Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note (16154 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / On Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo / Why Is There Arabic Inscription On Our Naira Note?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by aribisala0(m): 4:39pm On Feb 20, 2012
Arabic inscriptions were introduced on our notes by the British long before independence.

The numerals 0123456789 are also Arabic too!
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by real4life: 4:42pm On Feb 20, 2012
I thought the Arabic (Hausa) inscriptions have been removed? 
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by okemmadu(m): 4:43pm On Feb 20, 2012
Somebody said NAIRA means Never Allow Igbo Rule Again. Is that the conspiracy?
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 20, 2012
aribisala0:

Arabic inscriptions were introduced on our notes by the British long before independence.

The numerals 0123456789 are also Arabic too!

How many of the school dropouts here know this ? Smh
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by DuduNegro: 4:45pm On Feb 20, 2012
Mac, Crayola, ekt_ and Dranoel,  

. . . you guys brought new points on which to have a further debate and introspection.   I believe the OP's question has been satisfactorily answered.  However, with the new revelations we should examine why each region cannot now promote its own as the official language at regional level of government.  

The Northerners are already slowly moving back to making that happen.  In Kano and some other states up there Ajami shares space with Latin roadsigns. Their assembly is officiated in Hausa.  It wont be long before they demand that all people in their region must speak Hausa.

Part of the power in leadership is to have foresight and imagination to contemplate the future.  The Hausas have continously led the country because of their continous ability to redefine "independent".  The North is independent of British, but the South has failed to liberate itself from British rule.  A slave cannot own slave. . . only free people own slaves.  Our self-tethering and self-enslavement to British will never put the South in position where it can own and dictate matter for the North like they do to us in South.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Yeske2(m): 4:46pm On Feb 20, 2012
Does it matter if it's written in Mandarin Chinese or Hindi, who cares?
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by logica(m): 5:04pm On Feb 20, 2012
PeeDaVinci:

tot obj/soludo removed the inscription, wen was this reversed
asking this coz itz bin a long while when i last saw the naira
Lol. I thought so too. So Sanusi bin Laden must've put them back. By the way why are some people bringing the British into the matter? The Naira was created as a currency about a decade after independence, remember?
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by tit(f): 5:10pm On Feb 20, 2012
The numerals 1, 2, 3,, are actually Hindi.
they were adopted by the arabs as kingdoms rose and fell,
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by aribisala0(m): 5:12pm On Feb 20, 2012
The British are being brought in because that is when and how it started and no one has decided to remove it until soludo.

If you go bak and look at all previous notes Pounds etc and after independence it was always so

I think the 1000 naira and maybe 500 were not changed under Soludo
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 20, 2012
logica:

Lol. I thought so too. So Sanusi bin Laden must've put them back. By the way why are some people bringing the British into the matter? The Naira was created as a currency about a decade after independence, remember?

Stop being hypocritic.Only smaller denominations of naira were changed to polymer then.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by aribisala0(m): 5:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
Well if you want to argue about the numerals as Hindi you will have to argue the script is Hindi.
The Arabs adopted script and numerals from Hindi and modified both.
It is the modified numerals that we now use
Truth is the numerals were adopted into the Roman system from Arabs
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by logica(m): 5:18pm On Feb 20, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Stop being hypocritic.Only smaller denominations of naira were changed to polymer then.
'scuse me? Where I sabi you from?

Aribisala, the fact that the British did it that way does not mean we had to continue that way. Their style should not necessarily determine ours. So by the time we had our own currency designed by us, you might as well disregard the previous currency give to us by our overlords.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 20, 2012
Pass
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by lepasharon(f): 5:47pm On Feb 20, 2012
shocked
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by aribisala0(m): 5:53pm On Feb 20, 2012
logica:

'scuse me? Where I sabi you from?

Aribisala, the fact that the British did it that way does not mean we had to continue that way. Their style should not necessarily determine ours. So by the time we had our own currency designed by us, you might as well disregard the previous currency give to us by our overlords.
I did not say that! Or did I.

I supplied factual information without expressing an opinion
It is just a fact that humans continue most inherited practices until a need for change arises.

Why do we bury our dead and not cremate them e.g.

Change does not happen by magic.
The fact is it was done for a reason and if those around today wish to change so be it.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by kunletech: 6:48pm On Feb 20, 2012
Trying to convice others country to believe that nigeria is an islamic country.
If u hv nt bin in 9ja b4, if u si d arabic on d note, only dat wil get u to belive dat 9ja is an islamic country.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by DuduNegro: 6:59pm On Feb 20, 2012

. . . we can say that about a lot of other aspects of our culture - language, religion, system of ruling. . .and so on. When we successfully do that then we are indeed truly "independent"!
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by gidiMonsta(m): 7:22pm On Feb 20, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

. . . you guys brought new points on which to have a further debate and introspection.   I believe the OP's question has been satisfactorily answered.  However, with the new revelations we should examine why each region cannot now promote its own as the official language at regional level of government.  

The Northerners are already slowly moving back to making that happen.  In Kano and some other states up there Ajami shares space with Latin roadsigns. Their assembly is officiated in Hausa.  It wont be long before they demand that all people in their region must speak Hausa.

Part of the power in leadership is to have foresight and imagination to contemplate the future.  The Hausas have continously led the country because of their continous ability to redefine "independent".  The North is independent of British, but the South has failed to liberate itself from British rule.  A slave cannot own slave. . . only free people own slaves.  Our self-tethering and self-enslavement to British will never put the South in position where it can own and dictate matter for the North like they do to us in South.

Thank you so much for this.

South Africa has 11 official languages, because that is a country that is gradually building an identity for itself.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by eghost247(m): 7:30pm On Feb 20, 2012
very nice thread never bothered to figure out with means my self
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by drnoel: 8:12pm On Feb 20, 2012
I thought Soludo removed those arabic words when he changed the Naira during his tenure
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by abt(m): 8:15pm On Feb 20, 2012
I though The Arabic Inscriptions have since been removed on the New Naira Notes.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Crayola1: 8:23pm On Feb 20, 2012
@ Dudu_Ntns

I don't know if its a sign of independence per se, because much of this occurred under and was facilitated by the British under indirect rule. The Sultan held control over vast swaths of the North which spoke Hausa, so it made sense to leave it as is. The south didn't have a unifying language so the British inserted their own language.Lugard actually perfected his policy of indirect rule in the North, which he then applied to the West, East, and etc as well as places like Sudan and India.

Dudu_Negro:

Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by moshoodn(m): 8:30pm On Feb 20, 2012
aribisala0:

Well if you want to argue about the numerals as Hindi you will have to argue the script is Hindi.
The Arabs adopted script and numerals from Hindi and modified both.
It is the modified numerals that we now use
Truth is the numerals were adopted into the Roman system from Arabs
thanks.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Nobody: 9:23pm On Feb 20, 2012
no fighting, get down to the point
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by aribisala0(m): 9:24pm On Feb 20, 2012
whether you use 101000001000000111 0r you use a barcode or chinese characters or  roman characters or hieroglyphics if it is Hausa it is Hausa.

So people are attacking the inscription using the wrong argument.

I do not agree with the inscription anyway but so far I have not seen any coherent or convincing arguments here just visceral dislike dressed up as logic
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 20, 2012
We shld av d arabic inscription off
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by dustydee: 9:40pm On Feb 20, 2012
How does the inscription affect the value of the currency?
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by musawisdom(m): 9:46pm On Feb 20, 2012
Someone has said it all. If some are offered bible in arabic language, they wil criticize it. Fogetten dt arabic is just like dr eng alphabets
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by Ayoobscom(m): 9:50pm On Feb 20, 2012
They have sunday work-free day we go to work on friday-begged 4 permissions to attend mosque, yet their not satisfied still here asking melancholic question, their selfishness bore even their housedogs
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by SailorXY: 11:05pm On Feb 20, 2012
Naija is far from being islamic kiss
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by bakila: 11:14pm On Feb 20, 2012
A muslim northern lady voices her frustration in a long narrative. Then we move from the north to inscription on the naira in arabic, to the success of an igbo man in removing ajami inscription on the naira. to show that an Igbo man hate islam?
Anyone who does not want to use naira note that says naira dubu should just go as far as severing the words from the note. Let him juse put ave maria there.
Zainab kar ki damu.
Re: The Arabic Inscription On The Naira Note by bakila: 11:19pm On Feb 20, 2012
SailorXY:

Naija is far from being islamic kiss
Oh, that is all what you want? Free from "ISLAMIC" what?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Oga At The Top / Prophet T.B. Joshua Have Done It Again INSTANT MIRACLE Must See / Oshiomhole: APC Fixes Emergency NEC Meeting For March 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.