Be The Battle Ground - MEND, OPC, IPOB, Avengers Reply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.