Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note (16155 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / On Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo / Why Is There Arabic Inscription On Our Naira Note?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by gonzaga: 3:47am On Feb 20, 2012
Hello house, pls can anyone assist with the full meaning of the arabic inscription on the Naira note? I little cousine of mine asked me yesterday and for once, I just remembered that I never tot about it.

This is very urgent as this boy has a way of calling people that dont have answers to his questions OLODO! I also need the information to knw what and why the inscription is on our note.

Thanks.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by hercules07: 7:01am On Feb 20, 2012
Google is your friend.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by hakanai(m): 11:03am On Feb 20, 2012
In response to your questions.It represents the names for the various denominations in Hausa but using Arabic script. eg 100 naira is written as nayra dari,500 naira is written as nayra dari biyar etc

1 Like

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Afam4eva(m): 11:11am On Feb 20, 2012
Why should there be Arabic inscription on the Naira in the first place? Are we Arabic?
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Goldmind1(m): 12:09pm On Feb 20, 2012
Hausa fulani has really enslaved the whole country since independence.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by maclatunji: 12:22pm On Feb 20, 2012
Gold-mind:

Hausa fulani has really enslaved the whole country since independence.

You are so full of wisdom aren't you? Even if you inherited stereotypes and prejudices from your forebears can you not break the chain and think for yourself?

Read your post again and see if it makes any sense.

1 Like

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by hercules07: 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2012
@afam

Why should there be Anglicized writing on our notes, abi you be English?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Afam4eva(m): 12:49pm On Feb 20, 2012
We were colonized by the british that's why. Now tell me why we have Arabic inscriptiom on our notes.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by franktolk(m): 1:24pm On Feb 20, 2012
afam4eva:

We were colonized by the british that's why. Now tell me why we have Arabic inscriptiom on our notes.

I dont like it when I hear we Nigerians saying 'we were colonized by Britain'. Do you know that an average British man on the road does not even know that the British government once occupied and exploited the land called Nigerian, many of them do not even know we speak English in Nigeria.
A food for thought ,

1 Like

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by maclatunji: 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2012
hercules07:

@afam

Why should there be Anglicized writing on our notes, abi you be English?

afam4eva:

Simple, the Arabic script was already assimilated in the officialdom of Northern Nigeria which the British "Colonial Masters" recognised with their policy of indirect rule. Note that the script on the Naira is Arabic but it is actually Hausa language (not Arabic language). The North never took to the British way of life like the West and East did. The British understood and respected this and always made concessions to accommodate their position.

Note that states in the North saw themselves as independent people whilst Yorubas were signing their sovereignty away (albeit under duress) and the people of the middle belt and south east got lumped together with the use of appointed chiefs by the British they were called Warrant Chiefs weren't they?

2 Likes

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Lasinoh: 2:53pm On Feb 20, 2012
What has that got to do with the price of ashswo in Italy? kiss
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Crayola1: 3:17pm On Feb 20, 2012
maclatunji:

Simple, the Arabic script was already assimilated in the officialdom of Northern Nigeria which the British "Colonial Masters" recognised with their policy of indirect rule. Note that the script on the Naira is Arabic but it is actually Hausa language (not Arabic language). The North never took to the British way of life like the West and East did. The British understood and respected this and always made concessions to accommodate their position.

Note that states in the North saw themselves as independent people whilst Yorubas were signing their sovereignty away (albeit under duress) and the people of the middle belt and south east got lumped together with the use of appointed chiefs by the British they were called Warrant Chiefs weren't they?

The British didn't respect it, they made it work their favor, the Sultan and Emirs were happy to stay in power and the British had no problem as long as they submitted and deferred to British rule at the end of the day, which they did. And actually many of the Northern elite did want and received Western education, it was the average people that Western education never trickled down to, which is why the British Administration relied heavily on the South for people to work in the clerical jobs in the North.

The writing is a hybrid of Arabic called Ajami, which was developed in the Sahel and eventually brought to Northern Nigeria. Africans in the Sahel found that Arabic could not accommodate their languages so Ajami was devised so that sounds in the Hausa language, for example, could be better expressed. The British did it to further their ties with the Northern elite as a "see you do matter" thing.

The Yoruba, or just say South West was largely ruled under the same system as the North, the indirect rule system, instead of Sultans and Emirs there were Obas and other chiefs. And as in the North as long as those chiefs abide by the British they kept their "power", cross the British and a more favorable person was found to fill the position.

This was the general policy for areas that had authority centered with one person, Chief/King/Oba/etc.

The only region that this policy differed was in areas termed as stateless-societies, areas where there was not central figure in power. In the Eastern part of the country authority was not held with one person and instead decisions would by made by committee elders/men/etc, in a form of direct democracy. This made conquering the region and instilling British rule much harder because every area was autonomous from the next one. So unlike the North where after the capitulation of the Sultan, the emirs would fall in line or the Oba was controlled and nobles under him would fall in line this was not the case in the East. They would fight village/town by village/town until they had fought enough to get the rest to fall in line. Without a designated leader, the British created one, which were known as the Warrant chiefs. They were people who were seen as favorable to the British cause, and were rewarded for their loyalty. However in the societies the resided in, their titles had no meaning in the traditional societies of the people. In addition to that many of the "chiefs" tended to be corrupt and extort higher taxation fees from the people which furthered the people's resentment towards them.

And etc etc etc.

5 Likes

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by DRANOEL(m): 3:34pm On Feb 20, 2012
why is sunday a work free day and not friday?
why do we have the "wazobia" tribes on the 50naira note and not the other tribes?
why do our soldiers shave their chin in line with western culture instead of aloowing beards like islamic countries?
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by hercules07: 3:36pm On Feb 20, 2012
@Afam

When you write your language or even yoruba, you use anglicized words because Ajayi Crowther was educated in English, the hausas write their own language using arabic scripts, must everybody copy the english.

1 Like

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by ektbear: 3:40pm On Feb 20, 2012
It is just Arabic script.

English uses the Latin script.

French uses the Latin script.

Hausa, they used Arabic script for their writing system before the English came.

Now I guess they use Latin script too for their language.

Can an Arab even understand their written language? Probably not. . .it would be gibberish to the arab

1 Like

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by AJpikin: 3:44pm On Feb 20, 2012
Guys seriously grow up. A simple question was asked, if you understand arabic well enough to provide an answer pls go ahead if not please ignore the post. Better still I don`t know would be a quick one, if you can`t answer the question.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by hercules07: 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2012
@ekt

Exactly, we should not be splitting hairs over stuff like this, we all read and write our local languages in somebody else's script.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by dmxqo(m): 3:51pm On Feb 20, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
DRANOEL:

why is sunday a work free day and not friday?
is d sunday work-free-day blue-law nt applicable in The Arabic nation?
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by ektbear: 3:52pm On Feb 20, 2012
choosing friday as a work-free day would be a bit stupid, since it puts you at a competitive disadvantage (the rest of the world works on friday). . .
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Nigerd(m): 3:55pm On Feb 20, 2012
Pleases Why all this Tribal, supre-identity?

Lets Just work out How the Likes of Boko Haram will be Cleared out of our territory
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by maclatunji: 4:09pm On Feb 20, 2012
dmxqo:

[color=#006600][/color] is d sunday work-free-day blue-law nt applicable in The Arabic nation?

Friendly Advice:

1. Improve your English

2. Find-out about work-free days in Arab countries.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by stepo707: 4:13pm On Feb 20, 2012
Those that can read arabic should help us interpret so we learn.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by PeeDaVinci: 4:14pm On Feb 20, 2012
tot obj/soludo removed the inscription, wen was this reversed
asking this coz itz bin a long while when i last saw the naira
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by DRANOEL(m): 4:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
maclatunji:

Friendly Advice:

1. Improve your English

2. Find-out about work-free days in Arab countries.

why i didn't reply him
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Binkalette: 4:24pm On Feb 20, 2012
Note that the script on the Naira is Arabic but it is actually Hausa language (not Arabic language). The North never took to the British way of life like the West and East did. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by harryakon: 4:25pm On Feb 20, 2012
It doesn't really matter if there is Arabic there is there? I can sense an underlying unrest on all things arabic and i don't think that should be the case. There's arabic there, so its ok now.If you only want the meaning of the lines thats cool but I think there shouldn't be that much of a problem with the text
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Okijajuju1(m): 4:26pm On Feb 20, 2012
@ O.P

The Arabic inscriptions simply means whatever denomination that note represents. That is, if you see the inscription on a fifty-kobo note, it simply means fifty kobo.

Now tell your child that first and foremost, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 are "ARABIC NUMERALS" so the arabic inscription is just a representation of Arabic numerals in araic writing.

1 Like

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by GWslim(f): 4:29pm On Feb 20, 2012
You will need to forward your question to CBN Governor.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by saydfact(m): 4:29pm On Feb 20, 2012
BEFORE YOU ALL KILL YOURSELF,  [size=28pt]THE ARABIC WORD MEANS AND IS PRONOUNCED "NAIRA". . . . . . . , [/size]

lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by maclatunji: 4:33pm On Feb 20, 2012
harryakon:

It doesn't really matter if there is Arabic there is there? [b]I can sense an underlying unrest on all things arabic and i don't think that should be the case. [/b]There's arabic there, so its ok now.If you only want the meaning of the lines thats cool but I think there shouldn't be that much of a problem with the text

My brother ehn , some of these simpletons (sorry I couldn't find a kinder word) have been so programmed that if you gave them the Bible in Arabic, they would run away from it. To make matters worse, they actually feel they are enlightened and refined- see irony.

2 Likes

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 20, 2012
PeeDaVinci:

tot obj/soludo removed the inscription, wen was this reversed
asking this coz itz bin a long while when i last saw the naira

We have so many poor people around here who have the time to check what is written on a currency.I spend money,i dont look at it.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Obiagu1(m): 4:38pm On Feb 20, 2012
The Arabic inscription means: Nigeria is Hausaland.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prophet T.B. Joshua Have Done It Again INSTANT MIRACLE Must See / Oshiomhole: APC Fixes Emergency NEC Meeting For March 17 / Obaseki Begs Edo Residents To Accept Old N500 And N1000 Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.