Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,715 members, 7,805,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? (7690 Views)

Does It Really Matter How A Man Proposes? (Snapshot) / Does Height Really Matter In A Relationship? / Does Looks Matter In A Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by mcnepow(m): 11:58am On Feb 21, 2012
^Helep me axe them
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by abohrandy: 11:59am On Feb 21, 2012
mcnepow:

!. Wetin no concern our family and marriage?? Oya go marry without telling your people and also asking her people to accept you.
2. If you be pentecostal, for instance, go marry J.W. You people don't believe in the same doctrines, how would it work. Don't tell me it doesn't matter cos it does.

if i see pesin weh i want marry and my family say no, make i drop her and find anoda pesin? make dey go smoke weed. dis is the problem i have wif dis country. there are sum kind of things that they attach too much importance to which is not just right.

like i said, if ma wife to b no want marry me coz of ma church (dont know if i have one sef, but i know there is a God and i pray to him), fine she will find her way. but not my family!!!! make dem wait where dem dey. well if its her family that is against our marriage, i will let her go. dont misquote me, i respect ma family but when it comes to certain issues they have their spot.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by bizgirl(f): 12:11pm On Feb 21, 2012
yes! denomination matters, i as a person cant marry from Deeperlife, catholic and Jehoval witnesses.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Killz3(m): 12:15pm On Feb 21, 2012
It's not about marrying someone of a different denomination out of love. . . It's about staying in that love when it is tested by palavers brought about by family + denomination!
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by AZeD1(m): 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2012
bizgirl:

yes! denomination matters, i as a person cant marry from Deeperlife, catholic and Jehoval witnesses.
If you are a christian, can you please tell me which denomination Jesus attends??
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by mcnepow(m): 12:50pm On Feb 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

If you are a christian, can you please tell me which denomination Jesus attends??
Thats not the problem, their doctrine is where the wahala emanates from.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by bknight: 12:53pm On Feb 21, 2012
Human relationships r based on our fundamental perceptions and principles. These ideologies r formed by what school of thoughts we identify with. Partners that vary widely in how they see things in life will hardly go far in relative peace. For me, u may be the best saint but u r in celestian church? forget it, d day I know u r cele or u were once in cherubium n seraphim? Dat day we'll close shop for business. (Undue apologies to members of these sects, its just ♍Ɣ opinion and doesn't form d basis for any arguments).
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Feb 21, 2012
~Killz~:

It's not about marrying someone of a different denomination out of love. . . It's about staying in that love when it is tested by palavers brought about by family + denomination!
bknight:

Human relationships r based on our fundamental perceptions and principles. These ideologies r formed by what school of thoughts we identify with. Partners that vary widely in how they see things in life will hardly go far in relative peace. For me, u may be the best saint but u r in celestian church? forget it, d day I know u r cele or u were once in cherubium n seraphim? Dat day we'll close shop for business. (Undue apologies to members of these sects, its just ♍Ɣ opinion and doesn't form d basis for any arguments).

Thank you sirs. Has it ever crossed your mind what your reaction will be when your spouse starts shouting in tongues in the middle of the night when you need rest after a hard day's job?(and this is in your small room apartment o not a flat/even if na flat you wan dey comot from room every night? Pentecostal worship is flamboyant o, if you dont like their mode of worship dont even bother marrying from there.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Koolking(m): 1:02pm On Feb 21, 2012
It is absurd people are still petty in a relationship. Whatever happens to love lately? Op, There is every reason to let go in such relationship, it will not stand the test of time.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by jmoore(m): 1:06pm On Feb 21, 2012
While dating/courting it is wrong for anyone to force the other partner to change his or her denomination. But once you are married, it is very important that both of you attend same church.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Killz3(m): 1:09pm On Feb 21, 2012
Has it ever crossed your mind what your reaction will be when your spouse starts shouting in tongues in the middle of the night when you need rest after a hard day's job?(and this is in your small room apartment o not a flat/even if na flat you wan dey comot from room every night?
The love is strong enough to withstand that. . . grin I dont know why people keep deceiving themselves all in the name of love. It is this same group of blind lover's that'll turn around and castigate love, blaming love for their own error! Na wa o!
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by chinnyonwu(m): 1:09pm On Feb 21, 2012
Its safe to marry from any denomination as far as the person ur marrying knows the God she/ he is worshiping. Seriously, this is a personal decision ranging from individual to another.
Btw, killz, u seem to abuse people a lot these days. That aint cool
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by richy5(m): 1:12pm On Feb 21, 2012
Bleep you both, go for marriage tutorial
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by ayodele123(m): 1:18pm On Feb 21, 2012
Talking about marriage, i say and i mean it that love is not blind.
You have to discover certain things about your spouse and decide whether you can live with them for the rest of your life.
On my marital blog www.maritalsuccessresource.com, in a post titled ''Love Has Eyes And Cannot Be Blind', i wrote about the importance of Discovery and Acceptance before taking the commitment to marry your spouse.
Once you enter into it, no coming out because it is an everlasting bond that must not be broken.
If you have discovered something about the spouse and you know that you cannot live with it, please stay away.
Go ahead blindly, you will regret it later when your eyes open when it is too late.
Yes, Jesus did not create denominations but one message and one doctrine of salvation for Man.
Denominations emerged later and some denominations came with their own doctrines at variance with the Bible's doctrine.
There are cardinal christian doctrines which form the basis of the true Xtian faith which the Pentecostals subscribe to. Some xtian sects such as the Jehovah Witness and the Catholics operate doctrines which are in breach of the cardinal principles. It will be an error for instance where a Pentecostal marries a Jehovah Witness who does not believe in the existence of the Trinity, Holy Spirit, Heaven,Hell,Resurrection and others. Spiritual bonding matters a lot and must not be neglected on the altar of love.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 21, 2012
~Killz~:

The love is strong enough to withstand that. . . grin I dont know why people keep deceiving themselves all in the name of love. It is this same group of blind lover's that'll turn around and castigate love, blaming love for their own error! Na wa o!
They've not even started considering their spouse dropping offering of all sorts. By the time your husband sells the TV to give offering as pentecostals are wont to do, you will begin to understand that denomination no be beans. Talk about DAILY services that your spouse will attend(you better not even think of protesting abi you be familiar spirit)? Abeg make love dey one side, make wisdom dey one side. Even within the same denomination people never compatible, na for C& S member to dey find Winners' Chapel member to marry. Mo sorry gan.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by ocelot2006(m): 1:24pm On Feb 21, 2012
@ ayodele123, who told u the catholic faith don't believe in Heaven and Hell. Pls do a little more reading about the faith. Thanks.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by AZeD1(m): 1:27pm On Feb 21, 2012
fresh_dude:

Thank you sirs. Has it ever crossed your mind what your reaction will be when your spouse starts shouting in tongues in the middle of the night when you need rest after a hard day's job?(and this is in your small room apartment o not a flat/even if na flat you wan dey comot from room every night? Pentecostal worship is flamboyant o, if you dont like their mode of worship dont even bother marrying from there.
What if you belong to the same denomination but one shouts at night and the other does not? Changing denomination rarely changes personality and you should be marring based on the person not on the denomination.
Denominations can be changed but personality rarely does!!!
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by ayodele123(m): 1:36pm On Feb 21, 2012
I am talking fact and i stand to be corrected. My opinion and statements on this are well grounded. I do not create unnecessary controversies.I am a student of Comparative Religion and understand the doctrinal differences of many Xtian sects and denominations and how some deviate from standard Bible doctrines. In view of serious doctrinal differences at variances with Bible doctrines, it is akin to marital suicide for a true Xtian believer to marry a Catholic or a Jehovah Witness.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

What if you belong to the same denomination but one shouts at night and the other does not? Changing denomination rarely changes personality and you should be marring based on the person not on the denomination.
Denominations can be changed but personality rarely does!!!

Exactly the reason why I said even members of the same parish are not necessarily compatible(why look for trouble by going outside your denomination then). This is not to say that people of entire different religions cannot find compatibility in another, it's just as someone has said that our lives are lived on certain uncompromisable principles which inter-denominational relationship will test. Case in point-I don't personally know anyone who will deliberately marry an Ifa worshipper.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by youngzeal1: 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2012
it doesssssssssss
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by AZeD1(m): 1:58pm On Feb 21, 2012
fresh_dude:

Exactly the reason why I said even members of the same parish are not necessarily compatible(why look for trouble by going outside your denomination then). This is not to say that people of entire different religions cannot find compatibility in another, it's just as someone has said that our lives are lived on certain uncompromisable principles which inter-denominational relationship will test. Case in point-I don't personally know anyone who will deliberately marry an Ifa worshipper.
Using myself as an example, the some of the qualities i would like in my wife-:
1)Intelligence (not denomination based)
2)Independent(not denomination based)

My point being if everyone lists what he/she wants in a spouse, 95% of it would not be denomination based so would the denomination of the person be a problem.
Question: If you marry someone with denomination in mind and 5years down the line the person wants to change what will happen to the marriage?
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

My point being if everyone lists what he/she wants in a spouse, 95% of it would not be denomination based so would the denomination of the person be a problem.
Question: If you marry someone with denomination in mind and 5years down the line the person wants to change what will happen to the marriage?

And what would be the outcome if the remaining 5% outweighs the 95% requirements, eg, if you found the lady of your dreams to 95% and her only flaw(which makes up the 5% is stealing or lying or say a terrible temper) would you not reconsider? If you wouldn't I say goodluck and there's no point discussing further. I would however advise that you go and seek wise counsel from those who have been successfully for a period of at least 15-25years before your ideas on marriage are set. And I really do hope you aren't arguing for argument's sake.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

And what would be the outcome if the remaining 5% outweighs the 95% requirements, eg, if you found the lady of your dreams to 95% and her only flaw(which makes up the 5% is stealing or lying or say a terrible temper) would you not reconsider? If you wouldn't I say goodluck and there's no point discussing further. I would however advise that you go and seek wise counsel from those who have been successfully for a period of at least 15-25years before your ideas on marriage are set. And I really do hope you aren't arguing for argument's sake.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by AZeD1(m): 2:26pm On Feb 21, 2012
fresh_dude:

And what would be the outcome if the remaining 5% outweighs the 95% requirements, eg, if you found the lady of your dreams to 95% [b]and her only flaw(which makes up the 5% is stealing or lying or say a terrible temper) [/b]would you not reconsider? If you wouldn't I say goodluck and there's no point discussing further. I would however advise that you go and seek wise counsel from those who have been successfully for a period of at least 15-25years before your ideas on marriage are set. And I really do hope you aren't arguing for argument's sake.
fresh_dude you miss understand my post. The 5% you talk about is not denomination based,
This is my point, 95% of the things people will want in a spouse is not determined by the denomination of church the person attends hence, the reason i'm of the view that denomination does not matter in relationship(title of the post.).
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by ayodele123(m): 2:32pm On Feb 21, 2012
If the point of divergence is just 1%, and the factor behind the 1% is a core factor such as spiritual intimacy or bonding, do you know that 1% can pull down the other 99%?
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Dyamante(f): 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2012
This is proposterous!if it were between a christian and muslim i'd understand where he's coming from but this?its just plain redundant in my opinion.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Dyamante(f): 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2012
This is proposterous!if it were between a christian and muslim i'd understand where he's coming from but this?its just plain redundant in my opinion.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 21, 2012
ayodele123:

If the point of divergence is just 1%, and the factor behind the 1% is a core factor such as spiritual intimacy or bonding, do you know that 1% can pull down the other 99%?
Ehn o, exactly my point. Like I said a difference in denomination need not necessarily be the reason to end a relationship. However, if that difference poses threats and dangers to the relationship then it's best one of both parties toes the line of the other or call the relationship off altogether. It is so possible as a Winners' Chapel member to not find spiritual/religious/belief compatibility with even memberd of your very own parish and find it somewhere else, say an Anglican, it would therefore be foolish in this context to have nothing to do with that person who one has said compatibility with all in the name of differing denominations and have a problematic marriage with someone of the same parish with whom lacks such compatibility. My problem in this discourse is with people who consider problems stemming from denominational difference as petty and trivial hence, my analogy with the midnight-tongue-praying spouse.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by UcheCuba: 2:54pm On Feb 21, 2012
@ayodele123 -- you know next to nothing about the Catholic Church,how can you be comparing catholics with JW?, you are almost the same as the man in question, Catholics are even better than most of you so called 'holier than thou' pentecostals, am not a catholic but I grew up through their schools and doctrines and I know that you are just an empty drum making the loudest noise.
I was tempted to check your site but this one flaw has put doubt to whatever argument you have in your site.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

fresh_dude you miss understand my post. The 5% you talk about is not denomination based,
This is my point, 95% of the things people will want in a spouse is not determined by the denomination of church the person attends hence, the reason i'm of the view that denomination does not matter in relationship(title of the post.).
My point being that the 5% could be anything denomination inclusive. And not the denomination in and of itself but as the tool with which relational behaviour might(and most likely will) be based.
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by Killz3(m): 3:18pm On Feb 21, 2012
Hello guys,
Having attended Baptism of Holy Spirit Class at Winners Chapel, my wife has possesed the spirit of speaking in tongues and even prophesying in tonges too since October 2011 but i do not want that at all - the whole thing looks very strange to me, she herself has become a strange person to me, it scares me whenever she starts all those syllables of speaking in unknown tongues, even at some points, she goes in spirit.
As for me, I DON'T WANT ALL OF THESE AT ALL. HOW CAN SHE DO AWAY WITH ALL THAT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT IT AT ALL. Since she got that 'supposedly spirit of tongues' , i have never been sexually attracted to her again, our home has changed from being lively, bubbling to very moody one - is that how holy spirit works? Also, my haome has been experiencing all forms of unrest or the other between myself and her. Also, i am scared of loosing her to prophetic ministry.
I am a Baptist by denomination but she is a Winner. Because of this, i have instructed her to leave the church and start coming to my own church.
Please house, what is ur opinion. I want bthat spirit to leave her. Please, i don't want any abusive statement, be polite in ur answer.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-875201.0.html

This is what we are talking about! Why would anyone want this? Now you have the opportunity to call it off, but you think you are in love? Smh!
Re: Does Your Denomination Really Matter In Your Relationship? by ayodele123(m): 4:30pm On Feb 21, 2012
@Uche Chuba
I respect your opinion but i am not just making noise as you said above.
The secondary school i went to was founded by the Roman Catholic Church and the school has a Catholic Church.I have not stated which church i belong to. It is not a church issue and i am not promoting one church over another.
I am also not a saint or a holier-than-thou person. I am a sinner like every other man on Earth. Our salvation is by grace not by works.
Jesus said that not everyone who calls him 'Lord,Lord' that will enter into His Kingdom but they that do the will of His Father.
That one is a Pentecostal is no guarantee to make Heaven but he who does the will of the Father.
Information is power, that is why we are on this forum to share and to learn. If you have views that oppose what i have,present them for all to learn. It is not that one is running down other Xtian sects but stating undeniable facts for informational purposes.
Anyone can decide to marry anyone from any denomination or doctrine or tribe. Marriage is a personal choice. Love is also a choice but what i advocate is that love is a choice based on information. love is not blind and can only be blind to those who can not see. Christianity is a personal choice too and an individual race. we shall give individual accounts before Christ(2 Corinth 5;10) and shall be judged by His Word, undiluted. The Bible is not a secret document.It is open for all to read and search its beliefs.

@killz
  I do not think that it is right to advise the Baptist husband to quit the marriage. Marriage is sacred and must not be broken.For instance,if after marriage you came to discover that your wife is a witch,would you on that account pack it up? If he seperates from her, he must not enter into any other relationship as long as the wife is living. Marital Counselling is the solution for the Baptist Husband

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

/ Why Girls They Craze Like This. (PIC) / #justiceforjennifer: See Jennifer Present Condition After Being Raped By 5 Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.